Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
the goblin explained a bit Empty33%the goblin explained a bit Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
the goblin explained a bit Empty67%the goblin explained a bit Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
the goblin explained a bit Emptythe goblin explained a bit Voting_bar2the goblin explained a bit Empty 
TerishD (1441)
the goblin explained a bit Emptythe goblin explained a bit Voting_bar2the goblin explained a bit Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

the goblin explained a bit

Go down 
+2
TerishD
fleamailman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fleamailman

the goblin explained a bit Topscribbler-1
fleamailman

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2009-01-17

the goblin explained a bit Empty
PostSubject: the goblin explained a bit   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2009, 7:06 am

"...hi..." said the goblin breaking the ice, continuing "...bear with me and all will be revealed in my posts whereas, if you do not read my posts, what point is there in my introduction here, no I won't spoil it for you, if you want to know, the person behind this mask that is, you'll gleam it for sure humans in what I write...", at which point the goblin asked in return "...besides, who can prove who they say they are on the Internet, not me for one, and anyway, I'm not really sure at this point if the man in the mirror, his docile family life and all the other trappings should be here at all, not if it is an "Internet self" I am creating for myself...", the girl walked calmly down the rows of bistro tables, coffee in hand ready to refuel the goblin's brain further, outside the rain poured away the last of the city's grime in a torrent of repetition, and all was hard fact "dailylife", "...and you would have me be this then, but my imagination is boundless mortals..." called the goblin across the ether as he slipped away to the awaiting Internet, this then was him
Back to top Go down
TerishD

the goblin explained a bit ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : the goblin explained a bit Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2009, 7:54 am

Well, Hi!

My personality is strong enough that even through this translucent medium I really cannot hide who I am. Hang around, and we will probably figure you out as well. Glad that you joined.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : the goblin explained a bit Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: the goblin explained a bit   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2009, 10:31 am

Greetings, Welcome and Salutations.

Umm... Beyond that I really don't have much to say.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
HYdraMStar

the goblin explained a bit Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : the goblin explained a bit Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: the goblin explained a bit   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2009, 3:41 pm

TerishD wrote:
My personality is strong enough that even through this translucent medium I really cannot hide who I am.

Ditto.

And personally I think more can be learned about the "goblin" by what he's already posted then by any "introduction" he could post... which is why I've expressed no interest in "getting to know" the person behind the mask.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the goblin explained a bit   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2009, 9:14 am

the goblin doesn't hide who he was, he just didn't believe that his "dailylife" self was him while here, that's all, saying "...actors, who do not believe in their parts, while acting, are unlikely to have the audience believe in any of their parts either, and, where the story engulfs its reader, the story teller too, had most likely been possessed by his own story..." the goblin tried to bridge it, continuing "...but you all know that, you been there yourselves, in your stories that is, no, don't try to tell me that it's by some cold calculating thought process here that you write, you wait for it to come, it's that deep gripping sensation isn't it, in which you type on following it, building it, and above all being it in ones total, oblivious to all else, especially time that is..." ventured the goblin now somehow returned at this point to the bistro where he had been when he had started writing this "...gosh, is that the time..." he just mentioned as his "dailylife" intruded on his thoughts once more

Last edited by fleamailman on February 21st 2009, 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : the goblin explained a bit Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2009, 10:58 am

What you are missing, fleamailman, is your ability to communicate. In the threads you appear, the personality is fine. However, what if you want to clearly explain something? What if you want to state your own opinion of a complex topic? Having an internet personality is good. I definitely maintain mine. I have no qualms however about stepping out of character and letting people know that there is a real person here. I do not get onto the internet to live in a fantasy world, but to interact with other real people. Sometimes the interaction is in a fantasy environment, but often, like with these forums, it is to find other REAL people of like interest to share ideas. However much time and effort you have put into developing your internet personality, your real personality has had years of construction and - I will adamantly claim - has a much firmer foundation. Thus, there will be moments when you find your internet personality lacking, and you will need to step out of character. Trust me, we will still be your friends when you do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the goblin explained a bit   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2009, 12:47 pm

the goblin enjoyed the reply TerishD had made, and admired the choice she had made for herself, which was, for someone who intended to be real on the Internet, commendable since perhaps she wanted to be known here but the goblin was different, "...there are times where anonymity is more honest TerishD and suits my purpose too, for at least two reasons, the first being that you are simply dealing with what I say here, not my background, which you will admit soon boils down to published/unpublished, famous/nobody, etc., not something I would ask anyone to buy into here, since I offer you the chance to judge me solely by what I write here...", the goblin broke off, he knew the next bit was no easier, more so now that the girl on the next table was radiant with an amazing smile as she chatted passionately to the other girl who had her back turn to him, slowly he reached over their distracting presence to return to that second reason again, "...above all, I want to be honest with myself here, without the fetters of who would connect this back to the me in my real life, or what's the point I ask myself, "writing is a journey to self, alone" selfish it sounds agreed, but it is not by everyones selflessness that members will remain here indefinitely, they will remain because they have something to be acquired here, and one could learn every trick in that "how to be a writer" catalog and miss altogether the most important thing in writing which is simply what you reading now, this author's toltal sincerity to the subject in hand..." ventured that goblin somehow surprised the night had fallen around him in the absence but everything was jumpy at this point the goblin felt
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

the goblin explained a bit ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : the goblin explained a bit Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: the goblin explained a bit   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2009, 5:18 pm

Well in the beginning I felt you a bit odd, but I like the way you try to deem yourself and stay in character. Thank you for taking the advice to allow us to further know you. Welcome to Scribbles, we are glad to have you here. Other than your winning thread that you've posted in what other writing do you do?
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
Snacker

the goblin explained a bit ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : the goblin explained a bit Caring10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: the goblin explained a bit   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2009, 7:28 pm

Welcome to Scribbles.

I agree with Kelly that first I found you a little bit odd too. Not that being odd is a bad thing, but it took me a while to get the things you were talking about. I now understand that you talk about yourself, your life and the world and I actually like it the way you write, because it's something I haven't seen before.

I would still like to see the "human" side of you and see you post in other threads as well. But other then that, welcome to our community.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the goblin explained a bit   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2009, 8:03 pm

the goblin confessed the he was never anything else, though his username might paint another picture, no, the goblin let that pass, he was just himself writing in third person, "...I suspect that the big difference is that, whereas others want to become writers here, I just wish to create a credible Internet self to counter balance my eventual old age, well, if I live long enough to ever have one that is..." explained the goblin who was across many sites, in fact, he had lost count by now, 40 maybe 50 "last post" threads, what of it, their attrition rate was high and he was choosy too, he continued "...it's funny, being anonymous I shouldn't feel the need to prove and defend anything here, and yet that's precisely what I'm doing, that is, I feel I'm trying to justify me to myself again, which is silly isn't it, when we know one just "is" on the one hand, while one can never really get to the bottom of oneself on the other, or at least I never have, that's why I continue to write I guess..." and with that the goblin let the curtains close till tomorrow but he trusted the scriblebots now
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the goblin explained a bit   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2009, 4:37 am

the goblin liked it here, certainly he felt that he had something in common with the others who had posted back, though whether it was their wish to write, or just their warmth in accepting him, didn't matter, the result remained, and the goblin remained with that result as he turned to his own thoughts again, "...I have met many of you humans in my life, but it always strikes me when I meet someone who is sharing his or her life with their muse fully, they seem different, they don't try to be, nor care much for who has done what either., they simply have something inside that wants to come out through them..." ventured the goblin perhaps explaining why he couldn't help people to write for those external reasons they often gave, though perhaps, if they just continued posting, they too might make contact with her, "...those same people are few amongst the many amongst the millions out there..."
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the goblin explained a bit   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2009, 2:47 pm

"...recognition by hit count, qualification by just doing it..." said the goblin, adding "...so which is the medium that is usurping all others here, is it books, magazines, newspapers, television or radio, which is the medium that everyone wants to contribute to, while wanting to follow too..." and with that the goblin just guessed that most people here could see the point the goblin was making, the goblin simply voiced clearly "...hail fellow posters to this masked ball of the Internet, this is the medium then for we are all our own author/readers now..."
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the goblin explained a bit   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2009, 7:44 am

once more the bistro claimed the goblin on the outside while inside his mind thought back to the point where Bill Gates had once predicted "the Internet will be the media and all others will bow to it", and how at the time he had been laughed out of court so to speak, "...ah well they don't laugh so loud now..." blurted out the goblin amongst the mostly empty tables around him, continuing "...so yes they may claim now that their Internet counterpart is not as good, ah but not that their market share hasn't been eroded by it that is...", and somehow the goblin just felt that Bill Gates prediction had been premature though not incorrect here
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the goblin explained a bit   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2009, 2:41 pm

the goblin noted that in the welcome to fleamailman the subject of McDonald's was appropriate because it showed two diverging concepts, one of "finding oneself though posting" and the other of "losing oneself within McDonald's", "...OK both are not truly possible, but they just underlined the concept of keeping ones head above ones "dailylife" here..."
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the goblin explained a bit   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2009, 2:42 pm

repost from elsewhere, the "welcome new members" thread

"... welcome those who have welcomed me..." said the goblin though after a few hours since first joining this site the goblin had noticed a slight let up in everyones welcoming fleamailman so the goblin has decided to welcome all members welcoming him again while suggesting that we could hold a "welcome fleamailman week" with welcome fleamailman badges and flags, etc., "...anyway as always I am open to debate on this subject afterwards..." ventured the goblin, such was his magnanimous generosity tonight
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the goblin explained a bit   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2009, 2:43 pm

repost from "introduce yourself" thread, elsewhere

"...thank you dear humans, but I feel that in the welcome to fleamailman we are missing a certain "je ne sais pas" here, and perhaps such terms like "wonderful" "amazing" "awsome" "stupendous" and "spectacular" might be loosely sprinkled together with others like "magnificent" "fabulous" "incredible" "brilliant" etc to make a more welcoming welcome here..." he paused adding a proviso saying "...however if you feel that there are too many superlatives here, one could omit one or two and still find that the text is little diminished in the truth it so clearly professes..." uttered the goblin in all humility as usual
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the goblin explained a bit   the goblin explained a bit Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the goblin explained a bit
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Scribe (The Latest News Forum) :: Scribbles Appendages-
Jump to: