Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Pick and Choose Empty33%Pick and Choose Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Pick and Choose Empty67%Pick and Choose Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Pick and Choose EmptyPick and Choose Voting_bar2Pick and Choose Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Pick and Choose

Go down 
+5
Poet
whitehart
HYdraMStar
TerishD
Kellycakes
9 posters

Which of these is your choice?
Love
Pick and Choose Empty25%Pick and Choose Empty
 25% [ 3 ]
Dark
Pick and Choose Empty33%Pick and Choose Empty
 33% [ 4 ]
Sad
Pick and Choose Empty8%Pick and Choose Empty
 8% [ 1 ]
Humor
Pick and Choose Empty17%Pick and Choose Empty
 17% [ 2 ]
Inspirational
Pick and Choose Empty17%Pick and Choose Empty
 17% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
Kellycakes

Pick and Choose ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Pick and Choose Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Pick and Choose Empty
PostSubject: Pick and Choose   Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2008, 2:27 am

If you only have the following options to choose from in which category would you write?
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
TerishD

Pick and Choose ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Pick and Choose Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Pick and Choose Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2008, 7:54 am

As quirky as my stories are, those are not limits. The two I have going elsewhere I can claim as love stories. One has a strong love story going between two major characters. The other does not have the love theme as strong, but it is present. I could claim the story that I have here to be inspirational. I know others that whatever they write has a dark edge to it. A good novel or drama has elements of most of those things present.

It is the setting that I feel would be more limiting. Asking me to choose between Space Stations, Apartment Complexes, Underground Communes, and Desert Nomadic Tents would force me to think. Your list would only influence how I tweaked (or promoted) a story.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
HYdraMStar

Pick and Choose Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Pick and Choose Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Pick and Choose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick and Choose   Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2008, 8:29 am

I don't do 'sad'. Sad for the glory of being sad is tripe.

I certainly don't aim to do 'love' in any sort of traditional sense, but sometimes it comes through despite my efforts.

'Inspirational', me? If by inspire you mean grabbing people by the head of their hair and shake them until all thoughts of a high power swooping in an saving them ooze out their ears and they stumble away knowing that only they, and the larger public as a whole, can repair what's wrong with themselves and this dying world, then yes I try to be inspirational.

Humor, sometimes I've said that 90% of what comes out of my mouth, and pen, is a joke. That I don't take anything in life seriously, because nothing deserves to be taken seriously, but for the most part my humor is lost on other people.

So, I answered 'dark', because 'Dark fiction', horror, and science fiction are about the only genres I read and about all I have any passion for writing. So, it seemed like the obvious choice among those listed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Kellycakes

Pick and Choose ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Pick and Choose Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Pick and Choose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick and Choose   Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2008, 8:33 pm

I think each of these have their places in writing. I wouldn't personally call sad tripe, mainly because writing is what helped me get through what I like to call the 'depressive' years. Most of what I produced during that time was sad and sucidal. Horrible writing and some of it a bit scary but like I said I think it has its place. A lot of young teenagers write that depressive and sad stuff for attention.

Inspiration is great; I love reading 'How To', and spiritual books especially concerning Seers, Lightworking, Wicca and Pagan. I think one day I would like to share my spiritual experiences with the world through a novel. Because most religions are so broad containing my beliefs (which are not situated in one particular area) would be very frustrating and time consuming.

Humor is always fun and I think that everything we read has some form of humor in it. Dark is the open category for me, it can contain all the other categories and still be dark.

Love is the ultimate category, in my opinion. It is also an open category as well, it can be dark, humerous and or sad and still end in a loving, they lived happily ever after. Ok, I'm done rambling. I would choose love, probably because it is the easiest.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

Pick and Choose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick and Choose   Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2008, 1:01 am

Kellycakes wrote:
I think each of these have their places in writing. I wouldn't personally call sad tripe, mainly because writing is what helped me get through what I like to call the 'depressive' years. Most of what I produced during that time was sad and sucidal. Horrible writing and some of it a bit scary but like I said I think it has its place. A lot of young teenagers write that depressive and sad stuff for attention.

You're right writing can be a great way of dealing with and getting over depression. But a lot of the 'dark poets and writers' I run across seem more or less to be wallowing in their sadness. It's like a badge of honor. You can't even have a conversation with them without them reminding you every five minutes how hard their life has been. We've all had bad stuff happen to us. Some of us have had worse things then others. Everyone hurts, as the song goes. So, no, expressing true sadness isn't tripe, but thinking that sadness is a state that should be held onto is... And yeah, I realize you basically just said this same thing, but I felt like saying it too. :P
Back to top Go down
whitehart

Pick and Choose NewScribbler-1

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Pick and Choose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick and Choose   Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 10:11 am

Humour and love would mostly be what I write about. Sometimes I end up with pieces that happen to be an inspiration to the readers...though that may not have been what I had in mind when writing it. I love writing humanitarian stuff, like putting myself in the hawkers shoes, or a streetboy...but I mostly write about love with laces of humour in some of them. I just happen to be able to relate to it more. I have tried writing dark before, it wasn't so bad, but it wasn't one of my favourites either. Good thing though is I read a wider variety than the one I write.
Back to top Go down
http://www.booksie.com/whitehart
Poet

Pick and Choose Scribbler-1
Poet

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Pick and Choose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick and Choose   Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 5:02 pm

I think a lot of the of these topics have been done and over done. Inspirational topics are usually left to the more religious people. And for those of us with odd or taboo religious beliefs we don't have enough reading material. So we have to write our own stories.
Back to top Go down
Sketch

Pick and Choose NewScribbler-1
Sketch

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Pick and Choose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick and Choose   Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 5:07 pm

Funny always make people happy!
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

Pick and Choose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick and Choose   Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 7:52 pm

Poet wrote:
...And for those of us with odd or taboo religious beliefs we don't have enough reading material. So we have to write our own stories.

You certainly said a mouthful there.

It's actually just that which set me off writing my fantasy series, The Infernal Empire.
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Pick and Choose Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Pick and Choose Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Pick and Choose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick and Choose   Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeSeptember 30th 2008, 9:07 pm

I like dark.
Because without darkness there is no light.
Therefore if we just have light we have no darkness.
And if we just have darkness we have no life.
Both coexist and balance each other out very nicely.
[This made no sense]
Back to top Go down
Chrome

Pick and Choose Scribbler-1
Chrome

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Pick and Choose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick and Choose   Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2008, 6:17 am

I don't write love stories wholly. I write stories with love stories in them, basically because I want to change the image of love in people's minds nowadays. So I'll cut that out.

What do you mean by dark? Gore and horror, and the like? I personally love horror and thriller, but I've never have tried to actually put it to paper. Gore, yes, for my latest novel it was necessary. I must say I'm pretty dark in that regard.

By sad if it means endless pain and struggle which ends in pile of dirt then no. I have depressing and intense stories, but the message is always cheery, and the end is happy. I do it on purpose, so as to show that after every dark night there's a sunrise. Also, what we dislike isn't necessarily sad. We just need to look at life differently.

Humor? I just write down without any specific intention of humor, and all my readers say I have written a bit of humor. Humor just happens. Not an intention.

Inspirational is my main stream. If the story has love, sad stuff, darkness or even humor, its all for making it inspirational. For letting the reader explore the parts of his thinking he shut down, and to look at life in a different angle. So to inspiration.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Pick and Choose ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Pick and Choose Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Pick and Choose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick and Choose   Pick and Choose Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2008, 5:02 pm

I said "sad" because the stories I have written have been tragedies.

Not sure if that counts as "Sad" but that was as close as I could find to what a Tragedy was.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

Pick and Choose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick and Choose   Pick and Choose Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pick and Choose
Page 1 of 1