Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Empty33%the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Empty67%the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Emptythe last person to post here wins - Page 7 Voting_bar2the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Empty 
TerishD (1441)
the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Emptythe last person to post here wins - Page 7 Voting_bar2the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

the last person to post here wins

Go down 
+7
HYdraMStar
Leaka
Kellycakes
TerishD
Snacker
Urs
fleamailman
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
fleamailman

the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Topscribbler-1
fleamailman

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2009-01-17

the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2009, 2:22 pm

repost from a british "last post" thread

...oh yes it all floods back, Kendal Mint Cake is great when one is about to die of cold running across those open moors having escaped from Dartmoor prison isn't it, and where those sheep, like vultures, are just waiting for the kill to eat your garments..." mentioned the goblin who otherwise didn't really care for it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendal_Mint_Cake
Back to top Go down
Snacker

the last person to post here wins - Page 7 ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Caring10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2009, 2:26 pm

The prince thought to himself: "Oh come on let's try this too. It looks like fun and it helps me providing my writing in third person." It might not be correct from the beginning, but patience will bring success...thought the Prince while sitting on the couch waiting for the laundry to be done. This year is going to be great, the prince dreams with a smile on his face. It is about time that we get what we deserve, cause we've been through a lot of bullshit, says the prince in a whisper that gets louder while filling with anger. "While filling with anger", the prince repeats...Does that even make sense? Is that proper English? The prince just lets it stand in the middle of the room perhaps for someone else to answer. And while the prince enjoys writing here, he hears a sound and there it goes...the laundry is done!
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2009, 2:54 pm

the goblin welcomed the prince who, like the elf, would indeed find writing in third person, which is what novelists do anyway, both fun and challenging, "...it's an adventure, to talk in first person while being able to narrate ones post like a live novel, so much more vivid, with "time", "place", "weather", etc., all much like so many colors on one palate..." ventured the goblin knowing that it still wasn't the real goal in itself, no that goal remained "to win here by feeding the slot", which could be anything, no it should just be anything he felt, nothing was not a win here

Last edited by fleamailman on February 6th 2009, 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2009, 3:03 pm

reply to someone posting as a magician on a "last post" thread, elsewhere

"...because the slot will follow you now magician..." the goblin replied "...you see, it's not because you aren't on the internet that the post isn't there..." the goblin lifted his hand and splayed three fingers saying "...the magic isn't in the fingers, the fingers can only focus the spell...", the goblin held the three finger once more in front of him "...focus on "what you know", "how you feel" and "what you actually see", and now cast another spell then...", the slot had been watching, it too wondered what the magician could conjure up with practice, the magician was getting better
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2009, 3:06 pm

"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you." a quote which shocked the goblin because although it seemed exactly the point that goblin was getting at by posting like this, it actually came from the Gnostic gospels, so the goblin simply repeated "...when I look at the "last post" thread, it's a fun game with the others here but when I look at the slot itself I am alone and it isn't a game at all, it's a journey to self..."
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2009, 5:01 pm

The elf celebrates because suddenly he is the winner again. The elf seems to be in a better mood then this morning. But the elf is tired, has to do homework, and is about to fall asleep on the keyboard.
The elf is happy, but he wonders how long that happiness will last.
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2009, 7:15 pm

(the elf's happiness would grow with his posts, thought the goblin if only because it was always like this then, "...one wins against oneself here mostly...")

only the great wild ever seemed to remain unchanged then, but they say "never go back" and the few times that the goblin had ignored that advice, the ghost of what had been once seemed dashed upon the present, so the goblin just remembered someone said "...think of me it just around the corner then, and it will always be there but if you do around that corner it will be gone..."
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2009, 7:15 pm

"...you say you cannot win but no, anyone who posts here wins..." said the goblin "...it's only that life moves on so one has to keep winning against oneself...", the goblin's mind went back to the reading Mervyn Peake's trilogy Gormennghast, and seeing the author fighting Parkinson's disease through his lines, "...the end is the same for us all, but I am going to that end winning against myself, it's that simple..." said the goblin
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2009, 9:59 pm

