Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Keeping everyone up to date Empty33%Keeping everyone up to date Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Keeping everyone up to date Empty67%Keeping everyone up to date Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Keeping everyone up to date Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Keeping everyone up to date Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Keeping everyone up to date Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Keeping everyone up to date Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Keeping everyone up to date Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Keeping everyone up to date EmptyKeeping everyone up to date Voting_bar2Keeping everyone up to date Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Keeping everyone up to date EmptyKeeping everyone up to date Voting_bar2Keeping everyone up to date Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Keeping everyone up to date

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TerishD

Keeping everyone up to date ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Keeping everyone up to date Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Keeping everyone up to date Empty
PostSubject: Keeping everyone up to date   Keeping everyone up to date Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2009, 9:28 am

This is just a - this is what I am doing - post. In case anyone is wondering.

Right now I am sitting with a cup of coffee, pot on a warmer behind me, and preparing to edit a manuscript. I am considering getting another one published. Not self-published, not done through a POD, but actually published. Time to up my prestige a notch.

I have two manuscripts that I believe can accomplish this task for me. The first is titled, "Lessons Never Taught." It is about an assassin and a hero that rides a pegasus. They become both involved in a rescue operation that does not gain them praise even though they succeed. The story is about their attempts to 'lie low' and allow time to pass, even as they try to figure out what the real problem is. I like the story and characters, but do not feel that it really broadens my writing ability. The story however is short, barely breaking 70,000 words, so actually has a chance to be accepted.

The other manuscript is "The Ocean Queen." This is the one I would prefer to get published. It is a 'coming of age' story of Vorfor who is the oldest son of the oldest son. The father of four children committed a serious crime that condemned him and separated the children. It is now years later, the children have found each other and settled into good lives, but the father has returned to again work his mischief. This is an epic tale of family and fantasy that I really like, but it shoots past 100,000 words so might be rejected simply on length.

I have edited the first manuscript, and gave a printout to a student at school. I expect it to run around the campus and generate some responses for me. The second one is now being edited. By the time this one is edited, I should be able to catch my first manuscript at school, make a switch in printouts, then encourage some students to do some more reading.

I will update when there is something to update. Should anyone else have projects keeping them busy, they can add them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Keeping everyone up to date Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Keeping everyone up to date   Keeping everyone up to date Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2009, 9:39 am

Length should not be a diving issue. Don't let that stop you from submitting.

I think you should go with the one you feel the most confident about, don't let word count count against you!

Good Luck with this!
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
HYdraMStar

Keeping everyone up to date Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Keeping everyone up to date Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Keeping everyone up to date   Keeping everyone up to date Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2009, 11:02 am

Best of luck to you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Just an update   Keeping everyone up to date Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2009, 5:13 pm

My short novel has received some good reviews from my students. I thus will probably run it through another edit, then send it somewhere.

My long novel has just been nixed by me. I came upon the chapter that introduced my bad guy, and realized just how graphic I was. The guy is so bad that pirates do not challenge him. He then comes ashore and kills a soldier. While attempting to flee while others are looking for who murdered the soldier, he meets a young couple -- murders the guy then rapes the lady. None of it is as simple as I have sound. I have to give myself credit for description, but I also nixed it.

I have instead turned to "Life is Its Own Complication." This is another bad-guy novel, but the evil of this bad-guy is more tolerable. The guy works with dead things, and zombie-making does not have the disgusting rating of sex (especially forced sex - yeah, you can have blood-soaked scenes in movies, but not any hanky-panky). My only problem with "Life is Its Own Complication" is that the main characters are not human, so it is slightly short on reader identification.

Anyway, moving forward.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

Keeping everyone up to date Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Keeping everyone up to date Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Keeping everyone up to date   Keeping everyone up to date Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2009, 5:34 pm

The one you nixed sounds better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Reply   Keeping everyone up to date Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2009, 7:33 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:
The one you nixed sounds better.
Hah! I do like that story, but I don't want offend at this point in my career. By the way, I have another that I really want to work on one day. It is the only tale that I ever had banned. "The Strange Fate of Fairplay" is a story of slavery using a magical situation to pull the topic of slavery away from our historic perspective, but I then allowed the story to sink into some pretty cruel situations. I pulled the story out, but no one ever got to see the 'better' chapters. I liked the story and wrote most of it (even though I knew they would never get posted), but in looking over the text I gained the impression that I never should have lightened up on the story. I have it as one of my challenges one day to re-engage the story and see just how low I can keep it.

Thanks for the comment, Hydra.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeping everyone up to date   Keeping everyone up to date Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Keeping everyone up to date
Page 1 of 1