Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
What's the Worst that could Happen? Empty33%What's the Worst that could Happen? Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
What's the Worst that could Happen? Empty67%What's the Worst that could Happen? Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
What's the Worst that could Happen? Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
What's the Worst that could Happen? Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
What's the Worst that could Happen? Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
What's the Worst that could Happen? Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
What's the Worst that could Happen? Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
What's the Worst that could Happen? EmptyWhat's the Worst that could Happen? Voting_bar2What's the Worst that could Happen? Empty 
TerishD (1441)
What's the Worst that could Happen? EmptyWhat's the Worst that could Happen? Voting_bar2What's the Worst that could Happen? Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

What's the Worst that could Happen?

Go down 
5 posters

As a writer what is the worst thing that could happen to you?
Computer crashes
What's the Worst that could Happen? Empty0%What's the Worst that could Happen? Empty
 0% [ 0 ]
You are told your writing sucks
What's the Worst that could Happen? Empty0%What's the Worst that could Happen? Empty
 0% [ 0 ]
Losing all notebooks in a house fire
 0% [ 0 ]
You have permanent Writer's Block
What's the Worst that could Happen? Empty75%What's the Worst that could Happen? Empty
 75% [ 3 ]
Someone has stolen your work
What's the Worst that could Happen? Empty25%What's the Worst that could Happen? Empty
 25% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

AuthorMessage
Kellycakes

What's the Worst that could Happen? ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : What's the Worst that could Happen? Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

What's the Worst that could Happen? Empty
PostSubject: What's the Worst that could Happen?   What's the Worst that could Happen? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2009, 7:34 pm

As a writer what is the worst thing that could happen to you?
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
Kellycakes

What's the Worst that could Happen? ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : What's the Worst that could Happen? Th_wel10

PostSubject: Re: What's the Worst that could Happen?   What's the Worst that could Happen? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2009, 7:36 pm

For myself, I would have to say none of these options actually apply to me. Although terrible in their own right, the worst that could happen to me is not being able to be creative at all. So the closest would be the permanent writer's block.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
HYdraMStar

What's the Worst that could Happen? Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : What's the Worst that could Happen? Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: What's the Worst that could Happen?   What's the Worst that could Happen? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2009, 8:20 pm

I've had enough computers crap out on me I know to back everything up. Some for the notes and having your work stollen. You should always be able to prove something is yours and while someone taking it as their own would be a pain, I know it's happened to me, normally if you have proof they're the ones that come out of it the worst for it. Being told you suck is no fun, but that's just one person's opinion usually and I don't really get worked up over opinions. Neverending writers block would be the worst, because it would mean your days as a writer are over.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Snacker

What's the Worst that could Happen? ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : What's the Worst that could Happen? Caring10

PostSubject: Re: What's the Worst that could Happen?   What's the Worst that could Happen? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2009, 8:49 pm

Having a writer's block would definitely by my worst happening. Not being able to put whatever is on my mind to paper would be really bad. Having a head full of ideas but no way to put it together.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
Urs

What's the Worst that could Happen? ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : What's the Worst that could Happen? Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: What's the Worst that could Happen?   What's the Worst that could Happen? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2009, 9:26 pm

Well given that I lost several stories to a crashed computer which I did not back up, and then my note books got wet and rotted (Well they were not burned but they were destroyed) so I pretty much lost in a year what I have been writing for the past 10 years. Short stories, drawings, just rants and stuff. Nothing epic, but it was ME, it was MINE, and it was the emblem of my creativity.

I try to create things, I try to force new stories to form, grow and take shape, but then I hear the ranting of naysayers and people how ridicule what I have tried to make.

Then one day while I was begging a family member to please read my work and help me correct it, something snapped inside me, like a band stretched too far... a feeling like something fell, or broke within my body or mind, strange as it was, it felt almost physical but it was not.

Now I sit at the computer, and just stare at it, I hear the songs of thousands of tales or woe and heroics. Psalms of love and coming of age. Countless worlds fall before my eyes as my mind forms them from the aether of creation, but my fingers fail to strike a single key and I slowly die inside.

What truly is the worst fate?

I may not know, perhaps my worst fate now might be if I lost hope that some day I'll be able to write again.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
TerishD

What's the Worst that could Happen? ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : What's the Worst that could Happen? Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   What's the Worst that could Happen? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2009, 11:32 pm

All right Snacker and Hydra, the cure for Writer's Block is to write. I say this as someone that has been posting 2,000+ word installments EVERY FIVE DAYS for almost eight complete years. I go through periods where scenes just are not coming into my head, but I hold to my routine and work to put something down. Eventually the few words, maybe a sentence, maybe a paragraph, gets me over a mental hump and the words again flow.

Let me also say that it helps not to concentrate on only one story. I have a lot of 'failed' manuscripts on my computer. If one story runs into a problem, I switch to another. I am sometimes very surprised by what tale takes off, but I go for a ride enjoying every minute.

Note that backing up is smart. I have my 'working' directory where I work on new or unseen material, my 'archives'directory where those stories posted to the internet are stored, my 'bookwork' directory where published manuscripts are stored or those I want to publish are polished, and now a 'gaming' directory where my gaming rules material is set. All of these directories get regularly moved to a 'safer' computer and then copied to a CD.

I believe the worse thing that could happen to me is becoming famous. Right now I post what I want and take what praise/rants come. If I become famous I believe that others will want to limit how much I post and what I post, spoiling my fun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the Worst that could Happen?   What's the Worst that could Happen? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's the Worst that could Happen?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: