Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Empty33%To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Empty67%To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) EmptyTo Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Voting_bar2To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Empty 
TerishD (1441)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) EmptyTo Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Voting_bar2To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TerishD

To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Empty
PostSubject: To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34)   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2020, 6:42 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Twenty-Nine

(Phesdorra)

Of course I was going, so I felt sorrow at those who had to step back.  Vonall spoke of her knowledge of Zetrullid being a water deity, but said that his ways would not match the reasons for her existence.  Dechant simply spoke of his slow movement.  He however also mentioned his ability to corrupt the explosive chemicals, so said that he could be needed to reduce the threat of the remaining humans.  Brequir however mentioned that he been subdued by Atagandes claim of being the divine champion of sour, so felt a need to go to assert his own status.

Hearing the plan of simply charging through the city to where Atagandes was sounded like a potential disaster.  Those in support of the plan however spoke of various protections against the attacks of the humans, and their own confidence in managing to survive through difficult challenges.  As I heard them mention things about their own abilities, I found myself not feeling like I would be facing trouble when told to simply follow those leading the charge.

What surprised me was how little they prepared.  Neither Hallith, Ayither, Cornispe, nor Pesloe asked for time.  They knew exactly where they had placed certain protective garments.  While they did find a private place to make certain changes in their attire, they were quickly back checking their weapons.  By the time Brequir had me prepare my things to have him carry them, Vonall was doing what she could to have a little celebration for those of us that would be leaving.

There was some time spent to assure the horses would be as protected as possible.  While Brequir was considered to have abilities that would keep him from taking heavy damage, the only thing special about the mounts was their training to move through portals between worlds.  While the alien divine champions admitted to having their own knowledge on how to move to different realities, they all spoke of the benefits of the horses as they did what they could to protect them.

I found myself unable to fathom the minds of these alien divine champions.  I saw the human city and the amount of military forces as something great and powerful.  While I had faced it earlier, my focus had not been on fighting it.  I had the hope of calling out Atagandes to resolve our personal issues.  When faced with the possibility of hurting the soldiers, I instead had us retreat.  I further considered it an accomplishment that we were able to turn the men that came upon us without doing them any harm.  To comprehend that the divine champions with me actually felt able to overcome a great military force was something I could not bring my mind to accept.

Brequir was already running, but I was pleased when he pushed his body to speed up and move beside Hallith so I could ask, "We are not going to hurt anyone?"

He answered, "Hurt?  I hope not, and I have no plans to kill anyone."

"How are we going to get through the army?"

"Should ride right through."

I again considered how large the city was and the size of the military forces around it, then had to ask, "They will let us do that?"

"I believe so.  I was the bodyguard for Pesloe long ago.  I worked with the military.  My centuries as a Quartermaster had me deal with a number of military people.  I feel certain that we can simply ride through."

"And Atagandes?"

"Should be waiting for us to arrive."

I was glad to hear Pesloe ask, "Are you sure you can pull this off, Hallith?"

"I listened as the soldiers spoke, and I feel I have some familiarity with Atagandes.  This should work without any incidents."

Needing to assure the plan, I asked, "And he won't be hurt?"

He chuckled before answering, "I don't believe I will need to hurt him."

Cornispe suddenly erupted in laughter, then said, "I know what you are planning, Hallith.  It would not have worked with me.  Shouldn't Atagandes be able to resist?"

"Not with Phesdorra with us.  He was focusing on her.  He really does not know what could make my plan difficult."

"All right, Pesloe, play along.  As usual with us men, you can fuss at us or praise us later."

Hallith did turn in his saddle in speaking to the other lady.  "Ayither, the same for you."

"Typhorsh is not fussing, Hallith.  As long as he is quiet, I will be quiet."

We rode without stopping toward the city.  I saw men lift radios to their mouths as they certainly spoke of our presence.  Some lifted weapons with many aiming them at us.  No sounds of challenge were issued or reports from weapons.  Hallith kept a fast pace, but I felt without us having our weapons readied those of the military did not feel threatened as we rode toward the city.

Once inside the city proper, some vehicles did pull up to block the road ahead.  Hallith rode up, but had his mount stop.  I heard Brequir panting heavily, although the horses really did not show any stress from the travel.  After leaving a vehicle, a man in an officer's uniform sternly asked a question.

"Where are you headed?"

Hallith replied, "To Atagandes.  Tell him to be expecting us.  Oh, let him know Phesdorra is with us."

The guy spoke into his radio, "Riders saying they are heading to Atagandes.  They said to inform him that Phesdorra, the pixie, is with them."

There was a pause, but I felt Brequir and the horses were glad to have the break.  Hallith and the other riders took out leather pouches and drank of the liquid inside.  Finally, the pause ended with a command for us to drop our weapons.

Hallith replied, "Won't happen.  We haven't hurt Atagandes yet, and have no plans to do so."

"What's your intention?"

"Ending the hostilities.  We have a plan."

Again the officer used the radio, but this time the message he received had him signal the vehicles to move back while he said, "All of you are being watched."

Hallith replied, "I believe your problem up to now was that we were aware of you.  We never tried to hide ourselves."

"He'll be waiting."

I heard Hallith only chuckle as he signaled his mount to again start moving.  While I honestly would not think of making such a move myself, I had to allow that what had happened could have been predicted.  We had not initiated any attacks upon the military.  While we had hurt them, our actions could be relegated to us simply protecting ourselves.  While I had to allow that Hallith had foreseen this part of his plan, I still did not understand what more he expected to do.

Those using the radios and aiming weapons at us were almost constant as we continued to move through the city.  I found myself concerned for our safety.  Whatever plan Hallith had, I felt his actions would have us quickly targeted by a large amount of firepower.  I however saw him perform some stunts on his mount as if to entertain those of the city who watched us.

Coming into one of the downtown business sections, soldiers came out pointing directions for us to travel.  We slowed down to safely manage the streets.  The route seemed circular to me, but I accepted they did not trust us.  Finally, I saw us heading toward a major government building with a large number of soldiers positioned in front of it.

As we came to a stop, Atagandes stepped out upon a raised platform to say, "Phesdorra, this was an unexpected thing for you to do."

I replied, "I was given to trust it was the best decision."

"Coming to me was probably not the wisest thing to do."

Hallith dismounted while saying, "It was the only way we felt to get you to trust us."

"Well, it does -"

Suddenly Hallith rushed Atagandes.  Not only did I not expect that, but I did not expect Pesloe to rush toward Brequir and me.  I suddenly found myself in a desert with Hallith giving a warning to Atagandes.

"The cactus can be painful.  Watch your step."

"What have you done?" Atagandes demanded.

"It's not what I have done, but what I am going to have you do."

"And what are you going to have me do?"

"Go with me."

Atagandes turned to me to ask, "Phesdorra, where are we going?"

I answered, "I am told to a man named Chertish.  He was once a companion of Hallith and Pesloe."

"And what is so great about him?"

Hallith answered, "He's human, Atagandes.  He is not part animal.  He is no longer a divine champion.  There is not a damn thing about Chertish for you to get upset about."

Pesloe interjected, "Except Chertish."

"Yes, he can be a big pain in your rear.  He however fought beside me for over four hundred years.  If there is someone you can trust, he is that man.  If there is someone who can answer your questions, he is that man.  If there is someone you might actually get along with, he is that man."

Cornispe said, "That last bit was not a compliment, Atagandes.  Still, taking your to Chertish could indeed be the solution to your problem."

Atagandes asked, "And how is that?"

Hallith replied, "I'll tell you when we get there.  It will take a few days.  We did not bring an extra horse as that would have looked suspicious, but one of the ladies can ride with their man.  Neither Cornispe nor me would mind having some close time with our lady."

Pesloe said, "That was the only part of this plan that troubled me, but you're right.  I will ride with Cornispe if Ayither does not want to ride with you."

Ayither looked at Hallith, then stated, "Pesloe, you ride with Cornispe.  I need to also consider meeting Chertish."

"Don't you fear him, Ayither."

"Typhorsh is telling me to respect this man, and I know what the meeting will mean to my future."

Pesloe dropped off her horse, then said, "Mount up, Atagandes."

Last edited by TerishD on April 26th 2020, 6:25 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Thirty   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Icon_minitimeApril 6th 2020, 6:28 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Thirty

(Hallith)

It was my plan to end up taking Atagandes to Chertish. Part of my reasoning was that Atagandes could not escape, because he really had no power of himself. He had worked with Phesdorra, and had based his own abilities off of her. With her present, he had no options. Atagandes however put his focus on her as if what we were doing was her plan.

The ladies, including Phesdorra, had just returned from taking their baths, and when I told him to take his he however launched himself at the pixie. "Why are you doing this, Phesdorra?"

I had to give the pixie some credit, as she did not go around shifting blame. "We had to do something, Atagandes. I did not want to hurt people, least of all you. You were however going to force us to hurt people."

"You needed to know the extent of what I willing to risk."

"Well, you are finding out what we are willing to risk." She then flew up to his face while stating, "You are not hurt, Atagandes. Your people were not hurt."

"You think you won?"

"I think this has the possibility of meeting my objectives. I did not want you hurt. I did not want to hurt the people. With those conditions being met I am not ashamed of this plan, so I believe that I can win. It might be only a moral victory, but it will be a victory."

I felt that was a good place to end the conversation, so said, "Go take your bath, Atagandes."

He spun to face me before asking, "And what is your reason for all of this?"

"You'll find out when we get there."

"It won't work, you know. I won't change my mind."

"Phesdorra is allowing me to a chance to prove you wrong. Now go take your bath."

He grumbled. Considering the way we abducted him, we did not have clothes for him. Mine were much too large for him, but Cornispe pulled out things for Atagandes. He of course griped about the fashion along with the personal items, but went to the water to do what he would.

Pesloe came near me to ask, "Hallith, where are we going? I don't mean our destination, but our path. Have you learned how to move through the omniverse? We usually just call to Zetrullid to open a portal to our destination."

I replied, "I have hung around Terish. I think I know some things."

"I trust you, Hallith, but just interested."

"It would not do us any good to take Atagandes to Chertish right now. Right now you and me can spend time with each other. Right now I can spend more time with Ayither. Right now, we can simply move through the omniverse and see some sights."

She laughed, then said, "At least Terish could assure us of a good camp site each night, or a Cricket House."

We had come across a nice location to make camp. It was not in the mountains, but the temperature had begun to comfortably drop saying we should not have any trouble sleeping during the night. The surrounding trees kept the sun from being an annoyance. I was pleased with our location, although I knew there was no way for us to know what we might find.

Thinking back over those centuries as a Quartermaster, I replied, "That's my, our, problem, Pesloe. We don't care. This is a good campsite. There's water. We wouldn't know a bad campsite if were pestered with sands so hot they burned us and scorpions so poisonous they would make us sick to the stomach when we ate them."

Cornispe said, "Maybe back when you were active Quartermasters, but I have treated her better than that, Hallith. Pesloe now probably would mumble a complaint or two."

Pesloe laughed, then grabbed my chin to assure that I looked her in the eyes as she said, "You let me know if some of these things you are saying are actual memories."

I had to ask, "How would I know, Pesloe? Four hundred years are up there in our heads. I might have been speaking from a memory, or maybe just some random connection of memories."

"I am going to remember every damn thing you say, Hallith. The words are coming from somewhere. Maybe, eventually, I will start to piece things together. If the memories do not ever release to come pouring out, maybe we can eventually go over all the stories we have told and start connecting enough threads to start pulling the rest out."

"Ayither."

Her voice came from a place up in a tree saying, "I know. We visit Pesloe. I will also assure that we will visit Slidell."

Pesloe said, "I am going to have to visit this Slidell."

"She's calm. Won't be particularly pleased to meet you."

I had to ask, "So you believe that we are storm?"

"You're not calm. She must be calm. I must be storm, and I feel the storm with you. I don't think she could feel the calm."

Looking around at the landscape, I asked, "Are you going to keep watch?"

"Go to sleep, Hallith. This is your plan, so I will let you rest."

Cornispe said, "When you get tired, wake me, Ayither."

"Can you cook?"

"What?"

"I am going to kill something. We need to eat. Can you cook?"

Pesloe said, "Yes, he can cook."

Cornispe admitted, "I can be a pretty good cook, although I am also known for burning soup."

"He has done that. I won't complain if you wake me, Ayither."

I had to say, "Hold it. Burn soup? I haven't heard this one."

Cornispe said, "It is not one of my better moments."

"You have a lot of 'not one of your better moments.' I need to hear about this one."

By the time Atagandes came from the water, we were rolling with laughter. Cornispe was not afraid of telling on himself. Pesloe really did not bring out the worst details of his actions, but he would bring out the things that made his decisions really disastrous. Instead of laughing with us, Atagandes patiently waited until we regained some composure to ask a question.

"Where am I to sleep?"

We did not chorus our responses, but all basically told him to choose a place. We did supply him with a couple of blankets. He stood in a place before the fire, then asked another question.

"You don't think I can escape?"

Ayither said from her place still up in the tree, "You scare away the game in making your escape, and I will be mad at you."

I replied, "No, Atagandes, I don't believe you can escape. Let me however also say that running away is not escaping."

Atagandes mumbled, "Sleeping with the animals."

Brequir replied, "Sleep with one of their wives and you could really end up in trouble."

"Where are you sleeping, Phesdorra?"

She replied, "Probably up in a tree. That is where I usually sleep, Atagandes."

"I thought you had a home."

"Because of you, I seldom was able to sleep in it."

"Well, how many nights are we going to be sleeping under the stars?"

I answered, "Two or three. Depends on things. Traveling between worlds can be a little difficult."

"Great. You would think traveling with divine champions would allow us to have some Heavenly comforts."

Atagandes mumbled complaints, but finally did start snoring. One advantage of sleeping outdoors was that one had room to move away. On a cold night there was a desire to stay near the fire, but I found the air pleasant and settled under a tree on the other side of the fire than Atagandes.

I woke up after a few hours to feel the form of Ayither next to me. It was a comfortable feeling, and I found myself actually wanting to stay lying down. That had not been my life however, so I got on up. I saw Pesloe working at something. Wondering about what she was doing, I went over to look. Instead of simply marinating sections of flesh, I saw her carefully working spices upon braided strips of meat. Not recognizing the recipe, either from my time with Kierle or attending any formal celebration on a number of worlds, I came close to Pesloe. She told me it was still a couple of hours before dawn but she wanted to get our breakfast just right.

"Oh," she added, "and this is not my recipe, but Ayither's. She brought down a pretty big kill, and I believe wore herself out getting it back to camp. She was determined to prepare this recipe however, but I sent her to bed telling her that I could manage it."

I looked, then had to admit, "I don't remember eating anything like that when on her world."

"The things we women will do for you men. Four hundred years, Hallith. I wanted to do all these things for Cornispe, and could not remember the steps for any of them. The women of the holding really helped many a crying session by listening to me and doing their best to help with some of the dishes I spoke about."

"I promise to help Ayither, but she should remember what she cared to learn. If not, she can go back and ask. She has her life. I mean some of her immediate family is still alive, but more importantly her land is still alive. We have none of that." I looked again at what she was fixing, then said, "I don't remember eating anything fancy."

"I was a princess, Hallith. I remember many fancy meals. During all those centuries as a Quartermaster, we accumulated a good bit of wealth. When Cornispe and I settled into our property I wanted to relive some of my better memories with my husband. It hurt, Hallith, not being able to do that."

"I was your bodyguard, Pesloe. I'll protect Ayither. I can do that, but I don't know anything about being a husband. Cannot really say that I was a husband to Kierle. She taught me what a normal life was, but I cannot say she was a wife."

"Just love Ayither, Hallith. Let her love you. Between all that, do right by her. You do the best you can, and help her as she tries to do the best she can, and time will pass for each of you. I am not forgetting these recent years, Hallith."

I thought back on the recent decades, and had to admit, "No, I'm not forgetting them either. Kierle was a good lady, and she gave me some good children. I remember my times with her, and what I did when I was away." I thought for a period, then said, "I don't want to forget them either. It will be bad, Pesloe, if four hundred years from now I cannot remember Kierle, or even this conversation with you."

"Yes, Hallith, that would be bad. We didn't do things like this, Hallith. We did not spend time trying to remember. Anerth had us rushing from fight to the next fight without any pause to think back on what we did. I admire Anerth for going back out, but it was the wrong life for me."

"I don't know, Pesloe. We would not have the lives we have now if we had not done it. Ayither is worth it. I am so glad that I can feel privileged to gain a lady like her. Cornispe better let you know how honored he is to have a wife like you."

Pesloe did chuckle, although it did not surprise me to hear her say, "Cornispe has some good points, Hallith. I am not ashamed of having him as my husband."

"No. I like him. Still, I consider you rather precious, Pesloe. Thinking of what I am getting with Ayither, and realizing that I can claim the honor of being worthy of her, makes you even more precious Pesloe."

"You stay in my life, Hallith. I like having memories like this."
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Thirty-One   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Icon_minitimeApril 11th 2020, 6:23 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Thirty-One

(Hallith)

Atagandes complained about breakfast.  Honestly, it was delicious.  What Ayither prepared was a meat dish embedded with vegetables and spices.  Pesloe had followed certain directions, but once finished did not know what more to do.  Ayither woke up early and revealed that she had also raided a number of nests.  She got the fire again blazing, then set the prepared sections of meat over the flames.  Ayither cracked an egg over each and somehow the preparation prevented it from flowing over, so one ended up with a nice covering.  Cornispe and I made our praises to Ayither loud in order to cover up the complaining of Atagandes.

I actually did not pick on Ayither for working on the recipe.  I could have mentioned things about cooking that occurred in our time with Terish and Straekin, but instead spoke of myself.  I admitted it not being unusual for me to have made a kill during the day with thoughts of having a large deliciously prepared serving of meat for supper.  I then spoke of the type of missions I was usually sent on, so by the time I settled for camp I was not in the mood to spend time cooking.  I would make a fire with my only thoughts on sleeping.  Somehow recognizing that I did have all that meat, and was hungry, I would grab a section of the earlier kill and put it over the fire hoping not to doze so long that the meat burned.  The only difference in breakfast was the meat would not burn, as I would be conscious enough to assure a proper cooking, although again the need to be somewhere would not have me do anything special.

While Pesloe and Cornispe laughed, Ayither simply said, "I just never put in the time preparing food.  I also would eat it slightly raw, as I do not like it burnt."

I did notice something in how she spoke, but did not say anything more except to thank the ladies.  I put my focus on Antagandes, and got him to help pick up the camp.  He actually did some things, and I thanked him.

When we again started moving, I waited for Ayither to ride close then said, "That was a recipe from calm."

"I am like you in that if I like I like it," she replied.  "I liked it so much that I listened as Slidell worked at making it.  I was thinking about it, and realized that I would no longer be where I could get it made.  I realized that if I wanted it, that I would need to make it myself."

"And you did make it yourself.  I know you left some steps to Pesloe, but she said that you were very tired."

"But not calm, and not angry.  Sometimes I fueled my storm by allowing a rage to burn within me.  Those are not good storms, and Typhorsh would get mad at me, but I was always glad to see another day pass and my connection to storm remain.

I quickly said, "I don't ever want you angry at me, Ayither.  I am not against your storm.  If you need us to pick up the pace, or do something, whatever, I am more than willing."

She giggled, then asked, "How is Pesloe when she gets angry at Cornispe?"

"I haven't been around.  Whatever goes on between them, they get over it."

"I get over my anger as well, Hallith.  My connection with storm and Typhosh has stayed strong."  I felt that was a good conclusion, but she then kept talking.  "Something has happened however.  I feel the storm within.  There is a feeling inside me that the storm will not pass.  It is a good feeling, and my connection with Typhorsh is strong, but it is not like it has been."

"I told you, Ayither, that all those centuries as a Quartermaster I really did not feel any connection to Zetrullid.  We honored the god, but most of it was fueled by Anerth.  After going to Morlin and meeting with Zetrullid, I found my connection with him to be a little closer.  I learned I could do all these neat little water tricks.  I still do not have the constant conversation that you seem to have with Typhorsh, but what I have now is not like it was during those centuries as a Quartermaster."

"You said that Kierle taught you what a normal life is.  I don't believe I know what a normal life is."

"Good, as I don't live one.  Between the two of us, we can find our own normal."

I turned as Atagandes began another round of complaining.  It did not bother me that he focused on Phesdorra.  She was the one he had the relationship with.  I just knew that what we were doing was my scheme, so I listened to the complaining in case I would need to support the pixie.

He said, "You have to be wanting to go back, Phesdorra.  You have people to lead as well."

"No, I don't," she replied.  "This is not my age.  I'm a divine champion, but it has been made clear to me that my place is not that of being a regular person.  While I might be better accepted than a human, I will still be something special.  It's not to be your age either, Atagandes."

"So, you are just going to have us travel around until we die?"

"I feel our world would be better off we did."  Before he could voice another statement, she added, "We are with people who have done that.  Listen to them, Atagandes.  Watch them.  This is not a new life for them.  They are recognized because of what they have done moving around, not because they stayed in one place."

"Don't tell me that is your plan, Phesdorra."

"This isn't my plan, Atagandes.  Still, you were told that we were going to visit a man named Chertish.  I am honored to have come to know these with us, and they honor Chertish.  I thus feel that he must be a really great person."

He went quiet for a moment, then asked, "And what is to happen with my army?"

"What they will.  If they found your cause to have merit, they will continue.  If they find other causes to have more value, they will take them on.  This is not our age, Atagandes, so it is best to give them time to set the course for the age to come."

"You have agents there."

"And so do you, or you should."

Atagandes then turned in his saddle.  He should have looked at me, but he really did not set his gaze on any of us.  Atagandes simply spoke loudly as if to assure that we all heard.
"Don't you people go around fighting battles, rescuing people, and things like that?"

It was Pesloe that replied, "Rather often, yes."

"Then why aren't you doing that?  You are surely feeling that your time is being wasted as well."

"You're obviously not paying attention, Atagandes.  For your information, I think our time is being well spent."

I found it obvious that Atagandes did not share Pesloe's feeling.  He went about displaying frustration and nervousness the entire day.  Ayither had made a large kill, so we had plenty of meat.  Those who traveled with Phesdorra had made certain that we had supplies.  Feeling that Atagandes still had more to get out of his system, I began looking for a place to make camp.

It was Ayither who rode up as I gazed as the scenery to say, "Yes, Hallith, we make camp here."

I replied, "Terish likes waterfalls.  Being connected to a water deity, I have no complaints with them.  Do you have any thoughts about waterfalls?"

"They are pretty."  She smiled as she added, "Nothing more than that."

Atagandes said, "Damn noisy if you ask me."

I had to ask, "Well, what type of camp would you have us make tomorrow?"

"Someplace with a bed."

"Won't happen.  None of us worship a god of sleep, or comfort, or anything associated with a bed."
"What?"

I tried to state my facts as nicely as possible.  "Pesloe and I have a water deity.  Ayither has an air deity.  Phesdorra is sweet.  Brequir is sour, which you also claim.  We all can worship our gods right out here."

"We can worship our gods in a church."

"No, we can't.  A church is dedicated to one god.  I will even apologize for taking you where I am taking you, as it is dedicated to my god.  Out here is dedicated to no one.  Surely there is a god who created all this, but I have yet found one who denied an honorable guest.  Our honor, our respect, is due to our gods.  I am going to spend time giving honor to mine.  I would suggest that you do the same."

"Oh, damn.  Phesdorra!"

The pixie flew up to the man to ask, "Why aren't you agreeing with that, Atagandes?  We are not in charge of the ages.  We are not the ones responsible for the passing of the elves, or humans.  Instead of fighting me, why aren't you taking your thoughts to our God?"

"I can't fight Him."

"You haven't been doing a good job of fighting us either, Atagandes.  God also does not fight back, so you should accept that he is watching and listening.  Also, even if you won the battles against me, it would not have any affect on God."

"I believe it would."

It was Brequir that replied, "No, Atagandes.  What it would determine is how the humans would pass.  All you would have decided is how history will treat humans.  Elves were forgotten, relegated to folklore.  I believe you would have humans remembered as monsters."

"History is written by the victors."

"History is written by God.  All we write are commentaries."

"Oh, Hell!"

Cornispe said, "All right, I heard all that.  Since I am not connected to any deity, I will do the cooking.  I know that I'm not the best cook, but the rest of you can check on me between your rites to make certain I am not doing something wrong."

Ayither asked, "You do not worship, Zetrullid?"

"Of course I worship Zetrullid.  With a wife like Pesloe, how could I not?  I thank and thank and thank Zetrullid for giving me that ring.  Still, she has the connection, and I show my appreciation of Pesloe by not getting in the way of her worshipping Zetrullid.  How about you, Ayither?  You should be grateful for Hallith, and he is pleased with you.  Both of you have other deities however.  How can you show appreciation for the other without worshipping the other's deity?"

"He has fought with me as I followed the commands of Typhorsh, and I am willing to stand before Zetrullid.  We are committed to not just each other, but our separate callings."

I felt the need to say, "Even so, we have fought in support of other gods.  If we can fight for the causes of other deities and stay true to our own, we should certainly be able to stay true to each other while holding the tenets of our own god."

Cornispe said, "Sounds good.  While I will certainly be speaking my own prayers, I would suggest that you with the better connection to deities pray that the food comes out tasting good."

As I turned to start making certain preparations, I had to stop hearing Atagandes say, "I assume that you will expect me to help with the cooking."

Cornispe replied, "You can assume what you like, and you can do what you like."

"There is nothing to do in a place like this, but sitting around bored is not the way I like spending my time.  How do you want these carrots cut up?"

"If you're helping, you can make your own decisions.  Cut them up however you want."  I found myself relieved when Cornispe added, "Oh, and thanks."

"Don't thank me.  If I had any control, I wouldn't be here at all."

"Take it from me, those who seek to gain power need the lessons in how to gain power over themselves.  I was a king once.  King over a land of elves.  I did a good job, but just got bored.  Pesloe, well, I just don't get bored around her.  If cutting up carrots keeps you from being bored, I understand.  Still, I believe you are the only one bored out here.  Life is good, Atagandes.  You need to find your life."

Phesdorra said, "Cutting up the carrots is a sweet thing to do, Atagandes."

Atagandes retorted, "Oh, shut up."

Brequir said, "And that was a dose of sour.  I believe the carrots will be the best part of the meal."
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Thirty-Two   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2020, 6:27 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Thirty-Two

(Phesdorra)

Atagandes was a lot more quiet today. I felt it was good, but really did not know how to judge our situation. I knew we were traveling somewhere, but the actions of those who knew about other worlds did not seem to know where they were going. While I felt the attitude of Atagandes had something to do with our journey, how that related to our travel I did not understand.

After a long period of the human divine champions stopping to point around them, we passed through a portal that brought us to a vast grassland. I thought of Vonall as I smelled salt in the air. What caught the attention of the humans was something else however, and we came over a rise to have them pointing out a vast herd of horned horses.

Hallith dropped from his mount to begin taking off some of his outer protective garments, which had Brequir ask, "What are we doing?"

He replied, "We still have some meat, so we take these alive."

It was Ayither that asked, "Alive?"

"If you take to the hunt, Ayither, you do not kill."

"Typhorsh says that as your wife I should take to the hunt."

"Tell him I am grateful that he understands."

She dropped from her mount while saying, "That does not mean I understand."

"This is not the time for discussion, Ayither. It is probably best if you come to your own understanding."

Cornispe dropped from his horse while asking, "We come upon them from opposite sides, Hallith?"

I listened as the group planned their hunt. Of course, Atagandes did not want anything to do with it. He however did wish them luck. I listened to the others thank him, although found myself wondering what I should do.

Pesloe directed Atagandes to follow her as she led the horses toward the ocean. He asked her about where they would camp, and she pointed out features on the landscape that indicated a flow of fresh water. Pesloe dropped from her horse to help me move to her through a strong wind, then explained the choice of the location.

"I cannot say I understand everything about this choice of a place to camp, but I know one concern was windy weather. Ayither's deity represents strong wind, and Hallith wanted a place that would promote that relationship and not just water."

I had to admit, "It is hard for me to fly in this."

Atagandes then asked, "Why aren't you going hunting, Pesloe?"

The female champion of water started us moving before taking time to explain, "I don't have a reason to hunt. It will all make sense, Atagandes. Tomorrow we will come upon Mount Lorigard within which is found Morlin. You will meet Chertish as we climb Mount Lorigard."

"Well, good. It is about time."

"I have been enjoying the travel. I wanted to spend time with Hallith, and that is what I have been given. Learning about Ayither has been good as well. I actually would not have minded if the travel had continued."

"Well, send me home, then you and him can spend as much time as you desire with each other."

Pesloe did not laugh, but in a very serious tone she replied, "I don't really understand Hallith's reasoning for bringing you, Atagandes. He has his own reason for traveling to Morlin, but why he feels this journey will help you I cannot say. Let me apologize should you not feel that you gain any answers, but I can promise you that Hallith will explain himself."

"Well, that will not make up for the loss of time."

"There is no way to make up for any loss of time, Atagandes. All we can do is look back and make excuses for what we did with that time. I am seeing that time has been good for Hallith, and I have to admit that it has been good for me. While I wish I had him with me all those decades, it is good to see him in the state he is. I know where he was, and there is no reason for him to excuse himself. I know where I was, and I am proud of how I spent the time. All any of us can do is look to the future with the hope of making it more like we would have it to be."

It surprised me to hear Atagandes fume, "You mean the way Phesdorra would have it be."

Pesloe replied, "I believe she has no more control over the future than you do. She is merely working with certain forces instead of resisting them or forcing them to do something that was not intended."

I had to admit, "I am not forcing you to do anything, but only keeping you from forcing others."

"You're forcing me!" Atagandes proclaimed.

"I am not forcing you to subjugate yourself to me, as you tried to do with me. I am not having you kneel defeated before me. Whatever I am forcing upon you, I am allowing you much more dignity in accepting it."

"Oh, yeah? I know where I am being taken, Phesdorra. I am going to be surrounded by those who agree with you. Don't think I won't be humiliated."

It hurt me to see the blindness of Atagandes, so I felt some pain as I tried to explain things to him. "This isn't our world, Atagandes. We are not going to our world. We are both being taken to their world. While I like those I am traveling with, I do not feel that I will be any more at ease there than you."

"Then why are you on this journey, Phesdorra?"

"Because I need to. Don't you understand? I am a divine champion. These with us are divine champions. They do not just stay on their world, but travel about. I need to see their life to help me with my own. While I don't feel that it is my calling to move between worlds, I will need a broader understanding of things to truly help those of our world. Because I am not forcing others to bend to my will, I will need to understand how to resist those, like you, who attempt to force me to bend to their will. You are helping me, Atagandes, and I thank you for that."

"I hope you enjoy watching me suffer."

Pesloe said, "That will not happen, Atagandes. I can promise you that the only thing you could possibly suffer from is boredom. There will however be places with beds, and you could find something to entertain you."

Atagandes seemed satisfied to watch the waves out on the water. I wanted to join him, but the wind was too strong to enable me to move easily. I thus sat in the place Pesloe found providing some shelter from the movement of air. She calmly started fixing a stew, although would move out at times to check on Atagandes.

Before either of us mentioned any concern for the others, we heard them coming as they herded a number of the animals. They took time to stake the creatures allowing for enough rope to enable them to graze. I listened as they spoke of needing to oversee the animals during the night. They spoke some concern upon not seeing Atagandes in the camp, but with Pesloe pointing him out near the beach they settled to pass the time in their own way.

While the wind bothered me, Ayither clearly enjoyed it. She did not fly, but simply stood on a rise where the breeze was strong with a grand smile on her face. What I noticed was that her hair did not flutter about, but the locks seemed to move as if someone was playing with them. When Hallith moved to lay on the grass near her, she settled next to him in the manner of being very comfortable.

Seeing the couple, I felt a need to move out to Atagandes. While the wind gave me problems, I had enough control over my flight to cover the distance. Atagandes did not greet me as I settled near him, but kept his gaze toward the horizon.

I said, "You will need to get married, Atagandes."

"Why? So I can breed more humans for you to subjugate?"

"Hopefully so you can share your life with another. You should not be alone, Atagandes. Fixating on me is not right. You need someone you can truly relate to."

"I have no desire to share my misery with another."

I knew that I could not allow that statement to go uncontested. "You wanted me to be miserable."

"I thought controlling, dominating, you would make the statement of my own success. I thought I had things figured out. Clearly I was wrong."

"Well, if it is any consolation, I don't have things figured out either. What is worse, I feel that you are my answer, Atagandes. I feel that if you can find your answer, that I will find mine as well."

"Then I guess we do have a future of being miserable together."

I found myself wishing that the two of us were equal in size. The ability to better touch and hold Atagandes could help us relate to each other. A fear however passed through me that if we were more equal in size, we would attempt to do more with our relationship. While I did not want Atagandes for certain things, I could not help but wish there was a way for us to become better friends.

I said, "Don't do that, Atagandes. Don't go forward seeking to be miserable. Try to see what Hallith wants to show you. Try to be respectful to Chertish. Give them a chance."

"Why aren't you trying to see what I am trying to show you?"

"Because you are being forceful and dominating. How can I see when you keep attempting to shove it in my face? If nothing else, learn from our method of trying to get you to see things."

"I will only see if you do shove it in my face."

In spite of the wind I worked to fly in front of him, and found some comfort that his larger form helped break the flow of air enough that I could hold my position. "Oh, no, Atagandes. You will gripe and complain loudly if we do that. We are trying to be nice. We are trying to be sweet. We want you to take an honest good look at things. We want you to be able to respond in a dignified manner with suggestions to help both of us reach an agreeable future. Honestly, Atagandes, I would like for you to be happy."

"Happy? Sweet, sour, bitter, and salt. None of that is happy, Phesdorra."

I felt he had a point, but then a revelation came upon me on how I might get him to change his mind about things. "Seriously, Atagandes, why don't you be happy?"

"Tell me how, Phesdorra."

"No, Atagandes, I want you to tell me. Tomorrow, right now, begin to focus on how you could be happy. I mean without causing others to be unhappy."

"I guess I have nothing else to do."

I settled upon one of his legs, then replied, "And it is something we could do together, if you don't mind my company."
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Thirty-Three   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2020, 6:22 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Thirty-Three

(Phesdorra)

I could not help but believe something was wrong the next morning when Hallith called for a portal to Mount Lorigard. While I suspected he could have done this upon us leaving my world, I kept silent understanding that he had the support of the others with him. Considering the travel had been part of his plan, and that Atagandes had become less of an annoyance, I went through the portal without mentioning anything.

We all had to speak of the sight of the mountain. The rocky height shown with a brilliance from the sun reflected by numerous waterways, waterfalls, and possibly fountains. The sight of cities on the mountain appeared more like blemishes staining the splendor of the natural mountain.

People bowed, curtsied, or fully knelt while speaking the name of Hallith or Pesloe. The two waved while speaking greetings in return. Some spoke praises of those that traveled with them, which I felt meant the rest of us, but only the two divine champions of the deity whose mountain this was actually gained acknowledgement.

After traveling for a good part of the morning, we came to a temple where the animals that had been captured were led into. A priest came forward to welcome us even as he called for lads to take control of the creatures. As he looked them over, Cornispe moved up to put a medallion on the temple altar.

He said, "I heard you have changed the design on your medallions, so I will want a new one. It would be nice to have this one polished for me as well."

The priest replied, "Certainly, Cornispe. I assume this animal includes your wife as well."

Pesloe said, "Of course. It brings me joy, and should bring Zetrullid joy as well, that my husband seeks to show his devotion."

"Certainly. Honored Hallith, is one of these animals for you?"

Hallith answered, "Yes, but handle the others first."

Ayither said, "One of the animals is mine. While a champion of another god, I want to show that I will not refuse to honor or be honored by Zetrullid."

The priest replied, "Your sacrifice is an honor in itself."

Hallith stated, "She is Ayither, the one I hope to claim as my wife."

The priest actually genuflected to the lady, then rose to ask, "And the other animal?"

Brequir said, "It is for me, and hopefully the pixie as well. Like Ayither, we are champions of another god wanting to show our respect to Zetrullid."

I had to say, "I am honored, Brequir."

"I know you won't eat it, but I will gladly share the honor of the sacrifice."

The priest looked at us, then said, "That man, is he the reason you had me wait, Honored Hallith?"

Hallith replied, "Yes. His name is Atagandes. My sacrifice is because I brought him unwillingly. My purpose was honorable, so I am hoping he will honor me by standing with me as this sacrifice is made."

Atagandes said, "What? You want me to participate in this show?"

"I am not going to force you, Atagandes."

"And what do I get if I do?"

Cornispe answered, "A bronze medallion."

Hallith said, "A memento, Atagandes. Should anyone ever doubt your story of being abducted and brought to this mountain, you will have proof of your story. The cost to you is nothing more but more of your time. I caught the animal. I have assured you rest and food for the journey. Please, humor me and gain the medallion."

Atagandes stepped up while saying, "It is better than nothing, I guess."

I flew to him to say, "Thank you, Atagandes."

"I don't see why, Phesdorra. Still, I was going to watch. Might as well get a good view."

Nothing about the rite had me think of something Chifar would do or was a forgotten part of the worship of my God. There however was also nothing dark or questionable about the things done. The killing of the animals was done quickly with every sign of respect for the ones whose lives were taken. The priest kept a smile on his face as he went through the rite, and the things asked of us were so basic that even Atagandes participated.

As stated, bronze medallions were handed out after the ceremony. The priest seemed to want to speak to Ayither, but as he did so I found my attention diverted to Atagandes. I watched as Hallith handed his bronze medallion to the man.

Atagandes said, "I doubt I will need two, Hallith."

"You should get the impression I make a sacrifice when I can. I do not need the medallion."

I had to say, "I was going to give you mine, Atagandes. It is a little large for me to carry."

"You will be telling your story of this journey, Phesdorra. It could be that you will need proof as well."

The priest did spend time talking with Ayither. She calmly chatted with him, although once released she moved to Hallith and the two spoke of the things about the mountain. As we came to a community, we had to pause as a number of ladies stepped up to have Hallith bless their babies. It was actually a cute period with Ayither having to comment once he finished talking with the ladies.

"You bless babies, Hallith?"

He replied, "You can blame Menasha for that. I once brought a child to her, and after that word spread that I was good with children."

Atagandes interrupted to say, "All this is nice, but what exactly am I supposed to see?"

Hallith turned to reply, "What you want to see. Look around you, Atagandes. These are all humans. There are no elves, no talking bears, no pixies. The buildings are for humans. The statues are mostly of humans. This is a world of humans. The religion is to a human appearing, although he is rather large, deity. This should be what you want. Look around, Atagandes. If anyone challenges you, show them your medallions. Your taxes are paid. As long as you do not commit a crime, you are free to do as you like."

Atagandes caught the sack of coins Hallith threw to him, but then simply stated, "What?"

"This is it, Atagandes! This is your option. This is your glorious age. Tell me what is wrong with what you see around you."

I suddenly realized the purpose for this journey. I lifted myself to fly in a circle looking around me. Indeed there were no elves, no pixies, no other races but human. People were buying, selling, talking, and children were playing. There was a presence of soldiers, but they did not bother the people. I found myself indeed accepting that I was looking at a society that was worth surviving and whose age hopefully would never end.

Atagandes looked to Hallith to ask, "Are you telling me that you brought me all this way just so you could show me this?"

I replied, "If you are not going to look for yourself, Atagandes then look for me."

"For you? What do you think you cannot see?"

"Your answer, Atagandes. If you cannot see your answer then tell me what you do not see."

Cornispe said, "What he does not see is himself in charge."

Atagandes raised his voice as he complained, "There is nothing here, Phesdorra."

I also raised my voice, "Name it, Atagandes! What do you not see?"

His features showed exasperation, but finally he replied, "What do you see, Phesdorra?"

"People, humans, going about their lives, Atagandes. What more do you want to see? People are doing business. People are meeting each other. What would you like to see the people doing?"

Cornispe again tried to be annoying by interjecting, "Praising him."

I however felt those words had some worth, so asked, "Is that what you do not see, Atagandes?"

Atagandes sputtered, then spun to say, "Hallith, I thought we were here to meet someone."

Hallith replied, "Not until tomorrow, Atagandes. We are going up a mountain, so the journey is taxing. There was a house that we rented on our return a few decades ago, but it was in pretty bad condition. I bought it, and fixed it up. We can make it there and you can sleep in a bed tonight."

Pesloe said, "Cornispe and I also use it, so it does get some attention. You should not have much to complain about."

Atagandes asked, "So we just need to keep moving up the mountain?"

Hallith replied, "There's the road, Atagandes. We'll call out should you start to pass the house up. Oh, while you're moving, keep a watch out for what you might want to eat. I mean, we have meat, but I can give it to Chertish's staff if there is something else you want to eat. I also gave you some money, so you can just buy something if you want it."

The way Atagandes looked to Hallith I felt indicated that some understanding of what was being asked of him. Atagandes did not suddenly start walking up the route, but he actually moved his head as if looking at those who were going about their lives. I followed flying along attempting to identify everything in case he asked a question about it. It was not until we had completely left any sign of civilization behind that Atagandes looked to me to let me know he had indeed been studying things.

"Hallith was right, Phesdorra. There are no pixies."

I replied, "He said this world had fairies and sprites, but I have not even seen any of them."

Brequir said, "No talking bears."

Atagandes asked, "How would you like to live here. either of you?"

I answered, "I believe this is a place where I could comfortably allow the years to pass, Atagandes. Isn't that what you would want? Live your life without any serious problems, without anyone putting restrictions on you, without anyone wanting to disrupt your life with their silly rules?"

"And what you feel such a life would accomplish?"

Cornispe said, "How about a life without any serious problems, without anyone putting restrictions on you, without anyone wanting to disrupt your life with their silly rules?"

"That would not - oh, but you are someone that knows the truth. Can you seriously say that you can have such a life here?"

"Yes. It was not always like this, but then I came. In spite of their best efforts, I got to Morlin and Zetrullid gave the ring that enabled me to marry Pesloe. This mountain now has Chertish, and it is now a much better place. Yes, Atagandes, those that live on this mountain can now live their lives without any serious problems, without anyone putting restrictions on them, and without anyone wanting to disrupt their lives with silly rules."

"And how about Zetrullid?"

Cornispe pointed out his wife as he declared, "I am married to a Champion of Zetrullid, and you don't see me getting fussed at. I can do the silly things I do, and Pesloe continues to love me. Go ahead and try to get me to complain about Zetrullid."

Atagandes turned to me and asked, "How about the rules of our God?"

I had to ask a question in return. "Would you really spend time talking with me of our God?"

"Admit it, Phesdorra. That is what this journey is all about."

"No. It is about you coming to terms with your own objectives, Atagandes. As a divine champion, I would want to have you deal with matters pertaining to our God. I however feel the first step is just having you admit things about yourself."

"And what if I felt that I know more about our God than I know about myself?"

I could not help but speak a little cheerfully while answering, "I would be glad to speak with you about our God."
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Thirty-Four   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2020, 6:33 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Thirty-Four

(Phesdorra)

The house was nice. It felt a little cramped except for the three bedrooms. There was no kitchen, but a large fireplace had the equipment for cooking. Pesloe spoke of enjoying being able to attend to the food while still being a part of any conversation. The chairs in the bedrooms gave me a sense of them being intended to be pulled to the wide doorways so that one could relax in semi-privacy while also staying a part of what others were doing or saying. The house gave me the impression of being designed for those who spent the day traveling and wanted to rest without spoiling any camaraderie with others.

Atagandes I believe tried to get me and Brequir arguing with Hallith and Pesloe about differences in our religions. We however actually showed interest in the conversation, and soon we were comparing a number of the most trivia of details in the commands from our deities. Atagandes I believe got frustrated, and not just bored, with our discussion and went on to bed.

There were only three bedrooms. Each of the couples gained one with Atagandes gaining the other one. Brequir mentioned finding a place on the floor comfortable, and I made a place for myself by pulling a lace doily over a pillow on the couch. While I was comfortable, I found my sleep disturbed by Atagandes stumbling from his bedroom early in the morning and almost having a hand seeking support fall on me.

He saw me look to him, and said, "Going out to see about getting us some breakfast. I am ready to get this journey done. Anything you would like, Phesdorra?"

"Something with fruit," I replied.

"Of course." He moved to the door, then looked back to say, "You're not coming with me?"

"I don't believe you will get lost, Atagandes."

"No. I just believe that if it was not me doing those things on my world, it would be someone else. I am not going to live under the thumb of someone else."

It surprised me to have him actually speak on what I considered an important topic, but I calmly replied, "I would resist them as much as I resisted you, Atagandes."

"I can believe that, Phesdorra. I don't believe you can do this. I mean make a world like this mountain. However, I feel you really want to try, and I believe that the momentum is presently in your favor. I guess I am admitting defeat, Phesdorra."

I took to the air to put myself before his face as I said, "That's a sorry thing to do, Atagandes."

"Excuse me."

"I dare you, Atagandes, to continue to harass me. Let me know about your thoughts on my directions to our world."

I sensed a return of his anger as he replied, "I fully intend to do that."

"Then I have to say that you are not admitting defeat, but only accepting a prominent position in the leadership of this new age."

"Call it what you will, Phesdorra, but I will still be living under the dictates of another."

"Yes, Atagandes, that is the difference in me and you. You were making a world where others would have to live by your rules. I want a world where I am also willing to live by the rules."

He moved to the door while saying, "I will hold you to that."

As if the early morning unsteadiness of Atagandes along with our conversation had disturbed the others, they began moving. Ayither stepped out of one bedroom, closed the door, then simply stood with her eyes moving about. She asked me about Atagandes, but did not ask anything else after I told her he had gone out to get something to eat. Hallith then stepped out the bedroom, then began mentioning all the daggers he had on his body. She glared at him as if the conversation they were having had already gone on for too long, although there really was not anything disturbing in her tone of her reply.

"Typhorsh says to agree with you, but that the daggers would probably soon be gone just as the arrows are."

Hallith replied, "I haven't seen you work with daggers the way you do with arrows, Ayither. Let me have you practice."

"I need to assure my outfit, Hallith. Be out shortly."

Pesloe stepped out to ask, "Are the two of you arguing?"

Hallith replied, "It is hard to argue with her, as Typhorsh is usually providing commentary. She either brings up a good response, or concedes."

"So to argue with her is to argue with a god?"

"Basically. The fact that I can hold my own is amazing."

Cornispe stepped out to say, "You can always use my strategy, Hallith. I keep Zetrullid laughing so hard that he could not give advice to Pesloe even if he wanted to."

Hallith kept a straight face as he replied, "I could not manage it with half the dignity that you do, Cornispe."

I was glad to find that Hallith and Ayither were going outside. A number of children approached to watch as the lady sent arrows at a number of targets either at a distance or thrown high in the air. A couple of lads had their heads turn when something zipped to have a bottle suddenly become a mist of granules, and as they sought to find the source of the sudden movement of projectiles they found others to join them. Soon there were oohs and aahs every time Ayither said the name of her god with the arrow in her grip almost disappearing as it sped to pierce whatever Hallith presented as a target.

The difference in the missiles and the small blades became very apparent as a clay bottle shattered. While the arrows were nothing more than a light shaft with a sharp point of a dense material, the dagger continued its flight with a number of comments of concern about where its thick and sharp blade might land. As a number of lads took off to hopefully retrieve the dagger, I had my eyes seek an estimation of how far they would have to run. Watching them go off into the distance, I was glad to see Atagandes returning.

He had a young lady helping to carry a number of baskets, and as he arrived he said, "Hallith, I believe your sacrifice was a good investment. I had someone approach proposing that I start my day off with a payment to the church, but showed him a medallion and he wished me a good day. I was near a vendor, and suddenly gained excellent service."

Hallith replied, "I believe your luck was in meeting the lady, Atagandes."

"Yes, I was surprised to gain her help, but she said that her service was only due to me having already gained the honor of her god."

"That probably was not a lie. How are you doing, Ernid?"

She moved on to the house while saying, "Father should be here shortly, Honored Hallith. He wanted to come last night, but just had too much going on in the temple."

Atagandes stood holding his baskets for a moment, then asked, "You know her? That is the daughter of the one I am to see?"

Hallith replied, "No, but the daughter of an officer in the temple military. I would however suspect that when her father comes, Chertish will be with him."

"So we can get this meeting over with?"

"Yes, Atagandes. Ayither and I need to travel on, but I can open a portal so you, Phesdorra, and Brequir can go home."

"Well, good." I saw Atagandes look to me as he admitted, "The journey was not wasted, but I don't believe the effect was as great as desired."

Hallith moved to the door to open it for the man while saying, "You haven't met Chertish yet, Atagandes. You can state your opinion of my plan after meeting him."

I did not know whether to stay outside or go with him. What helped make my decision was having Pesloe come out soon followed by Cornispe. I could not help but recognize that those who knew Chertish wanted to meet him whether Atagandes did or not, so felt it best if I stayed outside.

People could be seen genuflecting as a group of men moved down the street. The actions were quick without any extended displays of desiring to be recognized for performing the act. The lads that had run off after the dagger did not put on any show or stop with alarm. They however rushed to present the dagger to one in the group, then point in our direction. People could then be heard laughing as the lads rushed to us.

They stopped at a distance, then stood as the one holding the dagger admitted, "Grace Chertish told us not to give it to you."

Hallith replied, "I am sure he had his reason."

As the group of men closed, one proclaimed, "The reason was that it would be one less weapon in your lady's hands as I did this."

The man did not slow down his pace as he came upon Ayither to embrace her. The act was so sudden that I felt she would respond. She however simply smiled, and when the man broke the embrace just enough to enable his face to kiss her she met him fully on the lips.

He then said, "Hallith, I would say you have a way with divine women, but I am told this lady is not sponsored by a goddess like your slave was."

Hallith replied, "No, Chertish."

"Well, you tell Anerth that he is a damn fool not to want to share moments like this with those in our lives, much less with others."

"Maybe in four hundred years, Chertish."

"You and this lady do it together. If the sight of the two of you does not get something moving between his legs, I will have to come out of the divine realms to speak to him myself."

Atagandes came out of the house as Brequir was introduced to Chertish. I found it interesting that he showed no fear in rubbing the bear's fur just as Pesloe had not. As I was introduced, Atagandes came forward to have his meeting with the man accomplished.

We were thanked for our signs of respect to the local deity. Atagandes admitted that he had not really sacrificed anything except his time. Chertish let it be known that the loss of time was precious, so the medallion was deserved.

After a few more comments, Chertish asked about the amount of food available inside, which had Atagandes ask, "That's it?"

Chertish replied, "I am at your convenience."

"This meeting was supposed to change my mind about things."

"I am here because I stopped attempting to do the impossible. Four hundred years can ruin a man. I came here to this mountain so empty after winning battle after battle for four hundred years. I don't want to win any more battles. Fight them yourself."

With a tone of defiance in his voice, Atagandes replied, "But you rule this land."

"I rule because those who had power on this mountain sought to keep people from Zetrullid. I did not win any victory. Cornispe won the victory. He went around those who were here and gained something wonderful in spite of them. This is a mountain within which lives a god. By the time Cornispe got me here, I found the people here more than glad to accept me. I do all I can to let people have their way. If they want to go past me, I know they will have to face my god. That is their blessing or doom, and I will smile letting them get what they deserve from someone who has the authority and will always have the authority."

"So, you rule by not ruling?"

"Don't you get it? I am going to die. Not today, but I will. For four hundred years if I lost a battle there was an act of major destruction as my god worked to have me restored. That will not happen when this body finishes its time. When I die I will then face Zetrullid and know my battles are over. Well, I have decided that I done enough battles already. I allow others to fight their battles, and strangely I am told that I am victorious for doing that."

Atagandes turned to me to ask, "Are you going to do that, Phesdorra?"

I pointed out, "The only soldiers with him are to protect him, Atagandes. They are not forcing the people to do anything."

Chertish said, "Don't think that after four hundred years I did not learn a thing or two about fighting my own battles. Maybe Hallith made a mistake with you. Maybe he should have had you go meet Anerth."

Hallith said, "That is not so easy, Chertish."

A good amount of filth came from the man before he said, "All you had to do was open a portal." Chertish then pointed at Atagandes while saying, "But you would have found yourself in the middle of some battle so grand that you might not have been able to comprehend what was being fought. Think about it. Would you rather fight things so evil that the honor is simply being in the struggle, much less overcoming it, or would you rather fight good, decent people who are just trying to make some change in their lives?"

Atagandes met the man's gaze as he replied, "There should be rules to keep them from disrupting the lives of others."

"Others who disrupted the lives of others to get the rules they wanted."

With defiance, Atagandes said, "There should be rules."

"The gods make the rules. Further, not only are their rules for us now, but for eternity. Our rules will not last so long."

"What if you don't believe in gods?"

"You're in the wrong damn place with the wrong damn people to say something like that. I just mentioned Anerth, but you are already surrounded by divine champions. Hallith is bringing Ayither to meet Zetrullid. Go on up with them."

Clearly voicing suspicion about what he heard, Atagandes asked, "I can meet a god?"

"I told you that I do not stand in peoples' ways. I won't stop you. Those in the monastery above won't stop you. Being with Hallith and Pesloe, those of Morlin will assure that you are quickly brought to the main chamber. Yes, you can meet a god."

"I have been fighting with a pixie. I have had conversations with a bear. I left the company of a large talking caterpillar and a strange creature from the ocean. I am really curious about what a god will look like." Atagandes turned to me to say, "We are going up to meet with this god."

Worried, I had to ask, "Do we need a blessing?"

Chertish replied, "Darling pixie, meeting a god is a blessing. Now, if you don't mind, let's go eat."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34)   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Six (29 - 34)
Page 1 of 1