Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Empty33%Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Empty67%Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero EmptyDefining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Voting_bar2Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero EmptyDefining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Voting_bar2Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero

Go down 
+2
Shadow Dragon
Leaka
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Leaka

Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Empty
PostSubject: Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero   Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2008, 3:44 pm

What is evil?
What is justice?
If you read and you watch a lot of shows. We always view the bad guy as evil, but if you truly look at it. The bad guy is just a rebel. He's causing a civil war, he's breaking out of the rules. Does that make justice, our fear of change? If a bad guy wants to change the world, but we say its evil to do that....does that make justice fear of change? What defines an action as evil? What defines someone as evil? What defines someone a hero or good? What defines an action of justice?
Hope that wasn't to confusing.
Back to top Go down
Shadow Dragon

Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Scribbler-1
Shadow Dragon

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero   Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2008, 4:20 pm

Good and Evil are very subjective. It all depends on the person's pov.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero   Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2008, 4:48 pm

These are all things mankind has been struggling to define since we evolved to a point where we became self-aware and realized that death is going to come claim us all, eventually. I don't think you're going to find any concrete answers here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
TerishD

Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2008, 5:55 pm

Ah, leave to political season to clearly answer some questions.

The government (any government) is evil. It is the good people who try to limit or who are suppressed by the government.

Justice is when the government loses a fight due to the complexity of their own system.

A hero is anyone who supports the common man against tyranny.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Urs

Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero   Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2008, 9:38 pm

Leaka wrote:
What is evil?
What is justice?
If you read and you watch a lot of shows. We always view the bad guy as evil, but if you truly look at it. The bad guy is just a rebel. He's causing a civil war, he's breaking out of the rules. Does that make justice, our fear of change? If a bad guy wants to change the world, but we say its evil to do that....does that make justice fear of change? What defines an action as evil? What defines someone as evil? What defines someone a hero or good? What defines an action of justice?
Hope that wasn't to confusing.

These are amazingly insightful questions and writers and story tellers from as far back as there have been stories have wrestled with this very idea and stand. I suppose to ask this question might even be the start of self realization.

Wonderful question and not confusing at all.

I wish I had an answer for you, but the greatest minds in our past and present have set down to solve this riddle, countless novels, poems, stories and fables have surrounded this question.

But still a great question.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Chrome

Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Scribbler-1
Chrome

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero   Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Icon_minitimeOctober 11th 2008, 4:36 am

I'll try my best to satisfy those questions, because I personally have satisfied myself with answers to them.

The world has many forms of life, spiritual and tangible. Most of them have one center of thought, one aspiration and one idol. With this objective, they keep doing what they just 'know'. This procedure of obedience to the process of 'knowing' and then believing in it is nature. To do and act at your instinct is nature. There are forces which rebel this obedience, and hamper the equilibrium of nature. We'll see to that later.

So, long story short: nature in constant obedience of an inspiration which is set into their minds, and they follow it. In nature, humans are also involved. Where whatever nature does effects the equilibrium of this world, what man does has an equal impact.

Technically it would mean that since almost all of humans act at our nature, we are also in constant obedience of this center. But no, we're not. Because our instinct has been clouded by the forces in this world who rebel this obedience. Is that evil?

Yes, it is. It is fair to rebel someone who knows as much as you or less than you, who is the same as you or lower in rank than you and someone who has the same power as you or lesser than it. When we literally speak of obedience to a center which is free of imperfections and weaknesses, we shouldn't rebel because what the center does is out of irrefutable wisdom, and we cannot understand it through our visions sometimes. It's like children and parents. Except sometimes, children rebel towards their parents and feel their parents are wrong, when their parents are doing the right thing.

Our actions alter equilibrium, and that happens when we rebel to ultimate truth. Is there ultimate truth? Yes, you and me, we are ultimate truth. If you believe we don't exist, then that's your perspective, but scientifically and logically, our existence is an ultimate truth. What happens is ultimate, and finally, what IS is IS. You can't change, through beliefs and claims, and proposing ideas, what IS. Death IS there. These realities which we either don't see or don't want to see, are ultimate truths. So, here’s a summary of forces in and out of this world:
1) Obedient forces
2) Rebellious forces
3) Infinite/irrefutable wisdom
4) Ultimate truth
Now, to your questions Leaka.

Quote :
What is evil?
Rebelling infinite wisdom and ultimate truth.

Quote :
What is justice?
The persons scarred in process of this rebellion are given their right to claim negative actions against the rebel. It is harsh, but logical. It is a part of equilibrium. Give and take.

Quote :
If you read and you watch a lot of shows. We always view the bad guy as evil, but if you truly look at it. The bad guy is just a rebel. He's causing a civil war, he's breaking out of the rules. Does that make justice, our fear of change?
No. Change is needed if there are imperfections. The world is imperfect, but not the one force steering the wheel. You can aim to change the world, but not the laws because they have been defined by infinite wisdom. The laws are ultimate truths. (By these laws I don’t mean the government, but the laws of nature and reality)

Quote :
What defines someone as evil?
No one can be judged properly till this date. We can only use his claims against him e.g. a man calls himself a murderer, then we can say that to him. But to derive explanations without any base is evil itself. It is best to just wish for him to rejoin the equilibrium, unless he openly harms the peace. Then, as an advocate of equilibrium, we must do something to punish him to save the world. Some may argue that he should be forgiven to promote love and kindness and perhaps that he would be sorry, but the question arises: do I have the right to forgive someone for the wrong they do to someone else? Unless it's my own, I have no right to deal another person's life.

Quote :
What defines someone a hero or good?
Does he promote the tranquility of the world? Does he adhere to the equilibrium?

Quote :
What defines an action of justice?
Justice is impossible in this world. Tell me, if we talk of ultimate truths, how can we give justice to Hitler? Impossible. Even if we try, we cannot fully repay the million Jews he persecuted, the fear he invoked in people's hearts, the families which were torn, the tears which were shed, the world economy trashed, the nature destroyed...As humans, it is not possible. We can only remove one from the equilibrium or from the position of being able to harm the equilibrium, until the end of time comes and these weaknesses are finally removed.

Anyone not agreeing does not offend me, unless they make accusative claims.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero   Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Defining Evil, Good, Justice, and Hero
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: