Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Revision: Cold Shoulder Empty33%Revision: Cold Shoulder Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Revision: Cold Shoulder Empty67%Revision: Cold Shoulder Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Revision: Cold Shoulder EmptyRevision: Cold Shoulder Voting_bar2Revision: Cold Shoulder Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Revision: Cold Shoulder EmptyRevision: Cold Shoulder Voting_bar2Revision: Cold Shoulder Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Revision: Cold Shoulder

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
deathbypen

Revision: Cold Shoulder Scribbler-1
deathbypen

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Revision: Cold Shoulder Empty
PostSubject: Revision: Cold Shoulder   Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2008, 1:33 am

First 170 words. I wrote this for a September exercise but I've been thinking about expanding it. Thoughts on starting with dialogue? Generally, jumping right to dialogue is my style but is it helping or hurting me? I'm afraid that without establishing context right off, I may not be pulling readers in. And, of course, point out any other mistakes. I'm open to any and all suggestions.[Please see Revision Exercise post if you have not done so]

Cold Shoulder

I wasn't entirely impressed by Jack's antics. Despite the centuries of folklore describing Jack Frost as a spritely adolescent, I found him to be a bit on the whinny side.

"What's that look for?" he asked innocently, as if he didn't know.

For a moment I thought about ignoring him, but I knew from experience he wasn't the type to be ignored for long.

"I'm not a fan of your work," I admitted, pointing to said masterpiece.

"You used to be." Even though his words were quiet, they were carefully empty.

If I hadn't known him better, it would have been easy to miss the slight tightness that pulled at his lips. Although he wouldn't admit it, I was sure he was expecting something a little more flattering.

Jack sat on the frozen log that had just minutes ago been covered with green moss. Now the moss resembled cake icing. I almost expected to hear the ice crunch underneath him, but as usual, it never betrayed his movement.
Back to top Go down
TerishD

Revision: Cold Shoulder ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Revision: Cold Shoulder Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2008, 9:01 am

I find dialogue to be a good intro, but only enough to catch the eye of the reader. Problem is - you didn't start with dialogue, did you? With you permission, let me play with it.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I wasn't entirely impressed by Jack's antics. Despite the centuries of folklore describing Jack Frost as a spritely adolescent, I found him to be a bit on the whinny side. For a moment I thought about ignoring him, but I knew from experience he wasn't the type to be ignored for long.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I like a leading line of dialogue, as it tells the reader that you are going to move the story. However, no description will simply have most readers drop the text as well. Thus, work the details in while keeping things happening is good.

The question now comes - where to put in the text. You are missing -

1) A description of Jack
2) Acknowledgement of who is the point-of-view
3) Where are they?
4) What masterpiece?
5) What is the story?

All but the last is VERY important. The last is important as well, but if you keep things moving most readers will read for the entertainment value alone (at least, for a while).

Let me note that if you are having your point-of-view more rational, make certain that he 'sounds' rational. Don't have him and Jack speaking in the same manner. I am not saying that you did, there are not enough lines to tell, but I am noting such.

I also caught the description of everything Jack touches as freezing. That is a good bit of flavor, but it also is a BIG problem if you want Jack interacting. Think about it, and figure out the rules about Jack touching things. Something as glaring of a constant problem as this needs to have clear rules - so sit down and make yourself notes so you can stay consistent. At some level you need to explain those rules to the reader, as it helps them accept your reality as 'real.'

Okay, hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Revision: Cold Shoulder Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Revision: Cold Shoulder   Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2008, 4:12 pm

deathbypen wrote:
First 170 words. I wrote this for a September exercise but I've been thinking about expanding it. Thoughts on starting with dialogue? Generally, jumping right to dialogue is my style but is it helping or hurting me? I'm afraid that without establishing context right off, I may not be pulling readers in. And, of course, point out any other mistakes. I'm open to any and all suggestions.[Please see Revision Exercise post if you have not done so]

I have read this, and I must say this could go places. I would like to see what happens and where it trails off to.

With that put out.

Lets get to the nitty gritty.

Quote :
Cold Shoulder

I wasn't entirely impressed by Jack's antics. (This openign line does NOT pull me in, Jack, however your Next line is a Bomb Dropper, I loved it, consider removing the first line and just start with this second one) Despite the centuries of folklore describing Jack Frost as a spritely adolescent, I found him to be a bit on the whinny side.

For a moment I thought about ignoring him, but I knew from experience he wasn't the type to be ignored for long.

"You used to be." Even though his words were quiet, they were carefully empty.

If I hadn't known him better, it would have been easy to miss the slight tightness that pulled at his lips. Although he wouldn't admit it, I was sure he was expecting something a little more flattering.

Jack sat on the frozen log that had just minutes ago been covered with green moss. Now the moss resembled cake icing. I almost expected to hear the ice crunch underneath him, but as usual, it never betrayed his movement.

The problem I have with this, is that I can't tell who the narrator is, I know this is first person, it needs to feel first person and the first person needs to be put out. Who is talking, and why would they be talking to the mystical "Jack Frost" in such a way that they seem to old friends.

"If I hadn't known him better, it would have been easy to miss the slight tightness that pulled at his lips"."Although he wouldn't admit it, I was sure he was expecting something a little more flattering."

If you look at this line, it is a narrator there, first person talking in 3rd person narration.

"If I had not known Jack for as long as I have I would have missed the way his lips tightened at the outer edges as he spoke, I could tell that he was expecting something a bit more flattering from me, even if I knew he would never bring himself to admit it"

Just consider HOW the first person narrator is going to be telling this story. We are seeing things from the eyes of the person across from Jack Frost, who this person is, we do not know, but all that we should know is only what this person knows. You can't use omniscient knowledge and first person dialogue, only the assumptions of the narrator.

"I could tell by the way he shifted in his seat he was playing a hand with all low cards"

The way he looked into my eyes made me feel like he would watch over me forever.

All in all, this has some very good ideas behind it, and needs to expand a bit and find the narrators voice in this, perhaps by the voice of the narrator we might even get clues into who they are.

I also wondered what masterpiece, until I realized that it was the currently frozen tree.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
deathbypen

deathbypen

PostSubject: Re: Revision: Cold Shoulder   Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2008, 10:24 pm

TerishD and Urs,

I appreciate the comments from both of you.

They have helped me focus on what I need to do. To begin, I agree, I need to sit down and think of the rules for my boy, Jack.

Also, I'm going to keep both your suggestions in mind for switching the dialogue around because both of you remarked on that opening line. I do like how the dialogue pulls a little more and improves the flow.

I'll try to make the narrator pop out a little bit more. It will help me flesh out the description areas. Even if it isn't within the first 170 words, it's something that needs to be relatively soon.

Lastly, I really liked that you pointed out what my narrator does and doesn't know. She has known Jack for a long time, but taking a second look, I think you're correct. The following sentence is a little too much. If she explained how she could tell, then it would be a little more clearer, and give insight into the relationship.

"I could tell that he was expecting something a bit more flattering from me, even if I knew he would never bring himself to admit it."

I appreciate the time both of you two took to go through this intro. I'll return the favor.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: Revision: Cold Shoulder   Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2008, 10:10 am

Glad to Help - Happy Holidays. Good luck with this project. It looks like fun.

and don't over think Jack Frost, he is a fay, mystical being. Play with what works to keep the story going and you might discover that the "rules" write themselves.

After all, is this a story about two old friends talking as they walk though the forest, or is this a story about the magical properties of Jack Frost?
Back to top Go down
deathbypen

deathbypen

PostSubject: Re: Revision: Cold Shoulder   Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2008, 12:56 am

Urs,

Happy Holidays to you as well. I love visiting family but I'm glad the zoo-like shopping is over with.

The story is about two old friends, or well...enemies. I'm leaning towards the romance genre for this one. The narrator is Cupid, and she's a little pissed with Jack Frost. Without giving too much away, Cupid was shot by her own arrow. Guess who shot her...

I wanted to use mythical characters, but vampires are a little over done. I'm hoping to make Cupid, Jack Frost, the nine Muses, and a handful of other supernatural characters sexy, powerful, and undeniably flawed.

I'm planning on deviating from the traditional roles of each character so that there is more of a modern twist, but...I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do that yet.

It's definitely something i'm thinking about.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: Revision: Cold Shoulder   Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2008, 10:20 am

deathbypen wrote:
The story is about two old friends, or well...enemies. I'm leaning towards the romance genre for this one. The narrator is Cupid, and she's a little pissed with Jack Frost. Without giving too much away, Cupid was shot by her own arrow. Guess who shot her...

I thought Cupid was male, the perpetual boy-child of Aphrodite.
Back to top Go down
deathbypen

deathbypen

PostSubject: Re: Revision: Cold Shoulder   Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2008, 2:31 am

Naw, I'm playing with that a little. I'm also thinking of having more than one. I've never been a fan of the superhero syndrome, you know, only one of a kind.

I'm almost considering a business-like atmosphere in the supernatural world. Some of them aren't exactly thrilled with their mystical lot in life, but eh, it's what they have to work with.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: Revision: Cold Shoulder   Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2008, 12:17 pm

It would be my humble opinion that you focus on just these characters and their relationship, it has a nice feel to it and flows well. I look forward to seeing where you take this.

As for Cupid, it is your story if you want make Cupid a Girl, or even perhaps a genderless changeling that can be either male or female, that would be good too. Might even make some fun twists if Cupid shifted to male and female as they talked to Jack Frost.
Back to top Go down
deathbypen

deathbypen

PostSubject: Re: Revision: Cold Shoulder   Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2008, 1:09 pm

I like the idea of switching genders. Can you imagine a world when changing your sex was as easy as changing your clothes? Now, that would be interesting.

Inside my head, this story is going to take on a romance tone, so the gender swapping may be a little beyond my current concept. Although, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of adding an element like that which takes people a little out of that comfortable mental zone. It may not be ideal for the current characters, but to have an additional background character with that ability may almost make Cupid and Jack Frost appear normal.

I finally have some time today to write and revise. I'm striving to actually post a chapter but we'll see.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: Revision: Cold Shoulder   Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2008, 7:12 pm

deathbypen wrote:
I like the idea of switching genders. Can you imagine a world when changing your sex was as easy as changing your clothes? Now, that would be interesting.

Inside my head, this story is going to take on a romance tone, so the gender swapping may be a little beyond my current concept. Although, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of adding an element like that which takes people a little out of that comfortable mental zone. It may not be ideal for the current characters, but to have an additional background character with that ability may almost make Cupid and Jack Frost appear normal.

I finally have some time today to write and revise. I'm striving to actually post a chapter but we'll see.

Looking forward to it. Glad to Help.
Back to top Go down
Swami

Revision: Cold Shoulder ScribbleSuperr
Swami

Male
Number of posts : 147
Current Mood : Revision: Cold Shoulder Th_hap10
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Revision: Cold Shoulder   Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2009, 2:44 pm

I agree its your story, its up to you what you do to Cupid, but people familiar with the myth may be a bit thrown or even put off by the gender change. Cupid sounds masculine as well as a name. There's many ancient goddess' that might fit in better, so if you're uncertain even the tiniest bit, you can always shop around. There's thousands of ancient deities and mythical beings to work with. Also, for the more than one phenomena, you could always bring in the other gods of love from around the globe, such as Eros for example. Would make it interesting IMO.

Unless, of course, its a satirical jab at the myths in question, then cupid being female, and there being dozens of her, would suit the needs. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://unsaneculture.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revision: Cold Shoulder   Revision: Cold Shoulder Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Revision: Cold Shoulder
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Pennings (Writer's Forum) :: The Scrawler's Workplace :: Grammar Tips-
Jump to: