Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Empty33%Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Empty67%Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Whats' Your Favorite Quote? EmptyWhats' Your Favorite Quote? Voting_bar2Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Whats' Your Favorite Quote? EmptyWhats' Your Favorite Quote? Voting_bar2Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Whats' Your Favorite Quote?

Go down 
+8
Leaka
x_paramore
Urs
soujiroseta
Bick
Phalen Schuyler
VergilSparda
Kellycakes
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Kellycakes

Whats' Your Favorite Quote? ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Empty
PostSubject: Whats' Your Favorite Quote?   Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2008, 4:02 am

I love quotes, and I mean quotes about everything, especially inspirational.

Here is one of my favorites: "Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart." ~William Wordsworth

So do you have any quotes that inspire you? Tell us one of your favorite quotes.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
VergilSparda

Whats' Your Favorite Quote? NewScribbler-1
VergilSparda

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Whats' Your Favorite Quote?   Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2008, 10:26 pm

Arkham: Soon we will reach the lair of judgement. Temen-ni-gru will finally regain it's full function and lead us into the demon world. The world where Sparda's power has been sealed. Hm...and the one to lift the incantation is you...his own son...it must be fate.

Vergil: Does that woman really bother you?

Arkham: What are you talking about?

Vergil:Why didn't you kill her? Perhaps because she is your daughter? Did some pesky fatherly love get in your way?

Arkham: That's none of your-

*Arkham is stabbed by Vergil*

Vergil: To further your studies of the black arts, you srarcrificed your loving wife to become a demon as well. Knowing this I thought that you would be more useful to me...*stabs Arkham deeper* But I was wrong...No wonder your atainment of power is incomplete.

Arkham: What about you? You are an incomplete being as well. Both demon and human blood mingle in your veins.

Vergil: Shut up. *rips sword out of AWrkham violently and sheathes it as Arkham falls* Now that the final door is open, I have no use for you...*walks forward to go wait for his brother*-

Devil May Cry 3 Dante's Awakening Special Edition. Mision 10- Rebellion.
Back to top Go down
Phalen Schuyler

Whats' Your Favorite Quote? NewScribbler-1
Phalen Schuyler

Female
Number of posts : 27
Current Mood : Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Th_sta10
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Topic: Whats' Your Favorite Quote?   Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2008, 10:49 pm

"Why do writers write? Because it isn't there." -Thomas Berger

"Ah, music! A magic beyond all we do here." -J.K. Rowling

"Writing isn't just something that you do." -Phalen Schuyler
Back to top Go down
http://www.writerscafe.org/writers/PhalenSchuyler/
Bick

Whats' Your Favorite Quote? ScribbleSuperr
Bick

Female
Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Whats' Your Favorite Quote?   Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2008, 2:20 am

My favorite quote has nothing to do with writing, I hope there's nothing wrong with that.

"You pick your socks by color and your friends by personality. Picking your socks by personality is silly, and picking your friends by color is unthinkable." - Unknown

I'm not sure if that's exact, but it is definitely something that has stuck with me since I first saw it.
Back to top Go down
soujiroseta

Whats' Your Favorite Quote? ScribbleSuperr
soujiroseta

Male
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Whats' Your Favorite Quote?   Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 2:48 am

If the doctor told me i had six minutes to live i'd type a little faster - Anon
Back to top Go down
Urs

Whats' Your Favorite Quote? ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Whats' Your Favorite Quote?   Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2008, 4:28 pm

"If life was fair, we all piss and moan that it should be unfair" Me.

Living proof that you can't please everyone.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
x_paramore

Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Scribbler-1
x_paramore

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Whats' Your Favorite Quote?   Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2008, 4:30 pm

''Old enough to know better, young enough not to give a f**k.''

whistle innocent
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Whats' Your Favorite Quote?   Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2008, 9:03 pm

One of my favorite that comes from a fictional character is

Chris Hawkin: "To pollute this world is to pollute ourselves"
It goes back to the whole you are what you eat. You are what you breath, what you feel, etc.

This character comes from an anime called Earth Girl Arjuna.
Back to top Go down
Teele

Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Scribbler-1
Teele

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Whats' Your Favorite Quote?   Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeSeptember 30th 2008, 4:16 pm

My favorite writing quote is this:

"Writing is a form of therapy; sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose or paint can manage to escape the madness, the melancholia, the panic fear which is inherent in the human situation." - Graham Greene
Back to top Go down
http://www.theclaybox.ca
HYdraMStar

Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Whats' Your Favorite Quote?   Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2009, 1:23 am

"I don't have to be read to be a writer.... And I don't have to be worshipped to be a goddess. But it helps. Believe me, it helps." ~ Clive Barker, Galilee

The above passage is from an exchange between two characters, Maddox Barbarossa (a demigod writing his family history) and Cesaria Barbarossa (Maddox's father's wife, who is a goddess).
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
fleamailman

Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Topscribbler-1
fleamailman

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Whats' Your Favorite Quote?   Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2009, 5:39 pm

the goblin just repeated his old line, saying "..."to live" is to win, as "to post" is to win too, but "to build up those posts" is to triumph...", but he could have used the clauses of the Muse's pact too knowing that "honesty, a shared life and a thick skin" was what posting was all about
Back to top Go down
TerishD

Whats' Your Favorite Quote? ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2009, 7:10 pm

I have two -

1) From the end of "City" by Clifford Simak, "Mankind does not have an answer."
For those who have never read the book. The ants are covering the world, so the dogs send the robot to the domed cities where mankind has retired into computer comas (slightly like a mankind created 'Matrix' world many years before 'Matrix'). The man the robot contacts tells the robot to use a slow acting poison. The dogs however have created a peaceful existence with no war, no killing, and only limited hostilities by the young. To introduce poison would be to spoil such a perfect society, and the robot goes back to tell the above lie. The dogs leave through a dimensional portal instead of fighting the ants.

2) From "Cat Ballou," "He did it; he missed the barn!"
An Oscar winning movie (back in days when the Oscar meant something).
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats' Your Favorite Quote?   Whats' Your Favorite Quote? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats' Your Favorite Quote?
Page 1 of 1