Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Help Me Pick (very important) Empty33%Help Me Pick (very important) Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Help Me Pick (very important) Empty67%Help Me Pick (very important) Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Help Me Pick (very important) EmptyHelp Me Pick (very important) Voting_bar2Help Me Pick (very important) Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Help Me Pick (very important) EmptyHelp Me Pick (very important) Voting_bar2Help Me Pick (very important) Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Help Me Pick (very important)

Go down 
+2
TerishD
HYdraMStar
6 posters

Which do you like best?
Full Color
Help Me Pick (very important) Empty11%Help Me Pick (very important) Empty
 11% [ 1 ]
Black & White
 11% [ 1 ]
Sepia Tone
 11% [ 1 ]
Spooky Sepia Tone
Help Me Pick (very important) Empty56%Help Me Pick (very important) Empty
 56% [ 5 ]
None of the above
 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage
HYdraMStar

Help Me Pick (very important) Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Help Me Pick (very important) Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Help Me Pick (very important) Empty
PostSubject: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2008, 7:31 pm

I've been working on getting a head shot or something of the line for the cover of my upcoming novel, The Reluctant Prince: Book I of The Infernal Empire, and I think I'm nearly there. I have it narrowed down to one picture, but there are four different versions of it I like.

So, tell me which you like best.

Full Color:
Help Me Pick (very important) 100_0911

Black & White:
Help Me Pick (very important) 100_0912

Sepia Tone:
Help Me Pick (very important) 100_0913

Spooky Sepia Tone:
Help Me Pick (very important) 100_0914

Last edited by HYdraMStar on November 4th 2008, 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
TerishD

Help Me Pick (very important) ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Help Me Pick (very important) Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2008, 7:35 pm

Well, what type of story is it?

Now, I am anti-black and white. B&W looks so unprofessional, like you did it with your cheap laser printer. I thus nix the B&W. Are you doing historic fiction? If you are, then sepia is all right. I believe that you are doing horror, so that 'spooky sepia' could work. I still voted for color.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2008, 7:37 pm

I think dark fantasy is the best way to classify it, but I generally hate genre labels.

Thanks for voting!
Back to top Go down
Snacker

Help Me Pick (very important) ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : Help Me Pick (very important) Caring10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2008, 7:57 pm

All of those pictures of you look good, but since you write dark fantasy I'd pick 'Spooky Sepia Tone'.

Do you already know what the whole books color's gonna be? If it's a black it would look awesome with the spooky one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2008, 8:04 pm

There are still some issue with the proposed cover art, but cover will be either black with green or black with gold/tan and green.
Back to top Go down
Snacker

Snacker

Male

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2008, 8:28 pm

Yeah so definitely the spooky one. Right now it has a kinda yellow tone to it, what if you'd change that to a greenish one? How I imagine it right now it looks pretty cool too. Might be worth a try!
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

Help Me Pick (very important) ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Help Me Pick (very important) Th_wel10

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2008, 10:18 pm

I like the spooky one the best. It makes things a bit mysterious.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
Leaka

Help Me Pick (very important) Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Help Me Pick (very important) Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2008, 2:30 am

I just like the regular sepia tone.
Just because its a dark fantasy doesn't mean that it always has to have spooky in it or the picture itself has to be scary.
I find what scares me the most is the unexpected of what is to be scary.
And that is why I chose regular sepia tone.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2008, 3:20 am

Here is the sepia tone with a 'spotlight':
Help Me Pick (very important) 100_0915

It is sort of between the regular sepia tone and the 'spooky' one.

And the full color with the spotlight:
Help Me Pick (very important) 100_0916
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2008, 3:30 am

Kellycakes wrote:
I like the spooky one the best. It makes things a bit mysterious.

Yeah, see, that's sort of what I'm going for. I don't really like too many pictures of myself and I think I like that one because it is a bit more surreal then the other or just a standard straight forward head shot. It's the one I was learning towards before posting, but I wanted to get some outside opinions on them before making any final choices, you know?

Thanks everyone for your advice. I really do appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Help Me Pick (very important) Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Help Me Pick (very important) Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2008, 11:31 pm

I still like regular sepia tone.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Help Me Pick (very important) Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2008, 7:16 pm

I would suggest a little less bust in the shot, trim the bottom off and bring the center of the fade to the center of your face , most notably your eyes, as opposed to your lips and neck being the highlight point.

That way you have the full head shot while your body fades away in the nifty fade to black effect.

As for tone, I like the Normal Sepia Tone as the spooky one gives you an orange/yellow glow to your body which reminds me of liver failure (that might be just a personal thing on my part).

In any regard, I would suggest playing with crop and center tools to ensure you give a full head shot and then fade from view.

Also if you changed the center point to your eyes the full color might also look really sweet, give it a try and see what you think.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2008, 8:49 pm

Urs wrote:
I would suggest a little less bust in the shot, trim the bottom off and bring the center of the fade to the center of your face , most notably your eyes, as opposed to your lips and neck being the highlight point.

That way you have the full head shot while your body fades away in the nifty fade to black effect.

As for tone, I like the Normal Sepia Tone as the spooky one gives you an orange/yellow glow to your body which reminds me of liver failure (that might be just a personal thing on my part).

In any regard, I would suggest playing with crop and center tools to ensure you give a full head shot and then fade from view.

Also if you changed the center point to your eyes the full color might also look really sweet, give it a try and see what you think.

I actually tried cropping the image off at the bottom and I HATED it, but then I in general don't like close up shots of just my face.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2008, 4:11 am

I don't think either of these are exactly professional looking for a book cover, but I really like each of them in their own odd ways.

Help Me Pick (very important) 100_0610

Help Me Pick (very important) 100_0410

Help Me Pick (very important) 100_0510
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2008, 9:53 am

The top or bottom one's would be the most appropriate for a "author photo"

But with the top one, again I would suggest the center be on your eyes not your lips.Is there a way for you to change the focal point of the fade?
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Reply   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2008, 11:16 am

Truthfully, Hydra, I am glad that you are proud of the way that you look, but those pictures do not flatter you (that shaved head look -- well, no). I would not use any of them. As a general opinion, these pictures look defiant and uncaring (and the second one is just grainy, which gives the impression of cheap). They would probably scare away interested readers and entice none (those that purchased your book will be won over by the blurb).

Yep, that is my opinion, but I suspected such was what you wanted.
Back to top Go down
Snacker

Snacker

Male

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2008, 2:32 pm

I agree with Terish, I mean they are beautiful in its own way but I wouldn't pick one of them for a author photo on a book. I don't think that they would scare away the people, but the ones you put up first are more professional. You can see who you really are on the first ones but in a professional way.

I like all pictures of you, because they show all your different faces, which is very impressive, but wouldn't pick 'em for a book.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2008, 3:43 pm

I agree with you on all points except TerishD saying my hair style is unflattering and/or might be a turn off for people or not draw them in, because the real life reaction has been so far in the other direction I even find it a little unreal at times myself.

Just last night I ran down to the Target to get some things and three different prefect strangers walked up to me and told me how much that loved my hair. I just about had to stop using one grocery store because one of the clerks damn near started stalking me after I cut it he liked it so much. I got neighbors (plural) who I've lived on the same block with for years now, but who suddenly after I cut my hair want to hang out with me and give me free books. And these aren't all young people or kids or 'punks' or anything like that. Some of them have been men and women who are old enough to be my parent or even grandparent; all races, all genders. It's insane.

Maybe it's just one of those things that doesn't translate into photos well (which I personally don't think it does), or it's a personal taste issue, but when I go out and DON'T want to draw flattery or attention from others is when I wear my hair down or put on a hat. Otherwise, I can about promise you someone is going to stop me.
Back to top Go down
Snacker

Snacker

Male

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2008, 4:21 pm

I don't think that it would stop people from buying your books. It might sell even better, you never know. Since your second part of pictures look kinda unique and interesting as well, it might be that even people who never really read a book stop and buy it. Everything is possible, even with a picture other people think wouldn't pick for a book photo.

Well if you want to see how good your book would sell with one of the other pictures, you can pick on of them, but if you want to be certain about it, I'd pick one of the first ones.

Like I said before, they all look good. You're lucky because you have the ability to wear your hair whatever style you'd like to. Not a lot of people can do that. But I'm sure that people come up to you and tell you they like your hair. I think that;'s awesome!
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Reply   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2008, 7:30 pm

Yeah, well, I HOLD TO MY OPINION. It is my opinion, and I am proud of it. I call it George and love it and pet it.

Hair styles are hair styles. I have mine slightly long at the moment, and I like it that way.

I let you know my opinion. As I said, I figure it is what you expect. If I didn't, I would be in wrong. Still, it is MY opinion, and YOUR decision. I wish you well.

I course, I could treat you like they treat me in the education system. They tell me their way. If my works, they do not admit that I might be right - only that it SEEMS to work for me. Now, if my way does not work, WELL, they let me know BIG TIME that I was WRONG. No, I will not treat you that way. If your way does not work, I will sympathize with you and praise you for trying.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2008, 7:55 pm

No, TerishD, I do respect your opinion and more so the fact that you are person who recognizes that your opinions are just that OPINIONS. So, I'll never give you a hard time for having one. It was just SO disagreeable with what has been my experience with this hairstyle and people's reaction. Otherwise, I'd be the first person to admit that something I've done or said is a turn off to the masses.

Also, just so you guys get an idea of what a shock my haircut was to the people around me, here's what it was before... for years.

Help Me Pick (very important) 000_0510

But then of course I had the dreads for about a year in-between.

Help Me Pick (very important) 000_1110
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2008, 8:16 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:
I don't think either of these are exactly professional looking for a book cover, but I really like each of them in their own odd ways.

Help Me Pick (very important) 100_0610
I think this one would be the best, because it demands that you "Look into my eyes and see the soul of the creator" or something along those lines.

Again however I would say try to make the highlight around your eyes (I know I sound like a broken record).

Like anything a Book has a target audience, the people that would enjoy reading this type of work. In that regard you want to appeal to them in your writing and your image.

With that said, I like this image because I feel a sense of madness when I look at it which might attract your target audience. (Since I do not know what makes up this audience my feelings and knowledge on this matter are highly limited)
Back to top Go down
Snacker

Snacker

Male

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2008, 8:53 pm

Urs has a good point there. It might be a good idea doing it the way he just suggested it.

Btw...I think you look so much better with short hair. And you can tell that you've lost weight. Very nice Hydra.
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

PostSubject: Reply   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2008, 11:03 pm

Keep working at whatever you are doing, Hydra. You have my support.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2008, 11:22 pm

Snacker wrote:
...And you can tell that you've lost weight. Very nice Hydra.

That may be part of the different reaction form people I'm getting as well. Twisted Evil

... and thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Me Pick (very important)   Help Me Pick (very important) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help Me Pick (very important)
Page 1 of 1