Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Music and Writing? Empty33%Music and Writing? Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Music and Writing? Empty67%Music and Writing? Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Music and Writing? Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Music and Writing? Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Music and Writing? Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Music and Writing? Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Music and Writing? Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Music and Writing? EmptyMusic and Writing? Voting_bar2Music and Writing? Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Music and Writing?

Go down 
+6
alexandra
lackeyagogo
HYdraMStar
Snacker
TerishD
Kellycakes
10 posters

Do You Listen to Music While You Write?
Yes
Music and Writing? Empty44%Music and Writing? Empty
 44% [ 7 ]
No
Music and Writing? Empty13%Music and Writing? Empty
 13% [ 2 ]
Sometimes
Music and Writing? Empty43%Music and Writing? Empty
 43% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 16

AuthorMessage
Kellycakes

Music and Writing? ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Music and Writing? Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Music and Writing? Empty
PostSubject: Music and Writing?   Music and Writing? Icon_minitimeSeptember 5th 2008, 10:15 pm

I personally like to listen to whatever artists makes the kind of music I'm in the mood to write a poem like. Like certain soft music for love and romance or rock for dark angst, there are many a mood for many a writing style.

Do you like to listen to music while writing? If so, who? What types and why?
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
TerishD

Music and Writing? ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Music and Writing? Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Music and Writing? Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Music and Writing? Icon_minitimeSeptember 5th 2008, 10:53 pm

ALL RIGHT! Now here is a poll that makes sense. Yes, I sometimes listen to music as I write. It can be anywhere from rough metal to classical. Today it was Dream Theater, Night Wish, and another one from my oldest daughter, then some Bette Midler. Vivaldi is in the player, but I have not turned it on. I will probably listen to Vivaldi tomorrow, then some Pink Floyd. No telling.

I consider music my wall and timer. If the music is going, I don't want to be bothered. If somebody asks me to do something, the response is, "Wait until the music is over." Does it put me in the mood to write? No. In fact, it often has me singing alone so I am not writing at all, which is why I listen to classical -- you cannot sing to it. Movie scores do the best at setting a mood, although it works against you when you are writing a love scene and listening to "Speed Racer" (good soundtrack) or writing a fight scene and listening to "Glory." Aw well, anyway, yes, I sometimes listen to music.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Snacker

Music and Writing? ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : Music and Writing? Caring10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Music and Writing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music and Writing?   Music and Writing? Icon_minitimeSeptember 6th 2008, 1:41 am

I couldn't be in a room, write and listen to music the same time. I'm a total music fan and if I'm into music, I focus on the lyrics. So the only thing I would write down while listening to music would probably the lyrics itself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
HYdraMStar

Music and Writing? Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Music and Writing? Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Music and Writing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music and Writing?   Music and Writing? Icon_minitimeSeptember 6th 2008, 8:40 pm

For the most part I don't listen to music when I write. I find it a bit distracting, but a television blaring in the background doesn't bother me at all. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
lackeyagogo

Music and Writing? NewScribbler-1
lackeyagogo

Male
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Music and Writing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music and Writing?   Music and Writing? Icon_minitimeSeptember 7th 2008, 9:49 am

iTunes is always running when I write. It could be Peter Murphy, Rob Zombie, Iggy Pop, or even Crash Test Dummies depending on what I am in the mood to create. I feel like it takes the pressure off and gets my head in the right place.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lackeyent
alexandra

Music and Writing? ScribbleSuperr
alexandra

Female
Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Music and Writing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music and Writing?   Music and Writing? Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 3:04 am

I’m with Lackey here, I write with music. Sometimes it’s music that brings up a story and some other times I play certain type of music depending on how I want the story to go; if I want action I have fast music, if I want to slow down, then it’s slow music. I wrote a story using solely requiems (many different ones) and although it was kind of depressing, I was actually happy about the result, the story will be published in November hahahaha! In New Zealand out of all places in the world, right the other end of my world.

Music is important, very.
Back to top Go down
http://alexandrariera.spaces.live.com/
Sketch

Sketch

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Music and Writing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music and Writing?   Music and Writing? Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 5:23 pm

I get distracted often. If my frog hops from one side of his tank to the other I drift off. So it is very rare but I sometimes do listen to music while writing.
Back to top Go down
Sanareth

Music and Writing? Scribbler-1
Sanareth

Male
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Music and Writing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music and Writing?   Music and Writing? Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2008, 2:30 pm

Foir me, music is inspiring far more often than it is distracting. I find it hard to write in silence, so if my music doesn't inspire then in will normally calm me down and put me in the right frame of mind to write.
Back to top Go down
lackeyagogo

lackeyagogo

Male
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Music and Writing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music and Writing?   Music and Writing? Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2008, 1:18 pm

Sanareth wrote:
Foir me, music is inspiring far more often than it is distracting. I find it hard to write in silence, so if my music doesn't inspire then in will normally calm me down and put me in the right frame of mind to write.

Agreed.

I see you're from Bristol? I don't know what you like, but some old friends are playing round the corner from you. Attrition at The Junction, Stokes on Croft on the 27th I think.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lackeyent
Teele

Music and Writing? Scribbler-1
Teele

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Music and Writing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music and Writing?   Music and Writing? Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2008, 12:44 pm

Music inspires me much more than it distracts, though I say that generally, because I can find lyrics distracting at times. When I'm just writing generally, like here on the forums, I usually have my phones in and my tunes on shuffle; it doesn't really matter. If I need to get in The Zone, though, like when I'm writing my own stories, I'll put something without lyrics on. Classical, or (especially) Celtic works good for this. The only rock I'll really listen to while writing in Deep Hack Mode is Pink Floyd, or something of that nature (melodic more than rhythmic).
Back to top Go down
http://www.theclaybox.ca
Leaka

Music and Writing? Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Music and Writing? Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Music and Writing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music and Writing?   Music and Writing? Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2008, 12:45 pm

I listen to music while I write.
For all I care, music is the gateway to writing. It puts you in this mood and this place you can't explain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Music and Writing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music and Writing?   Music and Writing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Music and Writing?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: Scribbles Cafe'-
Jump to: