Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
A lesson - I hope Empty33%A lesson - I hope Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
A lesson - I hope Empty67%A lesson - I hope Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
A lesson - I hope Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
A lesson - I hope Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
A lesson - I hope Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
A lesson - I hope Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
A lesson - I hope Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
A lesson - I hope EmptyA lesson - I hope Voting_bar2A lesson - I hope Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

A lesson - I hope

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TerishD

A lesson - I hope ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : A lesson - I hope Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

A lesson - I hope Empty
PostSubject: A lesson - I hope   A lesson - I hope Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2008, 9:07 am

In response to the exchange between me and Urs, I gave him a chance to tear into a coming installment of my story. He instead simply gave me a challenge.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
One thing is your use of completing an idea or conveying an event in its entirety.

"Giluchex actually found himself enjoying the travel with Dathol. The holy man did not constantly speak on religion."

The idea here is that Giluchex enjoyed traveling with Dathol because he did not incessantly speak of religion.

What I want you to do with this, is consider three different ways you could say this, and at least one of them should be in a single sentence, to see alternatives to what you put out to start with.

Paragraph from selection wrote:
Giluchex actually found himself enjoying the travel with Dathol. The holy man did not constantly speak on religion. He not only knew about each world along the path of travel, but could speak on matters concerning Davelda. Giluchex found out quick that Dathol considered Terish and Straekin very good friends. While direct attacks upon either member of the couple would be strongly defended, discussion of policies either had instituted would be politely advanced. That fit Giluchex's personality, and he found the travel to be entertaining.
Again, the idea here is that Giluchex enjoyed intelligent conversation but knew that Dathol was dear friends with Trish and Straekin as such would not abide any personal insults towards the two, but would entertain and even get involved in discussions of politics and policies as long as it was kept civil.

So what I want you to do is tell me that in three different manners. One using as few words as possible, the other as few sentences as possible and the last as many dynamic and descriptive words as you can think of.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
1) Giluchex enjoyed traveling with Dathol as he could speak on several non-religious subject, although would quickly voice disapproval of any statement against his friends.

2) Giluchex pleasantly passed the time traveling speaking with Dathol on several subjects. Only the topics of Terish or Straekin found disapproval. He however found himself cheerfully debating topics of a political nature without any resistance from the holy man. A happy feeling overcame Giluchex at the conclusion of each of those conversations as he realized that a number of miles had passed.

3) Giluchex exuberantly appreciated the repeated fact that that Dathol could knowledgeably speak on several subjects. Being the leader of a large faction of the Daveldan council, Giluchex found himself pleasantly amazed that the holy man could speak on relevant government issues. There had been an initial suspicious resistance to accepting the offer from Dathol, because the fear of hearing the constant prattle of religious dogma would have highly annoyed Giluchex. Instead the dull journey had been rather entertaining because the topics had been those he preferred, and the complexity of heated discussion had been on a level that rose above the normal questioning of reporters or regular citizens. There had been times when something about the exotic scenery intruded on their thoughts, although the fact that Dathol could knowledgeably speak about the strange worlds through which they traveled made even the side conversations interesting. Giluchex had chanced speaking some of his biased opinions about Terish or Straekin, but found Dathol quick to boldly defend the couple. Giluchex thus wisely edited out any interjection of derogatory commentary about his empress or the man who she traveled with, but other than that concern he traveled the distance being completely pleased that he did indeed have someone with whom he could speak.

Okay, I did it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : A lesson - I hope Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

A lesson - I hope Empty
PostSubject: Re: A lesson - I hope   A lesson - I hope Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2008, 9:53 am

Very well done. I rather enjoyed reading these to tell the truth. I liked the vast difference you put in between them.

So let me say first off, that Storytelling is highly subject to the opinion of the receiver, it is not so much technical, but more just going by the gut.

So, as opposed to me going though this and saying "Look at XYZ" which would loosly be me telling you, my opinion on this, I would much rather have you go though this and tell me about which one did you like best, and why?

