Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Homophone Game Empty33%Homophone Game Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Homophone Game Empty67%Homophone Game Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Homophone Game Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Homophone Game Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Homophone Game Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Homophone Game Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Homophone Game Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Homophone Game EmptyHomophone Game Voting_bar2Homophone Game Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Homophone Game

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kellycakes

Homophone Game ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Homophone Game Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Homophone Game Empty
PostSubject: Homophone Game   Homophone Game Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2009, 11:47 pm

Quote :
A homophone is a word that is pronounced the same as another word but differs in meaning. The words may be spelled the same, such as rose (flower) and rose (past tense of "rise"), or differently, such as carat, caret, and carrot, or to, two and too. A homophone is a type of homonym, although sometimes homonym is used to refer only to homophones that have the same spelling but different meanings. The term may also be used to apply to units shorter than words, such as letters or groups of letters that are pronounced the same as another letter or group of letters.

Exp: He slowly peeled the husk from the corn stalk as he followed her home, his eyes traveled down the base of her spine to the little open area at the small of her back, she knew she was being stalked but it didn’t bother her much. (Stalk –ed-ing-er-s was used twice in the few sentences, and could very easily been used a few more times.)

The object of the game is to formulate a paragraph; containing at least 2 homophones. However if you can go right ahead and add as many as you want. This is suppose to teach writers how not to repeat themselves a thousand times in their work; therefore extending the editing process. Does this little game work? Let’s find out together.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
Skwerly

Homophone Game Scribbler-1
Skwerly

Male
Number of posts : 79
Current Mood : Homophone Game Th_tha10
Registration date : 2009-06-21

Homophone Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homophone Game   Homophone Game Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2009, 7:34 pm

The man moved through the unfamiliar city streets like a Corvette in a traffic jam and thought, MAN! If only I could find an address! He noticed the flaking paint on most of the buildings, and thought he might be in a bad area. He hoped to arrive before dark. He hoped to arrive at all, at that point. He hated being a flake. He looked up and could see the first faint star poking through the blueish landscape of the sky. He heard someone yell at him to watch it just before he fell down, seeing stars in his eyes.

Usage: man, flake, star Smile
Back to top Go down

Homophone Game
Page 1 of 1