Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
This Giant Decision Empty33%This Giant Decision Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
This Giant Decision Empty67%This Giant Decision Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
This Giant Decision EmptyThis Giant Decision Voting_bar2This Giant Decision Empty 
TerishD (1441)
This Giant Decision EmptyThis Giant Decision Voting_bar2This Giant Decision Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

This Giant Decision

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Leaka

This Giant Decision Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : This Giant Decision Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

This Giant Decision Empty
PostSubject: This Giant Decision   This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2008, 11:37 pm

Okay, I have to start thinking of career path. And as I said I want to become a writer. Now I want to get a job that exposes me to publishers, agents, and media.
Because with media exposure I can get to be a creative writer faster. Yeah I know, but I don't want a picture of me old and wrinkly on the back of some cover. As I have said to many people I want to die at thirty-eight because I don't want to degrade and have people take care of me. And I don't want to always look in the mirror with these thoughts I know I will have.
Anyway,I need some help when it comes to a major.

If I get a journalism major I can use it to become a journalist and that might possibly get me the exposure I need. Would I still be able to be a creative writer?
If I get an English major though that is more used to be a creative writer and an author. But would they still except that to become a journalist?
Back to top Go down
TerishD

This Giant Decision ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : This Giant Decision Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2008, 8:03 am

It is going to take work either way. Journalism is a very competitive field. Not only that, but it demands your writing talent. You could thus find yourself coming home each evening too tired of writing to write. English is a more popular degree than you might believe (it requires little to no math). My degree is Physics, and the schools grabbed me because they needed those of my certification. English teachers however are rather common. You will thus find yourself a fish in a large pond.

Don't believe that there is an easy path. I also believe that those that gain an easy path are cursed because the fates have decided that they are only worthy of an easy life. I look at the rough road that I have traveled (and still travel) as an affirmation that I am worthy of being challenged. Such gives me hope that I won't be bored in the afterlife.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
HYdraMStar

This Giant Decision Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : This Giant Decision Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: This Giant Decision   This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2008, 5:58 pm

Well, if you're thinking either of these degrees are going to lead you to a quick and easy path to wealth and free time that will support your creative writing I fear you are going to be disappointed either way.

Journalism seems like the way to go, if you are wanting to write for a living, but I don't know realistically how much it's going help you with getting your foot in the door of book/story publishing. Odds are you'll end up spending at least the first few years (read as decades) of your career working long hours for some local rage and/or if you are lucky get freelance work here and there with more respected and widely read publications. It's like TerishD said, Journalism is just as competitive a field as fiction writing and you might find yourself drained from writing for a living and fighting for space on the page.

My eldest step-sister has a degree in English. She worked as a grade school teacher until she had her own children and now their school has the best written PTA literature in her county. So, again, what TerishD said is true. A good portion of the many people who get English degrees end up teaching, which might suite you just fine.

I'd say find someone who can give you some hard statistics on what to expect job wise with each degree or even talk to people who have these degrees, someone at your school should be able to hook you up with this, and ask them what the first ten or fifteen years of their careers were like. After all if you're placing a time limit on yourself you're going to want to concern yourself mostly with what you can do in the first decade or so after earning your degree.

Best of luck to you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Leaka

Leaka

Male

PostSubject: Re: This Giant Decision   This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2008, 9:07 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:
Well, if you're thinking either of these degrees are going to lead you to a quick and easy path to wealth and free time that will support your creative writing I fear you are going to be disappointed either way.
I don't like this part for some reasons.
Writing has never been about fame, wealth, or anything like that.
It has always been for me, to express and share with people.
But the only way that can happen is if my writing is out to the public.
I don't have much time, since I will make it possible that I die young rather then old.
So I have to get my word out there before I leave.
I only have 21 years to tell people stories and tell people ideas.
And give people something they don't normally see.

I don't want to be a teacher, I can barely stand kids my own age.
I don't like to teach.

The problem is there is no job for me, I hate working with people. I want to be able to work with people with as little time as possible. Only work with people when its only needed and when its important.
I'm an independent person and I don't want to work in a business, or an office.
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : This Giant Decision Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2008, 11:57 pm

I hope that you like math, because an accountant is the way to go. Boring as hell, but it pays well and you spend a lot of time punching numbers in your own private corner. At the end of your time you are eager to do something else, especially write about all the stuff you were imagining while crunching numbers.

I did that in a general way. I was a computer programmer for companies. They stuck me back in some unused office where I wrote and maintained report programs. Teaching is just what I do when the computer market is poor.

From what you are saying, you would probably like being an accountant. As for writing, join me in regular posts to the internet. Find your sites (I try to maintain 3, although with the chaos of the internet I often will seek a fourth). I usually keep two different stories active (at present there is only one, but this is not an easy story). If you try the publishing route, it is stifling and really does not pay the bills.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Leaka

Leaka

Male

PostSubject: Re: This Giant Decision   This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2008, 12:31 am

TerishD wrote:
I hope that you like math, because an accountant is the way to go. Boring as hell, but it pays well and you spend a lot of time punching numbers in your own private corner. At the end of your time you are eager to do something else, especially write about all the stuff you were imagining while crunching numbers.

I did that in a general way. I was a computer programmer for companies. They stuck me back in some unused office where I wrote and maintained report programs. Teaching is just what I do when the computer market is poor.

From what you are saying, you would probably like being an accountant. As for writing, join me in regular posts to the internet. Find your sites (I try to maintain 3, although with the chaos of the internet I often will seek a fourth). I usually keep two different stories active (at present there is only one, but this is not an easy story). If you try the publishing route, it is stifling and really does not pay the bills.

Yuck, I'm terrible at math.
I'm deficient in my math credits and its probably the thing I hate the most.
Math is yucky.
I like the basic stuff, the stuff you need for everyday life, but anything far more complicated then plus, minus, times, divide, mean, median, and mode is not my thing.
I hate quradic fractions, I hate everything to do with numbers.
Blugh!
An accountant isn't my thing.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : This Giant Decision Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: This Giant Decision   This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2008, 10:12 am

Have you considered Vo-Tech (like Apex Tech) to work on say, repairing diesel engines, or doing car body work? After all they all need their cars fixed.

If that is not your thing, try something like fine arts and do book covers for them, or something along those lines, that is a good way to get to know people and gets your name out.

Another option is of course to get a printing degree, and become a publisher if you are driven enough for it.

But degree is not going to give you a meal ticket, or get you into the "Fast Track" after all that is the dream of everyone else in the same class with you.

Look at jobs that put you in the field.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Leaka

Leaka

Male

PostSubject: Re: This Giant Decision   This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2008, 12:24 pm

Urs wrote:
Have you considered Vo-Tech (like Apex Tech) to work on say, repairing diesel engines, or doing car body work? After all they all need their cars fixed.

If that is not your thing, try something like fine arts and do book covers for them, or something along those lines, that is a good way to get to know people and gets your name out.

Another option is of course to get a printing degree, and become a publisher if you are driven enough for it.

But degree is not going to give you a meal ticket, or get you into the "Fast Track" after all that is the dream of everyone else in the same class with you.

Look at jobs that put you in the field.

I can't draw, the only thing that I can do is stick figures.
I'm not interested in mechanics.
That is what I am trying to do, I'm using the degree to get me into a job that gets me in the field so that way I can be exposed.

I'm not that kind of person.
Why did you even get an idea like that?
Why does everyone think I'm doing it for the negative side of the life?
As I have said I only have 21 years to make this dream come true.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: This Giant Decision   This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2008, 6:43 pm

I would suggest a degree in printing or liberal arts. With that you are going to be involved in the publishing/writing field.

I would suggest also talking with your carrier counselor at school, they can help you out with decisions like this and maybe even recommend a good school for you to go to regarding your desired profession. After all, that is what they are supposed to be there for.
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Leaka

Male

PostSubject: Re: This Giant Decision   This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2008, 11:17 pm

Urs wrote:
I would suggest a degree in printing or liberal arts. With that you are going to be involved in the publishing/writing field.

I would suggest also talking with your carrier counselor at school, they can help you out with decisions like this and maybe even recommend a good school for you to go to regarding your desired profession. After all, that is what they are supposed to be there for.

I'll check it out and such.
And I will talk to my counselor, there is no way my family would understand.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: This Giant Decision   This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2008, 8:35 am

Talk to your counselor, perhaps take a career text or something as well. These will help you find your strong skills and points.

It is after all, what they are there for, and they can reassure your parents that you can make good money.
Back to top Go down
Joe

This Giant Decision NewScribbler-1

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: This Giant Decision   This Giant Decision Icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2008, 7:03 pm

I think the English major would be the best choice if writing is what you want to do. I think writing biographies is one of the best ways to get your name out there. Famous people like to tell their stories and a degree in English would be what they are looking for. Once you are in the door with one or two biographies you can make a smooth change to what you want to write. Besides, you should get a good wage that could cover your creative writing time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This Giant Decision   This Giant Decision Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This Giant Decision
Page 1 of 1