Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
I want your guys opinion on something. Empty33%I want your guys opinion on something. Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
I want your guys opinion on something. Empty67%I want your guys opinion on something. Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
I want your guys opinion on something. Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
I want your guys opinion on something. Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
I want your guys opinion on something. Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
I want your guys opinion on something. Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
I want your guys opinion on something. Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
I want your guys opinion on something. EmptyI want your guys opinion on something. Voting_bar2I want your guys opinion on something. Empty 
TerishD (1441)
I want your guys opinion on something. EmptyI want your guys opinion on something. Voting_bar2I want your guys opinion on something. Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

I want your guys opinion on something.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Shadow Dragon

I want your guys opinion on something. Scribbler-1
Shadow Dragon

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-09-24

I want your guys opinion on something. Empty
PostSubject: I want your guys opinion on something.   I want your guys opinion on something. Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2008, 11:26 pm

Ok, I've decided that Tom Doherty Associates, LLC (which owns Tor Books and multiple other publishers) will be the first place I send in my submission. They ask for a cover letter, synopsis, a self adressed stamped envelope and the first three chapters or if they are long then send the first forty to sixty pages provided it's under ten-thousand words. They take four to six months to reply due to the number of submission they get each year.

So I have the plot of my novel completely figured out and out-lined but as far as actually typing it up goes, so all that needs to be done is actually typing it out. At this moment finishing up my third chapter tonight out of the total thirteen chapters. Going at my current rate (at least two thousand words a day) I should finish it well before half the time it takes them to reply.

So I was thinking about going ahead and sending in my submission now (well when I get a ink cartridge for my printer) and finishing up the novel while waiting for a reply. Do you guys think that's a good idea or should I complete my novel and then send in the submission?
Back to top Go down
Urs

I want your guys opinion on something. ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : I want your guys opinion on something. Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: I want your guys opinion on something.   I want your guys opinion on something. Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2008, 11:44 pm

From what I have heard and read - always have the novel complete before you submit it. Edited, revised, proof read and all that before you send it to them.

Then while you wait, you can start on your second Novel and perhaps other cover letters in case you get refused by Tor books.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
HYdraMStar

I want your guys opinion on something. Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : I want your guys opinion on something. Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: I want your guys opinion on something.   I want your guys opinion on something. Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2008, 12:04 am

I'd say it needs to be finished first; two reasons.

Say it's a slow month for submissions at Tor or yours somehow ends up on a fast track and instead of four to six months it take them four to six weeks to contact you asking to read the rest. You won't have a finished novel to give them, will you?

Second, if you send your synopsis before you actually finish it you are married to it. You won't be as free to change your plot/storyline/ending as you might see fit the further into the writing you get,
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
TerishD

I want your guys opinion on something. ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : I want your guys opinion on something. Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   I want your guys opinion on something. Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2008, 12:12 am

Well? Will you finish it? During that time you still won't be paid for doing it. There will be nobody screaming at you to get it done. Thus, will you really commit to doing it? To be on the safe side, I recommend writing it first.

As for me, I learn things about the characters and sub-plots while writing. I thus often need to go back and change things to correct little details that needed to be tweaked. I also work to better set up certain traits and facts that will be important later. Thus, once again I recommend writing it first.

Finally, 13 chapters? Is that all? How long is this NOVEL? If you are making each chapter over 5,000 words then you will be over 10,000 words with just your first TWO chapters. If you are making each chapter under 5,000 words, it is going to be short. I find myself again recommending that you write it first just to check length and pacing.

Finally, edit, edit, edit. Don't send it in until you are VERY certain it is worthy.

Take your time and do things properly. That is always the best way to do things.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Shadow Dragon

I want your guys opinion on something. Scribbler-1
Shadow Dragon

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: I want your guys opinion on something.   I want your guys opinion on something. Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2008, 12:33 am

TerishD wrote:
Well? Will you finish it? During that time you still won't be paid for doing it. There will be nobody screaming at you to get it done. Thus, will you really commit to doing it? To be on the safe side, I recommend writing it first.

As for me, I learn things about the characters and sub-plots while writing. I thus often need to go back and change things to correct little details that needed to be tweaked. I also work to better set up certain traits and facts that will be important later. Thus, once again I recommend writing it first.

Finally, 13 chapters? Is that all? How long is this NOVEL? If you are making each chapter over 5,000 words then you will be over 10,000 words with just your first TWO chapters. If you are making each chapter under 5,000 words, it is going to be short. I find myself again recommending that you write it first just to check length and pacing.

Finally, edit, edit, edit. Don't send it in until you are VERY certain it is worthy.

Take your time and do things properly. That is always the best way to do things.

Each chapter is between six to seven thousand words. Also, yeah, I think I'm going to wait until after I'm finished the tenth chapter before sending it in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I want your guys opinion on something.   I want your guys opinion on something. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I want your guys opinion on something.
Page 1 of 1