Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
8 Rules of Writing Empty33%8 Rules of Writing Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
8 Rules of Writing Empty67%8 Rules of Writing Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
8 Rules of Writing Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
8 Rules of Writing Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
8 Rules of Writing Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
8 Rules of Writing Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
8 Rules of Writing Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
8 Rules of Writing Empty8 Rules of Writing Voting_bar28 Rules of Writing Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

8 Rules of Writing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kellycakes

8 Rules of Writing ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : 8 Rules of Writing Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

8 Rules of Writing Empty
PostSubject: 8 Rules of Writing   8 Rules of Writing Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2009, 4:48 am

Steve Berry's 8 Rules of Writing
September 05, 2008

Maui Writers Conference, Honolulu, September 2008. -- At the 2008 Maui Writers Conference, bestselling thriller writer Steve Berry says there are eight key rules that all writers must know and follow:

1. There are no rules. You can do anything you want as long as it works.

2. Don't bore the reader. You can bore the reader in a sentence, in a paragraph, by misusing words, poorly choosing words, using the wrong length, etc.

3. Don't confuse the reader. Don't misuse point of view. Don't do too much at once.

4. Don't get caught writing. Don't let you, the author, enter the story. (E.g., "And he never would see Memphis again." How would anyone other than the author know that the character would never see Memphis again?)

5. Shorter is always better. Write tight. It makes you use the best words in the right way.

6. Don't lie to the reader. It's OK to mislead, but don't lie. If you say the character's motivation is A and it turns out to be B (and you haven't foreshadowed it at all), the reader will feel cheated.

7. Don't annoy the reader. Don't use names that are hard to pronounce or write choppy sentences throughout the entire book. It keeps people from getting close to your characters.

8. You must tell a good story. Bad writing can be forgiven with a good story. A bad story with the most beautiful writing cannot.

Do you agree or disagree with his rules? Are they over generalized or are they simple and clean cut? I personally thought his answers were a bit general. Are these the only rules he follows?
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
Leaka

8 Rules of Writing Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : 8 Rules of Writing Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

8 Rules of Writing Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8 Rules of Writing   8 Rules of Writing Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2009, 4:24 pm

Number 7, The Dune series[I'm talking the science fiction one] tend to use funky and odd names that I can't pronounce and yet so many people like them.
And I like funny names sometimes, also if you put a how to pronounce at the end of your book or the front it should be okay I think.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

8 Rules of Writing Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : 8 Rules of Writing Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

8 Rules of Writing Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8 Rules of Writing   8 Rules of Writing Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2009, 4:40 pm

Kellycakes wrote:

7. Don't annoy the reader. Don't use names that are hard to pronounce or write choppy sentences throughout the entire book. It keeps people from getting close to your characters.

Awhile back my close friend Natalie read everything I have completed on The Chronicles of the Infernal Empire series, which mostly center around the life of Crown Prince Belial (a name which despite the fact it is fairly well-known many people have problems with saying and there are at least three "accepted" ways of pronouncing it that I know of). As the books progress his famiy is added to and other "demonic" characters move in and out of the story line.

Anyway, when she was about halfway through she called me and said some of the names were giving her trouble, but then "what where you suppose to name his children Brad and Jenny?"
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
fleamailman

8 Rules of Writing Topscribbler-1
fleamailman

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2009-01-17

8 Rules of Writing Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8 Rules of Writing   8 Rules of Writing Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2009, 5:17 pm

Quote :

"...total agreement here, readers are fickle, tastes change, and yesterday's "do"s are today's "don't"s, so look at Shakespeare and the Mona Lisa and see for yourself all those mistakes and oddities that those works contain, and then remember that what you write is not set in cement, you can change it as you like and that there is really only one benchmark to meet here, your own that is, simply "is it you from the heart here or something less"..." ventured the goblin not meaning to undermine anyone or anything here, only wishing that he could meet his own benchmark more often too

Last edited by fleamailman on March 4th 2009, 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TerishD

8 Rules of Writing ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : 8 Rules of Writing Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

8 Rules of Writing Empty
PostSubject: Reply   8 Rules of Writing Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2009, 5:48 pm

About #7, I work in a black school. I have strange names in my stories, but the kids around here don't find my names strange at all (and they pronounce them easily), while I have trouble remembering and pronouncing some of theirs.

About #1, that is simply 'established' publisher talk for: We can publish our crap because we can, and we won't publish your well-crafted manuscript because we won't.

I have read all eight at some time, and found cynical replies to all eight. I am not going to go on a tirade however. I will save it for a later date.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
TerishD

8 Rules of Writing ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : 8 Rules of Writing Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

8 Rules of Writing Empty
PostSubject: Later Date   8 Rules of Writing Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2009, 11:24 pm

Okay, let me tackle these -

Grammar and some basic rules of presentation - NO YOU CANNOT!
As for what type of characters, situations, and story plots - yeah, whatever, have fun.

2. Don't bore the reader. You can bore the reader in a sentence, in a paragraph, by misusing words, poorly choosing words, using the wrong length, etc.
Some people are easily bored, so this is a stupid rule. Don't bore yourself. Let me again state one of my often repeated statements, "If you are bored writing it, and go to sleep reading it, then REWRITE it until you are eager to quote yourself over and over."

3. Don't confuse the reader. Don't misuse point of view. Don't do too much at once.
Remember what I said about Rule #1? Let me repeat: Grammar and some basic rules of presentation - NO YOU CANNOT! Just for clarity however, let me stress that writers need to watch their use of pronouns. Oh, yes, PoV - keep it fixed (if not actually in the head) of a single person.

4. Don't get caught writing. Don't let you, the author, enter the story. (E.g., "And he never would see Memphis again." How would anyone other than the author know that the character would never see Memphis again?)
Uh, let me repeat what I said about Rule #1: As for what type of characters, situations, and story plots - yeah, whatever, have fun. There are some authors that do well with a more open writing style. I agree that it not a great writing PoV, but there can be a charm in it.

5. Shorter is always better. Write tight. It makes you use the best words in the right way.
BULL CRAP! Remember Rule #3. Make certain that your reader understands the characters, the locations, and the plot. If you don't, then your reader gets confused.

6. Don't lie to the reader. It's OK to mislead, but don't lie. If you say the character's motivation is A and it turns out to be B (and you haven't foreshadowed it at all), the reader will feel cheated.
This is actually good advice. However, speaking as a reader, I don't feel cheated. I feel like the author did not know what he was speaking about, then did not bother to edit once he figured it out. Again, if the author did not bother to reread his manuscript, why the hell should I read it?

HORSE HOCKEY! Okay, not horse hockey about choppy sentences. Why the author puts choppy sentences with strange names I do not know. Choppy sentences, yes that is bad. Strange names -HORSE HOCKEY! As stated in my previous statements about this rule, strange names will be given to actual babies - so use them at your leisure.

8. You must tell a good story. Bad writing can be forgiven with a good story. A bad story with the most beautiful writing cannot.
No. A good story with bad writing will be rewritten by somebody that knows how to write, and he will make the big bucks. You might make some residual money, but that other person will make the big bucks. Thus, take the time to write well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Sponsored content

8 Rules of Writing Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8 Rules of Writing   8 Rules of Writing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

8 Rules of Writing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: