Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
A Grab On Words Empty33%A Grab On Words Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
A Grab On Words Empty67%A Grab On Words Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
A Grab On Words Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
A Grab On Words Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
A Grab On Words Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
A Grab On Words Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
A Grab On Words Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
A Grab On Words EmptyA Grab On Words Voting_bar2A Grab On Words Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

A Grab On Words

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Leaka

A Grab On Words Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : A Grab On Words Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

A Grab On Words Empty
PostSubject: A Grab On Words   A Grab On Words Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2008, 9:16 pm

A Grab on Words

I don't know how to say this
I have a hard time opening my mouth
My heart wants to speak
But only breathless ice comes
Out of my mouth

I have no more words
They have grasped me and left me
They hate me now, these words
Of mine they just walked off
Leaving me empty and cold

I cannot grab on words
I am just here alone
My words are no longer
Here and my heart is trying
To grab them back

My heart like a bug collector
trying to find that rare beetle
I cannot help my heart grab these words
And they slip by me once again

I seem like a solemn silent
puppet now that I don't
have my words
Back to top Go down
Shadow Dragon

A Grab On Words Scribbler-1
Shadow Dragon

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-09-24

A Grab On Words Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Grab On Words   A Grab On Words Icon_minitimeSeptember 30th 2008, 6:39 am

Not bad, I liked it. Good and unique concept to write a poem about.
Back to top Go down
John Yamrus

A Grab On Words ScribbleSuperr

Male
Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-09-04

A Grab On Words Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Grab On Words   A Grab On Words Icon_minitimeSeptember 30th 2008, 4:33 pm

i have to respectfully disagree with Shadow Dragon...writing a poem (or anything) about not having anything to write about is just about the oldest trick in the book. everyone's done it (more than once, most likely). it's a substitute for inspiration. that being said, it's a fairly well-written substitute, especially considering your age. one thing you should watch is your repeated words...you say "grab" 4 times and "words" 5 times. expand your vocabulary...find other ways of saying the same thing. my advice to you...my advice to anyone wanting to write competent poetry...is to read as much as you can...and i don't mean internet poetry...i mean actual published work. go into your local bookstore and buy some books. check out a guy named charles bukowski...he'll blow you away. read allen ginsberg and lawrence ferlinghetti. attack those book shelves. your poetry will be all the better because of it.
john
Back to top Go down
Leaka

A Grab On Words Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : A Grab On Words Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

A Grab On Words Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Grab On Words   A Grab On Words Icon_minitimeSeptember 30th 2008, 6:00 pm

John Yamrus wrote:
i have to respectfully disagree with Shadow Dragon...writing a poem (or anything) about not having anything to write about is just about the oldest trick in the book. everyone's done it (more than once, most likely). it's a substitute for inspiration. that being said, it's a fairly well-written substitute, especially considering your age. one thing you should watch is your repeated words...you say "grab" 4 times and "words" 5 times. expand your vocabulary...find other ways of saying the same thing. my advice to you...my advice to anyone wanting to write competent poetry...is to read as much as you can...and i don't mean internet poetry...i mean actual published work. go into your local bookstore and buy some books. check out a guy named charles bukowski...he'll blow you away. read allen ginsberg and lawrence ferlinghetti. attack those book shelves. your poetry will be all the better because of it.
john

I don't think you understood my concept.
My idea was to write when I can't say anything to someone.
You know those moments when you want to tell someone something, but can't because either you can't remember your words or the words are to rude.
I wrote grab four or five times because I like the idea of hands trying to grab words. I was trying to create this picture.
Back to top Go down
John Yamrus

A Grab On Words ScribbleSuperr

Male
Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-09-04

A Grab On Words Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Grab On Words   A Grab On Words Icon_minitimeSeptember 30th 2008, 6:10 pm

well, at the very least it sounds like you had a plan...that's certainly more than most people have. that's great that you went into the piece with a goal and had thought about how you were going to reach that goal. that's great. i don't think you totally reached that point as your reader (me) missed the point. now, that may merely be a sign of my enduring ignorance and approaching senility, so i may be wrong in my assessment.
once again, the mere fact that you had thought about what you wanted to write and how you wanted to comminicate those thoughts, puts you well ahead of the crowd.
best...
yamrus
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Grab On Words Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Grab On Words   A Grab On Words Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Grab On Words
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Verses (Poet's Forum) :: Versification-
Jump to: