Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
More than Cakes - A short story. Empty33%More than Cakes - A short story. Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
More than Cakes - A short story. Empty67%More than Cakes - A short story. Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
More than Cakes - A short story. Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
More than Cakes - A short story. Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
More than Cakes - A short story. Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
More than Cakes - A short story. Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
More than Cakes - A short story. Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
More than Cakes - A short story. EmptyMore than Cakes - A short story. Voting_bar2More than Cakes - A short story. Empty 
TerishD (1441)
More than Cakes - A short story. EmptyMore than Cakes - A short story. Voting_bar2More than Cakes - A short story. Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

More than Cakes - A short story.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
alexandra

More than Cakes - A short story. ScribbleSuperr
alexandra

Female
Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-08-19

More than Cakes - A short story. Empty
PostSubject: More than Cakes - A short story.   More than Cakes - A short story. Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 12:34 pm

After playing in the locker room with this make a short story or whatever with 3 given words, I had a loose paragraph, so I turned that into a story today, (can’t have a loose paragraph doing nothing in my computer, I’ve got to get it working!)

So let’s see what you think of it. Feel free

NOTE: AFTER COMMENTS I'VE DONE SOME AMMENDMENTS. SO I'VE EDITED THE POST. THE STORY HAS NOW 1210 WORDS INSTEAD OF 1067 WORDS) THANKS FOR PATIENCE

More than cakes
By Alexandra Riera
2008 Alexandra Riera

Marianne felt compelled to travel the world after she had met that man at the bar the previous night. She had only gone in for a quick drink and a chat with her friend Christine. As Marianne waited for Christine to turn up, the man kept staring at her every time he turned around from that bar stool he was sitting on. Marianne wondered why he got away with smoking in the place, there were signs that clearly pointed to even the most stupid person in the whole world that smoking was totally forbidden in the place. Perhaps that man was the owner, she had thought; but even owners had to follow the law. Fed up with the staring and also with the smell of the cigar the man was emanating from his huge cigar, she went over to him.

“What’s up with you mister?”

The man blew the smoke he had obviously been holding in away from her face and made a show of it by making circles. “mmm” he said as he looked her up and down. “Do you come here often? No, of course you don’t. This is the first time I see you here.”

“Excuse me?” asked Marianne.

“Don’t pretend to be deaf Marianne; I’ve seen you tapping your fingers to the rhythm of the music while you waited for your Christine.”

“How do you know?” Asked Marianne who was now beginning to look around in a panic.

“I’m Christine’s pimp.”

Marianne simply froze. As far as she knew Christine wasn’t into that, she worked with her at the bakery and they had been friends for the past year, ever since they met at the bakery. Christine hadn’t worked in her whole life before; she had been a rich spoiled brat that had always had her parents at her beck and call until one day, her father threw her out of the house and told her to get a life. He stopped giving her money and she had to find a job. Marianne recalled how at first, Christine was a bit on the shy side and how Marianne did her best to help her friend over come her shyness by getting to know the members of the opposite sex by coaxing her into going out to different pubs and bars and sometimes even to parties. That had been difficult for the past three months at best of times as Christine was always reading financial newspapers and always talking about the stock exchange. She kept saying she needed to make her own money. Perhaps she had been doing too much of a good job, she wondered.

“I’ve heard a lot about you.” The man said.

Marianne regained her composure and took the stool next to the man as she looked around and made sure the bar was still full of people. “So,” she said, “what have you heard about me?”

“… that you’re not happy with your life, that you want a change.”

“Yes, that’s true, but that doesn’t mean….”

“I know, I know,” interrupted the man, “that doesn’t mean you want a part time job for extra income, I know that…”

“No, of course not” Answered Marianne now beginning to feel uneasy. Perhaps she shouldn’t have approached the man in the first place and she should have walked out of the bar; or better, she should have called Christine and found out why she was late. She put her bag on her lap and started rummaging in it trying to find her mobile phone.

“She’ll tell you she’s moved.” The man said.

“How did you know I was going to call her?”

“It’s only natural. Christine is your friend, you’ve arranged to meet here and instead of her, you find me here. If I were you I’d want to check if I’m telling the truth or not. Go on, go on; give her a call.”

Marianne found her mobile phone and dialled Christine’s number. Seconds later, Christine was on the line.

“Christine? Yes… I’m fine, yes.. Well, no; I’m not fine. Where the hell are you?” she shouted into the phone. “What? Argentina? But Why?? What are you doing there? Alright, I’ll shut up.”

Marianne listened intently to her friend and at the same time glanced at the man sitting next to her who was now lighting another cigar. Minutes later Marianne turned her phone off and put it back in her bag.

“See?” The man told her.

Marianne looked at the man, a mixture of wonder, fright and anger filled her. She was lost for words. She got off the stool.

“Before you leave…..”

Marianne lost it then, she picked up the glass that was on the bar and threw it at him and then turned to leave. She felt a restraining hand on her arm and she tried to break free. People in the bar were already staring and were waiting for something to happen. “Wait,” the man said softly. “Christine gave me this for you.” He pointed to a wooden box on the floor. Marianne stopped struggling.

“What’s this?”

“It’s a box and if you want to know…,” he said as he released her, “I don’t know what’s inside.” He bent down to get the box and then placed it on her stool. “Why don’t you open it?”

Marianne felt the edges of the box, trying to see what was inside as she were psychic but couldn’t feel anything at all to her frustration. She flipped the lid open. Inside there was a little black bag and a note. She picked up the note and read it.

Hello Marianne,

You’ve been a great friend; you’ve helped me get out of my shell and thanks to you I’ve discovered that life has much more to it than what a bakery has and that I can do anything by myself. After sharing your dreams with me and helping me discover mine I’ve decided to actually go and do something about mine.

By the time you get this I will be miles away and hopefully Alvaro will have given you this box. I trust him with my life, he’s my father and I love him even though he’s a bit of a prankster. I left bonds and cash in that bag for you so that you too can follow your dreams. The bakery was fun but as you used to say… There’s more to life than cakes.”

Marianne finished reading the letter and looked inside the little bag. Yes, all was there. “Alvaro?” she asked the man.

“Yes?”

“Why didn’t you tell me you were Christine’s father?”

“Oh, well, a bit of fun never hurt anyone.” He said as he laughed. “Would you like a drink?”

“No, thanks Alvaro; I think I’ll just go home.”

Just as Marianne was leaving the bar, two policemen walked in… “Smoking has been reported here…” she heard them say as the door closed behind her. That Alvaro was going to get fined, she laughed.

The following morning, Marianne packed her cat in her rucksack and Christine’s little black bag together with her the letter and her sleeping bag and she was now on the move. She stuffed her purse and her credit card in her pockets and left the house.

The end
(1210 Words)

© 2008 Alexandra Riera
August 23rd - 2008

Last edited by alexandra on August 25th 2008, 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://alexandrariera.spaces.live.com/
TerishD

More than Cakes - A short story. ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : More than Cakes - A short story. Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   More than Cakes - A short story. Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 7:36 pm

And where did the wealth come from? It is a cute story, but that glaring omission really spoiled my desire to believe in the ending. Oh, and since the man was not the owner or a high-profile pimp, why didn't the employees of the bar stop the man from smoking?

The story does have a good punch and ends with some spirit still active. The characters come acros quickly and do not stretch the setting. I thus enjoyed reading it, but the two questions above had me feeling disappointed at the end.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
alexandra

alexandra

Female

PostSubject: Re: More than Cakes - A short story.   More than Cakes - A short story. Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 4:01 pm

oops! important questions! the answers were in my mind... the father was really a wealthy business man who had originally cut off Christine to make her see the hard part of life on her own and also to learn to be a bit more assertive. That man is also supposed to be the owner of the bar and is allowed to break the rule...

I should have the police arrest him.... I'm going to have to do that now.....

I know exactly where I'll add the explanatory note and also where he gets arrested. I'll do that in the morning before I start on another one. If I'm not wrong I can eddit the original post, right?

thanks a bunch!
Back to top Go down
alexandra

alexandra

Female

PostSubject: Re: More than Cakes - A short story.   More than Cakes - A short story. Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2008, 12:16 pm

OK... Thanks .... I've gone over the missing bits in the story and I think this time it's all included without having had to add lots more words. (I hope)
Back to top Go down
TerishD

More than Cakes - A short story. ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : More than Cakes - A short story. Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   More than Cakes - A short story. Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2008, 1:23 pm

No complaints. I thought it was a cute story, but now is a cute story without problems. By the way, let me compliment you on fixing it. It shows that you are concerned about your writing. I consider that an admirable trait.

Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
alexandra

alexandra

Female

PostSubject: Re: More than Cakes - A short story.   More than Cakes - A short story. Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2008, 4:59 pm

thanks! Now I can think about another one... the next one will have something to do with buddists (I'm sure it's spelt wrong! sorry)

I should also think about the Herald competition story, the limit is 8000 words, gosh, the longest of mine is about 2700! brrrrr! hahahaha not that I'll win, they're very strict! hahaha
Back to top Go down
whitehart

More than Cakes - A short story. NewScribbler-1

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-08-27

PostSubject: Re: More than Cakes - A short story.   More than Cakes - A short story. Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 10:52 am

I read the edited version and I love it. Think the story is very cute, and though the characters aren't introduced fully, or we don't get to know much about them, we at least get the overview of who is who.....which is pretty ok for a short story, I think.
Back to top Go down
http://www.booksie.com/whitehart
alexandra

alexandra

Female

PostSubject: Re: More than Cakes - A short story.   More than Cakes - A short story. Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2008, 8:30 am

thanks Whitenart,

so.... should characters have a bigger indepth thing in short stories? mmmm I think that if I go too much into description then the story gets to be very long...and then it's no longer a short story but a mini novel....

of course I'm not saying how this should be as I haven't got a clue, I just write and enjoy my own stories, I suppose that's like laughing at my own jokes.
Back to top Go down
Chrome

More than Cakes - A short story. Scribbler-1
Chrome

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: More than Cakes - A short story.   More than Cakes - A short story. Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 7:30 am

I think the story is really interesting and compelling. Though, I think that it could've been explained further, but that's probably just me being silly. :P The edited version is great, with a few grammar kinks. I think you can handle that part, though.
Back to top Go down
alexandra

alexandra

Female

PostSubject: Re: More than Cakes - A short story.   More than Cakes - A short story. Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 2:56 am

ooooo! grammar links! Panic! panic! where's the panic button?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More than Cakes - A short story.   More than Cakes - A short story. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More than Cakes - A short story.
Page 1 of 1