Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
The Simple Things Empty33%The Simple Things Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
The Simple Things Empty67%The Simple Things Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
The Simple Things Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
The Simple Things Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
The Simple Things Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
The Simple Things Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
The Simple Things Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
The Simple Things EmptyThe Simple Things Voting_bar2The Simple Things Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

The Simple Things

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LineiLou

The Simple Things NewScribbler-1

Female
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-06-14

The Simple Things Empty
PostSubject: The Simple Things   The Simple Things Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2009, 12:24 pm

Hi this is the first (and only so far) thing I have had published. It is in an anthology Angel's Breath and it has been published by United Press.

The Simple Things

Why are we forced to begin our lives, injected with ambition?
When all we want is a person to lean on?

Why are we forced to plan and plot, our route of life?
When all we want is freedom from the strife?

Why do we assume and hope for, our plan to be a success,
When all we want to do is clean up the world’s mess?

Why do we fight to maintain, the “dignity” we find,
When all we want is to keep piece-of-mind?

Why do we not even notice, our own conquest?
When all we want is praise and a feeling of zest?

Why do we become accustomed, to the feeling of need?
When all we want is to shake off our feelings of greed?

Why do we feel the need, to enter our lives into a feud?
When all we want them to do is conclude?

And why do we sacrifice our lives, to what is left when life ends,
When all we want is heroes and friends?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/childwriter
Urs

The Simple Things ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : The Simple Things Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

The Simple Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Simple Things   The Simple Things Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2009, 1:17 pm

touching.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
HYdraMStar

The Simple Things Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : The Simple Things Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

The Simple Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Simple Things   The Simple Things Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2009, 5:36 pm

I can't say I can really relate to the message of the piece, but I can see why it got published.

Congrats!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Kellycakes

The Simple Things ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : The Simple Things Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

The Simple Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Simple Things   The Simple Things Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2009, 12:38 pm

I liked it. However I do have some things about it I do not like. The first verse is trying to force a possible rhyme that is never going to happen, and each verse after that, some of the rhymes come easy, and some fall short.

The message in the piece is great, its quite easy to capture the nations despair in words. Its' relate-able and reads well even with the force-ness of it. I enjoyed the repetitiveness of structure, I do that often too! And I love the title!

Great job, glad you're here and I can't wait to read more from you.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
deathbypen

The Simple Things Scribbler-1
deathbypen

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-11

The Simple Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Simple Things   The Simple Things Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2009, 10:21 am

LineiLou,

After reading your latest poem and this one, I'm capturing a trend. What draws you towards more political topics? Just curious.

I like how this poem points out the opposing viewpoints we have to balance. It's difficult, especially when those viewpoints are not our own.

The rhyming does feel a little forced, but in a way I think it works for the poem. I think if it was smooth, it would have a different feel. The questions don't have a neat little answer wrapped in a bow, so why should the reading be any easier?
Back to top Go down
LineiLou

Female

The Simple Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Simple Things   The Simple Things Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2009, 3:09 pm

Hooray! Someone got it at last, it has been over a year since I wrote this and you are the first person to see I made it sound awkward/rambling on purpose. A lot like my thoughts and sense of humour, such questions like these, if you give a long answer you are seen as surmonising and if you don't you are seen as stupid. I would like to be seen in neither catgory so have you noticed I have also not answered them. How would you go about it without stigma? I have studied a sociology degree and that got me fired up politically. I am very into human rights and equality. Minorities should not exist and right now I am beginning to work on a novel about an aspect of this. I'll send you a link to my blog if you're interested.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

The Simple Things Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : The Simple Things Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

The Simple Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Simple Things   The Simple Things Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2009, 4:46 pm

LineiLou wrote:
...Minorities should not exist ...

So we should all be the same? The same race. The same religion. The same in political views. The same in sexual orientation. The same in every possible way.

Hmmm, I'm not sure if that's the way you meant it, but if the day does ever come around where there are no more minority groups I hope I'm not around to see it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
deathbypen

The Simple Things Scribbler-1
deathbypen

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-11

The Simple Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Simple Things   The Simple Things Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2009, 8:23 pm

I can see why you tried to walk that line with the political slant of this poem. The very nature of politics makes it a challenge to state what simply "is" because the only tangible aspect of politics are the results. And I guess, who'd be impressed by that?

Random thought: Is it weird to think politics are as vague as say "love"?

I believe, LineiLou, you have your work cut out for you. I agree with HydraMStar in the apsect that a world without "minorities" wouldn't really be my cup of tea. Sometimes, we have to point out our differences to realize that we are the same, not in thought or experience, but in some great understanding that without the other to challenge one's sense of being, there would be no sense of being to embrace.
Back to top Go down
LineiLou

Female

The Simple Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Simple Things   The Simple Things Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2009, 7:01 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:
LineiLou wrote:
...Minorities should not exist ...

So we should all be the same? The same race. The same religion. The same in political views. The same in sexual orientation. The same in every possible way.

Hmmm, I'm not sure if that's the way you meant it, but if the day does ever come around where there are no more minority groups I hope I'm not around to see it.

I meant minorities should not be singled out in the ways they are and treated like crap. In some instances other people don't even know how much of a struggle life is for people. The opinion that everyone should be the same race, have the sexuality etc... is too idealogical. I am saying people shouldn't nit pick at the "faults" (and I use that term very loosely) of others when no is perfect and perfect has no true definition anyway
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Simple Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Simple Things   The Simple Things Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Simple Things
Page 1 of 1