Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
What is... Empty33%What is... Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
What is... Empty67%What is... Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
What is... Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
What is... Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
What is... Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
What is... Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
What is... Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
What is... EmptyWhat is... Voting_bar2What is... Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

What is...

Go down 
+2
HYdraMStar
Snacker
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Snacker

What is... ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : What is... Caring10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

What is... Empty
PostSubject: What is...   What is... Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 9:44 pm

...your favorite Horror Movie?

Halloween is around the corner and that means there will be new horror movies in theater and older ones running on TV. So let us know, what is your favorite Horror Movie? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
HYdraMStar

What is... Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : What is... Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

What is... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is...   What is... Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 9:53 pm

The Masque of the Red Death, is my favorite classic horror movie. Vincent Price as Prince Prospero just kicks so much ass he blows nearly every other villain I can think of completely out of the water.

28 Days Later, is my favorite resent horror movie. I like it because half the horror comes from humanity just being humanity (the soldiers).

But the movie that scared me the most, which is hard, is Jaws. My parents thought it was a grand idea to show me this one when I was really young, then take me to visit the shark tanks at Sea World, and then to the beach for a swim... That worked out really well for them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
TerishD

What is... ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : What is... Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

What is... Empty
PostSubject: Reply   What is... Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 10:41 pm

My favorite is the first Poltergeist. I simply love the scene where the father comes home and his wife EXPLAINS what the strange phenomenon will do. For a horror movie, it worked on a very rational level.

"28 Days Later" was good, but it failed just like every zombie movie that attempted to explain the zombie epidemic has failed. Zombie movies are fun. I tell the story of taking my kids to the remake of "Dawn of the Dead" and worried that some 'good-intentioned' busy-body would harass me for taking my children to a R-rated monster flick. When I got inside however, a major percentage of the attendance was kids. I wasn't the only parent that considered a zombie flick as family entertainment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Leaka

What is... Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : What is... Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

What is... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is...   What is... Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 10:51 pm

My favorite horror movie, also a science fiction film:
John Carpenter's The Thing 1982

This is the one and only movie that scared me real bad. I wanted all the lights on, I kept checking my corners. For a week after watching the film, I didn't want to touch any foreign substances afraid the Thing would get me.
That movie scared me pretty bad. But I love to watch it because its one of those movies that stands the test of time.
Back to top Go down
Snacker

What is... ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : What is... Caring10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

What is... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is...   What is... Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2008, 7:52 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:
28 Days Later, is my favorite resent horror movie. I like it because half the horror comes from humanity just being humanity (the soldiers).

I have only seen about the second half of '28 Days Later', but what I've seen so far was awesome. I love zombie movies, just like '30 Days of Night'. 'Dawn of the Dead' isn't bad either.

I don't even know if I have a favorite one. There are so many good horror movies out there and so many I like.

I can't wait to see Saw V. Like all the previous movies of it, I'm sure it's gonna be a great one.

I have to think about it if there is a movie that actually 'scares' me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
Oceanwhisper

What is... NewScribbler-1

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-20

What is... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is...   What is... Icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2008, 12:42 am

Hm. Tough choice. My favorite older horror film is Silence of the Lambs. It didn't scare me as much as it drew me into it, and that's what I found exciting. The actors did such a great job portraying thier roles I felt involved.

My favorite recent horror film is Sweeney Todd. I've always enjoyed the horror aspect in musicals, like the Phantom of the Opera. This one was no different. ^.^
Back to top Go down
Leaka

What is... Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : What is... Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

What is... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is...   What is... Icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2008, 1:37 pm

Snacker wrote:
HYdraMStar wrote:

I have only seen about the second half of '28 Days Later', but what I've seen so far was awesome. I love zombie movies, just like '30 Days of Night'. 'Dawn of the Dead' isn't bad either.

I don't even know if I have a favorite one. There are so many good horror movies out there and so many I like.

I can't wait to see Saw V. Like all the previous movies of it, I'm sure it's gonna be a great one.

I have to think about it if there is a movie that actually 'scares' me.

30 days of night was a lame movie, liked the comic, but the movie was lame.

Saw is one of the worse movies I have seen on the planet.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : What is... Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

What is... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is...   What is... Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2008, 9:40 am

I have seen most of the new movies, but The Masque of the Red Death this one I have not seen. I have read a story about it, I think, bit I have not seen the movie.

Anyway, of that I enjoyed was Hellraiser the first one. The one with the insane asylum was also good "It is not hands that call us, it is desire"

Zombie flicks rule, best one to date was Freddy vs Jason, I had my wife laughing and she hates horror movies.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
HYdraMStar

What is... Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : What is... Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

What is... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is...   What is... Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2008, 4:31 pm

Urs wrote:
I have seen most of the new movies, but The Masque of the Red Death this one I have not seen. I have read a story about it, I think, bit I have not seen the movie.

It is LOOSELY based on the Edgar Allen Poe story by the same title.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : What is... Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

What is... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is...   What is... Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2008, 7:29 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:

It is LOOSELY based on the Edgar Allen Poe story by the same title.

I am going to have to say, if you say this is a good movie, then you have piqued my interest.

I am now going to see what i can do about renting it and watching it.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

What is... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is...   What is... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: Scribbles Cafe'-
Jump to: