Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Empty33%“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Empty67%“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Empty“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Voting_bar2“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Empty 
TerishD (1441)
“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Empty“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Voting_bar2“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen

Go down 
AuthorMessage
HYdraMStar

“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : “Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Empty
PostSubject: “Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen   “Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen Icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2009, 3:03 pm

A Collection of Poetry, Prose, and Strange Thoughts…

This book comes with a warning on it’s first page that it’s filled with the thoughts and opinions which might not be agreeable to all readers. It’s true enough that it’s filled with opinions in the form of clever musings and poetry of an above average quality. Well, above average. It is also a fact that nothing ever written has been agreeable to all readers. However, in my opinion, to suggest this book is controversial would be a grand overstatement. Sure, some of the things written might be a little troubling or mildly disagreeable to the norm and some of it will make you think, but I just can’t see anyone slamming this book shut in anger. It just doesn’t quite go as far as it could.

Perhaps I feel this way because most of the “political” stuff I found quite agreeable to my personal views. I take next to no issue with anything stated in this area and thought the musings were well formed and entertaining. This is a book to quote.

The only downside, to me, was there was a lot stated about how life and society aren’t fair. The undeserving often get the prize while the hard workers get the shaft. This is certainly the case much too often, but holding the mindset that this is a constant of our society is not in a person’s best interest. I don’t believe and can’t imagine either of the authoresses are the sort to wallow in self-piety, far from it, but I can see those who do taking some of these passages as a reinforcement of the beliefs that keep them held down.

Many of the more personal and poetic passages left me wondering if anti-depressants shouldn’t be in order, but that’s what you get sometimes with “dark” poetry. But the verses were very well formed and beautiful. Ms. Thielen is one of the best poets I’ve read of late and this book is worth the read for the poems alone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com

“Strange Brew” by Andrea Dean van Scoyo & Julie Thielen
Page 1 of 1