Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
What Changes People. Empty33%What Changes People. Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
What Changes People. Empty67%What Changes People. Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
What Changes People. Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
What Changes People. Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
What Changes People. Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
What Changes People. Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
What Changes People. Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
What Changes People. EmptyWhat Changes People. Voting_bar2What Changes People. Empty 
TerishD (1441)
What Changes People. EmptyWhat Changes People. Voting_bar2What Changes People. Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

What Changes People.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Urs

What Changes People. ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : What Changes People. Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

What Changes People. Empty
PostSubject: What Changes People.   What Changes People. Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2008, 1:21 pm

I have heard about many things that change people for the worst. being abused or taken advantage of makes people embittered, and things like that. Being hurt by a lover makes you want to have nothing to do with love, etc, etc, etc.

Mainly a bad event leads to people becoming "Less opening and less giving"

What kind of events or something would "Open Someone's Eyes" to the evil around them and the wrongness of their own actions.

The simple question is: What would make a inconsiderate and embittered person become a caring loving person?

I know religion is a big one for this, but I can't use religion, or more to the point, I don't want to use religion in my story , I want to use the actions of people upon people.

Like the same way people go from caring open compassionate people to embittered untrusting people by the actions of those around them

Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
TerishD

TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : What Changes People. Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   What Changes People. Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2008, 1:41 pm

As an 'inconsiderate and embittered person' let me make my statement. I am neither inconsiderate or embittered. I simply consider myself guarded. The pain that I suffered I do not want to suffer again. I thus am now more cautious before I consider the feelings of others. I am not bitter, simply shielded against feeling your pain until I feel certain that I can ease your suffering without undue suffering in return.

I am here. I am open. I am among the masses. I choose my battles however, and feel no shame should I decline to volunteer. You might consider me 'inconsiderate and embittered,' although there are others that find me compassionate and caring. It is all a matter of perspective. Stop being cruel to me and those I do respond to. I might not be YOUR knight in shining armor, but I do try to be A knight in shining armor. Be glad that I am out there not making this world a more miserable place, and go look elsewhere for your own salvation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
HYdraMStar

What Changes People. Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : What Changes People. Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: What Changes People.   What Changes People. Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2008, 2:02 pm

I don't think in all reality people do actually change. I mean for example, I know someone who had a profound change in religious views, the one example you gave, but he's still the same cocky know-it-all ass he was before. Only his target for abuse and the name he prays to has changed... actually one target for his abuse hasn't changed all that greatly. We fought like cats and dogs before and we fight like cats and dogs now.

But for fictional purposes the old making them face up to and deal with the pain they are causing works nicely. A Christmas Carol is a good example of this, but you naturally don't need ghost and time travel to make it work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: What Changes People.   What Changes People. Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2008, 2:24 pm

TrishD: No offense, but I am confused as to what you are tying to say.

Hydra: Sadly I have hit the same road blocks on this issue as you have. It seems that all changes that have influenced people seem to be about generating a lack of compassion and trust towards people, never the other way around.

I suppose the "Christmas Carrol" might work, but also seemed to involve a "Godlike" persona (Ghosts) to execute the effect.

I suppose I am seeking the same effect as an outlook change that comes from accepting a new world view or discovering a higher purpose in life, discovering the effect of your own actions, etc, etc, which as it stands seems to only come from religious experiences or something akin them, with out the religious influence. Which is now making me wonder if that is even plausible.

Sadly I kinda want to play into the realm of real people with real actions.

I suppose I could use a "God" if it comes to that.

Oooo yah :: Edit :: in case I have not mentioned this, I am asking this question to get an idea for a situation for my MC to "wake up" and realize the evils of his own actions.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

What Changes People. Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : What Changes People. Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: What Changes People.   What Changes People. Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2008, 4:02 pm

I don't think there has to be a supernatural element to a story of someone facing up to the harm their actions have caused.

There have been several television talk shows that have done it. You know made KKK members go live with a black family for a week or put thin people who make fun of overweight people in fat suits and paraded them around town.

The courts and judges have also tried their hands at this tactic as well. I recall a recent case where a drunk driver was forced to live with the photo of crash victim displayed in their home. Slum lords have been forced to live in run down apartments... I think that one might have even been made into a movie.

You really don't have to look to far for real life examples of this sort of thing being attempted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: What Changes People.   What Changes People. Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2008, 9:48 pm

OOo those are very good examples of things. Yah, that Fat suit thing would be very ideal for what I am thinking about. The Proverbial "Chink in the Armor"

Thank you, I was looking for RL examples that one hits the nail on the head for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Changes People.   What Changes People. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Changes People.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: