Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
write a poem about THAT, Empty33%write a poem about THAT, Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
write a poem about THAT, Empty67%write a poem about THAT, Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
write a poem about THAT, Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
write a poem about THAT, Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
write a poem about THAT, Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
write a poem about THAT, Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
write a poem about THAT, Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
write a poem about THAT, Emptywrite a poem about THAT, Voting_bar2write a poem about THAT, Empty 
TerishD (1441)
write a poem about THAT, Emptywrite a poem about THAT, Voting_bar2write a poem about THAT, Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

write a poem about THAT,

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
John Yamrus

write a poem about THAT, ScribbleSuperr

Male
Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-09-04

write a poem about THAT, Empty
PostSubject: write a poem about THAT,   write a poem about THAT, Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2009, 7:58 pm

write a poem about THAT,

she
said,

sitting
on the edge
of the bed,

smiling.
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

write a poem about THAT, ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : write a poem about THAT, Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: write a poem about THAT,   write a poem about THAT, Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2009, 6:03 pm

That's it? This poem again makes me question what poetry means to everyone, as opposed to what it means to me. I guess some different perspectives and others have VERY different perspectives. Write on..
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
John Yamrus

Male

PostSubject: Re: write a poem about THAT,   write a poem about THAT, Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2009, 7:09 pm

hi kelly;
why this poem works...why it's actually one of my most frequently published/reprinted poems...is that it manages to say so much in so few words. it makes you think about (precisely) what THAT was...it makes youpicture the room, the bedclothes. i'm really proud of this one. it flat out works.
jy
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

write a poem about THAT, ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : write a poem about THAT, Th_wel10

PostSubject: Re: write a poem about THAT,   write a poem about THAT, Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2009, 8:46 pm

Hmm I don't know, don't get me wrong I mean its great that its been reprinted and published so often; I just don't see the point. If its printed on paper it would seem like a great waste of paper, this is my opinion because as the reader sure there are imaginative points in the piece but I'll feel very empty reading it.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
John Yamrus

Male

PostSubject: Re: write a poem about THAT,   write a poem about THAT, Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2009, 9:06 am

Kellycakes wrote:
Hmm I don't know, don't get me wrong I mean its great that its been reprinted and published so often; I just don't see the point. If its printed on paper it would seem like a great waste of paper, this is my opinion because as the reader sure there are imaginative points in the piece but I'll feel very empty reading it.

thanks kelly. you're right. your poems are the bomb.
take care.
john
Back to top Go down
Snacker

write a poem about THAT, ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : write a poem about THAT, Caring10

PostSubject: Re: write a poem about THAT,   write a poem about THAT, Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2009, 9:09 pm

John, please, Kelly just told you what she thought about this poem. There are billions of people on this world, and not everyone has the same opinion about it as the other.

John Yamrus wrote:
thanks kelly. you're right. your poems are the bomb.

I hear nothing but sarcasm out of what you said, and that is not really nice. Just because she didn't really care for it (which btw I didn't either) that's no reason to go after her.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
HYdraMStar

write a poem about THAT, Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : write a poem about THAT, Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: write a poem about THAT,   write a poem about THAT, Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2009, 9:51 pm

Sigh, I liked it, but everyone's reaction is going to be different. If you, John, don't want to hear negative comments/reactions then maybe forum posting isn't for you and you should stick with submitting and worrying only about the opinion of publishers, which you seem to have great success with.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
deathbypen

write a poem about THAT, Scribbler-1
deathbypen

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: write a poem about THAT,   write a poem about THAT, Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2009, 6:28 am

Hello John,

I agree with Hydra on this one. I also enjoyed the poem (especially because my mind is dirty so THAT was very interesting indeed).

Everyone is going to react differently and an honest opinion is difficult to come by when it's so much easier to write "Great job" without an ounce of thought.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: write a poem about THAT,   write a poem about THAT, Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

write a poem about THAT,
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Verses (Poet's Forum) :: Versification-
Jump to: