Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
okay, Mr. Death, you win… Empty33%okay, Mr. Death, you win… Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
okay, Mr. Death, you win… Empty67%okay, Mr. Death, you win… Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
okay, Mr. Death, you win… Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
okay, Mr. Death, you win… Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
okay, Mr. Death, you win… Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
okay, Mr. Death, you win… Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
okay, Mr. Death, you win… Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
okay, Mr. Death, you win… Emptyokay, Mr. Death, you win… Voting_bar2okay, Mr. Death, you win… Empty 
TerishD (1441)
okay, Mr. Death, you win… Emptyokay, Mr. Death, you win… Voting_bar2okay, Mr. Death, you win… Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

okay, Mr. Death, you win…

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
John Yamrus

okay, Mr. Death, you win… ScribbleSuperr

Male
Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-09-04

okay, Mr. Death, you win… Empty
PostSubject: okay, Mr. Death, you win…   okay, Mr. Death, you win… Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2008, 10:27 am

i’m not so young and stupid
to think you haven’t
stacked the deck.

you own
the house.

you make
the rules.

but today
the victory
is mine.

today i’ve fought you to a standstill.

today
i’ve got this poem…

this glass of wine…

i’ve got
my wife…

my books…

and over there
i’ve got
that stinking,
snoring dog.

that’s victory enough
for me.

today, Mr. Death,
you lose…

and the glory
of the gods
is mine.
Back to top Go down
TerishD

okay, Mr. Death, you win… ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : okay, Mr. Death, you win… Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   okay, Mr. Death, you win… Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2008, 10:32 am

You have a style. The poems are easy to read. The messages are simple. It is slightly refreshing to see that you are not afraid to challenge some usually non-poetry topics. Just letting you know that I did read them, and that I enjoyed them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
John Yamrus

Male

PostSubject: Re: okay, Mr. Death, you win…   okay, Mr. Death, you win… Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2008, 10:59 am

thanks, man. it took me years and years to learn how to throw off any vestiges of other folks' styles. my first few books i came off sounding like a cross between walt whitman and the Beats. it's been in the last 10 years or so that i've finally started to sound only like me.
thanks for the kind words.
john
Back to top Go down
AliceInWonderland

okay, Mr. Death, you win… Scribbler-1
AliceInWonderland

Female
Number of posts : 44
Current Mood : okay, Mr. Death, you win… Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: okay, Mr. Death, you win…   okay, Mr. Death, you win… Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2008, 3:42 pm

Once again this poem is fantastic. As TerishD, I like your style a lot.
The idea behind this poem was the thing making it so fantastic.
Great job.
Did I understand it right? You have already published a book?
Back to top Go down
John Yamrus

Male

PostSubject: Re: okay, Mr. Death, you win…   okay, Mr. Death, you win… Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2008, 4:53 pm

AliceInWonderland wrote:
Once again this poem is fantastic. As TerishD, I like your style a lot.
The idea behind this poem was the thing making it so fantastic.
Great job.
Did I understand it right? You have already published a book?

2 novels, 15 volumes of poetry and closing in on nearly 1,000 poems in magazines around the world. it's really no big deal, really. anyone who approaches it a day at a time...one step at a time...eventually will build up numbers that may at first blush seem impressive. don't forget, i've been publishing now for nearly 40 years. if you're interested, my newest book of poetry is SHOOT THE MOON and it's on barnesandnoble.com.
later this year, or early next year, my Selected Poems is set to be published. also, for a bit more information, you can find a somewhat interesting interview i gave a while back. while i've given others before and since, in that particular interview i sounded almost like i knew what i was talking about. here's the link:

http://www.poetrycircle.com/index.php/topic,2535.0.html?PHPSESSID=275c411607399d02d7e3a333cea98bad
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

okay, Mr. Death, you win… ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : okay, Mr. Death, you win… Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: okay, Mr. Death, you win…   okay, Mr. Death, you win… Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2008, 9:31 pm

I agree, very easy to read and probably what I like most about your work. When most people, usually the non-creative people think poetry they think, mushy love. Nice to see not everyone goes that way.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: okay, Mr. Death, you win…   okay, Mr. Death, you win… Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1