Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Empty33%“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Empty67%“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Empty“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Voting_bar2“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Empty 
TerishD (1441)
“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Empty“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Voting_bar2“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire

Go down 
AuthorMessage
HYdraMStar

“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : “Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

“Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Empty
PostSubject: “Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire   “Son of a Witch” by Gregory Maguire Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2009, 2:48 pm

Despite it’s quirky title this sequel to Gregory Maguire’s “Wicked: the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West” is anything but light and whimsical. Much like the first book it’s a dark, maybe even darker, view into the world of Oz we all thought we knew.

Honestly I found both the start and the finish of this book to be a bit rough. Breaking away from the straightforward storytelling he did in Wicked Mr. Maguire weaves together the story of Liir, the son of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, through a series of flashbacks, dreams, and the memories of the people who come into the company of the now severely injured and unconscious Liir. This goes on for most of the first half of the book and takes us from the moment of the witch’s death to previously unknown cause of Liir’s comatose state. There are along the way some slight, but annoying, discrepancies between the ending of “Wicked” and the start of “Son of a Witch”. For one Liir is no longer fat, but trim and fit enough to become a solider. This might not be a big deal to most readers, but too me contradictions between sequels and originals is a mortal sin all writers of series fiction should try to avoid at all cost.

Other then that “Son of a Witch” was a fairly enjoyable dark little tale of a disadvantaged boy coming to age during turbulent times in a magical world. Though Liir receives a bit of help here and there from those who knew, loved, or just respected the witch there is none of the sort of charity or warm fuzzy reunions by proxy that one finds in many such works. There was no Harry Potter/Dumbledore moment where Liir gets taken under Glinda’s, or anyone else’s, wing and taught magic or given a home. He is instead stuck with figuring out and finding his path for himself. This I find much to the credit of Mr. Maguire and will keep me reading his work even if it is in other ways flawed.

The ending I will not give away, except to say Liir does not really accomplish much. This I have mixed feelings about. I think perhaps it was a heavy handed effort to leave an opening to revisit Liir and the line of Elphaba in a future book, though it is my understand that third novel in the series covers the life and times of the Cowardly Lion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 1