Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Empty33%Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Empty67%Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Fiction vs. Non-Fiction EmptyFiction vs. Non-Fiction Voting_bar2Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Fiction vs. Non-Fiction EmptyFiction vs. Non-Fiction Voting_bar2Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Snacker

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Caring10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Empty
PostSubject: Fiction vs. Non-Fiction   Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Icon_minitimeJune 4th 2009, 10:21 pm

I often ask myself what exactly is the difference between writing fiction and non-fiction. Are there any 'plus'' and 'contras' to either of them or is writing in either group just flowing, no matter what?

Does the fact that fiction is fictional makes it easier to come up with story lines and description of characters etc., since nobody can case them down? Or perhaps it's the total opposite?

I'm pretty sure that some people here can tell us there opinions. I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by Snacker on June 5th 2009, 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
Urs

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Fiction vs. Non-Fiction   Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Icon_minitimeJune 4th 2009, 11:04 pm

This is a good question.

I write fiction because it allows me to do anything I want, but I notice that I still tend to use real world stories or bits and kinda of collage them together into a story.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
TerishD

TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Icon_minitimeJune 5th 2009, 8:24 am

You have to enjoy studying people and places for minor details to write non-fiction. I am right now on vacation going to a number of places where people have collected even minor items associated with a person or event. I don't have that level of concern.

I consider my writing career to have started in High School. We were given a book to read, then the teacher went off into detail about the writing style of the author. An assignment was given to write in the style of the author. I wrote a strange secret agent story. The paper came back with a note from the teacher, "Nothing like the author B+." I figured that if I could bomb an assignment, but still pull a B+, then I must be a pretty good writer.

I have also found the some of the same rules to apply to my life. I see things from a completely different perspective than most. Thus, what I consider important details are not what others focus upon. In science and math the odd thinking helps, as it enables to see answers where others do not. In teaching the unique perspectives help and hinder, depending on the locked mentalities of those around me. In writing, I guess that it has hindered, as the established publishers are very locked into a certain writing style.

I thus prefer fiction, as I can present my own perception of characters in my own creation of realities. I prefer fantasy, because it allows me to completely escape. I have written some science-fiction, but my vision of the future did not win any friends. I have written some superhero, but those did not gain any support. I am about to do a thriller here, maybe someone will like it. Fantasy has an audience, and I enjoy it, so I will keep doing it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Joe

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction NewScribbler-1

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Fiction vs. Non-Fiction   Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2009, 7:43 pm

I can see where writing non-fiction is tougher because of accuracy of facts. I can see where fiction is tougher since everything has to be created in the story. I write more of a blend of the two. I take a situation or story about something real and add my theories or beliefs to them to help explain things. I do it the opposite way as well.

If I write about something like what Heaven is like it may be based on a vivid dream (or did I really visit Heaven in my sleep?) it is going to be considered fiction. Well, to me it isn't exactly fiction if I believe it to be a real look at Heaven. So I just forget about what genre I am in and just tell the story. Then I just call it fiction and leave it at that.

I get a kick out of using the two genres together though. Sometimes the fiction is more believable than the non-fiction.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Fiction vs. Non-Fiction   Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2009, 11:05 am

Joe wrote:
Sometimes the fiction is more believable than the non-fiction.

That reminds me of all those "Stranger then Fiction" shows, which were all started by Ripley's success.

But good point on this.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fiction vs. Non-Fiction   Fiction vs. Non-Fiction Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction
Page 1 of 1