Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Helpful Hints Empty33%Helpful Hints Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Helpful Hints Empty67%Helpful Hints Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Helpful Hints Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Helpful Hints Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Helpful Hints Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Helpful Hints Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Helpful Hints Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Helpful Hints EmptyHelpful Hints Voting_bar2Helpful Hints Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Helpful Hints

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kellycakes

Helpful Hints ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Helpful Hints Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Helpful Hints Empty
PostSubject: Helpful Hints   Helpful Hints Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2010, 5:13 pm

10 Nitty-Gritty Hints on Being a Professional Writer...in No Particular Order
by Patrica McLinn

Quote :
1) No agent is always better than the wrong agent. This person will represent you to the publishing world and handle your money -- do your homework *and* listen to your gut.

2) When it comes to writing methods, whatever way works for *you* is the right way -- no matter how vehemently others might tell you that *their* way is THE answer. However, it's only good sense to keep yourself open to the possibility of incorporating improvements to your method. And speaking of other ideas ...

3) Workshops, articles and seminars offer a smorgasbord, not a sit-down dinner. You are under no obligation to take what's put in front of you. Pick and choose what appeals to you. On the other hand, no rule prevents you from passing on something now, but going back to try it later. And if something works great, you can treat yourself to seconds or thirds.

4) Persistence is one thing you can't do without -- you don't lose unless you give up.

5) Write a book that pleases you. That way you're sure to please at least one person. Writing a book with the hope of pleasing a hypothetical editor is almost a sure way to fail.

6) On the other hand, it makes sense to pursue ideas that please you but *also* have potential to be marketed, first to editors and then to readers -- look for where your passion overlaps with the market.

7) All the polish in the world can't save a bad story or weak characters; a good story and strong characters deserve the best polishing possible. (Some readers don't care about polish if they feel "swept away" by the story's heart -- you won't lose those readers by having a technically well-written book, but you *will* lose readers who demand that a book have both heart and mind.)

8) When you solve a problem in a book, that exact problem is almost guaranteed to never arise again. Do not despair. You might never use that solution again, but you have gained confidence that you will (eventually) find a solution when other problems hit.

9) The business of publishing is separate and different from the writing. You have very little control over the business and it is specifically designed to, in the most efficient way possible, send writers to the mental ward or the poorhouse, and often both.

10) Because of No. 9, a writer who does not enjoy, crave or require the *process* of writing would be much better off finding another business -- there are a lot of easier and more lucrative ways to drive yourself crazy. But if it's the process that drives you, then there's only one way to satisfy that craving:
*** WRITE ***
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
TerishD

Helpful Hints ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Helpful Hints Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Helpful Hints Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Helpful Hints Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2010, 11:41 pm