The elf is staring at his computer asking why it is acting weird. The elf is an particular anxious mood, but still happy, it weirds the elf out. Also the elf doesn't know about himself any more all those mental crazy things going on in his head. The elf wonders if he is crazy.
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2009, 12:53 am

(interesting question that, here's my input then)

the goblin was mad and yet in his daily life he hid it well, saying "...most people are mad but mind you their lives are mad too so it all balances out under the reinforcement of habit..." and with that the goblin hoped that everyone would just adjust their madness accordingly seeing that the sanity they seek is probably a trick of the system to have them become more like everyone else, adding "...you would be right to laugh at it, but you have to learn to hide your laughter better, they're all mad but caring about it will make you mad with them, embrace your own values silently and slip under their radar..."

Last edited by fleamailman on February 7th 2009, 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2009, 12:55 am

the goblin knew that one can't be someone who one is not, "... OK that's true but at the same time one shouldn't be that cheap "dailylife" person either, it is like reaching out and seeing if one can realize ones Internet self which, admittedly is still me yes, but just not the Madame Bovary me of my "dailylife"..."
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2009, 7:01 am

repost from "what are you thinking" thread, elsewhere

the goblin was thinking of his ghosts, saying "...funny, when someone dies, and they're "dead and gone" yet when someone close dies, no matter how long ago that is, it still feels like they're "dead and here"..."
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2009, 7:05 am

repost from the poems thread, elsewhere

Problem with my screen

Had I the Heaven's own downloaded os
Encripted beyond the hacker's might
The true and trim that comes across
Like light in night and the half night
I would post that os on your site
But I, being thick, have only my screen
I have posted my screen on your site
Thread carefully because you thread on my screen

-fleamailman-
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2009, 7:08 am

from the goblin's dear all diary, 18th., April 1998

Dear all,
Hatter's hopes of a tidy tranquil coffee are tossed aside when Alice and the doormouse turn up to grab whatever's is going even if her doctor's report(attention; on entering the Swiss German medical zone please avoid jokes on pain of having to explain them) mentioned her being 7kilos overweight, regardless, she scours the table for the non-existant sugarcube, the dormouse on the other hand will scurry to the hare in the kitchen for the milkjug which he'll bring, minus contents of course save for white marks on his lips, to the unperturbed hatter who somehow knowingly has braved the snow on the balcony for an unopened carton, hare then bounces into the room with the coffeepot only to spring to her ever awaiting telephone, doormouse will sleep and Alice is always lost, somehow after a few resuscitating sips the hatter will close the door and remember himself "...ah, in my home it's always teatime..." thinks the hatter over his cup

As written.,
flea
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2009, 2:02 pm

("...alone again..." went the goblin continuing"...then it's up to me I suppose NYAHAHAHHA...")

"...oh no, never..." said the goblin, not wishing anyone a happy Valentine's day, "...no, I would wish someone a tragic, yet all too romantic, Valentine's day, in fact, one of those adventurous Valentine's days where all is still so uncertain and unfolding on the outside, while inside one is felling hectic and overpowered by ones chaotic emotions..." mentioned the goblin reminiscing again
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2009, 2:07 pm

from "any flashback moment" thread, elsewhere

the goblin thanked America for the writer's strike "...please continue the strike then as the films seem to be much better for it..."
Back to top Go down
Urs

the last person to post here wins - Page 7 ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2009, 8:33 am

Ouch
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2009, 10:30 am

("...no, not again..." said the goblin who had thought people had learned not to read his posts here, "...naughty humans, I will punish you for prying into this goblin's mutterings...")

Repost from elsewhere
the "what are you going to be doing for thanksgiving?" thread

the goblin, in an ever ecological attitude to the environment, will be giving out those remaining Halloween sweets for Thanksgiving, whereupon the remaining Turkey of Thanksgiving is served up at Christmas where the remaining Christmas Chocolates are given out at Easter whereupon those remaining Easter eggs are given out at Halloween where, as pointed out before, those remaining sweets bring us happily back to Thanksgiving again, "...well yes anything to really add flavor to people's lives I suppose..." mentioned the goblin
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2009, 10:36 am

another ghost, the goblin remembered the true story in newspaper about a super powerful motorcycle that had killed two of three brothers, of course the point of the story was what would the third brother do, "ride it" or "sell it", but for the goblin, at that time without children or those who depended on him, it was the wonderful image, of staking ones life in race with death, which haunted him "...besides, death, you can say "call" at any time so what do I stake then..." asked the goblin knowing death always replied "...up to you, how fast do you want to go..."
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2009, 10:38 am

"...one is always swimming in "dailylife", the only question is if one can keep ones head above water long enough to avoid being brainwashed into thinking "dailylife" is everything and drowning outright..." ventured the goblin adding "...here, one faces the slot, it doesn't need to be a "last post" thread then, but I know it's this journey to self that keeps one afloat..."
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2009, 7:26 am

“…this day returns not…” uttered the goblin seeing his happiness slipping away the moment he saw himself in terms of other people, true he was no longer young and the man in the mirror was hardly pleasing, true he didn’t have the house, swimming pool, etc., true that there were those far more educated and with more friends too, “…true all true…” the goblin sighed, ah but wasn’t growing old, in this way, the same boat for all of us then, the goblin asked himself, as if somehow "life" was telling the goblin to fight his own battles with his own values, the goblin then laughed, comforted by that that thought then, “…you see, at this moment I have this slot here where I can post anything I like, so perhaps with luck and reflection I can find that one really great something worth posting about…” the goblin continued “...anyway I just bet you I can drag the giant washbasin across this shower room and fling it with all my strength against the barred window(just like in the film)…” somehow knowing life would either stop him beforehand, or catch him up later as it always had, “… ah but at least I tried…” the goblin would repeat to himself aloud "...I tried, and I am still trying...", and one day folks, at the end of his life perhaps, the goblin would escape through those bars as in that film too, god he loved that film
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2009, 7:31 am

readying for his return to Geneva, the goblin had said goodbye to his mother again again thinking that the older one gets the more the word "goodbye" has weight to it, the room in the old house was quiet and barely unchanged since last time, it's silence reflected the absence of it's owner and although the goblin could easily play some music or watch television somehow it didn't seem right nor sincere to the moment
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2009, 7:32 am

he goblin had now understood that almost all computer problems find their origin seated between a keyboard and a chair so he turned his thoughts and eyes elsewhere in this cybercafe(a bistro with some computer screens against the far wall) where the goblin looks up and sees the muted television screen showing some obese girl being reduced to the size she wants, the same channel that show cars pimped to something fabulous, and rock stars who live in palaces "...get behind me television..." simply retorts the goblin as he moves himself to the other side of the table
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2009, 7:09 pm

the goblin had changed saying "...before I started this Muse's pact, I might have been someone who had wanted happiness but now I know that if I had been content I wouldn't have even seen, nor felt, nor understood half of what goes on around me...", outside in that hum of this late city's night that contrasted or complimented the methodical ticking clock on those white walls around him and with that countless majority who still wanted "to be happy", and yet the goblin's feeling at this point was awareness and depth, "...happiness is just one color on the palate of life, I need all the colors to create, I want to mix those colors together, the sadness and the tears on the one hand with the joy and laughter on the other to create something beautiful, but above all I don't want know the outcome, oh no, this author mustn't know how life's story ends, even if that ending is the same for us all that is..." said the goblin feeling the need of this "last post" thread once more, the clock ticked away his moments but every moment here was worth it to him he felt
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2009, 7:10 pm

evening and the goblin hits the bistro where seated in his normal place the long moments pass and others come and the place slowly fills to the sound of laughing voices over the music, a ritual of rising night the goblin absorbs and reflects, avoiding those that notice him for those who don't, the goblin reads the signs between couples and friends on the one hand and those who come alone on the other, "...what could be more interesting than people..." he asks himself
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the last person to post here wins
Page 7 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next