Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Empty33%To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Empty67%To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) EmptyTo Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Voting_bar2To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Empty 
TerishD (1441)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) EmptyTo Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Voting_bar2To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TerishD

To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Empty
PostSubject: To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22)   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2020, 6:55 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Seventeen

(Phesdorra)

The days of purification ended up being rather pleasant.  Cornispe spoke some complaints, but he and Pesloe were the only declared couple of our group.  Hallith and Ayither could be said to belong to that category, but they seemed pleased just to spend time with each other.  Pesloe stayed with them, and her presence helped to get Hallith to speak.  Listening to the stories from those who had experience at being divine champions helped us who had recently gained the status.

The major difference in us and the aliens was that they were focused on combat.  Hallith and Pesloe had fought for over four hundred years.  They thought nothing of spending time sparring with each other with their practice battles often showing enough destructive potential that everyone watched from a great distance.  Ayither was also a good warrior.  Neither Dechant, Vonall, Brequir, nor me were experienced with any real combat other than what we had to do to survive.

It did not help to hear the stories from the elves.  They also spoke of horrendous threats.  We listened with concern to the story of the malicious beast that laid waste to their empire and set in motion the rise of humanity.  There was then the tale of the ice tortoric that would have wiped out humanity if not for the arrival of the Quartermasters.  From what we heard of the elves, there was a need for champions like the aliens and not like us.

I was too small and frail to put up any fight.  Dechant was larger than me, but his many hands did not have the ability to handle anything more than a miniscule weapon.  He also did not have the speed to truly avoid attacks or take advantage of openings in his opponent.  Vonall spoke of having some comfort in a watery environment, but of being a sickly and frail creature if she did not have any divine support.  While Brequir had the size and power to put up a good fight, against opponents like what was presented in the stories he still would have been too small and frail to claim any victory.

Cornispe came from his time of prayer to listen to me and Dechant speak of our concern, then he asked, "What about the time during the ages?"  When Dechant asked Cornispe about his question, he explained, "Do you get threats like that all the time?  Do the elves speak of these grand threats during their age?  How often did the humans face these really dangerous threats?"

Dechant replied, "I don't think they had any problems like that."

"So it should be proper to believe you won't either.  If you do face such a problem, call out to your God to summon us to handle it.  What you need to focus upon is the type of problems you are intended to solve."

"What type of problems would those be?"

"Listen, Hallith, Pesloe, Ayither, and I are able to take on some really grand threats.  For the last thirty years Pesloe and I however have settled into a home and raised a family.  We handled that as well.  Hallith and Ayither are now talking about the same.  Life is going to present you with all sorts of problems, and you deal with them the best you can.  Sometimes you have to deal with them by turning to others."

The voice of Pesloe said, "And sometimes you simply stand amazed when someone proves themselves as being able to do things you never suspected."

"That was a compliment, right?"

"Are you ready, Cornispe?"

"We could go and make it where I am not."

The lady came up to kiss her husband before saying, "I want you with me in the morning, Cornispe."

"Uh, Pesloe, if I was a divine champion as well, we could have been doing things as usual?"

"No, Cornispe.  Well, we could, but this is not our world, so our going through certain rites is to show that we are willing to submit to the present system.  As for the prayers, you know that I am in constant contact with Zetrullid, so basically always praying."

He grabbed her and I watched as she allowed herself to share some affection before Cornispe asked, "He has not told you what is coming, has he?"

"I don't believe he has been told.  Not his world.  Be there in the morning with me, Cornispe, and we will find out together."

While it felt uncomfortable asking with both present, I went ahead and said, "It must be nice having someone to share your life with."

As I hoped, it was Pesloe that replied, "It can be troublesome, but it does help in relating to others.  They see me also having to work within a relationship, and children, so going through some of the same trials they are.  While everyone likes to hear stories of my battles as a Quartermaster, they are simply entertainment to them and not anything they can relate to."

"So, this is going to be a lonely life."

"Enjoy it, Phesdorra.  I was there.  I fought and fought and fought.  Those were experiences that shaped me in ways no one else can know.  Still, here I am with Cornispe and finding myself with friends.  It was worth it."

Cornispe said, "I might not be a divine champion, but I went through my challenges as well.  Somehow it made me able to stand with this lady.  See it through, Phesdorra."

I thanked the couple, then flew off.  I had to pause however, as my mind did not feel at peace.  The words troubled me.  Feeling that my height gave me some privacy, I had to speak to someone I hoped was listening.

"God, why am I a bothered by these thoughts?  I was born for this life, created for this life.  There should be no doubt about my purpose."

It disturbed me to hear someone reply, although seeing Chifar resting on an upper limb of a nearby tree I felt relief knowing it was a trusted friend.  "This is a new age, Phesdorra, and we are all seeing the potentials in options we never suspected would be possible.  We are also being presented with concerns we felt would never bother us.  As our champion, you must face these issues as well."

I flew over to take a seat on the limb next to the owl, then said, "But you are an owl, Chifar.  I don't hear you speaking of things other than your life as an owl.  I however am feeling emotions for things that are not a part of my life."

"You are a lady, Phesdorra.  Whether or not certain choices are ever available to you, others will see you as a lady and relate to you in that manner.  As a lady, you should face the issues of a lady with the understanding that you will be a role-model to other ladies."

"But I feel so unprepared.  I was born to this life.  Just like all the others of my kind, I should have everything I need."

"The only way to gain experience, Phesdorra, is to live it.  As a divine champion, you are to have a connection with our God.  The only way to gain that relationship is to seek it."

I looked at the height I had reached, then said, "I was attempting that."

Chifar had a wing come around me as he replied, "You're doing the right things, Phesdorra.  You overcame Atagandes.  Yes, help was given, but if you were not on the right path then the help would not have been there.  You came back from this other world with good people.  You are doing the right things, Phesdorra.  Trust that God is seeing that."

"Do you think that one day I might have a husband?"

"Don't worry about that right now, Phesdorra.  Some things that come before us are temptations, and not really options.  Worry about what is important, and right now seeking attention from men, assuming there are any men who would be proper for you, is not important."

I turned to peck Chifar on his beak before saying, "I'm glad to have you as a friend."
"It's an honor, Phesdorra.  Still, learn what you can, as I won't be with you always.  I am just an owl."

"Don't talk about that, Chifar.  Right now it's not important."  I stood while saying, "I intended to speak to our God."

"I am glad to have been given words to say.  Still, Phesdorra, you are right to seek your own relationship with Him."

I flew up even higher to where I felt I could be alone.  While I did not know what to say, I spoke about my concerns.  Even though I did not hear anyone speak to me, I felt a comforting presence that had me feel safe where I was.

Coming down the next morning I noticed a silence I did not expect.  The alien champions were quietly following Chifar's instructions.  There were no bold speeches of what would be accomplished, but simply a willingness to do what was required.  I had found the aliens to be nice people.  They had not gone around speaking of being better than us.  Feeling they were setting a good example for us, I dropped on down expecting to be a part of the ceremony.
Hearing the voices of the others speaking with alarm, I opened my eyes to see thick mist about us.  The change surprised me, because I expected the feeling of movement like when I was sent to Hallith.  I however had no sensations of going anywhere, but simply believed I had managed a prayer that transferred my mentality to a higher state of existence.  Wondering about the mist, I listened to what the others could tell me.

Ayither said, "I do not sense anything in the air."

Hallith replied, "Not in the air, Ayither, but a part of the air.  Sweet, sour, bitter, salt - you need to sense what is being carried by the air."

"Ah, yes.  I AM STORM!"

Ayither shot upwards while drawing her weapon.  She quickly left my view.  Being able to fly as well, I also took off to support her.  Being surrounded by the mist without seeing Ayither, Chifar, or anyone actually scared me, so I descended to where I could see those on the ground and they would not worry about no longer having sight of me.  I stopped seeing the other alien champions draw their weapons.

They made out something in the mist.  I maneuvered to keep them in view while also staying out of the way of any attacks.  I cannot say that they struck anything, but from their words to each other I understood they were attempting to combat something.  Hearing Brequir roar, I turned to him worried, which became a real concern when he bit at something then was dragged a distance as he held on.  I called out to the others, although moved through the mist to assure that I did not lose sight of the bear.

"Kiss him."

The words were clear, although I had no clue as to where the words came from.  They were not spoken by anyone I knew.  I also did not consider how the words could apply.  The only man I could see was Brequir, and his mouth had a hold on someone.  Suddenly the face of a man could be seen, and while wondering what I was doing I obeyed the words I had heard.
I did not move to the lips.  My size was not sufficient to trade any real sign of affection with most men.  I aimed for a cheek, although with him not suspecting my action I did end up making contact near the lips.

A voice like that of a lad exclaimed, "Ooh, yuck!"

The body of Cornispe dove through the mist, made contact with something, and I saw Brequir let go then move to help the human.  Ayither descended commenting that what they had been battling did not seem to be big at all.  The voice of a boy complained about the way Cornispe held him, although seeing the man simply tote the youth like a sack let me know that he was not being harmed.

The lad was set down on his feet as Cornispe said, "Being kissed by a lady would distract me, but I would not say, 'Yuck.'"

"Hey!" the youth exclaimed.  "What do you know about -"  He looked at me with the strangest expression, but before I could ask his name he asked me a question.  "Why did you do that?"
I did not want to tell him that I was told to, although I did not want to lie either.  "Are you hurt?"

"Why should you care?"

Cornispe answered, "Because you said, 'Yuck.'  She probably thought it was cute.  Now answer the sweet lady's question."

"Sweet?  Hey, I'm sweet too."  He looked to me, then looked to Pesloe before asking, "Hey, what has been done to me?"

I felt that I was sensing something, but it was Ayither that spoke first, "I don't believe this is really a boy."

"Yeah, what do you know?"

Cornispe asked, "Drank too much from the fountain of youth?"

"What would you know about that?"

"I have my own story about becoming immortal.  Now, sweet boy -"

I would have liked to have heard that story, but the lad exclaimed, "HEY!  You're going to regret saying that."

"Maybe in a few years after you grow up.  In the meantime, how about answering some questions."

I asked, "Do you know Atagandes?"

The lad answered, "Yeah, the fink.  Where is he?"

Cornispe answered, "Probably on his way back by now.  He got caught as well."

"Well, Hupragordes got himself the position of sour, so Atagandes is out."

Hearing names I knew, I thought of other humans, then asked, "Are you Dopredish?"

"Yeah.  What's it to you?  Hold it.  You're Phesdorra, aren't you?"

"Yes."

"How does it feel being sweet?"

I flew up to kiss him again.  He simply looked at me as I did it.  Not thinking the lad sweet at all, I answered his question.

"I'm a pixie.  I was born into my status.  You're the one who went through a change.  How does it feel?"

"There is power, awesome power.  It's great, but nothing to do with it.  I mean, what do you do?"

"I am what I am."  I looked to Cornispe as I asked, "What are we going to do with him?"

He answered, "Wrap him up and carry him with us.  I guess we have three more to capture."
"HEY!" Dopredish exclaimed.  "You can't do that."

Cornispe proved that he could.  Hallith did help, but I gained the impression from Cornispe that he had dealt with rebellious youths before.  With the lad tossed over his shoulder, he then asked in what direction to travel to prove ourselves superior to the next threat.

Last edited by TerishD on February 26th 2020, 6:35 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Eighteen   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2020, 6:43 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Eighteen

(Hallith)

I spoke with Ayither about her impression of the divine plane of her gods, as I had noticed a mist covering sections of it during our travels. She freely made comments with me, and soon we had heard some others speak of their impression of what was around us. At a pause, I however heard the bear change the subject.

“Cornispe, did you gain your immortality from a fountain of youth? I’m asking because I heard what you said to the boy.”

I knew his story, but listened as he replied, “Not as in water. Most used the font for that purpose, although the benefit was rather minor. I however had a lady, an elf lady, who knew of its true potential. Having it used for such a purpose however activated a guardian. She died protecting me as I went through the rite she had instructed me to perform. I gained immortality, and the elf kingdom, but the lady who was to rule with me was dead.”

“She risked her life for you?”

Pesloe replied, “Cornispe is a lot better man than he lets others realize.” I felt the lady grab an arm as she said, “Hallith, I was right to marry him.”

I returned, “Ayither is a divine champion, Pesloe. I have a god speaking of her being a worthy catch.”

The champion of storm said, “The same with me.”

“And we both hear others speaking in favor of each other.”

Pesloe said, “You two better visit.”

“We both said we would, Pesloe.”

Brequir had been polite enough to allow us the comments, but finally asked, “Am I the only one of our group that can marry? I mean, I’m not even certain I should, or can. I mean I’m a bear. I have a nice den, but – Atagandes spoke of me getting a lady, but bears just don’t do things like that, or didn’t used to do things like that.”

Dechant answered, “I would have to turn into a butterfly.”

Vonall said, “Just living is sometimes tough for me.”

Phesdorra replied, “I have no idea. I am a woman, but reproduction is something our kind does out of purpose, not out of love and a strong relationship.” Stress entered her voice as she then asked, “What type of age are we going to represent?”

Vonall asked, “Are the other animals getting spouses and raising a family like the humans did?”

Brequir answered, “Some are, yes. I mean, aren’t you the one that said if we did not raise our children properly they could end up just being animals? So, if we raised them as animals, wouldn’t that just assure them of becoming animals?”

Phesdorra replied, “And what of my kind? Would we lose our purpose? What about the wild plants, and certain natural phenomena? If we are having relationships and lives, what of those things we used to care for?”

I felt the conversation was a good one, so would have liked for it to continue. I however had to signal for silence as a really horrible smell drifted upon us. Ayither looked at me. I suspected the glance to only be her letting me know that she remembered words from earlier of things being carried on the air. What she said had me feel that she was also gaining something from the conversations.

“I don’t want to use my weapon on a child.”

Pesloe replied, “They’re not really children. Also, to be in this realm they should be a little more than normal. Use the flail.”

Ayither nodded, grabbed the indicated weapon, then made her usual declaration, “I AM STORM!”

Again as she shot up I advanced. I really had no weapon besides my large sword. There were other blades on my person, but I agreed with Ayither about not wanting to truly hurt those we were going against. Hearing the sound of a girl make an exclamation, I actually stopped and waved my hand to Pesloe for her to advance.

Cornispe and I traded comments about what we heard from the fight. I know I was entertained, as the voices of Ayither, Pesloe, and their opponent was easily differentiated. I guess that both of our ladies were not striking with any intent to do harm, as the girl suddenly rushed off only to exclaim the name of Phesdorra before yelping.

Vonall declared, “I have her!”

I heard a girl using language that I would not approve of as a parent in advancing to where the ladies were. Vonall sought to begin the interrogation, but the filth that came in response let it be known that there was no intent to comply to the questions. I however pointed at Cornispe carrying the body of the lad, and with a simple command I hushed the girl.

“Do her the same.”

The girl said, “Hold it. Wait. You didn’t kill him?”

I had to ask, “What made you think that we did?”

“I stopped hearing him.”

“And with the language you were using did you think we would continue to allow you to speak?”

Pesloe said, “It was very unladylike –”

I quickly spoke to reinforce those words, “Definitely not something a girl should be saying.”

The girl replied, “Well, how did you get here?”

Ayither answered, “We are divine champions. Going into a divine realm for us is not that difficult. The question is how did you get here?”

“We reverted to being children. Of such is the kingdom of Heaven. The only problem is that this does not look like Heaven.”

“There is more to the divine realm than just the areas dedicated to those that are in control.”

“Yes, well, we were realizing that. I guess you need to take us back, as we are lost.”

I said, “Gag her. Should be two more around here somewhere.”

Again a series of words that a girl should not say flowed from her throat, although this time Vonall stuck a cloth in her mouth then wrapped a length of cord around her head to keep the gag in place. Cornispe told me that he would flip me for the privilege of carrying the girl, but Pesloe picked her up then told her husband to continue to carry the lad. He did as was told while saying words of being willing to obey his wife.

I could not help but comment, “If I doubted you would obey her, Cornispe, I would have spoken against you marrying Pesloe.”

He shot back, “I didn’t seek your blessing, Hallith, but Zetrullid’s. He gave me the ring, so it did not matter what you said.”

“Honestly, you’re correct. Still, I trust Zetrullid that if you would not have obeyed Pesloe, he would not have given you the ring.”

“Yes, that is very possibly the truth.” He smiled at me, then asked, “So, what has Zetrullid said about Ayither?”

Pesloe replied, “Probably that she is going to get a better husband than I got.”

A number of those around me laughed. It pleased me to have Ayither lean against me while chuckling. She had been moving with a rather serious demeanor, but I knew that was not the real personality of the lady. Seeing her break her driven attitude pleased me, and smiling at her I signaled for her to return to her act.

It was not that much longer before I noticed the tang of salt in the air. Something about what I sensed however registered upon me in a different manner. While Ayither again made her declaration and shot into the air, I simply strode forward. I noticed a shimmering presence from a large watery being who really did not know who he was up against.

“You cannot win against me.”

I reached forward, then had the water flow away from the being. I knew that salt would pull water to it, but it was a secondary ability, at best, while my deity had direct influence on the liquid. Again I saw a youth, but that did not keep me from punching him in the face. As he dropped to the ground, I told Vonall to come forward and tie this lad up.

As she got to work, I asked, “Can you ask your God where the water came from? It could help us figure out some things.”

Dechant came up to ask, “How did you take him out so easily?”

Ayither replied, “He’s water, strong water.”

Cornispe commented, “One more to go.”

I asked, “Yes, Phesdorra, what about Hupragordes?”

The pixie replied, “I really do not know about him. If you remember, I entered your mind completely unaware that I had gone into the wrong mind. All I can say is that there must be a reason Atagandes wanted me to go into his thoughts.”

“And a reason your God did not.”

Pesloe asked, “What are we dealing with here, Hallith? We have people able to restore youth and enter the divine realms. This is not normal.”

“No, but I am wondering whether this is a fluke or just the tip of a much bigger problem.”

“You don’t work power like this with a fluke. Whatever they did, they repeated it.”

Dechant said, “I agree with Pesloe. They knew what they were doing. Maybe not everything about what they were doing, but enough to do it.”

I asked again, “Where did the water come from?”

Vonall stepped up to Pesloe, then said, “I can feel it. Maybe with your connection to water we can locate it.”

The two held hands, then Pesloe had one of her hands go to Vonall’s neck. I heard whispering, but could not tell if they were trading sensations or praying or both. They then both broke into laughter. They let go of their hands with Pesloe continuing to laugh while Vonall controlled her voice enough to give us some information.

“He tried to do something with a pond. Make it sour, I guess. Anyway, he is tied up for us. We just need to go get him.”

Dechant asked, “And that will be that?”

“No. You were right. They knew what they were doing. We have to deal with that.”
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Nineteen   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2020, 6:41 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Nineteen

(Phesdorra)

The journey through the divine realm was nothing like I thought it would be. Nothing about it was grand. The mist kept us from seeing any wonderful views. The battles were nothing to brag about. What was said was not really anything special. About the only thing of any value from the divine realm was the rope used to tie up Hupragordes. Vonall had brought some cord with her, which she used to tie up the other youths. The final one had however been secured with a local rope extremely soft, but unbreakable. None of us felt this journey had been as we thought it would be, but with the youths we felt that we had done what had been required of us.

None of the children told us anything useful. I almost felt sorry for them in speaking with them, as it seemed their memories had been stripped away along with their years. There was no sense of being in the presence of adults. They spoke as children, including complaining as children. We ended up creating harnesses out of ropes, then tying them to a leash like animals with the other end secured to a tree. We then asked the locals creatures to keep a watch over them while we went and discussed what we had learned to see if we had gained anything useful.

We all agreed that the four we returned with were children. They were not shrunken adult humans, but physically in immature bodies approximately of five years of age. While we could get them to remember things of their pasts, their minds also seemed to have been reduced to only thinking in an undeveloped manner incapable of processing the experiences life had taught them. It was hard debating the problem we were facing with them, as all the evidence said that we were dealing with children.

I had to say, "They are right about the lines they are quoting from the holy texts, but the application is something no one has previously achieved. I wish Atagandes was with us. He surely could explain things."

Cornispe said, "Well, I hate to say it, but of the group of us, Pesloe and I are the only ones with actual experience dealing with children. Hallith, I doubt you can say that you have some real experience."

The large man replied, "I am proud of those I had through Kierle, but I will admit to being gone through much of their lives."

"I then hate to say it, but you guys are going to have to trust me."

Pesloe asked, "What are you going to do, Cornispe?"

"The one thing I happen to be good at, acting immaturely."

"I want it said that I am not agreeing with you, but simply acknowledging that you do tend to be successful at your stupid stunts."

None of us had any ideas, so gave him license simply hoping that he truly had a different tactic. We watched as he went to his saddlebags. He took out a bag that appeared to contain some sort of food item, then headed to where the children were tied up. Proving that it was something edible, he began munching on whatever was in the bag while taking a seat in a central position among the children. Wondering what the man was hoping to accomplish, I flew up to get a view from where I hoped the children would not notice me.

Cornispe said, "We really don't know what to do with you, but keeping you tied up is no good. In the morning we are going to assign some chores. Put up any resistance, and you however will end up back here."

Dopredish asked, "Is that candy?"

"Uh, yes, but you won't like it. My kids don't. It is made with honey and some tart berries that are then cooked. It ends up being a rather developed taste."

Dopredish pulled his leash taught as he reached out to Cornispe to plead, "Let me have some."

"Like Hell! After gathering the honey and berries, then convincing certain ladies to go the trouble of making it, I am not going to have you spitting it out. Listen, do your chores and we might find some things you like."

"I'm not going to spit it out."

"Bull. My children spit it out. I spanked them. Already spanked your butts, but you still ain't getting any."

The girl began asking him about his children using none of the filthy language she had previously included in her speech. Cornispe took the time to converse on a number of topics, including mentioning what type of candy they liked. Finally, the girl asked a question as if she had won points with him.

"Can I have a piece?"

Cornispe replied, "No. If I give you a piece then I will have to give the others one."

"No, you don't."

Hupragordes declared, "Yes, he would!"

All four children began arguing with each other. I heard some of the animals also watching from the trees laugh as Cornispe made signs of continuing to enjoy his candy. Finally, the children ceased their arguing with Dopredish asking the question I believe a number of those watching expected to eventually come.

"What would we have to do to get a piece?"

Cornispe answered, "First, do your chores."

"That shouldn't be too hard."

"Shouldn't be. Next. eat what you're served without complaining. Can't give you candy if you aren't eating what you're supposed to eat."

Hupragordes declared, "We aren't children!"

"Yes, you are, and your growing bodies need proper nutrition."

The lad associated with salt, Literney, said, "You can't do this to us."

"Me? You did it to yourselves. I assume you wanted to be children. Well, you're children. Excuse us for treating you that way, but chores, a proper diet, and a proper education."

The girl, who we had learned was named Metinnati, said, "We already have gained an education."

"We will determine whether you have a proper education. Maybe we can get you to respect being an adult and not get any serious ideas about re-entering your childhood again."

"There was more to it than that."

"Yes. I figured you would have believed that. You were in the divine realm showing off all these powers. The only problem was that you were not doing good at it. Those powers weren't natural to you, but you had just gained them. Also, here you are tied up with nothing special, and none of you are using any special powers to escape. You're not like those with me. You're no divine champions. You're just wanna-bes. Well, you're children. You're back to imaginary friends and dream worlds. Chores start in the morning, and you eat what you are served when you are served it. Do well, and you might get some candy."

Literney said, "Lugronorn. The man you want is Lugronorn."

"No, it's not. You're proof of that. It was supposed to be a man named Atagandes who gained the status as champion of sour. He's a wanna-be as well, but he did manage to capture the real Champion of Sweet then follow her to my home." Cornispe closed the bag that held whatever he was eating, then said, "Which is on another world, where my candy came from. Being able to pull that stunt has me believe Atagandes was behind what happened with you four. However, he could match me in being an asshole. Lugronorn might be more reasonable. We might see about that."

He stood, then said, "This is a lot larger operation than one man. I would suspect that each of you had charge of a number of people as well. In fact, that is why I believe all of you have been silently suffering your treatment. You are expecting to be rescued. Well, I hate to tell each of you, but you are children. What was done to you might not have made you divine champions, but it did make you children. Should you get rescued, I would say that you would still be looking at chores in the morning with proper servings of proper food at meal times along with a proper education."

That declaration started the four talking. It seemed that the changing of the age released some energies that the humans recognized as being the forces necessary to affect some changes they had long desired to do. While they really did not like to use the word 'magic,' they found themselves able to perform some experiments showing results that could not be explained by the laws they had come to trust upon. The four spoke of the wonders they had seen in the lab, and the conclusions they gained that led to them taking the steps that put them in their present condition.

From what the youths said, Lugronorn had been an important name in developing the science. I listened as the four spoke of him orchestrating the various independent findings into a cohesive set of theories. He however found himself constrained by the properties of bitter, salt, sour, and sweet. He considered them properties, and not true elements, so became stymied in his research. Atagandes however reveled in the revelations of the differences in the new science and the old, and pushed Lugronorn with ideas to advance his experiments to discover the potential for true greatness.

I found it interesting that the reason Atagandes identified with sour had nothing to do with his own choice. It seemed the properties somehow concentrated in people differently. Most had a pleasant mix, but in a few a particular aspect would dominate. Atagandes found that he was sour, and felt that made him special.

He turned on me simply because he was attempting to learn of his own powers. Atagandes felt that there would be some recognition of those with a dominance of a certain property, but did not find anything special in his fellow humans. He actually detected nothing in himself. While he could recognize that he was primarily sour, outside certain experiments he did not find himself to be anything special. It was Metinnati who claimed to discover the presence of the fey, and in following her findings Atagandes discovered me. Attempting to discover what powers I had, he turned his attention on seeing what I could do.

I did appreciate hearing a lot of the information. What the four said did not conflict with my own memories, but actually allowed me to make sense of how Atagandes treated me. Hearing the other side of the story helped my own attitude in how to feel for the four we had on leashes.

There were questions that I wanted to ask, but I heard Brequir roar. There had been sounds of alarm, but they had been at a distance. Elves had their own history, and their desire to keep in the background caused them to react to things most would not consider to be a problem at all. Hearing the bear, I however had to turn from the four to consider that a serious threat was approaching.

I heard Ayither sound out, "I AM STORM!" before seeing her rise, although was surprised when she turned to me. "Phesdorra, I do not wish to hurt anyone. Would you come with me?"

"Of course," I replied before setting my wings my wings in motion. "I however do not know if I can move as fast as you."

"No, I'm not calm. I however have learned that the storm is within whether it shows in my actions or not. I am here, Phesdorra. If you can bring the calm, the others will be grateful. If you need the storm, I hope that you are grateful."

"Yes, Ayither. Thanks. Come on."
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Twenty   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2020, 7:06 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Twenty

(Hallith)

I heard Pesloe tell me to go with Vonall, although her grabbing my arm had me believe that Pesloe was just assuring that I would acknowledge the desire of another. The one she had to yell at was her own husband. Cornispe wanted to be directly in the fight, so did not want to stay with the slow caterpillar. Pesloe did to him the same thing she used to do with us fellow Quartermasters, which was to leave following her own commands and allow the men to make decisions for themselves. I looked to Vonall, and seeing the ocean lady look back to me I spoke to my princess to let her know that I would acknowledge her orders.

“Pesloe, where should we go?”

“That way.” She let go of my arm as she pointed, then said, “I can do things on my own, but want you with me in case I can’t.”

“I won’t know the difference unless you tell me.”

“I can accept that. Come on.”

Vonall not only had trouble moving, but having to do so while avoiding all the animals and elves fleeing in the opposite direction. She reached out to me a couple of times, and I wrapped an arm around her to help her move. As we saw a tree fall from the advance of heavy machinery, Vonall asked me a question concerning tactics.

“Can you take a tank?”

“It’s mechanical,” I answered. “It won’t go into death throes after I kill it.”

“I like your way of saying, ‘Yes.’ I’m going that way. You go that way, and hopefully we can meet in the middle.”

I assumed she also said that she could take on a tank. I had been in enough battles to know not to ask too many questions. Most things you wondered about during the action became explained afterward with the rest just making good conversation. Vonall was a divine champion of this world, so I allowed she had the authority. I told her that I could take on a tank, so I went to take on a tank.

Soldiers yelled at me to stop. Of course I continued to move at a fast pace. They hesitated as if not wanting to fire their weapons. My sword had been proven against creatures most did not even want to know existed. Metal was dense, but I had lived a life going against things that were crafted to handle forces much more powerful than artillery. My blade sunk through the armor and cut gears and circuitry disabling the tank. I then looked to the soldiers wondering if they were going to stop or if I needed to cease their existence.

I will admit to killing a few. Over four hundred years of facing threats worse than bullets had me move in a manner where I was hard to target. Of course, I also wore armor meant to protect me from horrible attacks, and I had been granted the blessing of my wounds healing rather quickly. What that meant was that I was not someone intended to fight normal battles. It really was not fair for me to attack the regular soldiers, or even their tanks, but some men gave me no choice but to kill them.

After disabling three of the tanks, and a few other military vehicles, I saw Vonall. She was surrounded by an aura that puzzled me. It took pausing to look at the vehicles around her and what I could sense from the bullets sent in her direction to realize what I was seeing. Of course, I should have immediately recognized it. Vonall claimed to be salt, and that was the substance of the aura, which was corrupting the integrity of the metal around her.

As I moved to attack those attempting to kill her, I felt another strange force. A feeling stronger than hopelessness overcame me. While I had centuries to help me control my emotions, the regular soldiers began speaking of their anger at losing the battle and those who had given them the commands to fight a hopeless conflict. Cornispe yelling at me to grab the weapons had me ignore the mental force and return to action.

I could feel the emotion being projected by Dechant, so it did not surprise me when the soldiers reacted in ways other than simply giving up. Some threw their weapons at me. A few acted as if they wanted to shoot me, but they then dropped their guns as they knelt to cry. A number simply walked away cursing, although Cornispe and I moved to take their weapons as well. Only after Vonall felt safe enough to drop her aura did Dechant cease the projection of the bitter emotion.

In the silence of me waiting for the next order and I guess Vonall and Dechant simply attempting to realize we had won, I finally had say, “Well, bitter seems to me to be the opposite of sweet, and not sour.”

The caterpillar asked, “You felt it?”

I sensed disbelief in his question, so put strength behind my reply, “Yes, I did. If I weren’t so hard-headed from centuries of facing terrors, I might have succumbed as well.”

“I’m sorry.”

“No. It was an experience. Vonall, how are you?”

She was panting, although managed to say, “I knew I could do it, as well as heard God tell me I could. It was still something I was not completely sure about.”

From over the distance a voice blared from being electronically amplified, “That was impressive. Now, however, I am sorry to have to destroy you.”

Vonall moved to secure a soldier while saying, “If he is talking about an attack from a satellite, I took those out a few days ago.”

Probably still feeling the bitter thoughts that had been projected upon him, a soldier asked, “You took out a satellite?”

“That was why God was telling me that I should trust that I had the power to take you on. I however did the satellites in a pond with no one around. Being surrounded by people attempting to attack me is a whole different type of experience.”

We traded some more comments between ourselves and the soldiers. The men gained the impression that we were not treating them as the enemy, but just as those we wanted removed from the conflict. I actually apologized to some for killing some of their comrades. They told me they understood, as they were under orders to kill us. We spoke comments of our hopes of coming to a peaceful resolution.

“I don’t know what you did to our satellite operations,” the amplified voice said, “but that… will… I guess some type of terms should be worked out between us.”

Vonall said, “There’s sweet. I was actually getting worried about her.”

Dechant asked, “Hallith, you and Ayither aren’t opposed, are you?”

I thought that was a strange question for the occasion, although I did answer, “No. I’m water and she’s air. I’m opposed by fire, and she would be opposed by earth.”

Cornispe said, “But it was fire that gave him his first lady, so they will work together.”

“Well, we’re not at war with each other.”

Dechant said, “Well, I was just asking since you said that Phesdorra was opposed to me.”

Cornispe commented, “You would not be much of a help if you kept fighting with each other.”

“No. I was still wondering.”

Vonall said, “Don’t be afraid of asking questions, Dechant, but be accepting of the answers.”

“What was sour doing?”

“The same thing I was doing, taking out the equipment. I cannot really tell you how, but you can ask him later. Of course, he had Pesloe with him doing basically what Hallith did for us.”

Dechant went through the motion of turning his head back and forth before asking, “How do you know all of that?”

“I asked.”

“Who?”

“God. Dechant, this body has problems. Merpeople have tails, not legs, so my legs are not the best in design. Sahaugin have a scaly body, so my skin texture is not the best. I would not survive without God, so I have a rather close relationship with Him. I am just to let you and the others know that God is there, that these divine statuses are present, and that you can have a relationship with God. Ask questions, Dechant, and you should find that you are answered.”

I was actually interested in the conversation, but we all went quiet seeing a burst of lightning. It was not a single stroke from the sky, but a flash of an electrical display. Considering I had taken out things of high science, there was a possibility the effect had been from some special weapon or device. I however had traveled enough to recognize the crude opening of a dimensional gate. I then moved to have a private conversation with my fellow divine champions upon hearing the amplified voice of someone I hoped would have stayed behind.

“Ah, Phesdorra, my sweet. My toying with you has been so instructive. I really need to keep playing with you, but right now I have inner-corporative business to concern myself with.”

We heard a distant yell in the normal fashion without any amplification. I almost rushed ahead but looked back. Vonall was working her legs to come to me, but Cornispe had moved to Dechant.

The caterpillar said, “Go on. There is enough here to keep me busy.”

Cornispe replied, “Don’t be bitter about it.”

“It doesn’t work that way. These men around here are the ones that might feel bitter. Resolve this situation, and we can all relax.”

“Relax.” Cornispe came in my direction while asking, “Hey, Hallith, are you thinking about relaxing with that storm of yours?”

“No,” I answered. “Right now I simply want to be able to watch her in action.”

“Yeah, you know I say the same thing about Pesloe whether I am outside my bedroom or inside it.”

“Are you trying to keep me from showing up to visit?”

“Oops.” He slapped me on the back before saying, “I’ll hush on the topic, Hallith. Pesloe will kill me if I do something to have you stay away. She really has been concerned for you all these years, Hallith.”

“I was happy,” I replied. “I really did not expect to find another woman that could make me happy. I however believe Ayither will.”

“Well, you really better not allow that lady to keep you from visiting. Pesloe wants you in her life, Hallith.”

“She is with Ayither.”

“Then what are we doing standing around yapping? Let’s go, Hallith!”

Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Twenty-One   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2020, 7:07 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Twenty-One

(Phesdorra)

For this to be my world, I really knew little of its laws. That was made more than apparent by what the humans were able to do. I knew about vehicles, but never really concerned myself with how they operated. The same was true with guns. Seeing the humans operate advanced versions of both took me by surprise, and realizing the humans had pushed the laws they knew to manufacture even more powerful vehicles, guns, and devices overwhelmed me.

Luckily Pesloe and Ayither displayed no awe of what their opponents were using against them. They both confidently moved up without any sign of being bothered by the bullets and began disabling the things of the humans. It did disturb me to see some of our opponents die, but considering the destruction done to the vehicles I had to accept that the loss of life was very minimal. I found myself so in awe of what Pesloe and Ayither were accomplishing that it took them yelling at me to get me to realize that I had powers to work as well.

The humans had been under orders. My influence could not affect them as long as they were of the mentality of getting a job done. They knew what they had been sent to do, and understood what results they expected their weapons to perform. The power of Brequir was not as obvious as the actions of Pesloe and Ayither, I however had to include what he did in achieving the results of rendering our opponents ineffective. The humans started to realize that their orders and the equipment supplied to fulfill those orders would not be sufficient to assuring success, and as they began to change their thinking I could work my influence.

Overcoming the mind of the general coordinating the military I felt to be a major accomplishment. Having a sense of victory did give me a sense of pride, but seeing the men being secured as criminals with some not rising from the ground had me retain an understanding of what had happened. I set myself to thinking of a way I could set the minds of the men toward accomplishing a better future for all.

Luckily, my companions had done a lot toward securing those sent to overcome us, so I could focus on the new problem. Seeing a display of power erupt in the air did have me worried, but my greatest concern was about having more humans die in their foolish battle. Seeing Atagandes drop to the ground actually brought me relief. I felt he could be a mediator who had seen enough to work with me in helping the humans understand their place in this new age. Having him rush to the central command position and begin speaking let me know to focus on him.

"Ah, Phesdorra, my sweet, my toying with you has been so instructive. I really need to keep playing with you, but right now I have inner-corporative business to concern myself with."

I replied, "This is not your age, Atagandes. That was why we went to the elves. We wanted to learn things from them about how to manage the transition."

"Sorry, Phesdorra, but we humans all but made the elves a forgotten memory. No one in our age even believed they were real. Sorry, but humans are not going to be some quiet, unnoticed people. We ruled an age, Phesdorra, and we will continue to let people and animals know what made us so great."

"Don't do that, Atagandes."

"Don't do that, Atagandes."

His mocking my words almost caused me to cry. I did not like the fact that some men died, and it really disturbed me that Atagandes would force us to kill more of his kind. Refusing to allow myself to break down, I flew up to face him while hoping my voice would be strong enough to be heard over the speakers.

"This isn't your age, Atagandes. The rules have changed. What once worked for you will not anymore."

He glared at me while saying, "There are still rules, Phesdorra. Rules can be learned, and we humans are the best at exploiting them. Sorry about that."

Brequir roared, "You're not sour, but evil!"

"Call it what you will, but I will be in charge."

He took off, but realizing the destruction that had been caused I shouted for the others to let him go with the bear challenging me, "What? Phesdorra, we can end this!"

"NO!" I turned to fly to him as I explained, "We cannot do this! This is our age. We do not do this. We will not go into the future doing this."

Pesloe asked, "You are going to have us do it?"

"No. We came to learn. We came to seek advice. I am sorry, but Atagandes is doomed. He is from a different age. His thinking is of that age. Whatever he learns will be corrupted by his mentality. We do not need that corruption. Let us learn what we have to learn, and go forth preaching that with words and deeds. If we do that, we not only will win, but will establish a good age."

An elf stepped forward to say, "Those are the right words. We however are from an even earlier age. Our way of thinking is probably even stranger than that of the humans."

"We did not come to learn of your age, but of the transition when humans came into their own. Those memories could help us know where to seek the guidance we need to come into our own."

"Well, we will be moving. Now that the humans have found us, we cannot stay here. If you will join us in our transition, we will see how much we can help you learn about your own transition."

The elves did not move quickly in preparing to abandon what had been their homes. As they went about determining what of their lives they could salvage, I saw the foreign divine champions come together. There was some affection between the men and women, but then I noticed Ayither fly off. I suspected what was being done, but did not speak against it. One reason was that I expected we would need some information on Atagandes' movement to make our own plan, and the other was that we could use a warning should we need to rush the elves in their activities to abandon their homes should he bring more humans to make another attack.

Word came for me to help an elderly elf. The explanation given to me was that he was a widower, so just needed some womanly help in organizing his things while packing. I felt there was more to the call, but had no reservations about doing what I could to aid the elves. I entered the tree to see a simple hollow in the wood, although noticed the man in a crack attempting to pull something out. I went over to him explaining that I had never been married, so did not know what type of help I could provide, but he called me over saying that I would provide what was needed.

He continued to tug on something while asking, "What are you expecting us elves to tell you?"

"The change to our lives seems so drastic. I have enough age to me to know that what is happening to us now is nothing like it was before." Not knowing if that was enough information, I said more. "We were here. I mean us pixies, and definitely the animals, but not with the status, or intelligence, or powers."

"Oh, yes, the humans were there. There was however a difference in their rise and yours. Yours has been magical. With us it was anger. We lost our age, and it was given to the humans. We fought the humans, but it was the human's age and they were willing to fight for it. We lost."

He yanked, and I saw him almost fall as something released. He smiled at me seeing me close attempting to prevent him from suffering harm. I felt in that moment that he truly was old, a trait really hard to recognize in elves, and missed the presence of a woman in his life. He however made no action of affection, but simply told me to help him pull down the item that finally released itself from where it had been stored.

What came down was more of a small crate than a box. The wood however appeared to have been polished. After setting the container down, I ran my fingers along symbols carved into the slats.

The elder elf asked, "Recognize those runes?"

"Runes? These are the symbols of our God."

"Yes, Phesdorra, they are. We elves gave Him no respect. It was His world, and we were His creation. There was an understanding of that with us. We however found the world enchanting, and put ourselves to work to master our environment. We did wonderful things, but we did not honor the creator. That was the transition from our age to that of the humans. The humans did look to God and gave him honor. Our age was destroyed as we elves were eradicated from existence with the humans blessed to take over."

He adjusted one of the slats, and it slid out. I saw items like those Chifar had in his possession, but what the elder elf pulled out was a simple piece of leather. As he adjusted the scrap of material, I saw a symbol I did not expect.

"That is the symbol of those who have come to help. It is of their god, Zetrullid."

The elf man replied, "Yes. They came to help the humans. Their age was being taken from them. They were facing eradication just like us elves, but they cried out to God and He sent the Quartermasters. They did not worship our God, but were strong devotees of a deity all the same. There was a lesson there for the humans. There is a lesson in the fact that these heroes have returned, but this time do not fight for the humans."

Attempting to find meaning in what I was being shown, I asked, "So, the humans are doomed?"

"Doomed? Were we elves doomed? Has the human age passed? I believe having the animals talk and powers such as I see being released surely declares that the age of man has passed. Now, Phesdorra, are you going to doom your age or not?"

"I hope to promote our God."

"Then all in this crate is yours."

"No!" I said looking around for others. "I don't need this. It should go to others, so they can spread things of our God to the people."

"Yes. They are the ones who need to know."

The elder elf had the countenance of a teacher who was pleased with his student, and I spoke hoping to keep the smile on his face. "Yes. I have these blessings, and I have those like Chifar who have what is necessary to present God to others. These items should go to those who are without in order to enable them to present certain truths."

"No. Yes. What these items should not be is lost, or their meaning forgotten. That is why I am entrusting them to you, Phesdorra. You need a feeling of ownership, of responsibility, to assure that these items are not lost or unused."

"But, you weren't using them."

"I told you, Phesdorra, we lost our age because we did not honor God. We honored His creation, but not Him. We were wrong. I'm sorry, Phesdorra, but I am placing the doom of your age before you. What happens is up to you now."

The elder elf suddenly began to dissolve in front of me. I cried seeing him suddenly pass. As a wind blew through the room dispersing the presence of the elder elf, I felt others come in.

It disturbed me that the others only began to finish the removing of things from the room. I turned slightly relieved to see Brequir. I then however remembered that he was sour, and had experience with Atagandes. It thus disturbed me that I did not know why he was present.

He said, "I was told that you would need me to carry something, Phesdorra."

I replied, "Only if you are willing to share the doom with me."

"Doom?"

I did what I could to push the crate to the bear. He was too large to enter the space with his head not even able to pass through the opening. I did allow Brequir to take the crate and set it on the ground, although then asked him if he recognized what was inside.

He tapped a symbol etched in the wood to say, "I assume it has something to do with God."

Without showing anything, I slid out the slat and pulled out the piece of leather with the symbol of Zetrullid. Brequir looked at me for a moment. He then asked the right question.

"What is a marking of Zetrullid doing in a crate for our God?"

I answered, "They have been here before, Brequir. The humans called to God, and he sent the Quartermasters to help them. Now they are helping us. This is the lesson the elder elf wanted me to learn."

"Sounds like a good lesson to me, and not a doom."

"Well, we need to make certain these items go to a community that will use them. Should these items ever become unused, or not appreciated, we need to do something about it. Will you accept that responsibility with me?"

"I would be wrong to say, 'No,' Phesdorra."

I moved up to kiss the bear on the nose as I said, "You would be doomed if you said, 'No,' Champion of Sour."

"Oh, I guess I understand. Still, yes, Phesdorra. I will help. In fact, I know a community that could use them."

"I have Chifar, Brequir, and he already has items like this. So you can bring them to who you feel needs them."

He signaled some elves to strap the crate to this back, then said, "I will want you to meet them, Phesdorra."

I replied, "Of course, Brequir, as we are in this together."

"How about Dechant and Vonall?"

"Them too, but you stuck your nose in first, Brequir."
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Twenty-Two   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2020, 6:41 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Twenty-Two

(Hallith)

Ayither stayed active during the day supplying help to the elves. Pesloe did as well, although I at times saw her with Cornispe who kept a watch on one side of the community while I stayed alert on the other. I will admit I moved during the day to simply look at Ayither. There was never a fear that she might not be all right, and I quickly returned to my place accepting it was important to provide security for the elves.

They set themselves up in a procession that I guessed was to simulate a royal train of attendants and soldiers. I saw the way the elves had their community, so recognized certain artistic touches as just an identifying feature. The way they lit up their vehicles however gave the adornment a strange opulence that caused everything to appear really grand. I continued to stay alert for threats as I felt the procession would bring trouble from those watching for activity after the earlier confrontation.

Ayither came upon me. While her form did not have any lift from her nature, the force of her did not disturb me. The affection she gave me even had me wishing she would stay with me. Ayither however moved off me, although I was glad that she started walking along with me.

"I feel the storm, Hallith. Through all of this, I felt the storm. Usually a day like this would have me seeking to do something to continue to keep the storm within me, but I feel it. Do you go through your days feeling water?"

Just to be playful, I asked, "Strong water or calm water?"

"Do you feel it, Hallith? Strong water? Are there times that the water is just churning and rushing through you?"

"I cannot say that I feel water, Ayither. There are times I know I must take action. I cannot say that I feel the power of water, but I just recognize that I am an agent for Zetrullid."

"I feel air rushing through me even in the calm moments, Hallith."

Really wanting this lady to understand me, I said, "Did you listen to me, Ayither? I told you that I fought for over four hundred years. Battle after battle after battle. When Cornispe came with his ring stating his desire to marry Pesloe, I agreed to go with him simply because I wanted to face my god. I wanted to know that he approved. I seldom felt him, and feared that he basically kept a promise without really caring about us. That was not the case. All the gods acknowledged us. Aslerrida gave me Kierle. When I finally faced Zetrullid, I found him to speak of his pride in us. That was all I needed. I returned to traveling and doing things like this without complaint. I guess you see me as strongly connected to water, but all I am is someone glad to serve his god."

"No, Hallith, I see someone who will keep me out here. Slidell would not want to be out here. I hear you speak of Kierle, but I do not hear you wishing your time with her would have continued. You also do not speak of actually staying with her."

"No. There were pauses, but I knew my life was not with her. She was a gift, a teacher, but not a life. You will be my life, Ayither. You are correct however, as if you are to have a life with me then you will need to stay out here."

"So, we build a home on my world?"

That was a good question, but I found an answer that I felt would satisfy her. "I do not need a home on my world. There is Pesloe. There is Mount Lorigard within which is Morlin. If we feel a need to spend time on my world, I suspect that I will be sent to work with a certain territory like I did for King Dellarkin during those periods I did stay with Kierle."

"Typhorsh says that you are correct even for my world. There are places for me. I will admit that I was thinking of Slidell, but Typhorsh reminds me that her days will one day pass. He however stresses that I should never consider myself alone."

"I would say that we are both going to have to come to terms with always being in the company of somebody."

My intention was to support a positive emotion, but Ayither�s response came rather softly, "Are you against that, Hallith?"

"Ayither! I have Pesloe and Cornispe. I have Terish and Straekin. I have Ferrigote and Dirchein. I have people, couples, who I treasure highly. To have a partner like them is something I want very much. Aslerrida sent me to your world telling me that if I knew what something was that I should know when it is not. Well, am I wrong with you?"

There was a concern that my tone of voice would have been taken as if I was angry, so was pleased when she smiled while giving the answer, "No."

"Then I considered the matter of us being a couple settled. Period. No more questioning. You better love me without fail, because I will love you."

"Typhorsh is telling me to apologize, but I don't believe that I need to."

"You're right. You don't. Tell Typhorsh he is wrong."

It caught me by surprise when she said, "You're wrong, Typhorsh." Knowing something of the relationship between Ayither and her god, I waited to hear what she would say in return. "I am now so eager to get to Morlin."

I had to reach out and pull the lady close to me. She did not put up any resistance. I expected the storm within the lady to have her pull away, but I found her head to stay against me.

In a pleasant fashion I heard her say, "I could sleep like this."

I chuckled, as I remembered all those centuries when the battles continued even as I needed rest. I spoke of one battle where I found myself grabbed by Chertish. Between his vulgar words of finding me sleep-walking in the middle of a major conflict, he indicated the direction I needed to go. I must have fallen right back asleep, as next I felt a shock as I slammed into the body of great mass of putrid flesh. While I fought to remember where I was, and where I had placed my weapon or if I had lost it, Pesloe gained the back of the creature and screamed out her victory. It seemed that my impacting the entity had disturbed it enough to give the lady of our party the opening she needed. I then chuckled speaking of both Ayither and me possibly having an experience like that with us both sleep-walking side-by-side in the middle of a great battle.

Another lady suddenly grabbed me and planted a kiss upon me before saying, "You keep telling those stories, Hallith. I can't remember any of them, but I know what you are saying is true."

I replied, "They just come out, Pesloe. I cannot tell you anything more than I did. I however feel all these memories in my head, but they are jumbled up. Sometimes I however catch a thread, and that is why you hear me say that I feel one day I will tug and all the memories will come loose."

"I pray to Zetrullid that I am there the day it happens. You stay in my life, Hallith. Ayither," Pesloe stretched herself to stay holding me even as she looked around me to speak to the other lady, "you make certain to keep visiting us. Hallith has been gone for too long from me."

Ayither replied, "I have friends as well, but I am not one to stay in one place. We will visit."

"What do the two of you think is next? I say we get the elves to wherever they are going, then go take on Atagandes."

"No, Pesloe," I replied. "There is a reason we came to the elves. There is also a more serious problem than Atagandes."

Hearing some grunts, we turned to see Vonall coming to us. She obviously had some discomfort in moving at a fast rate, but I could see in her eyes a determination to make it to us. I detected an expression of comfort in seeing us wait for her, although upon arriving she signaled for us to return to walking with the processing while we heard her speak.

"If we attack Atagandes now, we would surely kill him and those with him. While it could well end up being the result, there are things we need to learn whether the humans learn or not."

Pesloe asked, "Are the humans tracking us?"

"No. They never knew the elves were there. I am unclear about the facts, but I am given the impression that the humans did not want the things the elves had developed. That disturbs me, in that I find those of this age not appreciating the things of the humans. I feel that our age could go forward lacking something essential in our understanding of things. If there is one thing that bothers me about you who have come to us is that you also do not use the devices of humans."

I replied, "They don't work." I saw the others look to me, so tried to explain. "The physics of the various worlds changes. That should be obvious in the differences in us divine champions. Those who work magic can feel certain connections to various powers, and possibly make changes in how they work their abilities. Machines just stop working, and in some cases have parts simply collapse into powder. Those that move between worlds do not use machines, even guns, but those things that can be relied upon to work in any environment."

"Ah, so your reasoning to use those things I see with you is not due to you being divine champions, but due to your calling having you move between worlds."

"Yes. In fact, one of the first things I needed to do with Ayither was take her to a friend from whom we could get her weapons that would be effective against almost any opponent."

Ayither said, "Hallith took me to Ferrigote."

Pesloe replied, "He worships a fighting god, so has a large supply of weapons."

"He had me think of him as calm, but he could meet my storm with a grin of having fun. He then would instruct others in how to meet my attacks."

"He was always an interesting one to join us. I felt he would come to us simply as a way of relieving boredom and testing his skills. He never did talk much with us."

I said, "But he was a friend. When I showed up at Nehallum, he not only allowed us to see his private armory, but had plaques painted to identify certain rooms as ours."

Pesloe replied, "And they are there, Hallith. Don't think he changes them out depending on who shows up. Those rooms are ours. You should have seen the door with my and Cornispe's plaque on it."

Ayither said, "Maybe next time. I was placed in the hall for single ladies and Hallith in the one for single men. Jelnaya had Hallith come sing to me."

For a while the conversation broke down as Pesloe and Ayither chatted about events at Nehallum. Seeing them constantly moving to look at each other around me, I felt like stepping out of the way. Both ladies however kept a hold on me with neither complaining about my presence as they chatted.

I felt the hand of another lady, so turned to look at Vonall as she said, "Thank you. I was told that you were real people, but you seemed just too special. Hearing you talk, I can tell that you are real. You don't have a life like I feel is normal, but I feel laughed at because I am not normal. It helps me to know that I can still have a life, a real life."

Pesloe asked, "Just how much trouble do you have?"

"In the water, very little. I should not complain, and I try not to. But being out of the water is difficult. I however was told that those of water would come who could help me. You have, but I did not think you were real."

I replied, "Don't worry about it. Your life is real, and your duty to your God is real. Trust in that. We will leave, as our own duty and life will take us elsewhere. You however have your own duty and life, and you need to find comfort in living it. Maybe, should your path take you to other worlds, we can meet again and develop our friendship."

Ayither and Pesloe spoke their agreement of those words. We then did what we could to include Vonall in our conversation. Doing what we could to pass the time while moving with the elves, we freely exchanged words about our lives.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22)   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Four (17-22)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Pennings (Writer's Forum) :: The Scrawler's Workplace-
Jump to: