Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Was Wondering. Empty33%Was Wondering. Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Was Wondering. Empty67%Was Wondering. Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Was Wondering. Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Was Wondering. Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Was Wondering. Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Was Wondering. Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Was Wondering. Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Was Wondering. EmptyWas Wondering. Voting_bar2Was Wondering. Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Was Wondering.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Urs

Was Wondering. ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Was Wondering. Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Was Wondering. Empty
PostSubject: Was Wondering.   Was Wondering. Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2009, 12:58 am

Can anyone recommend a good high fantasy novel for me to read?

I tried the lies of Locke lamore, and that really did not work for me, I enjoyed the name of the wind, but I am now looking for another book to read and I have to admit I a bit gun shy after a few real... winners to put it mildly.

So anyone else read high fantasy that might have a book they could recommend?
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Swami

Was Wondering. ScribbleSuperr
Swami

Male
Number of posts : 147
Current Mood : Was Wondering. Th_hap10
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Was Wondering. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Was Wondering.   Was Wondering. Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2009, 5:49 am

Don't know what you mean by high fantasy but Clive Barker is a great fantasy writer, if you don't mind a bit of horror thrown in as well. Clive Barker is the writer who inspires me because his style and prose and originality is second to none.

I love fantasy but I don't like stories that centre around authority, i read fantasy to escape that kind of stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://unsaneculture.forumotion.net
TerishD

TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Was Wondering. Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Was Wondering. Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Was Wondering. Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2009, 9:00 am

You mean besides my own? HAH! I told you that I go to the bookstore to get the inspiration to write my own stuff, as I don't like what is being published.

Anyway, I am going to order some independents this week. I will post the reviews (give the guys some recognition - positive or negative). I used to do this a few years ago when I was publishing my books with PublishAmerica, but that is also how I found just why PublishAmerica got the reputation it did (it would publish crap). I am looking for a better publisher for my next book, and have somebody interested, so I am going to buy other writers from this publisher to check their quality. Maybe one will actually gain my interest.

Note that I have also found a problem with independents in that they lack commitment. What few good/decent books I did find, they were one-shots. The writer realized that his writings would not pay the bills, so dropped that aspect of his life. It is a shame that the system does not recognize potentially good writers while supporting word churners.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Urs

Urs

Was Wondering. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Was Wondering.   Was Wondering. Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2009, 11:57 am

I know what you mean Trish, but still, I enjoy a simple good book that I can go the book store and just enjoy.

Swami: High Fantasy means like Tolkin's work, elves, dwarfs, dragons, the whole Magic and Unicorn and show if you will.

It's what I like to read as the more I remove myself from this world the more I get to escape.

I might try a Sci-Fi, but not really my thing, I might just say screw it and buy any piers Anthony book and try to get lost into his strange way use of word play.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Was Wondering. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Was Wondering.   Was Wondering. Icon_minitimeJune 30th 2009, 11:18 am

TerishD wrote:
You mean besides my own? HAH! I told you that I go to the bookstore to get the inspiration to write my own stuff, as I don't like what is being published.

You know this has been rolling around my head for the last few days, so, give me a link your book. So I can check it out.
Back to top Go down
Swami

Was Wondering. ScribbleSuperr
Swami

Male
Number of posts : 147
Current Mood : Was Wondering. Th_hap10
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Was Wondering. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Was Wondering.   Was Wondering. Icon_minitimeJune 30th 2009, 12:11 pm

I'd be interested to have a look at that as well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://unsaneculture.forumotion.net
TerishD

TerishD

Male

Was Wondering. Empty
PostSubject: Book spam   Was Wondering. Icon_minitimeJune 30th 2009, 7:31 pm

Well, here --

Heroes of Watussin
This is my first book written in a cliff-hanger style. It is actually the one people like best. It should truthfully be out of print. (Note that I will sell you a hardcover for $30, and I will sign it.)

Loss of a Name
This is the second book, which is the first of a trilogy. It is a set of characters that I like best, except for my namesake (Terish Dozzrine). (Note that I will sell you a softcover for $20 including shipping, and I will sign it.)

Gaining of Larruth
This is the third book, which is the second of a trilogy (claim to have read the two books, and I will send you the files for the third). Not only is this book available, but I will sell you a softcover for $20 including shipping, and I will sign it.

You know, I have not checked these for a while. The name is Roby Ward, but I guess that I am not famous enough for them to get my name right (it is so difficult to spell). I generally use Amazon, but the other book sites should be able to pull them up the same. If you want to purchase from me, PM for my address. Note that the price above is for destinations in the USA. Outside the US, please include an extra $5 per book.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Was Wondering. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Was Wondering.   Was Wondering. Icon_minitimeJune 30th 2009, 10:06 pm

Well I went looking for Trish D, in truth as that was the only name I had to work with.

Let me ponder this a bit, do you take Pay Pal?

(Book buying is never a fast thing with me)
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

Was Wondering. Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Was Wondering. Icon_minitimeJune 30th 2009, 10:29 pm

No, I don't take PayPal. There was a time, but no one ever used it. Money Orders solve many problems. I do take checks, but I make certain that they clear before I mail anything.

I originally wanted to use Terish Dozzrine as my pen-name, but publishers really do not like them. They point out that most writers eventually get known by their real name (Mark Twain about the only exception to this rule), and the pen-name makes researching the author difficult. I thus ended up using Roby Ward (my real first name is Robert, but only government people use that with me -- and if you call me Bob, I don't like you).

Oh, thanks for asking.
Back to top Go down
PoeMars

Was Wondering. NewScribbler-1
PoeMars

Female
Number of posts : 13
Current Mood : Was Wondering. Readin10
Registration date : 2009-06-26

Was Wondering. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Was Wondering.   Was Wondering. Icon_minitimeJuly 1st 2009, 6:21 pm

So I'm not sure if it considered "high" fantasy, but I recently read A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin and it was very good. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://opinionatedpoe.livejournal.com/
Urs

Urs

Was Wondering. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Was Wondering.   Was Wondering. Icon_minitimeJuly 1st 2009, 11:38 pm

I have heard of that one, after Orc's I have been a bit leery.

I might look into it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Was Wondering. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Was Wondering.   Was Wondering. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Was Wondering.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: