Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Empty33%Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Empty67%Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) EmptyAbduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Voting_bar2Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) EmptyAbduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Voting_bar2Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TerishD

Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Empty
PostSubject: Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)   Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2020, 6:31 am

Abduction to Elfland
Chapter Thirteen

Morgan:
Learning of Elfland

I felt it to be wonderful to be riding a horse and not being ridden as a horse.  Michechio showed no displeasure in riding with her husband.  The large man did fill his saddle, but also provided enough man for the lady to gain a secure place whether she was truly comfortable or not.  I however heard her speak of being glad of having time away from her children, so felt her truly not lying in speaking of enjoying her place on her husband's horse.

Once a good way from the estate, Tough Link asked, "What did you notice wrong, Morgan?"

"Children.  I saw a number of children about the place.  During the visit I also heard the sounds of children, but only met those of the family."

"Strange, because the mission that originally had me come here involved a child.  Well, I have learned quite a bit since then.  Let me see if I can make use of that knowledge."

Michechio asked, "Are we going to La Belle's?"

"No, Darling.  You visit with her enough.  She is more than a friend, and will tell whatever she knows, but we need to get to the heart of this matter as quickly as possible.  Once Shirley has accepted her place, the Neyluborn Estate could turn unfriendly."

I had to ask, "You mean they might be doing something worse than turning people into horses?"

"With children, anything is worse."

I could not argue with that, although was glad Michechio moved the conversation along.  "So, where are going?"

"I don't know if we are going to go there, because it is far away as well but one of the places that would know about children is Never-Never Land."

I had to blurt out, "You mean Peter Pan?"

"Honestly, I doubt he would be any help.  Tinkerbell however should be able to supply us with information."

Just having to ask, "You mean that there really are such characters?"

"Yes, and we can speculate all we want about how they got here, and if they are the same ones in our stories.  From my experience they are the same ones, although specific details might not match."

"Okay, well, how far do we have to go to Never-Never Land?"

"Too far."

He brought his horse to a stop, which had me bring my mount to a halt.  While I had never ridden a horse, I found the commands taught to me worked on the horse that I was riding.  I thought it comical to now be voicing the sounds when I could not as an animal.  Finding my horse stop at my command, I felt more than able to work with those I was with.

Tough Link pulled out a scarf and spoke to a Queen Allenorrie.  He stated the situation with the Neyluborn Estate, then mentioned what I had said.  While I could not hear a reply, I was grateful when Tough Link let me know what information he had been given.

"There is a meadow over there.  Let's dismount and allow the horses time to graze.  Queen Allenorrie said that she would be sending Tinkerbell to us.  One never knows with faeries, so we just wait."

After giving my mount some liberty, I looked to Tough Link to say something I found funny.  "Are you saying that some of the Lost Boy might be lost?"

He did chuckle before saying, "And Peter would not care.  Tinkerbell might be a fairy, but that can be an asset at times."

"Are they the same lost boys as in the story?"

"No.  They all, except Peter, eventually lose the simple-minded joy and grow up."

Thinking of a movie I saw, I said, "And become pirates."

"Not necessarily.  It depends on them and their developing relationship with Peter as to what adult career they choose."

Michechio said, "Some have served the Knights of the Round Table as pages."

Not really being a King Arthur fan, I thought of something else.  "What happens to the girls?"

Tough Link said, "They mostly become mermaids.  Peter introduces them to mermaids, and they fall into the water and wind up as mermaids.  It almost happens to Wendy in the story."

Michechio said, "Those that do not become mermaids usually get captured by pirates and sold into one of the towns around the Sea of Dreams.  They usually end up being married and having a normal life."

A very high-pitched female voice could be heard even with a background of small bells stated, "Ending up with the very fate they hoped to avoid by going to Never-Never Land."

Tinkerbell did glow.  She was also very small.  While she did wear a green outfit, her yellow hair was long.  I found myself joining Tough Link and Michechio standing in a circle with Tinkerbell flying in the middle of us and turning toward whoever spoke.

Tough Link said, "Thank you for coming, Tinkerbell.  Morgan here," Tinkerbell spun to face me, and upon seeing me nod spun to look back at Tough Link, "says that when he was a horse he saw children come out of the Neyluborn Estate.  He then heard the sound of children when we visited last night.  I think Esmeralda is up to something with children she has abducted."

"You stopped the donkeys, and that was good, but they still filled a need."

"We are raising donkeys for the Boliauns.  It has actually helped giving them an honest exchange for the material they mine."

"The need went deeper than that, Tough Link.  Esmeralda is a mother, and loves children.  She does not want them hurt, A few children might suffer, but there is a deep desire to stop that."

The words from the fairy bothered me.  I accepted that Esmeralda had a reason for changing me into a horse.  I could even accept that abducting Shirley was not done with malicious intent.  However as someone who hoped to be a parent one day, I could not stomach bad things being done to children whatever the actual motives.

"Tinkerbell."  She spun to face me.  "Do you like children suffering?  You work with Peter and have to watch what happens with the children that come to Never-Never Land.  Do you really like what happens to them?"

"My only concern is Peter.  I like Peter."

Michechio said, "I am a mother, Tinkerbell."  The fairy turned to her.  "I would do whatever I could for my children.  If things got too bad, I would however call Tough Link and tell him my problem.  If Peter got himself involved in this, what problem would you tell Tough Link?"

"Peter cannot be involved, because Peter has only happy thoughts."

Tough Link said, "Thank you, Tinkerbell.  If we ask again, would you come?"

"You stopped the termite fairies, so have status.  I will come, but I will again not promise that I can help."

"Thank you, Tinkerbell.  Tell Peter that we wish him the best."

I believe my features showed my desire to interrogate Tinkerbell further, as Michechio looked to me and said, "You just cannot expect much from fairies."

"Just the opposite," Tough Link commented, "but you have to expect that they will tell you as much as you need."

I had to ask, "Like you telling me that there are things a man is not suppose to know?"

"Yes, something like that.  You either were thinking along the train of thought that would help you or not."

While I had none of the training to actually become a detective, as someone who had been affected by the present situation Tough Link said that I had what it might take to resolve the situation.  He had admitted that there really was not any official title of being a deputy detective, but also that this land of magic tended to adapt to oddities rather easily.  He gave me the title saying that we could discuss any real employment after the case was finished.  Tough Link had given me the hint I needed to restore my humanity, so I trusted him to have a way of thinking that would work with my own mind.  I thus put in some time considering what Tinkerbell said and our situation.

"Esmeralda works with nightmares.  Children have nightmares."

"Worse," Tough Link added, "they have night terrors."

I really did not know, so asked, "Those aren't nightmares?"

"No.  Cannot tell you what they really are, although they pass.  Nightmares can come upon anyone, and there are few rules about them.  I really haven't got a handle on what Esmeralda is up to, but I would bet it is something dream related.  The fact that she is working with children has me think night terrors, but I don't have any proof."

I let that topic drop, as I suddenly had another question.  "How did you know to contact me?"

"King Nezarraine contacted me about Esmeralda.  In trying to get some basic data on the situation, I learned about you.  The Neyluborn estate might be non-Seelie, but their work with nightmares has forced them to follow certain rules.  I learned someone would have been changed into a horse, and with some simple detective work figured out it was you.  That put the right things in motion that I could be flagged when you sought help.  As you will hear me say, there are rules on this side.  Sometimes they can work to our advantage."

"But you turned me into a horse."

"No, you were a horse.  You were fatigued from getting almost no sleep from working during the day then serving as Esmeralda's steed at night.  I gained authority from King Nezarraine to look into your case, so when you sought official help on your world I could also provide counsel from this world.  When I made contact, you easily lost your hold on your reality and came into this one.  You however came over as a horse, which let me know the seriousness of the situation.  Trust me, if you had a different mentality or made another choice then you would not be Morgan Neblett anymore."

Those words really did not have me feeling the best, so I weakly asked, "Esmeralda is that powerful?"

"She has a strong connection to the magic of this world, and during this time of seeking a spouse to continue her family she has a lot of license."

"Okay, but she did not seem overly disturbed to have me not as a horse.  My returning to being a man did not upset things with her?"

Michechio supplied the answer, "Her license is to win a wife for Ralph.  Shirley seemed to be adjusting, and that is all Esmeralda truly was concerned about with you.  If Shirley had been resisting becoming a member of the family, Esmeralda might not have been glad to see you."

Tough Link added, "And if we had gone looking for the children, Esmeralda might have tried something."

I had to ask, "About the children, where did they come from?"

"Oh, there are a number of ways they can get here.  I know when I originally came here to find Shinny's boy I ended up bringing home many more children as well.  I however believe that Ralph picked up strays on his trips to the other world to look for a wife."

"So he will possibly be incriminated too."  Seeing both of my companions nod, I felt a need to assure my own place.  "What are the rules on me now that I am here."

"Hate to tell you, but you came here of your own free will.  That means you are fair game to whatever mischief you are able to find or finds you."

Last edited by TerishD on August 9th 2020, 6:37 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Fourteen   Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2020, 6:41 am

Abduction to Elfland
Chapter Fourteen

Morgan:
Seeking Objectives

We did not get far today, as I was collapsing. All the days and nights of being active, either as myself or as a horse, were catching up with me. I had gotten good sleep the night before, but there was still an anxiety being in the home of the lady who had changed me into an animal. Tough Link really did not want to go far from the Neyluborn Estate, as he did not want to get too far from helping the children. The slow movement however had him and Michechio notice me start to doze off on my steed, so they went ahead and set up a camp.

As I worked to clean my plate before heading back to bed, I heard the lady ask, "Tough Link, if the children were brought here, how would they be changed? It could not be in the same manner as Morgan. The children are not donkeys, so the cabbage is not being used."

I said, "And Esmeralda was pretty cold with me. She let me know that I was a horse, and that was basically how she treated me. From what I saw, the children are being treated as children, and pretty well at that."

Tough Link replied, "If I knew, or even suspected, what she was up to, I might speculate on an answer. She might be hoping for a child to experience night terrors so she can capture the essence. She might even be scaring the children on occasions to have them show her what frightens them."

"The blacksmith once called me a daymare. Is there such a thing?"

Tough Link acted as if he had to think for a moment before answering, "Basically, an anxiety attack. Something that frightens you while awake. It is possible for a nightmare to go about in the day, but it is not common. As for there actually being daymares, no."

I had to admit that I did not get the impression the blacksmith was referring to an actual creature. What bothered me was if he was referring to something he had heard over the years from working with nightmares, or if he was referring to something he had heard from the schemes of Esmeralda. Considering that he had not repeatedly referred to me as a daymare had me think that it was just something on his mind at the moment. Wondering why it had been bothering his thoughts, I tried to gain an impression of the actual level of the relationship between the blacksmith and Esmeralda.

Even though I was sleeping on the ground, I felt truly able to rest. While I had slept as a horse, the limits of the body did not allow me the comfort of complete relaxation. Michechio provided a couple of blankets, and wrapping myself up in them I was fully able to gain rest.

I felt myself disturbed, and when I came to I heard the voice of Michechio say, "Wake up. I got breakfast ready."

As I untangled myself from the blankets, I said, "I feel that I could sleep for a few more days."

It was the voice of Tough Link that replied, "Probably could, but we need to stay active on this case. I made my reputation going after children, and I don't plan on letting my reputation tarnish."

I could not argue with working to save children. I thus got up and did what I could to start my day. I had brought a few changes of clothes, but what I considered proper fashion this world did not. Honestly, most of what I brought was considered useless. Michechio told me that she would fix better meals than what I had in the cans. Tough Link gave me a knife that was bigger and heavier than the one I thought to use for protection. He was much larger than me, but having one of his vests covering me gave me a look of authority. He spoke of possibly buying me some local clothes should we find a place with a tailor. I definitely spoke of my gratitude for what the couple were providing. I found myself unable to argue with what Tough Link said in return.

"Right now consider your food and stuff to be your pay for working with me on this case. Once it is done, then we can talk about other things."

"You think I might want to stay?"

"I have. Some however say that this land wanted me, as it provided ladies for me. I am thus going to watch how this land treats you. Like I said, we can talk about things later."

Attempting to make sense of what he said, I looked to Michechio then said, "Shirley is to be married."

Even though I was looking at his wife, Tough Link answered calmly. "Nothing wrong with marriage. It's a good thing, especially if you get a good woman. I hope Shirley is a good lady for Ralph. However, Ralph has a job, I have a job, and what I am interested in is if you get a job. How were you doing in school?"

"Mostly As, well, mostly Bs. Still, I'm a good student."

"Shows in the way you act. Listen, did Esmeralda just keep you about the property?"

I almost told him, 'Yes,' except I remembered the trip with Doris. I felt good being able to remember the route I took. By then I had been a horse long enough that I followed certain commands by instinct, so my conscious thoughts drifted to other things besides the road. There were some odd sights that did have me look at my surroundings, so I was able to tell Tough Link things about the journey.

It was Michechio that said, "That estate is in the Weird Woods."

Tough Link replied, "Yes, as being a normal horse Morgan could not cross the valley of fire or go an extreme distance. I would say for us to head to the Castle of Seven Towers, then maybe Nemarble."

I looked at our mounts, then said, "We are using normal horses."

"But we are not pulling a buggy. We will have to walk with our horses through sections, and hope for good weather, but we can move along the coast."

Michechio said, "Phutra deals in slavery, so they might know of abductions."

"Let's see what information those in the Castle of Seven Towers can provide. They are Seelie, so I can claim a little authority in seeking answers. Phutra is not Seelie, so I would have to be a little more tactful."

While I had heard the term, I found my association with it being a country to be improper, so I had to ask, "If they are not Seelie, what are they?"

It was Michechio that replied, "Not Seelie."

Tough Link gave the substantial answer, "Seelie means blessed. There are a number of reasons one might not want the blessing of the unifying government. Let me stress, there are a number of non-criminal reasons for not wanting the blessing of the unifying government. There are things done under the law that disturb me, and there are things done outside the law that fully meet with my approval. My being connected to the Seelie court blesses me with support in various ways, but I cannot treat my status with any claim of greatness. I work to maintain my reputation among the Seelie and non-Seelie, but part of that is respecting the ways of both."

I had to ask, "But in working with the government don't you have the ultimate authority?"

"Not in a land of magic. There are a multitude of rules active in this land. Worse, the rules change. That is why most people stay in one place. They find a place that agrees with them, and learn to fear leaving it. Since I do move about, I have learned to be careful and polite. Also, I keep my focus on my objective. I am not going to Phutra because I don't believe the abductions are the problem. They are a disturbing detail, but not the problem."

It was Michechio that replied, "I can agree with that, Tough Link."

"Good. Now, I will admit that those of Phutra might know something, but to get them to talk I need to know how to ask the questions. Hopefully, those in the Castle of Seven Towers will be able to get me to see the questions."

"I can agree with that as well, Tough Link. I will start having us ready for travel."

The couple put me to work doing various things to clean and pack the things set out. I had no reason not to help, and actually enjoyed doing things with the couple. Tough Link had a very dry manner about him, but so did Captain Blaylock. While I enjoyed my time with the police officer, the presence of Michechio helped to bring out a lighter side to Tough Link that had me enjoying his company. Soon enough the work was done, and I cheerfully mounted a horse looking forward to another day with the couple.

With a destination in mind, the rate of travel was a little faster. I found myself recognizing a climb, and heard that we were passing over a line of rock, not really mountains, that extended out into what could be best described as an ocean. The Ogres Tongue Cape went out far enough to separate the Bay of Dreams from the Bay of Moaning. I was told that there was a way to follow the rock out to a watch tower, then cross a bridge of very large eggs to the western beacon of this land. Tough Link admitted to seeing one island out beyond the beacon, but had never been to it and knew nothing of any lands beyond. Hearing the information, I found the travel much more pleasant than I did as a horse.

Descending I also recognized the path I had been directed to turn onto. Michechio told me that route would have us go into the Weird Woods. She claimed to be from a forested area further south called the Witch Woods, although I never heard her say anything of family. Tough Link directed me to follow a path that led toward the large body of water pointing out a glow to the southeast that could be seen even in the day that he said was an upper eruption of the Valley of Fire.

I saw our destination long before we could reach it. There was a sandy beach with some boats pulled up on the shore. Tough Link and Michechio spoke of what they could recognize of sailing vessels out in deeper water. Telling me to be on my best behavior, we carefully descended the rocky land to reach our destination.

Looking for a place to camp near a flow of fresh water, I heard one man say, "Seelie," before spitting.

Another man who approached made an identification, "Tough Link? Heard of you, but never met. I heard your wife was a puppet."

Tough Link replied, "Sounds like you heard nothing bad about us."

"What brings you out here?"

"Coming from the Neyluborn estate heading to the Castle of Seven Towers. Something is troubling me, but haven't yet put my finger on it."

The man raised his voice in asking, "Hey! Any of you men been having nightmares?"

One replied, "I will tonight."

Tough Link raised his voice as he said, "Sounds to me like you have a guilty conscience."

The one who seemed to be in charge asked, "Could we buy you off, Tough Link?"

"Sure. We have some abduction problems. Okay, the problem is not with abductions, but I feel something is being done with those abducted, especially children, that no one should be happy with."

"Sounds like something that shouldn't bother us. Still, don't want you to lose your focus and talk to the knights about some other things you might see. Give me time to think. Might have something for you."

As the man walked off, I had to ask, "What type of criminals are they?"

Tough Link replied, "Don't know. What he is doing is keeping me from snooping around. I'm not a cop, so I won't arrest anyone. I however am an investigator, so I will snoop around. Now, I actually have no reason to snoop around his camp, but I probably would make a visit just to see what I could. What he is doing is checking to see if he can satisfy my curiosity or at least direct me to snoop somewhere else." He then came to put his arms around me as he softly explained, "Now, I am not doing anything wrong. Remember, the worst thing you can do in this world is lose your focus. Snooping around could reveal an important crime, but I would say whatever I would find would have me drop my present case. If this guy can do something to keep me focused on my mission, he is actually doing me a great favor and I will allow him to only worry about the next authority from the Seelie Court who he encounters."

As he moved away, I asked, "Your wife was a puppet?"

"This is an amazing land. Still, remember what I said about keeping your focus. It's the distractions that will get you."
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Fifteen   Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2020, 6:57 am

Abduction to Elfland
Chapter Fifteen

Shirley:
Accepting a New Life

Shirley cautiously advanced wondering what had happened with one of the children. She had been admiring some of the paintings in the house when a child screamed. Seeing Esmeralda rushed from a parlor to descend to wherever the children were kept had Shirley feel that she should follow. Stepping out into the hallway it was obvious that none of the servants went behind the lady of the house. Even those who had the duty of attending Esmeralda did not act. Wondering what she would find, Shirley did advance to the basement where the children were housed.

Coming to the foot of the stairs, she saw a wonderful room for children. Toys were scattered about with pillows and blankets randomly placed as well. The children were huddled in a corner with them holding stuffed animals. Inside a room defined by metal rods acting more like a fence than walls was a child was on a white table with a padded surface. Moving from the stairs, she saw a number of metal tables inside the area with Esmeralda doing something.

The elder lady looked at her, then motioned with her fingers while saying, "Come on."

Shirley worked a latch on a gate giving access into the sectioned off area while saying, "No one followed you, and I felt you might need help."

"No one can help us ladies in bringing a child into this world, and not that many people can help with the nightmares. There is a lot to this life that one must do on their own." Esmeralda then handed a large glass bulb to Shirley while saying, "Keep a hand on the top here. Cannot let what is inside escape."

