Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
New Years Resolutions Empty33%New Years Resolutions Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
New Years Resolutions Empty67%New Years Resolutions Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
New Years Resolutions Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
New Years Resolutions Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
New Years Resolutions Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
New Years Resolutions Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
New Years Resolutions Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
New Years Resolutions EmptyNew Years Resolutions Voting_bar2New Years Resolutions Empty 
TerishD (1441)
New Years Resolutions EmptyNew Years Resolutions Voting_bar2New Years Resolutions Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

New Years Resolutions

Go down 
+2
Snacker
HYdraMStar
6 posters
AuthorMessage
HYdraMStar

New Years Resolutions Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : New Years Resolutions Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

New Years Resolutions Empty
PostSubject: New Years Resolutions   New Years Resolutions Icon_minitimeDecember 12th 2008, 11:08 pm

Anyone doing any New Years resolutions this year? If so, what are they?

Normally, I set forth to work on yearly 'resolution' on or around my birthday. The last two years I resolved to loss weight, eat right, and get fit. I've done fairly well and for the most part stayed on track.

But this year, I'm going to do something a little more fun... well, at least fun to me.

I'm going to be keeping a tarot journal this year. I've collected tarot decks for years now, I have five different decks I use regularly, and have kept such a journal in the past. Basically the idea behind it is to do a spread everyday or nearly everyday and journal about what you think the cards mean/reflect. It's a sort of prop meditation and really allows you to explore the things that are on your mind but might not be at the forefront of you mind.

Well, that's what I'm doing? What about you guys?
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Snacker

New Years Resolutions ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : New Years Resolutions Caring10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: New Years Resolutions   New Years Resolutions Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2008, 1:35 am

I'm going to quit smoking! I did manage it to stop smoking when I was in college. I stopped for more then a year, but when the final exams arrived, I started smoking again. I sometimes smoke close to 20 cigarettes a day, and let me say, they ain't even tasty. The best cigarette is right after a good meal, but I just can't stand the first cigarette in the day. Nasty, just nasty!

I also want to lose some weight. I started a couple month ago, but somehow it just won't click in my head. I don't know why it is so hard for me to turn my brain to it. I know I have to, I know I'd feel better with less weight, so why is it so hard? But I definitely will give it another try!
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: New Years Resolutions   New Years Resolutions Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2008, 8:02 pm

Those are really good ones. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Urs

New Years Resolutions ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : New Years Resolutions Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: New Years Resolutions   New Years Resolutions Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2008, 10:39 pm

Only got one right now.

Eat better foods.

Not so much a "loose weight diet" but a "Eat less crap diet" I have no intentions of eating less food per say, just less junk foods.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
TerishD

TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : New Years Resolutions Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   New Years Resolutions Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2008, 10:46 pm

Not so much a New Year resolution, just a promise that I hope to keep - Maintain What I Have. I have a good relationship with my children. I have a little respect from those around me. I am going to keep plugging away at trying to make things better, but I don't want to risk what I already have.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
deathbypen

New Years Resolutions Scribbler-1
deathbypen

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: New Years Resolutions   New Years Resolutions Icon_minitimeDecember 22nd 2008, 8:29 pm

I have two this year because both are pretty broad.

One is to be proactive on becoming the person I want to be. I've been going with the flow of things, but now it's time to make some of those big life decisions. While I'm far from a procrastinator on an academic and professional level, I am one when it comes to self-improvement.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: New Years Resolutions   New Years Resolutions Icon_minitimeDecember 22nd 2008, 8:57 pm

Urs wrote:

Not so much a "loose weight diet" but a "Eat less crap diet" I have no intentions of eating less food per say, just less junk foods.

I'll be interested to know if you lose weight anyway, if indeed you have any extra weight to loss, because a big misconception a lot of folks have about weight loss diets is that they mean having to eat less food when really any good weight loss diet is about eating less crap and replacing it with good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : New Years Resolutions Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: New Years Resolutions   New Years Resolutions Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2008, 9:35 am

HYdraMStar wrote:
I'll be interested to know if you lose weight anyway, if indeed you have any extra weight to loss, because a big misconception a lot of folks have about weight loss diets is that they mean having to eat less food when really any good weight loss diet is about eating less crap and replacing it with good stuff.

Oh make no mistake, I tip the scales well over where I should be, I have weight to loose, and then some.

Anyway, and I plan to buy a bike.

Again, this is not some weight loss plan, but since I am in Florida now, and the roads are almost entirely flat, a bike will help me save money on gas and my world will not end if my truck needs repairs (Like it does now), so I plan to buy one of those 3 wheeled bikes with the crate in the back for short trips to the store and things like that, gives me distance with out the need for gas stops.

Heard someone joke about bikes getting something like 5 miles to the cheeseburger and I thought that funny.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Kellycakes

New Years Resolutions ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : New Years Resolutions Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: New Years Resolutions   New Years Resolutions Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2009, 1:28 am

Like someone has already mentioned, I'm not making resolutions but working towards creating a better life for myself and my family. In the past years, I've given a lot to other leaving myself uncared for. So my first promise would have to be, to be a little more selfish and love myself a little more.

Like most people I would like to lose some weight as well but I always make this promise to myself and end up at the same weight or a few pounds shy of whatever goal I've set.

Another is to get back to Arizona and spend some time on the red rocks, although this goes back to my first wish for the year, and I have no doubt that we will be doing this, this year.

As far as writing goes, I hope that I'll be able to stick to the schedules I've set for myself and continue juggling 'Scribbles' which basically takes care of itself and my writing, which requires a lot of editing and writing, and reading and a lot of attention and development that takes time and patience.

Either way I'm sure I can continue to set and reach my goals this year. The only one that I had last year that I didn't expect to reach was, no drinking for the entire year, and luckily the first drink I've had since January 1st, 2007 was January 1st, 2008. So I made it and it was lovely.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Years Resolutions   New Years Resolutions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Years Resolutions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: