Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
44th! Empty33%44th! Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
44th! Empty67%44th! Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
44th! Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
44th! Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
44th! Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
44th! Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
44th! Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
44th! Empty44th! Voting_bar244th! Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

44th!

Go down 
+3
Snacker
HYdraMStar
Urs
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Urs

44th! ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : 44th! Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

44th! Empty
PostSubject: 44th!   44th! Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2008, 9:01 am

The 44th President of the United States is Barack Hussein Obama who has won by a land slide of 349 electoral votes to 147.

This makes Obama not only one of our younger presidents (only a few years older then JFK) but also makes him America's First Black President, and a Democrat.

Here is looking forward to 4 years under his guidance.

Thank you all who voted, no matter who you voted for!
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
HYdraMStar

44th! Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : 44th! Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

44th! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 44th!   44th! Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2008, 4:07 pm

Maybe it is just me, and I'm just being argumentative, and maybe it has more to do with my own personal issues then to do with him, but I've been calling him our first biracial president. Because he's not non-white and he's certainly biracial and proud of it.

But yeah it was an exciting night and I look forward, with hope, to where he's going to take us as a country.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Snacker

44th! ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : 44th! Caring10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

44th! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 44th!   44th! Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2008, 5:41 pm

Congratulations to President Obama. It certainly was an interesting and exciting race and I just hope that he's not just talking. I hope that he really is true to his word and that he gives the country what he told us to.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
Shadow Dragon

44th! Scribbler-1
Shadow Dragon

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-09-24

44th! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 44th!   44th! Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2008, 7:04 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:
Maybe it is just me, and I'm just being argumentative, and maybe it has more to do with my own personal issues then to do with him, but I've been calling him our first biracial president. Because he's not non-white and he's certainly biracial and proud of it.

But yeah it was an exciting night and I look forward, with hope, to where he's going to take us as a country.

I've been refering to him as biracial instead of black also. He's speech that night was amazing in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

44th! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 44th!   44th! Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2008, 7:54 pm

biracial?

Meh, Go figure. Matters nothing to me.

I like calling him our first Black President, and I am proud of that. He is Proof that people of any color can overcome in this great nation.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

44th! Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female

44th! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 44th!   44th! Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2008, 8:21 pm

Urs wrote:
biracial?

Meh, Go figure. Matters nothing to me.

I like calling him our first Black President, and I am proud of that. He is Proof that people of any color can overcome in this great nation.

You'll do like everyone else and label him in whatever way best suites your personal politics and views on race.

I won't try to talk you out of it.

I just personally would like to see us as a country come to a point where we can let go of this idea, that is clearly a hold over from the days of slavery, that if a person is half black or even an 1/16 black then they are for all legal and social purposes black and just forget about all the other aspects of their heritage, background, and upbringing.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

44th! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 44th!   44th! Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2008, 9:56 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:
I just personally would like to see us as a country come to a point where we can let go of this idea, that is clearly a hold over from the days of slavery, that if a person is half black or even an 1/16 black then they are for all legal and social purposes black and just forget about all the other aspects of their heritage, background, and upbringing.

:: sigh ::

I suppose if it is such an issue for you that our 44th President is non-white (like the other 43) and you need to refer to him as Biracial as opposed to Black that is your personal issue on the subject.

But have you ever noticed that the more famous a "Black Person" becomes, the more "White" or more to the point the more 'Non-Black' they become as well. I mean for a while there Tiger Woods was an Asian mixed or something.

I suppose whatever makes you feel better.

and as far as I know 1/16 would only be viable if you were Native American Indian in regards to racial identification.

Last edited by Urs on November 5th 2008, 11:06 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Needed to fix my post.)
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

44th! Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female

44th! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 44th!   44th! Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2008, 11:08 pm

How did I make an accusation towards you regarding slavery? And I wouldn't presume to know what your true feelings about Mr. Obama's race or any other person's might be. Hell, I don't even know what race you yourself personally are. Where your people owned? Where they owners? Did they arrive in this country after the fact? I don't have a clue, except for what you just posted about your not owning slaves. But still, for all I know you could be Asian or Native American or literally anything else.

Now, as for your accusations that I'm some sort of racist because I like to be accurate when I start placing labels on people just goes to show how little of my personal life and background you know and I'm not even going to try to defend myself as you've already obviously decided I belong in the white category.
Back to top Go down
katzklaw

44th! NewScribbler-1

Female
Number of posts : 5

44th! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 44th!   44th! Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2008, 11:10 pm

Urs is not "PC"! *laugh*

minor clarification, if it helps, Urs doesn't mean "black" in a bad way. just a descriptive term. his skin tone, facial structure, etc appear Negroid, as opposed to Caucasoid or Mongoloid (or any of the others that i can't remember right now) so he is 'black'.

meh.

anyways... yay Barack! congrats on making history, no matter how you slice it!
Back to top Go down
http://katzklaw.blogspot.com
HYdraMStar

44th! Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female

44th! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 44th!   44th! Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2008, 12:33 am

katzklaw wrote:
minor clarification, if it helps, Urs doesn't mean "black" in a bad way. just a descriptive term. his skin tone, facial structure, etc appear Negroid, as opposed to Caucasoid or Mongoloid (or any of the others that i can't remember right now) so he is 'black'.

That was never my thought. I know he didn't mean it as a negative thing. I actually took him to mean it as a positive thing, as have many of the other people who are calling him our first black president mean it. I just think it is incorrect, both politically and logically, and frankly is a little disrespectful to the man, who has tried in everything he's done to honor both sides of his family and heritage. I'm sorry Urs took it so personally, because it wasn't meant that way, but I stand by what I said.
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

44th! ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : 44th! Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

44th! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 44th!   44th! Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2008, 1:25 am

Yeah thats what I like to see, a debate (even though its semi-political) without whining and crying about hurt feelings. You all are great.

As the bi-racial, black, and white issue. I am half and half, a mix of both, oreo cookie so to speak. I've been called names, even by some of my family members and I find it offensive when people call me black when they clearly know that I am mixed and make it a point to celebrate myself as so. This has been a issue for me and in one of many interviews Obama said it was so for him growing up. My mother even sometimes told my brothers that they had a strike already against while growing up black because of just that.

So the race thing has been played and obviously its never going to go away. That fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter what color he is, he won and we celebrate his success. Another fact is that never has someone none white, whether 1/16 or 1/2 ever made it into the white house. Its a top honor and we hope he will do good by his quoted campaign. This opens up doors for anyone who is, anything but white. A particular door that has been closed since well ever. The same can be said for women in higher political areas as well. Yay for minorities and women!

Another thing I like to point out is that Obama's platform included bringing younger voters to the polls in droves and it worked out to his advantage which hasn't been the case since, as someone has previously mentioned, JFK's term. The fact that he won by such a large margin is quite respectable in my mind.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
HYdraMStar

44th! Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female

44th! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 44th!   44th! Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2008, 3:41 am

Kellycakes wrote:
Yeah thats what I like to see, a debate (even though its semi-political) without whining and crying about hurt feelings. You all are great.

Sadly Kelly, a lot of things in this thread have been edited and/or deleted. So, you aren't getting the full scope of how my comments were originally received. But I do hope that if there were any hurt feelings the editing is a sign that a realization has been made that my remarks were not meant in anyway as a personal attack.
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : 44th! Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

44th! Empty
PostSubject: Reply   44th! Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2008, 7:54 am

I have been quiet up to now, and I still am not going to say much. However, as someone that teaches at a black school, let me say that the blacks around here are fully accepting that Barack is black. I kept hearing all day yesterday (the day after the election), "Really, Mr. Ward, who did you vote for?" I maintained my story the entire time, "I voted for Quinlin, so nobody can call me racist or sexist."

Honestly, I don't believe the Democrats have the policies or drive to really fix the problems, but the Republicans were not acting right either. Poor Barack is going to have a tough four years attempting to fix what is wrong. I thus really did not go into the voting booth caring who became President. I played with the electronic computer checking to make certain that the buttons I picked matched what showed on the little screen at the bottom. I thus might have actually picked Quinlin. The local elections I however made more concerned choices.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Urs

Urs

44th! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 44th!   44th! Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2008, 10:18 am

HYdraMStar wrote:
Sadly Kelly, a lot of things in this thread have been edited and/or deleted. So, you aren't getting the full scope of how my comments were originally received. But I do hope that if there were any hurt feelings the editing is a sign that a realization has been made that my remarks were not meant in anyway as a personal attack.

It was more an issue of not needing to get all huffy about it. I'm simple, people are simple and race is a simple thing. Really. A person is what they look like, end of story. We are not dogs or horses were we are expected to provide a full pedigree to prove our "Breed".

If Mr. Obama wants to celebrate that his mother is white and his father is black, then more power to him.

But we all have to agree that there is no mistake here, He looks like the traditional "Black Man", he has very dark skin, curly black hair, dark brown eyes, as such, that is what he is., it's not like "Wow, I thought he looked kinda Asian when the light hits him just right" type of deal, or maybe he has that Richard Simmons look about him. He also does not look like a "white guy with dark skin" either or have a Vin Diesel type effect going for him.

Same with you, same with anyone.

I see a picture of you, or see you walking down the street, or what have you and that is pretty much what I base it on, and that is how I think it should be.

Going beyond that turns people into this live stock festivals and that is a throw back to the times of slavery.

That is just my feeling on it.

In the end, Mr. Obama has a lot to do and I for one am looking forward to seeing what he will do. These are wild times with lots going on. Maybe he might be another FDR or something.

We shall see, and in 4 years, the color of his skin I hope is the least of the things that being our attention to Obama, I hope we look fondly on him as the president that truly led us into a new hope for a new millennium.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

44th! Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female

44th! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 44th!   44th! Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2008, 6:23 pm

Urs wrote:
HYdraMStar wrote:

It was more an issue of not needing to get all huffy about it. I'm simple, people are simple and race is a simple thing. Really. A person is what they look like, end of story. We are not dogs or horses were we are expected to provide a full pedigree to prove our "Breed".

If Mr. Obama wants to celebrate that his mother is white and his father is black, then more power to him.

But we all have to agree that there is no mistake here, He looks like the traditional "Black Man", he has very dark skin, curly black hair, dark brown eyes, as such, that is what he is., it's not like "Wow, I thought he looked kinda Asian when the light hits him just right" type of deal, or maybe he has that Richard Simmons look about him. He also does not look like a "white guy with dark skin" either or have a Vin Diesel type effect going for him.

Same with you, same with anyone.

I see a picture of you, or see you walking down the street, or what have you and that is pretty much what I base it on, and that is how I think it should be.

Going beyond that turns people into this live stock festivals and that is a throw back to the times of slavery.

That is just my feeling on it.

In the end, Mr. Obama has a lot to do and I for one am looking forward to seeing what he will do. These are wild times with lots going on. Maybe he might be another FDR or something.

We shall see, and in 4 years, the color of his skin I hope is the least of the things that being our attention to Obama, I hope we look fondly on him as the president that truly led us into a new hope for a new millennium.

Honestly, I find so many flaws in the logic behind your position and attitude on this issue I could go on for pages about all the things wrong with your summary of people, race, and history. And I feel what was deleted was more then just being 'huffy' as I was pretty much accused of being a racist and of attacking you personally, but I think it's time we both let it go and agree to disagree.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

44th! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 44th!   44th! Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2008, 6:54 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:
Honestly, I find so many flaws in the logic behind your position and attitude on this issue I could go on for pages about all the things wrong with your summary of people, race, and history.

I suppose you could. Start a new topic and let us discuss in a civil manner.

Quote :
And I feel what was deleted was more then just being 'huffy' as I was pretty much accused of being a racist and of attacking you personally

I never said you were a racist. I said which of us seems to have let go of slavery and that your point of calling him Biracial seemed to stem from the fact that you had issue with accepting he was "Black" because he was in a position of power.

This stemmed from the fact that I felt personally insulted by your commentary about that whole "that is clearly a hold over from the days of slavery, that if a person is half black or even an 1/16 black then they are for all legal and social purposes black and just forget about all the other aspects of their heritage, background, and upbringing"" because it came across as if you were calling me a Klan Member.

later... after my blood stopped boiling... I figured that was not what you meant, and that perhaps I was taking it a bit too personal, or even the wrong way, and was being Huffy, which was why I edited my post.

Quote :
but I think it's time we both let it go and agree to disagree.

Actually if we can able to have a civil discussion, I do not see why we can't explore this issue, and there might be others that might enjoy the discussion. Start a topic for it and if we can keep it constructive I see no motive why the issue can not be explored. Maybe even in start it in the research sections as that is what we are discussing is history, social dynamics, and the mentality of people as well as cultures as a whole.

It might be enlightening for all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

44th! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 44th!   44th! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

44th!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: