Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Dilemma of Dreams - 19 Empty33%Dilemma of Dreams - 19 Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Dilemma of Dreams - 19 Empty67%Dilemma of Dreams - 19 Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Dilemma of Dreams - 19 Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Dilemma of Dreams - 19 Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Dilemma of Dreams - 19 Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Dilemma of Dreams - 19 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Dilemma of Dreams - 19 Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Dilemma of Dreams - 19 EmptyDilemma of Dreams - 19 Voting_bar2Dilemma of Dreams - 19 Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Dilemma of Dreams - 19 EmptyDilemma of Dreams - 19 Voting_bar2Dilemma of Dreams - 19 Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Dilemma of Dreams - 19

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TerishD

Dilemma of Dreams - 19 ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Dilemma of Dreams - 19 Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Dilemma of Dreams - 19 Empty
PostSubject: Dilemma of Dreams - 19   Dilemma of Dreams - 19 Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2012, 3:03 pm

An adult speculative Christian post-Armageddon fiction
Dilemma of Dreams
Chapter Nineteen: Complete

A Problem Realized

I had mentioned that Dimerkess interjected a comment into the conversation between Peralte and me, even though the man was supposedly sleeping. I guess that he was still eavesdropping, as I heard his form rise and move to us. I was still clothed, as I had not started my bath yet. Assadra was not, but she did not mind going around naked. Dimerkess was in nothing more than shorts and a tee-shirt, but he showed no embarrassment in coming to us ladies.

“What is that? You know the problem?”

I started my explanation. “Billy Jacobs was my geologist. He ran my assay office, but I know that he did occasionally go into the mountains to look for mushrooms. He liked them. As my world collapsed, I saw a mountain covered in mushrooms. Nintart always spoke of wanting to earn enough money to start a cattle ranch, and he first became a cow. Charles Dodger wanted me to get a new piano, and that is what I saw a barrel turn into. My reality was not collapsing, but it was being overwhelmed by the desires of others.”

Peralte came to also hear what I was saying. Dimerkess was whispering for me to say more. Assadria softly told me to keep speaking. I hoped that I could keep my focus as found myself surrounded by those who wanted to hear what I was saying.

“I was happy. I was not pressing for God to do anything. I did hear some grumbling from the people, but I was not concerned. They had food. They had drink. They had entertainment. What more could they want? I wasn’t talking to God, but I would bet some of my people were.”

Dimerkess said, “Are you saying that He ruined your world to bless them?”

I really did not want to say that. Pausing to think, I however could not discount that logic. God would not forsake me, but he had options that he could do with me. I still had my room in Heaven. I also had alternatives that the commoners did not have, one of which was the deal that I made with Tersepsus. Although it pained me, I went ahead and said what I felt was true.

“They were probably subtle changes, but I really did not design a world that allowed many options. My reality really could not take the stress.”

Assadra said, “God would not put your desires secondary to the commoners.”

“Yes, He would. I heard the sermon many times in the monastery that a parent will be rougher with their own children than those of another parent. He knew that He could take care of me. While He might not be totally committed to the present group of commoners that does not mean that He does not have love for them. This life they have is the only one He has given them. I will be with God for eternity. They probably would not… were not.”

Dimerkess actually picked me up and kissed me before saying, “My darling girl, that actually makes sense… no, it doesn’t. How do we correct it?”

I was still being held, but I did not let that bother me. “Well, we cannot go to Leotion. If he is like I was, he really won’t be the best listener. We have also been told that he is not really even talking to the locals. What we can do however is speak to his wife’s family.”

Dimerkess spun with me in his arms. He then kissed me again before setting me down. After doing that he strode out, only to return to speak of a problem.

“It is the damn middle of the night.”

Assadra said, “Yes, Dimerkess. Vetacha and I were going to bed. I believe that we are both up past our bedtimes.”

Peralte spoke his own agreement. “Yes, Dimerkess. I believe that we had already determined that this reality won’t collapse tomorrow. Let us thus let the ladies get some sleep.”

Dimerkess replied, “How can I sleep now?”

“Well, let us not bother the ladies. They have given us a theory to work with. Come, and let us see if our own experience will supply the evidence to support it.”

“Yes, as I believe that I see a few holes in what I heard.” He bent down to kiss me one more time before saying, “It is still a wonderful line of thought. Sleep tight, Vetacha, Assadra.”

As the men walked off, Assadra whispered to me, “I feel that I have some problems with your theory as well.”

“My theory? You helped me figure it out.” I saw in her glance that she would allow me to take the credit or blame, and to get her to see the value in my conclusion I worked to erase her doubt. “No. I believe that it is correct. I was at fault. I was not talking to anyone. That has been the major change in who I am. Not the gender, but my openness to speak. Instead of a devoted monk who took on the labors of others on top of his own, I became one little girl among a group of little girls. I had companions that shared my life. Not only that, but I had new ones each year. My stories never got old to them, and they never got old to me. I thus learned to share my life. God surely wanted me to talk to Him, and become a true member of the community that I had created. If I was not going to support my world, why should He? No, I believe that my theory is a good one, and I believe that Leotion falls into my category as well.”

Assadra pointed to the tub as she said, “Well, get your bath and get what sleep you can. Tomorrow will probably be a long day.”

I really expected for my mind to keep me up all night. The bath however did work to add to the late hour to get me in the mood for sleep. Instead of collapsing into a long period of unconsciousness, I suddenly found my mind back again alert with the sun touching the horizon.

Opening the chest containing my clothes, I took some time deciding which of my outfits to wear. I finally picked out the white one that I thought was best, and went to prepare myself for the day. I took my time working to assure that my own appearance added to that of the outfit, and did not move to the campfire until feeling that I could present myself properly.

Peralte stood and tipped his hat when I approached, then held out his hand as he said, “The hombres don’t have a chance.”

The silver stars were six-pointed, and set within a circle. In a very elegant set of block letters the badges declared, ‘Sheriff Vetacha.’ The quality was much better than the last one I wore, and I proudly put one on my outfit as I tried to say thanks.

“You have a wonderful set of ladies.”

“Yeah, I talk to God about that at times. I get to keep them however, while I will have to share you. Life just is not fair.”

As I put another of the badges on my hat, I asked, “Did you find any problems with my theory?”

“No. At least none that cannot be easily tested today. Considering that we had nothing, and considering some of the wild ideas that I have worked with in the past, I would do you wrong not to try it.”

I looked around, then said, “I guess that we need to wait for the others to wake up.”

“Get something to eat. I suspect that they will be up soon enough. If not, we might actually take advantage of our sibling privilege to wake their sorry asses up.”

Everyone woke up as Peralte and I practiced with our weapons. I actually found myself able to handle the shock of pulling the trigger. I still lacked a lot of control, but the weapons were finally starting to feel more comfortable in my hands as I used them. As I loaded my pistols after emptying the chambers for the third time, I noticed that the others were waking up.

I actually prepared Saroniel all by myself. It was not an easy task, and I will admit that my mount did a few things to help me. I still found myself feeling that I could actually go out on my own and handle the basics.

Jeraketh came out to saddle his and Dimerkess’ steeds, and as he did so he asked, “Well, Sheriff Vetacha, what hombres do we track down first?”

“No hombres, just regular people. My job is to keep the peace. We thus need to find the home of the family of Leotion’s wife.” Hoping that he understood, I asked him, “Did you track where those men that spoke to me yesterday went?”

“Yes. I can take you to them.”

I would have kissed him, but he was working. “Might need to make you my deputy.”

“No. Just a brother helping his sister.”

It was not too much longer before we were off. Assadra had decided to wear a full dress. While the skirt did hide her tail, she wore a type of three-cornered hat that did not cover her ears. The men were also in cowboy attire, so felt that we looked like a unified group as we rode to what we hoped would be a successful meeting.

I guess the way we rode and our direction of travel declared our intentions. Seeing the men race from their morning activities to their mounts, we paused to see what they would do. Finding them headed in our direction did not bother us at all.

After stopping their mounts a respectable distance away from us, the one that had spoken to me yesterday asked, “Sisters and brothers of Leotion, what do you desire?”

I replied, “We need to know your dreams.”

“Our dreams?”

Wanting to assure that my meaning was coming across, I clarified my words. I spoke of Leotion being responsible for this land. I said that he had a connection to the great God, and from that relationship this land had been formed. I however spoke of the rest of the people that I saw, and how their own dreams were now causing conflict with the reality as a whole. While Leotion’s dreams could be assumed from the way the land was, the dreams of others would not be so obvious.

The man replied, “We all have our dreams.”

“Well, that is what we came to speak to you about.”

“Follow me.”
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com

Dilemma of Dreams - 19
Page 1 of 1