The material of the bulb was not clear, but Shirley could see something brightly moving. It had the brilliance of lightning as it formed streaks within the confines of the sphere. She did not feel any shock, but something definitely troubled her in holding the object. What distracted her from attempting to observe whatever was inside the bulb was seeing Esmeralda move a sturdy shiny cage holding a large wolf near the table with the child.

The animal was held lying down by the size of the cage. It clearly had been chained to a board, then slid into the metal container. As another table was brought near the cage, Shirley watched as the animal was pulled out of the enclosure with the board it was tied to set on the table.

Shirley had to ask, "What are you doing?"

Esmeralda replied, "My best. Now stay quiet and do as you are told."

The elder lady started doing something that clearly seemed to be magic. There was a chant as substances were dispersed or set on either child, wolf, or both. Shirley at first just stood and watched. After the elder lady had her give back the bulb, Shirley was instructed to start joining in on the chant and performing other little acts.

She jumped when the top of the bulb was quickly released and set against the wolf. Something horrible came out. It was not lightning, but flashed while making a horrible noise. After quickly moving to assure that she had not disturbed or broken anything in her jump, she looked to the board to see a man now on the table.

The voice of a man said, "The silver does not bother me. Am I cured?"

Esmeralda replied, "I believe so. We will keep you another night, then you owe me."

"You have already been paid, Dame Neyluborn. I will simply leave glad to have given you the money."

Shirley did not like putting the man back in the cage, as the position did not look comfortable. It did help that he was allowed a blanket taken from those about the larger room with the children. After rolling the man back into another room, Shirley found some pleasure in taking the child and making it comfortable against a wall.

Helping Esmeralda put things back up in the fenced off area, Shirley asked, "You restored a werewolf?"

The elder replied, "It is not my objective, but something I have managed to achieve. I am seeking to make what I call a bright wolf."

"Never heard of a bright wolf."

"Nightmares have their darkness. Children however suffer something even darker. Their fright bothered me with each of my children. A horse is wrong, but dogs and horses can work well together. I want a wild animal that will bring moments of ecstatic joy in the same manner a nightmare will bring a sensation of intense horror."

Considering the things she had learned, Shirley accepted the information even as she asked, "What made you think of werewolves?"

"Oh, they roam in the area. One thing you have to be wary of. They were just a convenient source of research. Finding a cure for them helps keep my keeping of children from troubling others. Also, the fact that the children are not being harmed. I am worried that my research might have to go in that direction, as I might find the cure to be worse than the disease."

"Sounds like no one will be harmed. The werewolves are cured."

"They shouldn't be." The elder lady paused, but seeing Shirley only look at her caused more information to be said. "I don't want to restore the man, but purge him from the body of the wolf. The problem is that the form is a result of the curse of lycanthropy. If I can retain the wolf without any taint of the curse or the man, then I can begin working to infuse the form with the magic to create a bright wolf. That's my present theory anyway."

Shirley found herself having to ask, "The man gets killed?"

"It is not like we haven't been killing werewolves."

"Does Ralph know about this?"

"No. Oh, he surely knows that I am doing something with the werewolves, but I doubt he cares. Like I said, they are a nuisance with us historically killing them. The nightmares give him enough to do, and if his mother wants to do things with werewolves that does not bother him."

Hearing the sounds of activity return to the larger room, Shirley asked, "What about the children?"

"They are not being hurt. As the lady of the house, you have the authority to manage things as you will. If you want urchins about, it's not the man's business."

"So, you would prefer me not telling him?"

The eyes of the elder lady seem to radiate hope as she said, "Assuming you are wanting to tell him anything at all."

"I am finding myself willing to join the family."

"You have already been working with me, so I believe you can make a decision. Let me however warn you that there is no going back. You agree to join with my Ralph, and your life becomes here."

Shirley did pause for a moment to think, but could not help but say, "It seems like a wonderful life."

"It is, but Ralph gets to show you that. This time is of acceptance. If you do accept then I call Ralph back, and he gets to take you on a ride with the nightmares, then rides of other kinds."

Shirley did catch the inflection in the final words, but only smiled in response. What concerned her was notifying her parents. Esmeralda mentioned a number of details, but smiled in telling Shirley that they could take the time to discuss certain matters.

The young lady did not like the idea that she would not have an actual wedding. What stopped her from refusing to join with the man was the magnificence of the house around her. While it did state a time before the life she knew, the love her parents had in taking them to old places had her accept that her life here would be something special. She could not only look at the artwork in her leisure, but all the items she remembered being sealed behind glass would be hers to handle as she desired. The magnificence of the house would be hers should she allow herself to be wedded to Ralph.

Esmeralda left her next day while working with the nightmares. Shirley looked around the dark expanse, and realized that she did not fear the creatures around her. She in fact went up and hugged one liked she would treat any other animal. Seeing the nightmare turn to look at her, she went back to working around it while making a cheerful statement.

"You might as well get used to it, as I am going to make this my home."

She paused watching what appeared to be the animal moving its head up and down in acknowledgement. Shirley might have tried to speak further to the animal, but heard a fairy mention a need to perform a certain action. As she obeyed the tiny being, Shirley thought to get wisdom about the animals around her.

"Are the nightmares intelligent?"

"They can sense the thoughts of others to enhance the fear of their presence."

Getting such a full response from a fairy was unusual. They did not chat, and tended to only make short statements to any attempt to start a conversation with them. Wondering if this fairy actually felt like talking, Shirley decided to voice a general feeling in the hope of getting further responses.

"I'm not scared around them."

"Then Ralph chose correctly in choosing you."

Accepting her connection to Ralph, Shirley said, "I believe this will be a good life."

"This family has done very well. The nightmares have their place, but you need to accept your place with them."

Shirley turned to work with another nightmare feeling good about being introduced to his life. She hugged this creature like she did the last one. It snorted, but did not cause her any feeling of fear. Feeling good about Ralph returning to the house as her husband, Shirley performed her work.
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Sixteen   Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2020, 6:24 am

Abduction to Elfland
Chapter Sixteen

Morgan:
Traveling with a Fox Lady

As we ate our supper, the man who had spoken with Tough Link earlier came with a person, obviously a lady, under a blanket. After hearing Tough Link recognize him, he pushed the blanket covered female forward, then removed the covering. I did not think the lady was that lovely, but seeing a head like a fox and a long bushy tail behind her had me wonder about her. What looked like gray through her reddish fur had me think she was old, but no wrinkles could be seen. I thought the man would speak about her, but he instead spoke on something else.

“There are things a man will risk thinking he could make money. Maybe, but time is money as well. I would rather just relieve myself of the whole damn problem.”

It struck me as a little strange when Tough Link replied, “Ten yen.”

“Come on, Tough Link, fifty.”

Michechio was given a chance to speak, and she clearly made it known that she did not need anyone, especially a fox lady. Tough Link then spoke of the man bringing the lady to him as if he simply wanted to get rid of her. The man however mentioned our destination of the Castle of Seven Towers enabling an easy sell of hundreds of coins. Both of those with me let it be known that they did not deal with slavery, except when it was done unlawfully, so did not have the contacts to assure a good price. While things did not sound good for the man, I heard numbers interjected in the conversation with the fox lady being left in our care after a payment of twenty pesos.

As Tough Link looked the lady over, he asked his wife for a collar. I noticed that he took out a tool to release a shiny neckband. As he put on one that was blue, I heard the fox lady ask a question as if feeling uncomfortable with the new item around her throat.

“Are you giving me a name?”

“No,” Tough Link answered. “I’m Seelie, so just put a collar on you saying that you are Seelie. I’ll let you tell me what to call you.”

“It’s a dog collar.”

“It was a dog collar. Things we will do for kids. I did not like it when the dog was grabbed by a troll and eaten, but the story told sounded true enough of the kids giving the animal to the troll with the evidence of them removing the collar having me give the children a lecture. Kept the collar as I actually planned to get another dog. Anyway, for the moment it is a fox lady collar.”

“I ask you again, are you going to give me a name?”

Tough Link stood to tower over the fox lady as he asked, “Really? You really want us to give you a name like we would give to any other animal?”

“You have no chance of hearing my story otherwise.”

“I told you that I would not give you a name. Michechio?”

Tough Link’s wife replied, “Needay. It’s the name of my stuffed toy fox. I gave her that name because of her sharp nose like a needle.”

I did not think the fox lady’s nose was sharp. She did have a head like a fox with large furry ears on top of her head and a long hairy tall. The gray in her reddish hair still had her look rather old, but I really did not see it in her form or hear it in her voice. She was dressed in a loose yellow blouse and red skirt. Since her arrival had interrupted our meal, we allowed her to fix a plate. The fox lady complimented us on our menu as she sat down to eat.

She basically ate as we did. The projecting mouth did not seem to bother her on chewing her food. She did however show some concern in drinking from a glass, as I saw her tilt her head to pour the liquid into a side of her mouth.

After gaining permission to get another helping of food, Tough Link said to the fox lady as she rose, “You’re too pretty to be a bogle.”

Needay continued to where she could put food on her plate as she asked, “Was that a compliment?”

“You can take it that way if you want. I however am wondering if you even know what a bogle is.”

“I do. No, I’m not a bogle. Not a lycanthrope either. I know they put silver on me, but it was not bothering me while your collar did until I started eating.”

“Lycanthrope. I’m glad you said that. Not that I think you are one, but it just reminded me of something. Do you know where you are from?”

She moved to sit back down while saying, “The forest at the foot of Monsalvat. Nothing more specific than that, but I do know that. Morgan LeFay would not claim me, but I grew up knowing that I could get a meal at her estate.”

“Then I apologize for the collar. I mean Morgan LeFay is not kind to those Seelie.”

“You’re feeding me, and allowed me to get seconds. The collar is not bothering me at the moment.”

Things went quiet for a time, then she asked, “You’re not interested in my story?”

Michechio replied, “No, Needay. We have at least two days to reach civilization, and probably two more to reach the Castle of Seven Towers. You can tell us things as you want. Right now we have another problem, so you just present us with a distraction.”

“Oh. Well, in case you want to know, the pirate lost money on me. He paid twenty-five for me.”

Tough Link said, “And he is going to Phutra. I suspect he recognized that they would only see you as food. What kept him from going to another port?”

“The tritons were bringing down a ship that got caught in the Great Whirlpool. I guess a stupid captain or navigator. Anyway, fighting the water hurt the vessel enough that the people of the water could overcome it. My captain fought them acting as if to rescue the vessel, but he instead put all the crew and passengers in chains and claimed all their possessions. He will make enough money in Phutra to make up for the loss of selling me.”

“But the captain was holding you personally.”

“Well, yes, as his crew would have continually raped me and made me worthless to whoever.”

Again things went silent for a time. I finished my plate, washed it, then settled to simply sipped the wine wishing I had the option of a soft drink. As Tough Link handed his cleaned plate to his wife to put away the dishes, he broke the silence.

“Needay, I guess I would like to hear your story. That however does not mean that I am in a rush to hear it. Like my wife said, we have some days of travel ahead. If you get bored watching the road pass, you can tell us.”

I saw her look to the horses, then ask, “Are you going to make me walk?”

“Nope. You get to ride with my deputy. I did not see any luggage brought with you, so it should not be a problem.”

Needay looked at me, then turned back to Tough Link to say, “No, all I have I am wearing, and I might not even wear this.” I then saw her look to me to ask, “Those your blankets over there?”

When I nodded, she suddenly shrank in size to become an actual fox. As she came from her clothes, I saw that the gray that had covered her body was more of a silver with the red adding nice highlights. Remembering my own days as an animal, I felt a need to ask a question.

“Can you talk?” When the vixen simply looked at me, I explained, “I just went through a period as a horse. I could not talk.”

The voice from the animal sounded the same as the lady. “You were a horse?”

“The Neyluborn estate needed a special intelligent horse to abduct their desired bride, and somehow they chose me.”

“You must have been romantically involved with her.”

That accusation shocked me, but I did admit, “No, although I wanted to be.”

“Well, I bet they noticed your wanting to be. I guess they let you go.”

“It’s not something I like to think about. Tough Link gave me a clue, but really none of the choices I thought were good. I guessed right however.”

“One thing I learned from Morgan LeFay was that things could make sense if you studied them enough, but the rules change to make the study never enough. You got to go with your gut. Sometimes you are right, and find yourself escaping. Sometimes you are wrong, and find yourself wearing a Seelie collar. Still, you seem like good people, so I am allowing that you do own me. Riding with a fox should be a lot less trouble than riding with a lady. Sleep well.”

It troubled me when she darted off, but Tough Link said, “She is probably just going to handle some business. I doubt she will go far, as the pirates are out there and I am certain would hunt her.”

Mechichio rose to take the abandoned garments and start folding them as she said, “From her question, I suspect she will be curled up next to you in the morning, Deputy.”

They did not call me by my name. There was supposed power in a name. I had noticed that most people were called things. Michechio however seemed to be the name of Tough Link’s wife, and Esmeralda sounded like a name to me. As I had heard Needay say, the rules were not simple or consistent. I allowed it was best for them to simply call me Deputy, as it would assure I got paid for my work with Tough Link.

That night I woke up feeling my nose tickled. I came awake only to hear a female chuckle. The light was not good, but the moonlight did allow me to realize that Needay had used her tail to bother me. Instead of scolding her, I simply made a comment while rubbing my nose.

“I guess you like being a fox. I did not like being a horse.”

“I was born this way. I actually grew up as a fox. Morgan LeFay said that I had to have been born of a human lady, or one like me in human form, as my shape-changing ability in the womb would have killed a fox. I do not know my parents, or really anyone like me. I was told there might be others in the Witch Woods or the Weird Woods, so that is why I left the foot of Monsalvat.”

Her words had me think she wanted to talk. Why she thought the middle of the night was a good time, I could not say. Still, I was awake and not really mad at her. My brother would wake me up from doing a lot worse stunts than just tickling my nose. I thus allowed that I would talk for a while.

“Well, Tough Link is telling me to keep my focus on our mission. I guess we could help you next, but right now we are on a mission.”

“Yes, that is good advice. Okay, I will ride along and get to know you better. You seem like a good kid. What kind of lady are you looking for?”

It helped that it was night, as I felt the darkness hid any signs of the embarrassment I felt. “I don’t know. I was just looking. I chose Shirley simply because I thought she was someone like me.”

“Someone like you. Yes, I guess that is what I am looking for as well. I mean, someone like me for me. I guess I will see if I can learn about you. Maybe if I can find someone like you, you will look for someone like me.”

“I have no problem with letting you know if I find someone like you. I feel it might be easy for me, as I really do not think I will find many like you. However, girls are rather common.”

“Not the right girl, Deputy. The right girl is special. I help you look, and you help me look. Deal?”

Again remembering what I was told, I said, “No. I said I will let you know if I find someone like you. I am on a mission, and will put my focus there. I just am allowing that I might find another fox person, and that with you being with us telling you will not be anything that should disrupt my focus.”

“Okay, then. I will allow that I might find someone I think is like you, and let you know. Did you think Shirley was pretty?”

“Yes. Well enough.”

“Do you think I am pretty?”

Not really being able to see her in the dark, I could only speak about what I felt when I had been able to look at her. “I felt your gray color made you look old.”

“Oh. Well, okay, so you want a young one. For your information, I’m not old. I am older than I would like to be, but I just kept a youthful dream that a man for me would come longer than I should have. Still, when I left, I got captured and now I am your property. I happen to like you however.”

“You’re not my property. Tough Link bought you.”

“I’m riding with you, and sleeping with you. This collar I am wearing was for an animal given to Tough Link’s kid. I thus feel that I am not his pet, but actually the property of someone associated with him. That means you. Take care of me.”

“What?” The statement took me a moment to process, but I finally just felt a need to say, “I won’t hurt you.”

“Okay, well can you promise me that you won’t remove my collar around a troll?”

“Yes, I can promise you that.”

“Sounds like a start. Good night, Deputy.”
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Seventeen   Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Icon_minitimeAugust 4th 2020, 6:37 am

Abduction to Elfland
Chapter Seventeen

Shirley:
Starting my Married Life

Shirley felt so glad that she was in a good mood. She had so many reservations about claiming Ralph as her husband. Not being able to tell her parents, not having a wedding, and simply the fear of spending the night with a man all had her very worried. She however had enjoyed her dates with Ralph, and he had properly introduced himself to her parents. Having spent time around the nightmares, she accepted what he had to do with the courtship, and felt glad that their first night as man and wife had gone so well.

While she had worked with Esmeralda, who now would be called Mother, Ralph had a method with the nightmares that had him doing more with the special animals. He laughed when Shirley hugged one, then grabbed the animal to saddle it so she could ride it. The experience had been completely exhilarating. She remembered that her mother-in-law had told her that Ralph could teach her to ride the nightmares, and Shirley found herself so glad to have married him as she came back down from a lengthy aerial circuit.

She had to ask, "Ralph, these are nightmares?"

He calmly replied, "Well, yes. What else could they be?"

"Well, I'm just not frightened in their presence."

"Oh, there are periods when you feel it. We have to trust the fairies in those times. Still, they are not evil. Just like the fairies, they have a purpose. We care for them. We do not direct them or control them. We can, like when you ride them, but you have to allow the balance. When something great is disrupting the land at large, we who work with the nightmares tend to know."

Actually feeling that she understood what he said, Shirley decided to ask a question concerning something that did trouble her. "What about my world? Do these also affect my world?"

"Yes, but how much I cannot say. Before you ask, yes, you can ride one of these to your home. Don't rush it however, as it is not an easy ride. I will be sending your letter along with some from Mother and me, but it will be at least a few months before I allow you to chance the crossing."

Still thinking on the topic, Shirley mentioned something about what could affect her training with the nightmares. "Your mother seems to want me to work with her."

"Listen, that is really your call. The women that get brought in do gain authority. Mother has worked to advance her plans. Still, this is your home and I am lord of the estate. If you do not want to help Mother, I would just say to do what you can to assure that her notes will be in a manner that maybe a future lady of the house can continue the work."

"No. I mean, she seems to be working on something good. I don't mind helping her, but I feel the nightmares are more important."

"Well, I would agree with that, but I would also say that as the lady of the house you should learn what the previous lady of the house was doing. Listen, Shirley, this is a new life for you. Take time with the horses and help Mother until you feel comfortable enough to make some real decisions. I understand you wanting to spend time with your family, but I must stress that you need to learn about this family at present."

Shirley could not argue with Ralph, so changed the subject to something else that bothered her. "Ralph, does this world have slavery?"

"Yes, but it really does not apply to us. Yes, we purchase some people, but it is just the best way to bring people here. Those we bring here are to do a job. They can leave, but it is just dangerous to do so. The purchase is just an agreement that they had no better option for employment and we were slightly desperate to get someone to do the work. Why, is someone complaining?"

"No, no. I was just thinking about the children."

"Well, they're not slaves. They are really not worked at all. Like I said, as lady of the estate you have a lot of authority. I would ask you not to bother Mother, but if you want to take an interest in assuring the future of the children you have the right."

Shirley thought back to what she saw her mother-in-law do, then had to admit, "No, as she seems to be working on something good. I mean, what I know of werewolves is not good, and she cured a person of the affliction."

"Yes, lycanthropy is a bad thing. I believe mother experimented on one, just because we kill the pests, so decided it would not hurt to test something of her theory. The fact that she cured the person actually surprised her."

Shirley saw the smile on her husband, and had to smile as well with the memory of what happened. "Well, it's your mother, Ralph, and it's good, so I won't stop her. I will even help her if she needs it, but I want to be out here with the nightmares."

"Mother worked with father until he died. I am glad that you want to be out here with me. But, my request is that you assure Mother can leave her work in a way that another, maybe you, can pick up and continue. I agree that what she intends to do is good, but I just believe it is not something that will be easily accomplished."

"Well, let's not go talking ill of your mother, Ralph. She still has a lot of life in her. What time I spent with her went well."

Ralph came to kiss her. He then had her dance with him. The stables for nightmares seemed like an odd place for such an activity, but Shirley definitely wanted to be happy in all the aspects of her life. Finding herself again being kissed by Ralph, she decided that she would not work to disrupt this life.

Her husband did reveal complexities in handling the nightmares. While she had learned some important details in working with the elder lady, Shirley's time with Ralph taught her even more about the special creatures. She however sensed that the nightmares appreciated something from her, as they never troubled her. She could work with them, hug them, and simply stand while thinking in their presence without any sense of being in a dire situation. Ralph would at times mention things about what she was doing that he felt might cause some trouble over time, but never did he say something that revealed anything truly being wrong with her handling of the nightmares.

Shirley also liked the fact that she could walk about the property without anyone yelling things to her. There were a few gardens where various fruit, vegetables, and flowers were grown. She spoke with those that worked with the plants, but just accepted that they were doing what they could with the rocky soil. She enjoyed conversations with the blacksmith, as he could also speak of the nightmares, but he did not develop the topic enough to have Shirley prolong any time chatting with him. Shirley however turned with alarm when she heard him speak as she headed to the gate of the property.

"Dame Shirley!" The man rushed to her while holding some shiny objects. "If you going on, it is best to wear this belt. The silver can protect you, but just scream and run back should you encounter anything."

She looked at the items feeling they were made for a man. While the silver had the shine of being recently polished, so looked pretty enough, there was a substantial feel to the metal. Feeling that the items did not match her outfit, and would probably even look out of place on a man, she looked to the blacksmith wondering his reason for bringing them to her.

"I don't see anyone else wearing this."

"Dame Shirley, I am sure that there will be a time that you are aware of what you are doing. Right now this place is new to you, and the dangers out there are unknown to you. Please, wear this."

The words had her put them on, although as she did so she wanted to know the reason. "What specifically is this supposed to protect me against?"

"Oh, lycanthropes and fey. Neither like silver. The fey will just not approach, but it is the lycanthropes that you should worry about. They are people cursed, and the curse drives them to do things they shouldn't."

"I thought werewolves were only active at night during a full moon."

"Well, the fey are almost always active. You are right about werewolves, but there are other types of lycanthropes. I just want you safe, Dame Shirley. Scream and run back."

She accepted the advice, then headed to the gate. While the rock around her was dark, she did not feel that it was dismal. In fact, the native stone seemed to bring out the beauty in the plants while preventing any glare from the sun to spoil one's view.

Having flown around on a nightmare, Shirley sought to look for things she had seen. The terrain was definitely nothing she could recognize. The dark rock flowed in strange manners as if shaped by a grand sculpture, possibly God, instead of appearing as if natural bedrock revealed by natural forces. Feeling that there was a beauty in her surroundings, she moved about looking for things that she wanted to speak to others about the land around her home.

The sound of children did not trouble her, but as she moved in their direction what they were singing did.

"Don't say you could not help us / Don't say, don't say, don't say
Don't say you want to feed us / Don't say, don't say, don't say
Don't say our days were pleasant / Don't say, don't say, don't say
Don't say you wished us better / Don't say, don't say, don't say

The truth is we will not help you / The truth, the truth, the truth
The truth is we will eat you / The truth, the truth, the truth
The truth is your days are finished / The truth, the truth, the truth
The truth is it will not be better / The truth, the truth, the truth

So run for help not coming / So run, so run, so run
So run so your fear can feed us / So run, so run, so run
So run for your days are over / So run, so run, so run
So run if you wish to live / So run, so run, so run "

Shirley had not seen them, although the voices could be heard to move around her. Shirley however only felt fear at the end of the song. Suddenly she realized that she was surrounded by misty figures. Not thinking them substantial enough to block her rush back to the estate, she found herself scared realizing that she did not know in which direction to run. The childish voices began the song again, but this time there was something scary in the words with Shirley not feeling able to move away from them.

Seeing Ralph land on a nightmare brought her relief along with screams as the dreadful presences rushed away. In moving to him, Shirley had to stop upon realizing that the landmarks she had noted were now clearly apparent to her. Feeling that she now knew the way home, she gratefully approached Ralph as he dismounted the nightmare.

He embraced her while simply saying, "I'm glad Nertorn warned me about you leaving."

Wanting to learn about her land, Shirley asked, "What were those things."

"Most probably some spirits from a ghostly region over the ridge. Most aren't bad, but you need to learn to keep your wits about you."

"I did feel scared. Why would they have been children?"

"You get various kinds."

Shirley was glad that Ralph did not demand that she immediately return to the estate. While keeping the nightmare close, he walked with her speaking about what she felt to mention. He did not limit her, or scold her, but simply sought to assure she was safe while allowing her to gain some familiarity with the land around her estate.

It however did trouble her that the spirits, or whatever they were, had been children. Something inside her had her feel that their presence had not been just a strange coincidence. Shirley felt that there was a logic to the land, and that what she had encountered had a reason for being present. The fact that they were children, had her concerned that what her mother-in-law was doing was actually more troubling than it appeared.
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Eighteen   Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am

Abduction to Elfland
Chapter Eighteen

Morgan:
A Special Pet

Needay stayed a fox all day. Her small form easily fit in front of me on the horse, although at times she would climb up to ride on a shoulder. At no time did I have a problem controlling the animal, so never spoke against Needay. Having a fox with me that could talk was definitely a new experience, but she stayed with me without causing any trouble.

While I had seen the glow during my travels, as we headed south I could clearly see the flames of the Valley of Fire. I gained the impression that storms from the ocean and occasional high surfs kept the lower valley damp enough that the fires did not blaze. Why they burned within the valley itself even Tough Link could not say. He however did let me know that the fires burned continually. I however understood why we traveled along the rocky coast seeing the flames inland.

As we climbed the slope on the southern edge of the Valley of Fire, Tough Link directed us inland. As trees began to surround us, Michechio let us know that we were entering the Witch Woods where she claimed to be from. I did not see any habitations around me. Honestly, I did not even see any road for us to follow. I had to trust my elders to know the way, as I could see nothing to direct travelers in the proper direction.

I heard the voice of a lady ask, "What brings you, Seelie agent?"

Needay directed me where to look. The lady sat high in a tree with a broom in her lap. Her robes were of a brown that looked stained from use and not intentionally dyed that color. I could not say that her appearance was pleasant, although her place a number of feet over out heads made it hard to look for details.

Tough Link replied, "I would not complain if I just passed through, but I was hoping to find Baba Yaga."

"Most do not want to find her."

"Most simply want to pass through."

Another lady landed in front of us. She was slightly attractive, although I still recognized signs of maturity in her. Her brown hair was long without any sign of style, although some old flowers said that she once took some concern for her appearance. The lady up in the tree worked to stand up as the one on the ground spoke.

"Leave Tough Link alone, as his wife is a subject of this forest."

Michechio declared, "And I never fear claiming this forest as my home."

Tough Link added, "And I feel sorry for any man who does not feel blessed by his wife."

The lady in the tree said, "They are trouble."

The one on the ground asked, "Are you trouble, Tough Link?"

He answered, "If you do not want to hear me speak of my mission then let me pass."

"Michechio, is your husband about to cause trouble?"

She replied, "There are children involved."

The one in the tree declared, "There are always children involved."

Tough Link said, "Really?"

"NO!" the lady on the ground yelled. "Tough Link, I will hear you out. Please follow."

The one in the tree shouted, "There are always children involved!"

"NO! Can't you see he's Seelie? He would not be here without cause. His wife is a product of these woods, but he did not enter claiming her status for passage. He came because he had a reason, a reason from the Seelie Court, and we do not need to give reason to increase the concern from the Seelie Court."

"He will bring them anyway."

"Come and hear! Michechio, I am of the same coven as Bedoruchi and his wife, who are responsible for your present form. I can offer you safety, but because of this one I must hear."

Michechio replied, "We are not afraid of telling. You may certainly hear."

From a distance came a raspy voice sounding more like air being blown through a cluttered pipe. I could sense some feminine tones to the words, but I also felt fear. It was actually the presence of Needay almost crawling into my shirt that had me sit still as the voice spoke.

"What is your story, Tough Link?"

He replied, "I saw you there, Baba Yaga. Do you wish for me to come to you?"

"No. Chefrini will just need to have you speak outside."

The one on the ground said, "I was not expecting Tough Link, and the weather has been good. My cauldron is outside. Those who wish to come close and hear may do so."

I saw movement above me that looked like others riding brooms. Turning in my saddle, I saw what appeared to be a large tree, although was really a house moving on thin legs. Needay stayed against my belly, but I did my best to hold my composure as noticed the movement through the forest.

We came to the only habitation I had seen in the forest. The house appeared elegant and strange at the same time. It had a roughly rectangular shape, but I saw parts of trees come from the plastered outer wall. Mushrooms, mosses, and vines grew on the outside of the building. I found myself wondering if the habitation was that way on purpose or if the lady had not bothered to keep it clean.

A lady said that she would take care of the horses, but I saw a number approach. The one that came to me had black hair that looked a lot like she had washed it recently. As she lifted a hand as if to help me down, Needay hissed at her. The lady stepped back to the head of my horse, although asked a question.

"Why is the fox Seelie?"

Tough Link replied, "Same reason my wife is, she's mine. It is a wonder how much influence a man can have."

That statement gained a number of responses. Some I thought were cute, but most I felt were poor. I held Needay as I moved from my horse to a place around a large fire pit over which a large cauldron had been placed. The ladies brought wood I felt to feed a large flame, but they simply assured that the heat continued. Other fires were started with me being interested in seeing the ladies set up different methods of cooking food. Many came near the central cauldron to stir it or throw in a number of items, but I heard none make a statement of us eating what was in it.

"Drink beer." I looked to Needay who said, "I will drink with you, but it must be beer. Do not drink water, and do not drink wine. Ask for beer."

Feeling that the advice I had gained so far had been good, I did ask for beer only to hear, "Well, we have some, but it is not local. We make the wine."

Needay replied, "Our constitution is not that varied. A saucer for me, please."

The witch said in return, "You could become a proper lady."

"I am not a lady such as you, and prefer it stay that way. I like this lad, and will watch over him."

"Seelie, huh!"

As the witch went away, Needay whispered, "I am not Seelie, but just owned by one that is. However, we non-Seelie have loyalties as well. You don't do me wrong, Deputy, and I won't do you wrong."

"Morgan," I replied. "My name is Morgan."

"I will not ever use it, but I accept your honor to have told it to me."

"Where I am from names are no big deal."

"Just because you do not treat them as a big deal does not mean that they are not big deals. Watch who you tell, and how those that you do tell use your name."

Needay stayed a fox. Most of the time she moved about my feet or even rested upon them. She ate and drank as the animal. I had heard her say that she grew up as a fox. What I saw gave me no impression that Needay was anything but a fox, and I remembered being surprised at times to realize the lady that spoke to me was from the animal at my feet.

The conversation was about children, although mostly stories. During some I heard facts stated, but most stayed as simple tales. What surprised me was seeing Tough Link and Michechio sit closer and closer to each other, then noticing some of the ladies begin to remove their robes. The beer was affecting my ability to stay awake, and I felt really drowsy as it seemed the conversations came to an end.

I heard ladies telling me to go with them, but Needay jumped into my lap to ask, "Deputy, do you trust me?"

"Of course I trust you, Needay."

"Then carry me to your blankets."

It was hard to concentrate. Hearing ladies tell me to follow them had me turn, but Needay would quickly hiss for me to turn in another direction. Since I was holding her, it was easier to hear her. Concentrating on holding her while following her directions, I made it to my blankets.

As I laid down, she said, "I doubt the witches would actually hurt you, but your memories would be warped. Let's find you a good lady who can give you honest memories. That is what Tough Link and Michechio have. Their commitment turns their thoughts to each other, so they are safe from certain enchantments. I want a good man, so I consider you and me to be looking for the same thing. Trust me, Deputy, and hopefully we can ourselves form a bond that will enable us to survive."

Just curious, I asked, "Do you like being an animal, Needay? You have been an animal all day. I did not like being a horse."

"You were not a horse. I am a fox, so I like being a fox. You can presently treat me as your fox, Deputy, but I don't want you to think of me as your fox. Think of me as your friend."

"I can do that, Needay."

I felt her curl up against me as she said, "If I did not believe that, I would not have stayed with you. Now, let's get some sleep."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)   Abduction to Elfland:  Part 3 (13-18) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Pennings (Writer's Forum) :: The Scrawler's Workplace-
Jump to: