Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Male or Female Empty33%Male or Female Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Male or Female Empty67%Male or Female Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Male or Female Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Male or Female Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Male or Female Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Male or Female Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Male or Female Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Male or Female EmptyMale or Female Voting_bar2Male or Female Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Male or Female

Go down 
+4
Chrome
TerishD
HYdraMStar
Leaka
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Leaka

Male or Female Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Male or Female Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Male or Female   Male or Female Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 8:58 pm

In books that you read, what gender of character do you usually relate to more?
Male or female?
Or do you relate to both genders?

I relate more to male characters, I am not a big fan of female characters. They annoy me to no end. It a has nothing to do with their gender I just don't like their attitude. Makes me want to go into the book and slap the main character. And once again it has nothing to do with their gender.
Just the way they a presented.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

Male or Female Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Male or Female Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 9:09 pm

Hmmm, I don't know that I've ever noticed any pull one way or the other.

What is it about these female characters' attitudes that you find so annoying? Are they basically stereotypical female attitudes? Or is it something else all together?

And have these characters and books been written mostly by authors or authoresses? Sometimes I think getting into the head of the other gender without writing stereotypes can be difficult. Not every writer can do it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Leaka

Leaka

Male

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 10:45 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:

What is it about these female characters' attitudes that you find so annoying? Are they basically stereotypical female attitudes? Or is it something else all together?
And have these characters and books been written mostly by authors or authoresses?
I don't like the rebellious type of girl who is fun and flirty in stories, it annoys me to know end when she comes up with these "quick witty responses". I don't like the girl who doesn't follow the rules because she think she is cool. I don't like popular girls to begin with, so stories about popular girls annoy me.
Girls who think they need to dress up as guys, so that way they can be equal a.k.a Joan of Arc stories.
I don't like girl characters in general.
Shockingly all the stories I have read about girls are written by woman. Actually I find a lot of stories now a days with female characters as the main character.
Back to top Go down
TerishD

Male or Female ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Male or Female Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Male or Female Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 11:23 pm

My first children were females, so I tried to write stories for them or from what I could imagine as being their perspective. I find that I put more thought into a female lead, so enjoy telling and reading those stories more. I tend to be more 'comfortable' in a male role, so make more mistakes.

I agree that I don't enjoy the 'cocky' attitude, but that goes for male or female. There are places for a 'cocky' attitude however, so it can be entertaining, but it needs to be defined where characters feel in control and where they don't.

I also do not enjoy stories where a character is not comfortable with their identity (or does not become comfortable with their identity through the story). I do a lot of transformations in my general stories, and push the philosophy that one needs to be accepting of what duties life presents while working to improve what one can improve. I stress highly that there is no shame in being a woman or pride in being a man. Take pleasure in being who and what you are.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Chrome

Male or Female Scribbler-1
Chrome

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2008, 4:46 am

Good reasons Leaka. I am so totally up for it. These stereotypes annoy me.

I had three phases in my writing. As a child, I would lean towards female leads. Hell, that'd be the reason I'd write because I'd replace popular male lead stories/cartoon shows with female leads. They would be stereotypical sometimes too.

As a tween, I tended to act as though I preferred female leads, but the truth was that I hung between both. I've never had problem handling either gender, so it worked out well.

As a teenager, (boy, it's been 3 years now) I tend to prefer male leads. I'm trying to overcome that; thus I'm using female characters in RPGs and novels. I think I have a hate for the female gender, and find the male mind a more logical and dynamic one.

Scientifically, it makes sense. Female brains have more connections in their brain, particularly the hypothalamus (hence the fact that females not only have emotional tendencies, also their temperature control is better than men since the hypothalamus is the temperature center). They tend to make overly fantastical and melodramatic stories, and I find myself victim of that in some cases. The characters tend to be so diplomatic and yet, 'distant'. I harness little emotional capacity so female characters are becoming a weird species to me. Though, like I said, I'm trying to grab hold of the rein once more.
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Leaka

Male

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2008, 2:05 pm

Chrome wrote:
Good reasons Leaka. I am so totally up for it. These stereotypes annoy me.

I had three phases in my writing. As a child, I would lean towards female leads. Hell, that'd be the reason I'd write because I'd replace popular male lead stories/cartoon shows with female leads. They would be stereotypical sometimes too.

As a tween, I tended to act as though I preferred female leads, but the truth was that I hung between both. I've never had problem handling either gender, so it worked out well.

As a teenager, (boy, it's been 3 years now) I tend to prefer male leads. I'm trying to overcome that; thus I'm using female characters in RPGs and novels. I think I have a hate for the female gender, and find the male mind a more logical and dynamic one.

Scientifically, it makes sense. Female brains have more connections in their brain, particularly the hypothalamus (hence the fact that females not only have emotional tendencies, also their temperature control is better than men since the hypothalamus is the temperature center). They tend to make overly fantastical and melodramatic stories, and I find myself victim of that in some cases. The characters tend to be so diplomatic and yet, 'distant'. I harness little emotional capacity so female characters are becoming a weird species to me. Though, like I said, I'm trying to grab hold of the rein once more.

I've tried to make female characters, but its hard when you don't have the chemicals of a female.
Back to top Go down
alexandra

Male or Female ScribbleSuperr
alexandra

Female
Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2008, 3:00 pm

I've done stories with male and female characters, they're different. Sometimes it's better (for me) to have a male lead than a female lead in certain situations or when I want the story to go one way or another and some other times, it's the other way around.

I don't have a particular like or a particular dislike for either.
Back to top Go down
http://alexandrariera.spaces.live.com/
Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2008, 3:16 pm

I'm fine either way, but I hate it when they're very stereotypical genderized characters. The guy just wants to get laid and the girl can only think of shoes and shopping.

Also, I hate it when either one of them agrees to go along with how others want them to be, just because they are a guy or girl.
Back to top Go down
Teele

Teele

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2008, 3:45 pm

Generally speaking, I agree with TerishD. I like characters who, through the course of the story, become content with who and what they are. Of course, in many cases the joy of the story is their journey towards this discovery.

But as to writing, I really have no preference. Of course, being male (and being proud of the fact) I tend to relate much better to my male characters. I try not to make my females stereotypical, leaning rather towards the philosophy that they are still human beings.

Generally, to keep tabs on my female characters, I'll ask a female to review my work and make sure it jives with a general female psyche. lol.

The thing of it is; everybody's different, and to isolate the tendencies of males and females without moving to stereotypes is a challenge. I think I do okay, but the ladies will have to verify that. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.theclaybox.ca
Urs

Male or Female ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Male or Female Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2008, 4:57 pm

I am a firm believer that If the author as good enough they could make people relate to a neutered dog with a gender identity disorder. pig

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Leaka

Leaka

Male

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2008, 7:32 pm

Urs wrote:
I am a firm believer that If the author as good enough they could make people relate to a neutered dog with a gender identity disorder. pig

lol!

That's just a very creeping and disturbing thought.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Male or Female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male or Female   Male or Female Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Male or Female
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: