Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Empty33%Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Empty67%Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver EmptySadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Voting_bar2Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver EmptySadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Voting_bar2Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver

Go down 
+3
John Yamrus
HYdraMStar
dancinginrainbows
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dancinginrainbows

Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver NewScribbler-1

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Empty
PostSubject: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 23rd 2008, 5:40 pm

pt. 1
before the deluge

Hash smoke danced on my tongue
and the tongues of my friends,
dancing forwards
to Springs end,

I walked, listening to songs,
Jackson Browne’s Late for the Sky,
with that feeling of belonging
and the thought of summertime.

pt. 2
the load-out

I lost those friends,
some time along the summer,
Nature brought me to her side
and asked me to help her,

I broke free from Manchester.
Now Manchester remembers.

So September smiles
come forced and polite;
the sky above me is black
but the hours of the night
are dwindling,
with the spread of sunlight.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 23rd 2008, 11:30 pm

I don't understand the title at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
dancinginrainbows

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2008, 7:04 am

You either haven't seen Taxi Driver, haven't paid enough attention to it, or don't know much Jackson Browne.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2008, 8:03 am

dancinginrainbows wrote:
You either haven't seen Taxi Driver, haven't paid enough attention to it, or don't know much Jackson Browne.

Don't know any Jackson Browne, besides the name.

Haven't seen the movie in years and years, and don't believe I watched it all the way through even then.

I'm not a pop culture sort of person, sorry.
Back to top Go down
dancinginrainbows

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2008, 9:56 am

Jackson Browne is far, far more than pop culture.

I'd say the movie is too.

Anyways, Late for the Sky is the song that the people are dancing to on the TV when the guy from Taxi Driver decides to go out and kill.
Back to top Go down
John Yamrus

Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver ScribbleSuperr

Male
Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2008, 10:16 pm

sadly, the title is the only interesting thing about this poem. the rest is pure and absolute crap.
this one's certainly not a keeper.
Back to top Go down
Oceanwhisper

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2008, 10:40 pm

I'm with Hydra, I'm afraid. I don't know the movie or Jackson Browne well enough to feel anything from this one.
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2008, 11:06 pm

John, you have every right to critique, but a little less vulgarity and a little more tack can go a long way. We DO not want to hurt peoples feeling but instead allow them to learn from mistakes and accept praise for things they've done well.

About the piece: I have no clue, I'm unfamiliar with the movie, artist and song.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
dancinginrainbows

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 12:09 pm

John Yamrus wrote:
sadly, the title is the only interesting thing about this poem. the rest is pure and absolute crap.
this one's certainly not a keeper.

Thank you for being an absolute twat. You've really helped.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 4:42 pm

Dancinginrainbows and Kellycakes, I can understand your reaction to John's reactions, and while it is not as constructive as maybe I even myself would have liked, if that is his honest reaction then he has every right to it and every right to post it.

That is what we want here, right? People's honest reaction to our work. Well, sometimes that reaction isn't going to be favorable.

With that thought in mind, John shouldn't get anymore flack for what he posted then someone who post something no more constructive then blanket praise like, "nice poem."
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 4:44 pm

Oh, and by the way, I didn't think the poem was horrible. I just didn't understand the title... which I still don't and don't think I will anytime soon as I have no plans to see the movie. pirat
Back to top Go down
John Yamrus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 5:04 pm

you're right, i could have used a LOT more tact. i could have given my opinion on the merits (or lack thereof) without being so totally dismissive. that being said, the poems still sucked. it is what it is. the last stanza was decent, but it was too little, too late.
john
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Th_wel10

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 5:12 pm

Here is the thing. We do want honest opinions of our audience, however; using words like 'sucked' or 'crap' isn't really useful. They way he stated his opinion seemed more like a finger pointing in her face saying 'you suck, never write anything again'.

Scribbles is here to encourage writers, not demean them. If that was your honest opinion and you don't have any better way to state it, then don't state it at all because I don't want members crying over hurt feelings when they are suppose to be writing and being productive.

As writers we have to have tough skin but stabbing someone through the heart with a knife is still going to kill them. I haven't censored anyones comments or word choices but if you feel belittling other writers is acceptable, let me show you the door.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
John Yamrus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 5:16 pm

it was certainly not my intent to attack the author. if that's the way it was taken, i'm very very sorry. from here on, for as long as i'm on this forum, i'll refrain from posting my opinions on anyone's poetry unless specifically asked for it.
once again, i'm sorry if my comments were misunderstood.
jy
Back to top Go down
Snacker

Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Caring10

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 5:21 pm

John, nobody told you to stop posting your comments, what we want is to pick your words more carefully.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
John Yamrus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 5:33 pm

you're totally correct.
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 5:50 pm

All though I haven't seen the movie or anything. And I didn't get the title. I get a story and I get a vision of what you are trying to accomplish.
And I like it, very much.
Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
dancinginrainbows

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 6:08 pm

Guy on last page: I understand why you wrote that comment and think that's fine, but you could think about your word choice a little bit more. I don't expect you to know that I'm breaking down every day, that people i know are all thinking of depression diagnosis's, and that this poem is an absolutely pathetic attempt to try and get some of that crap out of me, but thinking about what you post before you post i might help you and everyone else.

Bugger it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver   Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sadly, his favorite movie is Taxi Driver
Page 1 of 1