TerishD wrote:
1) Giluchex enjoyed traveling with Dathol as he could speak on several non-religious subject, although would quickly voice disapproval of any statement against his friends.

2) Giluchex pleasantly passed the time traveling speaking with Dathol on several subjects. Only the topics of Terish or Straekin found disapproval. He however found himself cheerfully debating topics of a political nature without any resistance from the holy man. A happy feeling overcame Giluchex at the conclusion of each of those conversations as he realized that a number of miles had passed.

3) Giluchex exuberantly appreciated the repeated fact that that Dathol could knowledgeably speak on several subjects. Being the leader of a large faction of the Daveldan council, Giluchex found himself pleasantly amazed that the holy man could speak on relevant government issues. There had been an initial suspicious resistance to accepting the offer from Dathol, because the fear of hearing the constant prattle of religious dogma would have highly annoyed Giluchex. Instead the dull journey had been rather entertaining because the topics had been those he preferred, and the complexity of heated discussion had been on a level that rose above the normal questioning of reporters or regular citizens. There had been times when something about the exotic scenery intruded on their thoughts, although the fact that Dathol could knowledgeably speak about the strange worlds through which they traveled made even the side conversations interesting. Giluchex had chanced speaking some of his biased opinions about Terish or Straekin, but found Dathol quick to boldly defend the couple. Giluchex thus wisely edited out any interjection of derogatory commentary about his empress or the man who she traveled with, but other than that concern he traveled the distance being completely pleased that he did indeed have someone with whom he could speak.

In my feeling on this, each of these has their place in a story. There are times when you don't need to volunteer information while at other times you need to submerge someone into the moment.

A Book can be equated to a movie in many ways, like a when the MC is just in some gray blackness knowing that something bland and unimportant is taking place but don't need to know too much about it (Going to work that morning or some such), while other times you end up being in this rich lavish environment with so much going on that you can't help BUT be captivated by it (a sexy woman in a hot red dress shows is flirting with the MC).

So now, I asked what one you like best and why, so now I ask what you did not like about each of them.

I will wait for your response.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
TerishD

TerishD

Male

A lesson - I hope Empty
PostSubject: Reply   A lesson - I hope Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2008, 11:07 am

Well, truthfully, that is a silly question - as I liked the one I wrote. Of the three choices, I like #2. Number 1 does not set the mood, and number 3 is wordy with the extra text not offering anything to the text. My paragraph basically is #2 with a little spice to support the flow of the story and character.

I write scenes. I imagine a scene, then write it out adding in the details that I believe make it worth writing. I find it rather terse once done, but the details are there for me to flesh it out. I look to my development of characters, the flow of the story, and finally anything about the setting to help me finish the text. Once I have a right balance and I find the scene to flow in a manner that I can read it without my fingers moving to the keyboard to fix something, I consider it done.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

A lesson - I hope Empty
PostSubject: Re: A lesson - I hope   A lesson - I hope Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2008, 12:27 pm

Ouch.

Calling my question silly hurt.

Now, moving past that, what if I told you I did not like any of these, or the original? That I thought they all fell short of the mark.

Now imagine if I said "Giluchex enjoyed discussing polite politics with Dathol on their otherwise mindless trek across the Omniverse" was perfect, it summed up the situation set the mood perfectly.

Do you agree or disagree with me, and why?
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

A lesson - I hope Empty
PostSubject: Reply   A lesson - I hope Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2008, 12:38 pm

Silly hurt? Why would you have not thought I would prefer my original paragraph? I expected you to expect it.

As for your basic sentence-

It wasn't mindless. Giluchex had a reason for taking the journey. It might not have been as enjoyable as he hoped, but it did have a purpose. The word 'otherwise' simply does not belong.

Polite? No. Giluchex does attempt to be tactful, but he has reputation of not being tactful enough. Just as I try to show, Giluchex's own biased nature reveals itself rather often (thus the need to point out that he makes statements against Terish and Straekin that Dathol needs to defend).

Let me also say that the simple sentence does nothing towards showing. My paragraph might not be full showing either, but I do present a clearer vision to the reader about how the travel progressed. To show I would have actually needed to detail a conversation, but that would have been an extended passage that would have little benefit. I thus believe that I made the correct decision.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

A lesson - I hope Empty
PostSubject: Re: A lesson - I hope   A lesson - I hope Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2008, 2:12 pm

TerishD wrote:
Silly hurt? Why would you have not thought I would prefer my original paragraph? I expected you to expect it.

As for your basic sentence-

It wasn't mindless. Giluchex had a reason for taking the journey. It might not have been as enjoyable as he hoped, but it did have a purpose. The word 'otherwise' simply does not belong.

Polite? No. Giluchex does attempt to be tactful, but he has reputation of not being tactful enough. Just as I try to show, Giluchex's own biased nature reveals itself rather often (thus the need to point out that he makes statements against Terish and Straekin that Dathol needs to defend).

Let me also say that the simple sentence does nothing towards showing. My paragraph might not be full showing either, but I do present a clearer vision to the reader about how the travel progressed. To show I would have actually needed to detail a conversation, but that would have been an extended passage that would have little benefit. I thus believe that I made the correct decision.

Ok this is what is called a "Bad Review"

You disagree that what I said was the correct way to say things. Now, I said it that way in that manner, because I believed that was the best way to say things and get the point across, if I did not, I would not have put it up.

Now, I have many options here:

I can listen to you. Taking what you have said into deep consideration. Trying to see alternatives and perhaps questioning my own decision on this, that in fact there might be better ways to say this.

I can Ignore you. (Self explanatory)

or

I can fight with you about this, defending my decision to say things the way I have said them.

Which would be the best move in this situation?

Well, in case you are wondering, I can defend what I said, and why I said it. It would not be too hard for me either.

I could ignore what you had to say on this subject, dismissing you as not having a clue, for a vast variety of reasons. (I think anyone can write up a good dismissal)

Or I could listen to what you have to say. Take it into account and look back at what I have written and consider that I could say this other ways, perhaps, even better ways.

In the end, that decision is mine, but I'll give it you this time, what do you think would be the best decision for me to make with this situation?

Last edited by Urs on December 31st 2008, 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed colors and a few spelling grammar issues.)
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

A lesson - I hope Empty
PostSubject: Reply   A lesson - I hope Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2008, 4:06 pm

All three are antagonistic. They are thus all three the wrong option. Both of us have clear beliefs founded on solid ways of thought. There is thus the simple option of shaking hands and being friends.

Write, Urs, and read. That is what this site is about. Not about promoting a single correct method. I will let you know what I think about your stuff, but I won't call you wrong (unless there is something wrong, such be you wrongly something right). Start telling your stories the way you want to read them. In the same manner, give me updates. Nothing wrong with trading notes.

The world needs people like us. The mass market is not providing good stuff, so we need to be there for those looking.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

A lesson - I hope Empty
PostSubject: Re: A lesson - I hope   A lesson - I hope Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2008, 5:04 pm

TerishD wrote:
All three are antagonistic. They are thus all three the wrong option. Both of us have clear beliefs founded on solid ways of thought. There is thus the simple option of shaking hands and being friends.

Write, Urs, and read. That is what this site is about. Not about promoting a single correct method. I will let you know what I think about your stuff, but I won't call you wrong (unless there is something wrong, such be you wrongly something right). Start telling your stories the way you want to read them. In the same manner, give me updates. Nothing wrong with trading notes.

The world needs people like us. The mass market is not providing good stuff, so we need to be there for those looking.

Point well taken.

I am not trying to say you are 'wrong' (I hope that was not your perceptions of things), so perhaps I have to consider that I have been going about this the wrong way.

I hope you never stop writing.

You have a great imagination and tell epic tales.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A lesson - I hope Empty
PostSubject: Re: A lesson - I hope   A lesson - I hope Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A lesson - I hope
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Pennings (Writer's Forum) :: The Scrawler's Workplace :: Grammar Tips-
Jump to: