Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Empty33%To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Empty67%To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) EmptyTo Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Voting_bar2To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Empty 
TerishD (1441)
To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) EmptyTo Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Voting_bar2To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TerishD

To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Empty
PostSubject: To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16)   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2020, 6:35 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Eleven

(Phesdorra)

Considering the rite that was performed for my trip here, I expected more than a simple call for a portal.  There were some special prayers made at breakfast.  While the meals would open with words of praise to a deity named Zetrullid, this morning some extra words were made concerning protection and wisdom being provided to us who were to travel.  While those of the community participated, I noticed Ayither and a few others knelt as if saying their own prayers.  I wondered about leaving Atagandes with these people who were so openly religious without any fear of proving themselves to have a strong acceptance of the divine influence in their lives.  Considering all that was done at the meal, I expected more as those to travel with me mounted their steeds, but Hallith just called for a portal to bring me home and they started the horses moving.

I again rode with Hallith.  The others admitted that he was the most stable in personality, and his large frame would protect me.  Having ridden with him before, I trusted him, although had buried my face in a break of his armor not really wanting to see the horrors that existed between worlds.  It thus surprised me when after a short period Hallith asked me the way to Chifar.

I looked around to see that we were in a nice forest.  Birds were singing, and I saw a fox watching me.  I flew up recognizing where I was, then pointed in which direction to travel.  Before we arrived at his tree, Chifar was flying around me.  I told him that we needed to talk, which would include the humans with me, so he directed us through the forest to where there was a nice meadow.

After introducing Cornispe, I started with his wife and the other two stressing that they were all divine champions before saying, “It was suggested that I am slated to become a divine champion.”

While the horses moved into the clearing to graze, Chifar settled on a limb on the edge of the grassy area, then said, “In my mind you already are.  You have clearly been a product of Sweet.”

I had to ask, “Is that even possible?”

“You are a Champion of Sweet, Phesdorra.  I would thus say that you are already recognized by our God.  What you need to learn is how you are connected to our God, and what your responsibilities really are.”

Hallith said, “That would be my assumption as well.”

Finding support for the words, I could not help but work to defend my own belief.  “I – I don’t know enough about our God to believe that.  Also, He certainly does not speak with me the way their gods speak to them.”

Chifar replied, “I cannot speak against what you said, but… but Phesdorra, what about Atagandes?”

Cornispe answered, “He is secure back in my home.”

I felt a need to add, “And if he is smart, he will stay there.”

Chifar said, “Brequir was asking about him.”

“Who?”

“The bear out by Culferth Lake.”

I almost asked about him again, but then remembered, “He’s sour.”

“Well, yes, which I believe is the reason he was asking about Atagandes.”

“Yes, but – but, let me go see him.”  I turned to the others to say, “Can we go see Brequir?”

Cornispe replied, “This is your mission, Phesdorra.  We’re just here to support you.”

We turned seeing the horses suddenly rush off to a side of the meadow.  Ayither mentioned something of the wind.  It however was not the breeze that bothered me, but what I detected moving with the air.  I found those with me to suddenly draw their weapons even as I mentioned what I felt was wrong.

“Bitter.”  Confused by what came to my mind, I had to ask, “What is bitter?”

Suddenly the sight of things around me became obscured as a haze became present in the air around me.  While I was still attempting to make sense of what was happening, those with me were already reacting.  They were mentioning something about the presence of death, which I considered wrong for the smell and what associations I had with the prospect of the end of one’s life.  Ayither spoke of being confused by the chatter as well, but I suddenly felt another movement of air as Hallith asked his lady a question.

“Ayither, just how much storm are you?”

I definitely felt another wind as she replied, “How much storm you need?”

Cornispe answered, “Enough to have us find who is doing this.”

“I AM STORM!”

I found myself blown into a tree as a large wind erupted.  I caught hold of a branch, and as I worked to secure myself I saw Ayither rise in the air.  While the breeze was extreme in power, her hair flowed nicely around her so as not to spoil her vision as she turned her head.  Expecting her to quickly identify the source of our trouble, I instead found my place in the tree disrupted as a strong whiff of bitter came along with even more obscuring mist.

“HA!” Cornispe sounded.  “Fool might not be as noisy as you, Ayither, but you forced him to speak to conjure more of his power.  FOUND HIM!”

I was seeking to get my wings to resist the conflicting breezes as I heard a new voice declare, “Human, your time has passed.”

“Hate to tell you, but I’m just the hired help.  My time is my own.”

Heard the sound of a tree coming down, but it was Pesloe and not her husband that spoke.  “Sounds like old times, Hallith.”

The large man replied, “Hope there is no nature god.  This wind caught the broad side of my blade and blew it off the mark.”

Ayither commanded, “Hold your sword in front of you, Hallith!”

I guess he did, as after hearing a strong gust of wind he declared, “A caterpillar?  Cornispe, you did not say you were fighting a caterpillar.”

The other man replied, “Why would I need to tell you it was a caterpillar?”

“Pesloe, doesn’t your man usually tell you what he is fighting?”

She replied, “We do talk, Hallith.  Sometimes we do like to surprise each other.”

“Yes, I guess that will be the case between me and Ayither as well.”

Suddenly the haze in the air cleared.  I gained control of my flight and started moving to where I saw the men.  Pesloe got there first, but I found the form of Ayither float down through the air beside me.

We looked at a tight covering of web about two feet long with Cornispe asking, “What is he expecting?   Does he believe turning into a butterfly will help him fight us?”

Hallith looked to me to ask, “Phesdorra, did you gain your lovely wings after spending time in a cocoon?”

I answered, “No.  I had them from birth.”

Pesloe asked, “Is there someplace we can put him?”

Mystified, I had to ask, “Put him?”

“We can’t just leave him here, can we?  I mean, caterpillars do not instantly become butterflies.  Here on the ground is not a safe place for him.”

“You care?”

Cornispe replied, “Do not say things like that, Phesdorra.  We can certainly kill this one.  We however do seek to do the right thing.”

“What?  OF COURSE!”

I flew to the man.  He caught me and kissed me.  In performing the action his hand had disrupted my wings, but I quickly recovered even as I felt some shock in the action.  I saw him smiling however, and could not help but smile at the man before replying.

“I am just so confused.  Things are happening that I find quite strange.”

I was glad to hear the voice of Chifar.  “The age is awakening, Phesdorra.  There are things becoming apparent, but what is most important is our responses to them.”

“I’m Sweet.  I know I’m Sweet.  Whether a divine champion or not, I cannot say, but I am Sweet.  I cannot hurt this one.”

I heard the wings of the owl, so turned to see Chifar move to another tree before saying, “There is a hole here.  It does not look big enough, but maybe it can help provide a good place.”

Suddenly the cocoon dispersed in a cloud of bitter smelling haze as a voice asked, “What are you doing?”

Cornispe said, “He’s not a butterfly, but still a caterpillar.”

“For your information, I will never become a caterpillar, and I am bitter about that.”

“Oh.  Phesdorra, you’re Sweet why?”

I replied, “I just believe I am just a sweet person.”

“So, this one is just a bitter person.  I believe Mr. Caterpillar, that you were bitter before you found yourself unable to become a butterfly.”

The one before me was a large caterpillar.  While the cocoon had been about two feet long, he now seemed longer as he lifted his front section up.  I flew down before the caterpillar hoping to get some information.

“I am Phesdorra, Champion of Sweet.  Who are you?”

“Dechant, Champion of Bitter.  I was coming to declare myself and establish myself as a leader of this new age.”

Pesloe said, “He might be bitter, but he sounds like the sour Atagandes.”

“Yes, I had been invited by Atagandes.  He said we needed to establish ourselves before ones such as you,” Dechant had a number of his front appendages point at me, “established yourself.  I guess I’m too late.”

I had to say, “I might be Sweet, but I am finding my true pride in not being evil.  Why do you need to be evil, Dechant?”

“Evil?  I… I… I’m sorry for attacking you.  Do you know about Atagandes?”

“We are hoping he is staying safe.  He however is not apologizing for what he has done.”

Hallith said, “He is actually bragging about it.”

I felt things would work themselves out, so thought to let Dechant in on our plans.  “We were going to who Chifar said was another Champion of Sour.”

The caterpillar asked, “Is he human?”

The owl answered, “No, but a bear.”

“Bear is good.  Okay, can I come?”

I replied, “Just don’t be evil.”

“No, but I really do not know about Bitter.”

“I’m not too certain I know about Sweet either.  But I am trying to be good, as I know something about that.”

“Yes.  I want to again say that I’m sorry about attacking.”

Cornispe replied, “Apology accepted.  It was a good opening maneuver, but I don’t believe surrounding yourself in a cocoon was too wise.”

“All that power was contained in the cocoon, so if you attacked it you would have been severely harmed.”

Ayither bragged, “Maybe if I was not present.  Your wind would not overcome my storm.”

“For humans, you are very capable hired help.  May I have your names?”

Last edited by TerishD on January 27th 2020, 6:32 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Twelve   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2020, 6:37 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Twelve

(Hallith)

Dechant did not move fast at all. While he wanted to travel with us, I looked at my companions knowing that none of us were known for moving slowly. I however expected Dechant to complain when Ayither had a wind lift him and put him on the back of her horse, but he instead asked something else.

“Your god is one of air?”

Ayither replied, “Yes. Typhorsh, god of strong air.”

“How many gods do you have?”

“Many. Seven are considered important in our lives, but we know of others.”

“Gee.” I saw some of his hands or feet, not certain, point to the others of us as he asked, “All of you from the same world.”

“No. They are from a different world. I have been to others.”

Cornispe said, “I’m from a different world, but I love my life and never was committed to the gods of my world. I just converted to the religion of my wife and now consider her world my own.”

Dechant asked, “How many gods on your world?”

“Six.”

“I believe we only have one.”

Phesdorra said, “We do have only one.”

“Are you certain?”

Chifar said, “I am certain. I consider myself a preserver of the ways of our God.”

“A preserver? Well, good. Is it you or Phesdorra responsible for all these humans from other worlds?”

The pixie answered, “We’re not certain. I felt it was Atagandes who was responsible for sending me into the mind of Hallith, but Atagandes said that he intended me to enter the mind of Hupragordes. At present I can only blame our God for sending me to Hallith.”

Dechant asked, “So they did not invite themselves? You went to them?”

“Yes. I found myself in Hallith’s mind, and he gave me the strength to overcome Atagandes. I then went to Chifar, and found myself physically sent to Hallith.”

“Okay. Let’s go see what this sour bear has to say.”

I chuckled, but found Cornispe also making such sounds with him willing to explain them. “Sounds like something I would say.”

None of the ladies said anything. I had to say that Pesloe should have known her husband, and seeing a smile on the face of Ayither had me feel that she agreed. As for Phesdorra, I believe she was simply wise in not saying anything.

We followed the owl. Chifar did not fly fast, but it took a little more than a walk to have our mounts keep up with him. I felt that he gained height in order to relax as his body soared on thermals. Suddenly seeing him dive, then hearing a roar, I knew that he had acted to identify our objective while keeping himself from harm.

Phesdorra left her place in front of me while saying, “Let me see if I can speak with him.”

Her butterfly wings did not allow her to fly as fast as Chifar. I however felt that she could not be taken as any serious threat. I however worried about Dechant when he had Ayither set him on the ground. While he probably would not be taken as a threat, I personally did not think the sight of him would be taken as positively as the pixie. As he slowly advanced I found myself wondering if it would be better for him to metamorphosis into a butterfly.

Over the distance I heard the gruff voice of what I assumed to be a bear say, “Pixie, I actually do not want to speak with you. Go away and let me see if this owl has anything to say.”

Phesdorra replied, “I consider Chifar a friend, so will stay to hear what you and he has to say.”

“OWL! Is your name Chifar?”

I assumed the owl settled in the limb of tree before I heard him answer, “Indeed, it is. We have met before, or at least been in each other’s company. I am assuming that you are Brequir, Champion of Sour.”

“Champion of being hungry if you ask me. There aren’t enough things to eat. Used to kill and eat, but everything now talks to me. How do you manage?”

“I am making do with more of a diet of insects, but I recently have found myself troubled by even that.”

“And why is that.”

“Ah, here he comes. Brequir, let me introduce you to Dechant, a Champion of Bitter.”

I barely heard the voice of the caterpillar say, “Hello. Glad to meet you, Brequir.”

Ayither lifted herself from her mount then advanced. I dismounted to follow. While I could not fly, I hoped the bear did not sense an attitude to interrupt, but only a desire to hear all that was said. I noticed the noise of the others moving up with us, and found some satisfaction that nothing of our actions was indicated by those who were speaking.

Brequir asked, “I have not heard any insects speak. Am I wrong, Dechant?”

The voice of the caterpillar replied, “I cannot say that I have heard all the animals speaking. As for insects, I really cannot say that I speak with them. I remember a voice speaking to me. It said that I was the bitter pill that others would have to swallow, although I never felt it meant that anyone would eat me. What I felt was that no one would like what I told them.”

“Then, what have you to say?”

“It’s a new age. Are you going to stay the same, bear?”

“So, your bitter words are that we bears are going to have to become farmers, like the humans?”

Phesdorra said, “Decisions need to be made. Are you to make the decisions, Dechant?”

The caterpillar replied, “You brought what we needed, Phesdorra. We however are missing one, maybe two.”

The bear asked, “What are we missing?”

“Salt. We then must go somewhere. That is what troubled me, as I am not the best, and definitely not the fastest, at travel. Phesdorra however found herself led to gain contact with some special humans. She also had access to a preserver.”

“Preserver? You mean the owl?”

Chifar replied, “My home was used to store holy items of our God. I would not mind being thought of as a priest.”

“Are we to worship as the humans?”

“God is God. It might be a new age, but God is God.”

“Are you saying that the humans worshipped as the elves?”

Dechant replied, “Ah, Brequir, that is the bitter pill. We must go to the elves. Should any have wisdom to guide us, it will be those who know things from the beginning and who have already experienced one age arising.”

Phesdorra said, “Yes, and the humans can aid there as well. As being champions of their gods, they can add to the experience possibly helping us with advice and not just wisdom.”

The bear said, “Let me meet these humans.”

The four of us moved forward. None of tried to admit we had not been listening. None of us attempted to hide our weapons. We simply moved forward.

The bear was not as large as his voice had me believe. Considering that the other champions of this world had been small, seeing Brequir as a regular black bear did not surprise me. Seeing the regular figures the God of this world had chosen, I found myself believing that He was a very sensible entity. I waited for the bear to look us over, and believed the silence from my other companions meant they also would not fear his conclusion.

Brequir said, “Two men and two women. Couples?”

Pesloe replied, “My name is Pesloe, and Cornispe is mine. Hallith and Ayither are claiming each other.”

“Do you all worship the same deity?”

“Hallith and I are Champions of Zetrullid, a water god. Ayither is a Champion of Typhorsh, god of strong wind.”

Ayither calmly declared, “I am storm.”

Cornispe said, “Don’t ask about me. Just accept that Zetrullid accepted me marrying Pesloe. If that makes you not respect Zetrullid, I fully understand.”

Seeing the bear go to his knees and start praying did not surprise me. The rest of us would also take moments to speak to our deities. It did trouble me to see the bear begin crying. Seeing him then turn to walk away did give me concern, although I was grateful for Phesdorra being the one to challenge him.

“Brequir, we need to come to some resolution.”

The bear looked back to say, “Follow me. My home is large enough. For your information, thank you. Oh, maybe not. Phesdorra, where is Atagandes?”

Pesloe answered, “He was left secured back at my home. My people will probably release him, but I do not believe that he will be able to return.”

“Atagandes had me really messed up. God told me that he would bring people I could trust. Thank you for coming.”

“We’ll let you listen to us before we hold you to your words.”

“Pesloe, right?” She nodded, then each of us nodded as Brequir named us. “Already I can say that you are a lot different than Atagandes. Come on.”

Dechant asked, “Brequir, did God tell you about us?”

“I don’t have to trust you. You and me, and the pixie, have to live here. We can deal with each other in various ways on various topics as time goes by. We need to start though. We need to establish ourselves. That is where those humans are needed. As animals, we haven’t really dealt with the humans, and they have no experience in dealing with us. Atagandes, well, he was on a path I did not want to walk, but worried that I needed to. God said that He would remove Atagandes and bring me humans I could trust. What is your opinion about these humans?”

“For humans, they are all right.”

“Anything against us talking with them?”

“Uh, no.”

“Then let’s go talk.”
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Thirteen   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2020, 6:49 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Thirteen

(Phesdorra)

Brequir had a really nice den. The humans laughed hearing him put the blame on the elegance on Atagandes. I did see the humor, but it also troubled me to hear that the man had sought to dominate others than just me. With me there was a feeling of it being sexual, even though Atagandes and I had serious size differences I still felt he wanted to add me to a harem. The words of Brequir however made me realize that Atagandes was simply someone that wanted power over others. It seemed the man had tried hard to win over the bear by arguing philosophies, but like me the self-proclaimed Champion of Sour went too far and actually lost the confidence of a real possessor of the quality. Brequir mentioned that it was hard on him to listen to Atagandes and what he felt God was saying with me feeling proud of the bear in hearing him say that the words of the deity had been the ones to be proven true.

He did have some good things to eat. I appreciated that he was an omnivore even as he spoke with Chifar about some of the things they would usually eat. As a menu was being decided we however turned as the door opened with the voice of a lady saying that she would cook.

Her green skin was scaly. While the face did appear smooth, I felt it was an application of cosmetics that filled in the indications of breaks in her complexion. Very yellow hair came from her head, but I saw fluttering of yellow on her arms that said she had other growths on her body. She did appear to have the features of a human lady within a lovely blue-green dress, but I felt that beneath the gown she was something not human at all.

As she set a number of large flounders on the counter in the kitchen, she said, “I was told you would appreciate some fish.”

Brequir replied, “I most certainly would, but I found them speaking to me.”

“These didn’t talk. I promise. I am told that there will be a time where we can tell. The line however will never be clear. If we who talk do not bring up our children properly, they will revert to simply being animals. In hunting animals, we however might find those who are trying to speak. We need to stay alert and concerned.”

“Who are you?”

“Oh, sorry. I’m Vonall, Champion of Salt.”

It was Pesloe that asked, “What are you? You don’t look right.”

“I’m not right. My father was a merman, and my mother was a sahaugin. The fact that I survived is a miracle, but God said that he had a purpose for me.”

It was Dechant who said, “We are not anywhere near the ocean.”

“Getting here was not the problem I expected, but waiting for the right moment was difficult. If it had been up to me, I would have been here a few days ago, but God said it would not have been right. Glad to see all of you. If you don’t mind, I could use some introductions.”

Vonall continued to work at preparing the fish as we all introduced ourselves. She gave no indication of being surprised to have humans present, or in hearing them mention being from another world. Vonall did repeat our names to assure that he heard them properly, but otherwise continued her work at fixing us something to eat.

Looking over what she was preparing as if worried about what he would be served, Brequir asked, “Just how much has God told you?”

Vonall replied, “It does not matter how much He told me, but how much you are going to seek to speak with Him. I would not have survived without Him. The relationship I have with God is thus rather dependent. I am told that I would find others that would seek a more personal relationship with Him, although I have the feeling that the answer dealt with a matter of time and not exactly you.”

“Okay, so how much has God told you to tell us?”

“Only what you already know. We are going to the elves.”

“And where are we going to find elves?”

I believe Brequir was going to continue to interrogate Vonall, but Dechant interrupted him to say, “Well, I believe I have heard enough to say that she has gotten some accurate information from somewhere. Uh, yeah, where are we going to find elves?”

I replied, “I know where there are some elves, but I never considered them sources of wisdom.”

Brequir and Dechant had me speak of what I knew of the ancient race. They grumbled about the distance in hearing me speak of the place I knew some to be, then challenged me on the elves actually being there. I assured them they were present, although also agreed that the ancient race did not bring attention to themselves.

Vonall said, “We can leave in the morning.”

While not yet night outside, I had to admit, “It would be late when we arrived, so we might as well rest for the day.”

“And get to know each other. By the way, is there a reasonable body of water nearby?”

Brequir mentioned the river where he usually went to seek fish. Both Pesloe and Hallith spoke of a little depression not too far from the house that they said was filled with water from a spring. Mentioning how the blessing of water on their world could be said to be from other gods, the two sought to get us to mention how our associations could be presented along with possibilities for duplicating results or canceling the work of others. I have to say that all four of us were actually interested in the conversation, although quickly had to admit that we knew so little of our abilities that we could only speculate at the present. Brequir kept mentioning the smell of the fish, and we broke from the conversation preparing to eat.

Cornispe had been outside chopping wood. I believe Ayither left the den simply because she wanted some fresh air like I did. Pesloe and Hallith surely went out to be with their mates. Ayither drew her weapon as if expecting to spar, but I saw her man pulled toward Cornispe by Pesloe.

She said, “You are not the man you were, Hallith. You were actually in there wanting to speak on things and instruct those new champions. I saw you advance on the altar of Zetrullid expecting him to reply. Are you happy with yourself?”

He replied, “In a way, I actually feel like an immortal, Pesloe. I feel like I am advancing, like the years are not being wasted. I can go back to Anerth with it still feeling like old times. The only difference now is that I feel like an elder with the new Quartermasters. I go there, do what I can, then leave feeling that I helped the new group and not like I have returned to a life I should be living. Yes, Pesloe, I am happy with what I am doing.”

“And Ayither?”

“I’m not changing, Pesloe. She likes her place as well. Yes, things will change, but I feel I am with someone who will not be tugging to get me to be something else, and someone who will be satisfied with me keeping things as they are.”

I saw Pesloe look to Ayither, but not hearing anything said did not seem to please Pesloe. “Things will change, Hallith.”

“No. We came back Pesloe to the same world we left. Four hundred years we were out there fighting battle after battle after battle. We came back to peace. Zetrullid had not changed. Nothing about any of the gods had changed. Yes, people had died and some kingdoms had fallen and others established, but it was the same. I am over four hundred years old, Pesloe, and I am able to relate to the ladies just as well as any other man. I can accept that. I am glad to serve Zetrullid. It is strange, but Anerth is out there feeling that he would be doing what he is doing in this life or the next. I however do not feel that I will have anything to offer in the next life. I am helping people in this one, and there will not be anyone needing help in the next. I am happy here.”

Cornispe said, “He has you there, Pesloe.”

She replied, “Which part?”

“Oh, why not that final part? You know, the part about being happy?”

Pesloe smiled as she said looking to the large man, “I am happy with him, Hallith. He settled in that community on our world, and did well as a husband and a father to the children I gave him. You make Ayither happy with you.”

Hallith raised his voice in a manner that indicated he intended for Ayither to hear as he replied, “No, Pesloe, her being happy is her problem. Not that I do not intend to be a good husband and father, but she better be accepting of her life just as you are.”

Ayither said, “Typhorsh tells me the same.”

Pesloe raised her voice to ask, “And will you?”

“If either Hallith or Typhorsh, and even Zetrullid thought different, I would not be here. I am here amazed to be here. I am accepting Hallith hoping to stay amazed. I expect to wake each morning realizing the storm is still with me and going to bed each night assuring the storm will continue.”

“Sounds like you are going to have some fun nights, Hallith.”

Cornispe said, “All right, Pesloe, we have raised some storms ourselves. We can give Ayither advice if she thinks things are getting calm.”

I guessed that they recognized me listening, as I saw Pesloe look to me to ask, “What about you, Phesdorra?”

It took me some moments to come up with a reply. “I really have not thought about anything you are speaking about. I don’t know my relationship with my God. I don’t know that much about being Sweet. As for gaining a husband, that really is not the way with my kind. I did have a mother and father, but all I received from them was some nourishment and encouragement before I fully felt the instincts from where I was to serve. The life you are speaking of and the relationships are something very alien to me, but at the same time I feel that I am to experience all of it.”

I heard Dechant say, “Yes, but I don’t know if I like it. I mean, that was how the humans lived their lives. Do we want that?”

Hallith replied, “If that is the way of your God then you should. You are speaking of going to the elves. What you could find is that is the life they had. The ages might have changed, but your God surely has not.”

“What about that, Phesdorra?”

I did not feel like I should have been put on the spot, but I did try to answer. “I feel that things are going to have to change more than they have. I already mentioned how the way of humans just are not my own. I feel the same is true for you, Brequir, and even Vonall.”

The bear roared from the entrance to his den that it was time to eat, but I was glad to hear Dechant say, “I guess that is why we needed champions from another world. This one would become stale and repetitious otherwise. Maybe our God wants a change as well.”
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Fourteen   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2020, 6:36 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Fourteen

(Hallith)

I had taken a position outside the den. The intention was to keep watch. Pesloe and Cornispe were on the other side of the entrance somewhere they could claim some privacy. We both spoke of not really feeling a need to keep a constant vigil, but just preferring a place outside to relax. It did not surprise me to find Ayither to take a position next to me.

She asked, “We keep doing this? I mean you came to my world for a purpose like this. We then helped Terish do something like this.”

I replied, “I keep telling you that there will be slow periods, Ayither. There will also be times of family. Still, yes, this is my life. I have been doing this for hundreds of years.”

“There is a fun in this. You are meeting people. You are not simply coming in to do a job. That is what I did, what Slidell did, and it does not surprise me that all the divine champions before me did not seek to continue that life. I can see a good future in this life. That means, Hallith, you are going to have to accept me as a part of this. Every night, every day, will be with me. These moments will continue to be shared.”

There was no way I could prevent myself from smiling as I asked, “Is your storm all right with that?”

“Yes, Hallith, and your water?”

No, I was not in the mood to have the conversation go in that direction. “Make your decision, Ayither. I am what I am. What are you going to be?”

“I am a storm, Hallith.”

She then came close to lean against me. I put an arm around her, and found her to go asleep. Surprised to have this wonderful lady comfortable against me, I decided that I had no choice but to settle in my place so as not to disturb her.

A voice I knew as that of her god said, “She told you that she was married to you, Hallith. Enjoy your life with her.”

“It is too soon for me.”

“Probably for her as well, but I have made my decision. Still, Hallith, whatever you see in her, do not doubt that the storm will ever rage.”

I did not speak of her relaxed presence, but only of what I saw of the lady. “If it is what I have seen, it will be a blessing in my life.”

“She has been a blessing in mine, Hallith. What I hope you see is her commitment. Through all her moments, she was mine. What you are being blessed with is the honor of sharing those moments. Share yourself with her, Hallith, and all should be well.”

“You have gained Zetrullid’s permission?”

“Yes, Hallith, and I agree with you. I like him.”

That was enough for me. I did take moments of just being thrilled to have this lady against me. I then found myself to relax and drift off wondering if this life would ever become stale for me.

It was something refreshing to wake up to Ayither moving her hands upon my body. I kissed her wondering just how far she would take our presence together. If we were married, she could certainly allow herself to experience whatever she desired. Ayither however looked up as a number of voices told us good morning, then slapped my body as if to get me moving.

“You are right, Hallith, we should wait.”

I replied, “I wonder if the animals are now seeking privacy for certain acts.”

“Well, I cannot say that I will concern myself with animals watching, but when they speak it is rather unsettling.” I saw her pause, then she said, “Hallith, Typhorsh told me to let you know that I was willing.”

“And I was going to let you. Still, it is proper for us to wait. I am not going to say my god and his religion is calm, but there are little details most would desire someone of my status to go through. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy learning more things about you.”

She kissed me, then as a hand moved upon my chest she asked, “You were going to let me?”

I heard her tones of disbelief, but I calmly replied, “I have been given a storm. I will let that storm rage, Ayither. Now, let’s go freshen up, although I could use a bath.”

I went on to the river in order to allow Ayither and anyone else access to the small pool. I shed my clothes, then dove in unconcerned with who might be watching. I had been traveling since leaving my homeland centuries before, and would not start now worrying about where I was handling certain necessities. Somebody might see something, but it would be nothing more than a glimpse as I went about my business.

Returning to the den, I found Pesloe to stop me while still outside by bringing me a plate of food then asking, “Anything else you need to do?”

I replied, “In my opinion I need to stay looking my best. What more would you recommend that I do, Pesloe?”

“Does that lady of yours know anything about looking her best? I was trained as a princess, so knew things of how to comport myself. I did use those skills during periods in a town, and have worked to improve how I looked and acted since becoming married.”

I only smiled at that question. Memories of Ayither’s behavior around her friend who was a champion of calm let me know that the lady now a part of my life did have a variety of appearances. Hearing voices, I turned to look up and see her come floating down from what I considered a place she considered private. While I had gone to the river, she had gone up into the air. The thought of bathing in a cloud awed me, although the sight of Ayither had me appreciate whatever method she had used to refresh herself. While she was extremely lovely, the very pale green dress with blue lace and ribbons made her wonderfully beautiful. While I could not help but smile as she floated down next to me, I had to ask a question as she took a seat next to me on the fallen log.

“Did Slidell ever see you in that dress?”

She pecked me on a cheek before answering, “No. She would not have liked it, and I would not have cared if she had.”

“So, why did you have it made?”

“Why, Hallith, so my god could see me in it. It was made for one of his holy days. As you said, there are certain desired behaviors of one of my status.”

“He must have felt exceptionally blessed that day.”

She took the plate of food from Pesloe, then ate until she moved away. While I would not consider anything private from the one that had long ago been my princess, I accepted that there would be things only shared with another lady. Feeling that we were again in a private situation, Ayither set her utensil down on her plate and softly spoke to me.

“I was bored that day I first wore this dress, so I packed it way down. It was a service unto my god, so I considered the ceremony important. Even with the rites being to my storm god of air, I did not feel the energy. I felt the storm beginning to leave me, so I never wanted to see this dress again. Typhorsh however told me to wear it today. Unlike then, I am not fearing my storm leave me.”

“No, but we might end up being bored. Still, we need to listen to what the elves can tell us.”

Ayither squeezed my butt. I looked at her, and she laughed. She then rushed off to our mounts. While I was glad to think that I would be supporting Ayither’s storm, I also did not know how that made me feel.

“Hey, Hallith,” Cornispe said coming to me, but having Ayither pass him he said, “I – oh, damn, your lady looks great. Okay, I understand.”

Not wanting Conispe to start puzzling me, I asked, “What do you understand?”

“Why Pesloe suddenly needed to change clothes.”

I kept my eyes on Ayither as I said, “I saw Pesloe in a multitude of dresses and wigs, Cornispe, but I still have to wonder if she can compete with that.”

“In my mind, she doesn’t have to. In your mind, she probably can’t. Still, it is more of a fashion thing than a competition. If Ayither feels a need to dress like that, Pesloe will do what she can to compliment it. For the record however, you are looking good as well.”

“I have been working for others since leaving the Quartermasters, and representing Zetrullid. Today sounded like a day of diplomacy, so I dressed for diplomacy.”

“Have a lot of clothes like that?”

It hurt, but I went ahead and confided, “Kierle would make them for me.”

“We have a tailor in my community, Hallith. Make certain he gets your measurements.”

“Yeah.”

I moved on to Ayither. Since she was preparing our mounts, I was not surprised to find Cornispe working with us. He did compliment Ayither on her appearance, but then simply stayed at the task of preparing his and Pesloe’s horses for travel.

Pesloe did show back up in a nice dress. What had me look at her was not how good she looked in it, although the sight of her did have my eyes stay on her. What passed through my mind were thoughts back to the painting. I however had to accept that this garment was not simply a covering to disguise herself in a society, but something she wore as a part of her life. The hair that fell on her shoulders was her hair, and not the tresses of a wig she had picked up somewhere. Pesloe’s body could be made out as the bodice held her form. While the skirt did flow about her lower body, I could make out the movement of her legs. I could not help but just stare as I saw the lady move to give some affection to her husband.

When she looked at me, I mumbled, “Cornispe said that you had a tailor in your community.”

Pesloe had a perplexed expression on her face, but then smiled as she realized what bothered me. “It fits. It actually took me some time to remember what it was like to go about as a girl. I was a princess, Hallith, but never a good princess.” I had to laugh, as I had been her bodyguard. “You look good as well, Hallith. Surprised that we can go about this way, and still be happy?”

“All those centuries, even when you were in a dress we were expecting trouble.”

“I usually had my armor on underneath.”

“I really was not happy then. I was glad to see that we were victorious over the evils, but I never really felt any joy in that life.”

Pesloe approached give me some sense of privacy as she softly asked, “Did Kierle give you any joy?”

I nodded as an answer, but said, “If not for Kierle, I probably would not be ready for Ayither.”

“Kierle was happy, Hallith. Do not doubt that. You’re a good man, and you put her in a good place. The fact that you went to her, even though I wished you would have come and visited, made her more than glad to be yours. You be happy with Ayither, and trust that she is happy with you.”

“She can travel with me, Pesloe. We will visit.”

“If not, I will be riding up to your place to ask why you haven’t been around. Now, mount up, Hallith. We got work to do.”

Instead of moving to my horse, I grabbed her arm to pull her close and whisper a question to her. “You going to be happy with Cornispe through eternity?”

“Eternity? Let’s talk four hundred years, Hallith. We both know four hundred years. Yes, I believe in four hundred years that I will be a lot happier than I was.”

I let go of her to turn to my horse while saying, “Yes, Pesloe, I agree with you. I will be a lot happier going through this four hundred years.”
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Fifteen   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2020, 6:37 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter FIfteen

(Phesdorra)

I wondered about my own powers while watching Pesloe and Ayither show off their own control over their associated elements. Ayither could fly, or manipulate objects, such as moving Dechant on and off her horse, all abilities coming from her authority over air. Pesloe did some things with water that displayed her own command over the world around us. I found myself wondering what special tricks I could do as a Champion of Sweet as I heard the ladies speak of things Hallith had done.

He calmly rode in the lead following my directions. He did exchange comments with the ladies, but I found him just as willing to speak to the rest of us. While I gained the impression of Hallith being a strong, confident leader, he did not assert his authority as did Atagandes or cause any strife among the various members of the group.

Brequir spoke with Dechant and Vonall about the sounds of the wildlife. Of our group the bear was the only one who walked. Dechant rode with Ayither with him often speaking of needing his many feet and hands to help him hold onto the saddle as she had her mount do some maneuver. Vonall rode with Pesloe and spoke at times appreciating a mist from the lady’s control over water. While I worked to direct Hallith, Brequir spoke with the other champions of this world about things of the land we passed through.

It did become apparent that not all the animals spoke. Some birds simply made their sounds as they flew past, while others replied to our greetings. I began to pay attention to the mice, snakes, and other animals that fled at our approach while others would watch us and return waves. My observation helped me understand a comment from Brequir about the animals.

“I guess hunger will force me to make certain decisions, but I still will be a lot more careful about what I hunt.”

Vonall said, “Instead of hunting, I have begun using nets. Capturing my prey gives them opportunities to speak before I kill them.”

“Hell, I guess we will need to start raising our own animals like the humans did. Probably farm as well.”

I replied, “We will have control over the world like the humans did, so need to provide some stability to how we treat the land.”

“But not become humans! I bet the humans did not become elves.”

Vonall replied, “I believe we are going to find out. Still, the humans probably did some things right. What they did not do was become animals. That however can be our fate, or at least the fate for most of our world. Should the animals go back to being animals, the rest of us will probably go back to how our life once was as well.”

Dechant said, “Probably eaten, as what I am or as a butterfly.”

“I would be dead as well.”

I had to ask, “What would one of my kind do?”

Brequir asked, “You mean you don’t know, Phesdorra?”

“No. I mean we are born into our lives. My kind has a duty to nature, and we live our lives to that duty. Somehow I was born to being a Champion of Sweet, even though I have no idea what that is.”

“I would then assume that you do know, as you can trust yourself.”

Hearing some support for those words, I had to reply, “For a Champion of Sour, you are not as harsh as Atagandes.”

“I came to think of him as acidic. I might be sour, but I don’t want to be deadly.”

Those words had Vonall and Dechant ask us about Atagandes. I felt it to be a good conversation, as I suspected he would return and the others needed to be prepared for him. It did help me to hear a consistent opinion of the man from Brequir and the alien champions. It was interesting to hear all the stories, and we spoke of Atagandes until I was signaling Hallith to stop so I could call to the elves.

Iffechalnor appeared as a pixie. Somehow I always knew he was not, but that was how he was seen. As the others with me spoke greetings to what they saw as a tiny man with butterfly wings, I greeted him knowing what Iffechalnor truly was.

“Good tidings and blessings. We have come seeking information on the passing of an age.”

“And why would you come here?”

I found myself wondering if Iffechalnor truly knew the statuses of those with me as I replied, “Because you should have records of it happening once before.”

“The elves left and the humans replaced them. What more do you need to know?”

“NO!” Brequir roared. “There was a difference. The humans were far different than the elves. What is happening is far different than the humans. Can you not offer some wisdom?”

As if the loud voice of the bear had not been noticed, the elf replied, “The humans did not seek advice from the elves, so why should you?”

Iffechalnor turned hearing a strange sound from the foliage behind him. There was a grand oak with stately pines on each side between which was moss covered vines above and thick scrub plants below. The greenery however seemed filled with creatures. I saw squirrels, birds, snakes, as well as pixies, sprites, and other nature-focused beings. While I knew what was before me was truly nothing as it appeared, I still could agree with the expression from Iffechalnor that what was happening was something strange.

I saw a dove fly out, but was not surprised to see it come to a stop hovering while saying, “Allow them to pass, Iffechalnor.”

The one that appeared as a male pixie replied, “Why, Narmesholl?”

“Because we know two of those before us, and we probably should come to know them all.”

“Well, we know Phesdorra.”

“No, Iffechalnor. Down below us is Hallith and Pesloe of the Quartermasters. Surely the other two are Quartermasters as well.”

Hallith replied, “No, but Anerth is still out there with three others. Pesloe is here with her husband, the one who challenged our constant battles in order to gain the lady of our group as his wife. Chertish realized that he was tired of life in general, and renounced his claim to immortality. He is spending his later years on our holy mountain assuring the quality of Zetrullid’s representation to the people. I am here with a lady that is accepting me, although a divine champion in her own right.”

The one appearing as a dove commanded, “Let them in, Iffechalnor.”

The male pixie instead flew down to face Hallith and say, “The Quartermasters? Because of what you did, the humans gained almost two hundred more years.”

The large man replied, “Glad to know that we accomplished something. You would be surprised how much we wonder about just how much of a lasting effect we managed to achieve.”

Pesloe said, “He’s right. Sometimes I feel that the only thing my centuries of fighting achieved was to gain the attention of a man to be my husband.”

Iffechalnor did not sound happy as he replied, “I guess we get to talk about that and other things. Welcome, all of you, to Maderion.”

As if great curtains, the foliage fell from the trees. Those who had been watching scampered away or flew down to suddenly gain forms as elves. They were not nearly as tall as the humans, but much more varied in appearance. From the colors of their hair, the shapes of their ears, and the physiques of their bodies there was no mistaking one with another. Behind the trees were houses like those of humans as well as huts of sticks, shelters of leaves, and all sorts of habitations that no human would claim.

I listened as a multitude greeted Hallith and Pesloe before asking about the ones that had joined with them. The attention of the elves then turned to the champions of sour, bitter, and salt. Many did speak a welcome to me, but I accepted that the multitude had given me their attention some time ago.

We were brought to a table laden with food, although I heard Brequir growl before saying, “This is fairy food.”

I replied, “Bless it, Brequir.”

“What?”

“The food here was made by God just like all other food. The fairies do have their own style of preparation that makes it special, but when blessed you will find it without any unpleasant taint.”

“I’m no priest.”

Hallith replied, “You’re a divine champion. While your service to your God is not the same as a priest, your connection to the deity should be just as strong. Ask for his blessing, and it should be granted.”

Chifar said, “I could bless it for you, Brequir, but we came here to learn.”

Everything grew quiet while the bear selected a melon obviously dusted with stuff. The way he sniffed it had me feel that he would simply start consuming it. He however paused to say a prayer blessing what he was about to eat, then sniffed it once more before eating. With the bear speaking of how wonderful the melon had tasted, everyone again started talking.

We had a wonderful day of everyone wanting speak to us. While I had some experience with this community, those that had yet to meet me sought me out. Those who knew me wanted my impression of certain things about the others. A number came to me asking about Atagandes. I enjoyed the conversations and food feeling glad that I had made the decision to come.

I noticed the lights being lit. While the table stayed loaded with food, I knew that the day was ending. Not that I thought the hospitality would be brought to an end, but I knew that the reason for the occasion would be put into motion. We had come to the elves with a purpose. They would speak of our ways not being their ways, and of their time being far in the past, but somewhere deep in their essence they understood their reason to continue to exist. We could have gone to humans, but we came to them, and with the lights being lit I knew the elves would accept their duty.

Seeing the elf come to me, I quickly finished the food on my plate. I just curtsied upon the approach. She simply nodded, then told me to follow. I quickly spoke a farewell to those around me, then fell behind the one that came for me.

In a manner that the elves somehow managed, everyone arrived at the same time. When it had just been me, I assumed my hosts had coordinated their movements. I however looked to my varied companions and understood that any of them could have presented some complication. Accepting that the elves had their own secrets, I moved with the others into the grand room where our meeting would occur.

After some preliminary greetings and statements, Werchimmell, an elder of the elves, said, “I feel that I must apologize to those of the Quartermasters. They are recognized as having defeated the ice tortoric, allowing the humans to continue with the end of their age passing in a calm manner. Many here spoke against what the Quartermasters did, as it prevented a clear end to the time of the humans. We can now clearly understand that it did happen, but as with any transition there are problems to beset those who seek to guide the world at large. We did not have champions in our age, and the humans did not in theirs. This age is different, possibly from the defeat of the ice tortoric or simply from how our God planned things to be. Still, champions of this age, it is required that you stay active. While I thank you for coming to us, I am sorry to deliver the news that you will bear the responsibility of properly leading the people.”

Dechant started speaking as if he had been recognized. “I do not see us: me, Brequir, Phesdorra, and Vonall, as great heroes as are: Hallith, Pesloe, Ayither, and Cornispe.”

“I do not see the threat coming as something like the ice tortoric. That would have been a dramatic end of the age with this age then being seen as what managed to crawl out of the wastes. Instead the humans simply began to fail, and those who were to replace them began to succeed. Now, instead of being faced with minor matters of simple survival, you will need to overcome obstacles intended to establish and prove yourselves. Those sent to be with you will provide the opportunities for you to face your moments with some clarity, although the threats will be real enough all the same.”

“What –“ Brequir was about to say more, but had one arm of Pesloe go around his neck while the other hand petted him while she whispered in his ear. “I would recommend that you do not ask what, but that you ask you where.”

As if the bear had indeed asked that question, Werchimmell said, “Yes, well, that is another reason for our God to present you with divine champions. You see, where you need to go is into the divine realm. What you will face there I really cannot tell you.”

I saw the bear look to Pesloe, and she asked, “Do you love your God?”

Brequir answered, “Yes. I have considered it an honor to be His champion.”

“Then trust Him, Brequir.”

The expression on the bear was not of him liking what he heard, although I was glad that he did not resist what he had been told. “How do you expect us to get there? I hope you do not expect us to die.”

Werchimmell replied, “That might be your fate, but you will be brought to it and not just have it done to you. Our time has passed, but you have with you a devotee of your God who can work the miracle.”

Chifar said from a perch on top of a statue in a corner, “I sent Phesdorra to Hallith. It will be an honor to do more.”

Vonall asked, “When do we leave?”

“You should seek to purify yourselves. On the third morning, I will do what I can.”

Brequir said, “Purify? You elves would not know anything about that?”

Werchimmell answered, “As a matter of fact, we do.”
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Chapter Sixteen   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2020, 6:37 am

To Know Sweet and Sour
Chapter Sixteen

(Hallith)

I had listened as the elves spoke of the Quartermasters and their defeat of the ice tortoric. They had actually shown concern when I spoke of not being able to remember anything specific about the various battles I had fought over the centuries. They had then sat and listened as I spoke of my life as a Quartermaster with the attention of those who felt a connection with the wonders of my previous life.

There was the hope that hearing the specifics of one battle centuries before would jog loose all the memories in my head. I however sat going over the words of the creature we had fought, and the situations around the battle, not really feeling the story was a part of my own history. While I could not read the writing, I held onto a text holding the story hoping to take it to others who could give me a translation in a language I could read to hopefully begin a collection of stories that could start the process of piecing together the centuries I had lived.

Cornispe came to sit beside me before asking, “Waiting for the time you can finally start having fun with Ayither?”

“I will have eternity with her,” I blandly replied.

“Oh, come on, Hallith. I remember when you gained Kierle. You and her were banging pretty heavy right at the start. Don’t tell me you don’t plan on doing the same with Ayither.”

I had to smile, as I could not deny the memories. “Kierle was fire, Cornispe. Ayither is air – strong air, but I am certain she will not be the same.”

“No, but a woman all the same. You have to want her.”

“I have her, Cornispe, but my relationship with her will not be same as I had with Kierle. When we finally face Zetrullid, I expect Ayither to turn my life in a fabulous way. We will have our time with each other, but what we have will continue in a manner that I never felt was there with Kierle”

“Well, yes, but you are having to wait. Pesloe told me that I was going to have to wait.”

Thinking I knew the reason for Cornispe to come as he did, I said, “You are not having to wait, but merely suffer through some days of separation. Those come, and I will not allow you to equate those with the extended isolation Ayither and I are tolerating. You need to be purified. You’re not a divine champion, Cornispe. Pesloe, Ayither, and I are holy. We don’t need to be purified.”

“I have to keep myself from Pesloe because I am in need of purifying? I? Damn, I knew that. It honestly just has never come up before.”

“Yes, well I went through the divine realms in Ayither’s reality and in a reality where I worked with Terish Dozzrine. Had no problem either time. With each however there were regular troops who had to go through certain formalities.”

I looked seeing Ayither coming to me. She was a lovely lady. Considering what Cornispe had said, I did wonder about things with her. I however then thought about Kierle. She wanted to be possessed, and from the first sought to have me do things with her. While Ayither and I were more reserved in our intentions, I felt she would also be willing to come to me.

She took a seat next to me while asking, “What are you holding?”

I gave her the text while explaining, “Something for you to keep with you. I want it to remind you when we return to Slidell to get a copy of the story of the Quartermasters coming to your world.”

Ayither looked through it, then asked, “Can you read it?”

“No, but I know people who can. Terish is one. I am going to start collecting the stories hopefully to help me remember all those years.”

“Pesloe does not fight like you.”

Cornispe laughed, but I simply replied to the change of subject by providing some history. “No, as she was trained by the castle guard. I was trained more by experience than anything. After becoming her bodyguard, I gained some official training, but you already know that I know a variety of fighting styles.”

“She traded weapons with me. Will she do that with you?”

“No… but… but – we did!” I got up grabbing my sword even as I pointed around me. “It was grass, like cane, but flexible. I of course went in with my usual sweeping style, but her flail was the wrong weapon. The chain of her weapon kept getting caught on the plants. Seeing her surrounded, I tossed her my weapon. It was heavy for her, but she caught it probably more out of desperation than any strength and skill of her own. She struck, but barely made a scratch. She then grabbed the blade with one hand while the other moved up the hilt and worked my weapon in that manner.” I turned around holding my sword as I had tried to describe, then finished by saying, “That was how she got out.”

I was joyous at having the memory come clearly into my mind, and felt no embarrassment in what I did, but my thoughts ceased when Pesloe commanded, “Throw me your blade, Hallith.”

I obeyed. She lost her balance gaining the large weapon, and showed almost no ability to swing it. Pesloe grabbed the blade showing a lot of concern for the very sharp enchanted edge, the pushed off as I had described. The swing was a little better. I however saw her shaking her head as she handed my sword back to me.

“I don’t remember.”

Ayither said, “Hallith is going to collect the books of all your battles.”

Pesloe looked to me as she said, “The church to Zetrullid near my home is trying to do the same. The problem of course is knowing which worlds we went to.”

I replied, “We were present on Ayither’s world about a century ago. We visited another world where they knew of us. I will check with Terish to see if he knows of others. He traveled with us a number of times, so can speak of those occasions.” I then turned to the other man present to ask, “How about what you remember, Cornispe?”

He answered, “I have been pretty well worked over, Hallith. Between the church and children, I had my stories set down. Wait until you get children.”

“I had children.”

“No, Hallith,” Pesloe said. “What you will have with Ayither will be different than what you had with Kierle.”

I would not argue with that, especially since I felt my life with Ayither would be much different than my time with Kierle. “Well, what I can remember I will try and set down. I however am hoping that there will be a point where the memories will just start unraveling.”

“What I am scared of is learning that it was just battle, after battle, after battle – that there was no sense to it. No stories. Just fight after fight after fight. I mean, I don’t want to think bad of Anerth, but I am afraid that most of what we did all those centuries was pointless.”

We turned hearing an elf say, “No. I can assure you it was not. I actually doubted you were really Quartermasters, but listening to you I have to conclude different. Your time here actually altered the path of this world, and I would say the same will be true for other worlds. I am glad that you returned, and I hope you can do what is necessary to prepare our own champions for their lives.”

Cornispe asked, “Do you have any idea about what we might face? I mean – Hallith, what great threats did you face on Ayither’s world?”

I answered, “Human. On both Ayither’s world and the world I went with Terish we faced humans.”

Ayither confirmed what I said. “Very powerful changed humans, but they were human.”

The elf said, “I would hope here it would be something like the ice tortoric. There is a grand story in that, but I don’t know if the telling would be so wonderful to have it only human.”

We laughed at those words, then spoke with the elf a while longer. He gave me the impression of being a historian, but preferring the more fantastic tales. He spoke of some of the things the humans had accomplished adding in little details that had me believe he had traveled to gain verifying evidence. The elf provided a period of good conversation.

As he left, Pesloe told Cornispe to go perform certain prayers. He made some remarks of being glad when this period was over. Seeing him leave, Pesloe however confided a certain fact.

“I have never refused him, and I am glad to be able to say that.”

Ayither looked to me to say, “I will not refuse you either, Hallith.”

I replied, “Cornispe and I were speaking of Kierle, and I found myself wondering how often I might need to concede to you.”

Pesloe said, “If that is the case, Hallith, consider yourself blessed.” She then hugged me while saying, “I’m so glad to have you with me. Simply to have someone I can relate to is so nice. Seriously, Hallith, don’t be gone so long again.”

“I will be married to a storm, Pesloe. Still, I believe her to be a most friendly storm.”

Ayither said, “We will visit, Pesloe.”

We sat and spoke of future plans. I mentioned spending time with Terish and Ferrigote, and where they had their homes. I mentioned meeting Jelnaya, and having her speak of her duchy. Pesloe mentioned some others she had spent time with. While we were speaking of different worlds, we had enough knowledge of things to somehow imagine a future of constant movement among friends.

Our conversation was interrupted by Brequir coming up and settling before us. Having a bear in your presence alerted your senses. I did not consider him a threat, but still found myself wondering why he interrupted us.

“Go on,” he said, “I just want to listen. I hope one day to be with my other champions and just chat, but right now I am just lonely.”

Pesloe went to her knees before the bear and petted him while saying, “You don’t sound sour at all.”

“I feel sour. I don’t want to complain, but we are so different. Phesdorra is a pixie. Dechant is a caterpillar. Vonall is something from the ocean. We just have nothing in common.”

“And here you are with us.”

“Because I can tell you are friends. I want that. Still, I’m a bear. We are not the most friendly of creatures. Something is not right, and what I want is not right either. Still, well, I guess I am sour.” He then said, “Pesloe, you act as if you had petted bears before.”

“I spent over four hundred years battling horrendous evils that you do not even want to imagine, so do you think I am scared of a bear?” Before he could answer, she said, “My husband complains about me having tamed or killed most of the predators about our home.”

“Well, a little more along the right side of my back.”

I had seen Dechant crawling about, but thought he was heading elsewhere, so was surprised to have him turn in our direction while asking, “What are you talking about?”

Brequir replied, “Pesloe was telling me how after battling horrendous evil she was no longer scared of bears. To prove it, she is showing me that she knows how to ease our aches.”

“I would ask about caterpillars, but I believe I am of the poisonous kind anyway.”

Vonall appeared slightly suffering as she walked up, but took a seat on the ground near Dechant while saying, “I doubt your poison will bother me. I could see about easing any aches.”

“I don’t ache. Oh, here comes Phesdorra.”

The pixie flew down to ask the same question Dechant did, “What are you talking about?”

I felt a need to start a conversation, so asked, “What would you want to talk about?”

“I don’t want to be rude and interrupt anything.”

Dechant said, “Spit it out, Phesdorra. What do you want to talk about?”

“Well, ah, I was wondering if you were talking about where we might be going.”

“Well, we weren’t talking about that.”

I said, “Well, we could, if we had any ideas about that. When I was on Ayither’s world, we went through the divine realms because someone was attempting to kill gods. You cannot kill a god, so it was more of a case of getting to the stupid person through those who were stupid enough to support him. On the world with Terish we went through the divine realm to get someone who thought they could become a god. That was stupid as well. Since this world has only one supreme deity, I have no idea what we might be facing.”

Brequir asked, “Can you tell us those stories?”

“I guess we have time.”

Pesloe said, “I would like to hear them as well.”

Ayither patted my back while saying, “I will help you, Hallith.”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16)   To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Three (11-16)
Page 1 of 1