Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
What are your methods in creating your story? Empty33%What are your methods in creating your story? Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
What are your methods in creating your story? Empty67%What are your methods in creating your story? Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
What are your methods in creating your story? Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
What are your methods in creating your story? Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
What are your methods in creating your story? Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
What are your methods in creating your story? Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
What are your methods in creating your story? Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
What are your methods in creating your story? EmptyWhat are your methods in creating your story? Voting_bar2What are your methods in creating your story? Empty 
TerishD (1441)
What are your methods in creating your story? EmptyWhat are your methods in creating your story? Voting_bar2What are your methods in creating your story? Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

What are your methods in creating your story?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Swami

What are your methods in creating your story? ScribbleSuperr
Swami

Male
Number of posts : 147
Current Mood : What are your methods in creating your story? Th_hap10
Registration date : 2009-03-26

What are your methods in creating your story? Empty
PostSubject: What are your methods in creating your story?   What are your methods in creating your story? Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2009, 10:22 am

Okay, you have that all important idea and you let it stew in your mind. After a while, it becomes a beginning and a possible ending of a story, and over more time it becomes so strong you know this story is the one for you. How do you proceed? Where do your character ideas come from? Do you take notes, and if so, how? What do you plan before hand? How do you do your research? How do you pre-meditate that all important first sentence? How do you begin, is it pen and paper, or straight onto word? How does your motivation come about?

I'm basically looking to see how each writer's methods differ from person to person. I know if you were taught in school or college it will probably be quite a formulaic process, but lets face it, nobody likes rules.

I'll go first as its my idea. Cool

I never studied for this in school, i was a little turd and got expelled without any qualifications. So, when that night came about, high as a kite on ketamine, I had an experience and decided out of the blue I'd like to write it into a story, I didn't have a clue how to go about it. I sorta thumbed through a couple of how to books, and a grammar book (though grammar and spelling have never been my weak point, despite my low grades) and after a while, I had a folder split into categories, each with a page or two of characters, plot ideas,places, and histories. Over all, there really wasn't much info in there, just enough to help me formulate a chapter plan.

This was over 2 years ago now, the characters have stayed the same, but as I wrote, the plot, places and histories changed completely. Its been a struggle, one I'm not done with yet. In my novice-ness I did very little research and every now and then i look back over an earlier chapter and think is that even possible? Then the rewrites begin. Any pro writer would probably be shaking their head at me right now and tutting.

BUT, it means in the last 2 years I have been constantly writing, and comparing how I write now, and how I did then, you can notice the difference. Quite a lot actually. Which is giving me that motivation like 'hey, I can do this! Maybe not right away, but with a lot of work, I can shape this story into something worth while, maybe even the beginning of something special!'

I know this for certain, when I'm done, and I have the opportunity to pen the sequel, I won't even start writing until every last chapter detail has been planned beforehand!
Back to top Go down
http://unsaneculture.forumotion.net
TerishD

What are your methods in creating your story? ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : What are your methods in creating your story? Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   What are your methods in creating your story? Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2009, 9:29 pm

I say this often: I write scenes. I get a scene in my head that builds until I feel the need to write it. Sometimes I work out characters, but often I simply work to fully describe what I have in my head. Often it stays there on my hard drive. Sometimes other scenes follow the first, and eventually a full novel comes out. I have been working at writing long enough that some files have taken off. In dry spells I do check through my files and add to those I can, and a few have suddenly taken off with additional scenes. The story that will be starting next on my fantasy/gaming sites is such a story that sat for a long time until I finally saw a complete story. The story that will be starting next here however is one that when I finally began writing it, the story flowed until completion.

Note that after about 10,000 or so words, I open up a data file and start recording names and the information that has been associated with the names. This keeps my characters, places, and other items consistent. This is also where certain background details will be placed for reference.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Swami

What are your methods in creating your story? ScribbleSuperr
Swami

Male
Number of posts : 147
Current Mood : What are your methods in creating your story? Th_hap10
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: What are your methods in creating your story?   What are your methods in creating your story? Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2009, 6:12 am

Morning Terish, its good to see someone out there!

I withheld info, before I began what I'm writing now, I did intend writing a story closer to my experience. This was before I read up on anything, and just went straight in for the kill, without a plan, and without a clue. I wrote out a prologue, and a first chapter, and when I got to chapter 2 I just hit a dead end, I didn't know what to write. I already knew how the story would end but getting there was a mystery. That's when I decided to go with the fantasy I'm doing now. Afterwards, I'm going to revisit that first story, and write it..

In fact, I might dig out those chapters I wrote and post them up in the workplace just for fun. You could have a field day with them Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://unsaneculture.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are your methods in creating your story?   What are your methods in creating your story? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are your methods in creating your story?
Page 1 of 1