Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Seasons Greetings Empty33%Seasons Greetings Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Seasons Greetings Empty67%Seasons Greetings Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Seasons Greetings Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Seasons Greetings Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Seasons Greetings Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Seasons Greetings Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Seasons Greetings Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Seasons Greetings EmptySeasons Greetings Voting_bar2Seasons Greetings Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Seasons Greetings

Go down 
+3
Snacker
TerishD
Kellycakes
7 posters

What is the most special part of the holiday season?
The Winter Season/Snow
 33% [ 4 ]
Christmas Trees
Seasons Greetings Empty0%Seasons Greetings Empty
 0% [ 0 ]
Beautiful Lights
 0% [ 0 ]
Religious Celebrations
Seasons Greetings Empty8%Seasons Greetings Empty
 8% [ 1 ]
Family
Seasons Greetings Empty8%Seasons Greetings Empty
 8% [ 1 ]
Movies
 0% [ 0 ]
More than three of the above
 33% [ 4 ]
All of the above
Seasons Greetings Empty17%Seasons Greetings Empty
 17% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
Kellycakes

Seasons Greetings ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Seasons Greetings Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Seasons Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Seasons Greetings   Seasons Greetings Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2008, 9:25 pm

For those of you who celebrate the Christmas holiday. What is your favorite part of the season?

Tell us some of the traditions you and your family practices around this time of year. santa If you don't celebrate Christmas, what exactly do you celebrate that is like this holiday?
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
TerishD

Seasons Greetings ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Seasons Greetings Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Seasons Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Seasons Greetings Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2008, 9:48 pm

The Winter Season? Snow? Snow? Ha-ha. Ha-ha-ha. Giggle, chortle, TerishD falls over laughing. Excuse me, no snow here.

Christmas Tree? Yeah, those are nice.

Beautiful Lights? Yeah, those are nice as well.

Religious Celebrations? Had my annual argument with the Jehovah Witnesses today. They don't worship Christmas for various reasons. I tell them that EVERY facet of the life of Christ needs to be celebrated - and that means his birth as well. Now, they can pick the day (so it has no bad connotation), they can pick the method (so it has no bad conotations), and I will celebrate with them. As happens every Christmas, they decline. Makes me wonder how pro-Christ they are.

Family? Yeah, it is nice, but also bothersome - well, in a nice way.

Movies? NO!!!

The secrets are my favorite. Not knowing what is really in the presents under the tree. Knowing that they are not bad secrets, but good things are being hidden from you I find to be so much fun. I keep telling children that if you look for trouble, you will find it. Christmas is one time of the year that you can look for good things, and know that they are waiting for you to open them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Snacker

Seasons Greetings ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : Seasons Greetings Caring10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Seasons Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seasons Greetings   Seasons Greetings Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2008, 9:50 pm

I like just everything about Christmas. I love the decoration you see in stores, streets and in front of houses. And what would Christmas be without a tree? A real one of course. Nothing looks better then a real Christmas tree in your living room. Coming in the door, or out of a room in the morning and smelling the pines is something you just have to experience. And don't forget decorating the tree, love to do that.

I never had a Christmas like that since I'm in America though. We had a tree and that was it. Here we decorate the inside and outside of the house, which totally brings me in Christmas mood. I also love getting presents for my beloved ones. The excitement on their faces when they open it is just wonderful.

And oh my oh my, always remember the Christmas movies and the Christmas songs. Oh yeah how I love them. Movies from "I'll be home for Christmas" to "The Polar Express" and even cartoons like "Mickey's Christmas" is what I love to see on TV during the Christmas season.

And what would be better then snow on Christmas day!

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
HYdraMStar

Seasons Greetings Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Seasons Greetings Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Seasons Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seasons Greetings   Seasons Greetings Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2008, 10:09 pm

My favorite part of Christmas is listening to all the other wise smart people insist they know the exact date of Christ's birth and it just happens to line up almost perfectly with the old Pagan winter holidays and they actually have the nerve to get offended when folks who actually are Pagan and understand the meaning behind all the trees and pretty lights insist upon having their practices and belief shown a tad bit of consideration and respect... Oh, and stories about people being trampled to death or shot over a sale on some television or toy or other bit of non-sense that's not only not worth dying over/going to jail but they'd likely lose interest in about a day and a half after they get it.

It all really confirms my lack of faith in the collective intelligence of humanity and reminds me of the dangers of going along with something just because everyone else says it's the "right" thing.

So, no there is no holiday I celebrate that is like Christmas... and I'm so glad of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Leaka

Seasons Greetings Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Seasons Greetings Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Seasons Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seasons Greetings   Seasons Greetings Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2008, 4:32 pm

I put the season winter.
Cause I like to watch as the world becomes quiet and the world is covered by a thick blanket of white snow.
As if the sky is saying stay warm ground below.
Though in California you don't get snow, I miss snow.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Seasons Greetings Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Seasons Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seasons Greetings   Seasons Greetings Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2008, 2:55 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:
My favorite part of Christmas is listening to all the other wise smart people insist they know the exact date of Christ's birth and it just happens to line up almost perfectly with the old Pagan winter holidays and they actually have the nerve to get offended when folks who actually are Pagan and understand the meaning behind all the trees and pretty lights insist upon having their practices and belief shown a tad bit of consideration and respect...

Umm the story behind those lights and trees, is "they sell good" and that is about it.

Same with the big fat guy in a red suit, it sells. End of story.

If you want to pretend that there is more to it then that, I suppose you could, but you would be fooling yourself.

Just like I suppose you could try to input some spiritual meaning into it as well, but that burden would be entirely upon you.

Sure, I know, I know all about how the RCC kept the same holidays and similar festivities the Roman Pagan's followed to make the conversion easier for them. But that is about the have all end all of the influence. Just like atheist getting days off from work during the work week, is that a tribute to the Christian belief? You better believe it! Are you influenced by the belief because you get the day off? (I think you know the answer to that question).

So here is the deal, would you convert to Atheism if it meant loosing those days off from work? As well as needing to work all "religious" Holidays?

The 40 hour work week was established by Henry Ford to maintain workers, and has no religious implications, so I suppose it would be the same hours each week, just spanned over 7 days as opposed to 5.

So, you might still convert, but it would influence your decision, if not at first, then over time.

Well, anyway, the RCC was seeking mas conversion so ease was the predominant thing (After all, you said this enough times "people are stupid", so you need to cater to that), so they kept the fun festivities and such and gave them a Christian purpose. Anyway, the events or effects were not done in tribute to the "belief" or nature of the pagan ritual, and their is none now.

It was kept because it was "fun" and that is the have all, end all, of why we have any of that... It sells.

In 400 AD it sold conversions, today it sells product.

I suppose Pagan's might be duped into believing that any of this is tribute to their o;d beliefs, but that is like believing that Santa Claus is tribute to the mythology of Elves.

You end up looking rather foolish.

So in the real nature of the Holiday I say! Go! Eat! Buy! and Enjoy yourself! That why we celebrate it in the first place, it is (supposed to be) FUN!

(Oh and a buy lots and lots of stuff)

Last edited by Urs on December 4th 2008, 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Needed to fix my post.)
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Leaka

Seasons Greetings Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Seasons Greetings Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Seasons Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seasons Greetings   Seasons Greetings Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2008, 3:08 pm

Urs wrote:
HYdraMStar wrote:
My favorite part of Christmas is listening to all the other wise smart people insist they know the exact date of Christ's birth and it just happens to line up almost perfectly with the old Pagan winter holidays and they actually have the nerve to get offended when folks who actually are Pagan and understand the meaning behind all the trees and pretty lights insist upon having their practices and belief shown a tad bit of consideration and respect...

Umm the story behind those lights and trees, is "they sell good" and that is about it.

If you want to pretend that there is more to it then that, I suppose you could, but you would be fooling yourself.

Just like I suppose you could try to input some spiritual meaning into it as well, but that burden would be entirely upon you.

Sure, I know, I know all about how the RCC kept the same holidays and similar festivities the Roman Pagan's followed to make the conversion easier for them. But that is about the have all end all of the influence. Just like atheist getting days off from work during the work week, is that a tribute to the Christian belief? You better believe it! Are you influenced by the belief because you get the day off? (I think you know the answer to that question).

So here is the deal, would you convert to Atheism if it meant loosing those days off from work? As well as needing to work all "religious" Holidays?

The 40 hour work week was established by Henry Ford to maintain workers, and has no religious implications, so I suppose it would be the same hours each week, just spanned over 7 days as opposed to 5.

So, you might still convert, but it would influence your decision, if not at first, then over time.

Well, anyway, the RCC was seeking mas conversion so ease was the predominant thing (After all, you said this enough times "people are stupid", so you need to cater to that), so they kept the fun festivities and such and gave them a Christian purpose. Anyway, the events or effects were not done in tribute to the "belief" or nature of the pagan ritual, and their is none now.

It was kept because it was "fun" and that is the have all, end all, of why we have any of that... It sells.

I suppose you could try and input some spiritual purpose or deep meaning into it, well, burden would be entirely upon you. I suppose Pagan's might be duped into believing that any of this is tribute to their o;d beliefs, but that is like believing that Santa Claus is tribute to the mythology of Elves.

You'd only be fooling yourself.

Well that isn't a fun way to live life. I mean I don't buy into the idea of Santa Claus makes toys and everything.
But I like to think there is a sense of magical essence throughout the world. Santa Claus may not exist,truth is its just your parents, but there is a sense of magic in the air during the winter seasons.
Maybe the real Santa Claus doesn't go down chimneys, maybe the real Santa Claus is the snow, the lights, the trees, and the over all happy feeling people feel. Maybe Santa Claus is the magic of happiness.
I don't like to look at my world as a place not filled with mystery or magic. I like to think nature in itself is somewhat magical and maybe there is a bit of magic in the seasons.
Present bearing Santa Claus may not exist, but surely Santa Claus that is the snow and the lights and the feelings. The Santa Claus that bears you the world may exist.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

Seasons Greetings Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Seasons Greetings Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Seasons Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seasons Greetings   Seasons Greetings Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2008, 4:02 pm

Urs wrote:
HYdraMStar wrote:

I suppose Pagan's might be duped into believing that any of this is tribute to their o;d beliefs, but that is like believing that Santa Claus is tribute to the mythology of Elves.

You end up looking rather foolish.

So in the real nature of the Holiday I say! Go! Eat! Buy! and Enjoy yourself! That why we celebrate it in the first place, it is (supposed to be) FUN!

Urs, I don't know that you meant to, but you basically just agreed with what I was saying, except you seemed to miss my point that I was talking exclusively about are the sort of folks that literally believe Christmas day to be the date of Jesus's birth and have utterly no idea how trees and lights ever came into.

And just to be clear, I think it's all meaningless at this point and that's why I take no part in it what so ever. But I still find it highly amusing when some Christians get all beside themselves because some government building put up a Christmas display along side a Pagan or even Jewish one. I mean if they want to be mad at someone they should be mad at the forefathers of their faith for taking the easy route and going with as you so rightly put it what sold.

And you are absolutely 100% right, the RCC and the like cater to the stupidest element in humanity... Never thought I'd see the day a self-proclaimed Christian admitted to that fact. Must be some sort of Christmas miracle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Seasons Greetings Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Seasons Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seasons Greetings   Seasons Greetings Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2008, 9:11 am

HYdraMStar wrote:

Urs, I don't know that you meant to, but you basically just agreed with what I was saying, except you seemed to miss my point that I was talking exclusively about are the sort of folks that literally believe Christmas day to be the date of Jesus's birth and have utterly no idea how trees and lights ever came into.[/quote]

It's as good a day as any, when you think about it.

Quote :
And just to be clear, I think it's all meaningless at this point and that's why I take no part in it what so ever. But I still find it highly amusing when some Christians get all beside themselves because some government building put up a Christmas display along side a Pagan or even Jewish one. I mean if they want to be mad at someone they should be mad at the forefathers of their faith for taking the easy route and going with as you so rightly put it what sold.

But the Jewish and Pagan's have nothing to do with Christmas in America, or Christmas as it is today, they have contributed nothing meaningful to date.

It was, and will always be, a product of Christians celebrating one of their holidays, and only Christians.

Quote :
And you are absolutely 100% right, the RCC and the like cater to the stupidest element in humanity... Never thought I'd see the day a self-proclaimed Christian admitted to that fact. Must be some sort of Christmas miracle.

Well the RCC, along with, oh, every government, public school system, public building, commercial business, and pretty much everything else has to cater to the lowest level of intellect.

It is just the nature of "dealing with the masses"
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
mamawsue

Seasons Greetings NewScribbler-1

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Seasons Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seasons Greetings   Seasons Greetings Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2008, 9:53 pm

Wow, some interesting post here!

Whether or not it is the exact day Jesuse was born, it is the date that we Christians Celebrate the birth.

Spending time with family, enjoying seeing the children's eyes light up looking at the Christmas decorations, (yes, the natvity scene too), the meal we join together making; each fixing their favorite tranditional food from when they were growing up.

We get to spend time with family we don't get to see often because of distance or other circumstance. The granddaughters hugs when we drive up to their house...making memories that will stay with me forever!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Seasons Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seasons Greetings   Seasons Greetings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seasons Greetings
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: Scribbles Cafe'-
Jump to: