Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Randomness Empty33%Randomness Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Randomness Empty67%Randomness Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Randomness Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Randomness Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Randomness Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Randomness Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Randomness Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Randomness EmptyRandomness Voting_bar2Randomness Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Randomness

Go down 
+5
HYdraMStar
TerishD
Leaka
Thagryn-Sylrand
Kellycakes
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Kellycakes

Randomness ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Randomness Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Randomness   Randomness Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2008, 12:49 am

Tell us something random about yourself, that you wouldn't otherwise share. Ready, set, GO!
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
Thagryn-Sylrand

Randomness NewScribbler-1

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randomness   Randomness Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2008, 1:00 am

i used to collect pencils, u know odd pencils regular ones, i have a box of them downstairs
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Randomness Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Randomness Evil10

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randomness   Randomness Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2008, 1:00 am

I collect pant lint, weird, odd, and yet fun
Back to top Go down
TerishD

Randomness ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Randomness Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Randomness Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2008, 7:55 am

My most favorite story is my own "Legend of Lyiassalor" that I wrote in the summer after my first wife left. I have never posted it. I thought that I had lost it, but in cleaning one day I found it over the box covering the top of the window under which I write. I read it with pleasure, then put it back to continue its protective place over me. It is a wonderful story, but for now I keep it as my own.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
HYdraMStar

Randomness Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Randomness Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randomness   Randomness Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2008, 8:12 am

When I think of myself in the third person, which is I can assure you more often then the average person does, I think of myself as Hydra and not the name I was given at birth and grew up with for seventeen years. Most people who know me personally call me Hydra, but when someone, like a teller at the bank or a teacher at my daughter's school, call me by my legal name it usually take a moment for it to register that they're talking to me. This is so true that at least three times when I've been woken up by a ringing phone I've answered only to tell the person, usually a distance relative, they have the wrong number and no one by my name lives here. Even my on mother now asks for Hydra when she calls, after being hung up on during one of these early morning calls.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Bick

Randomness ScribbleSuperr
Bick

Female
Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randomness   Randomness Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2008, 10:46 am

Ever since that first wasp sting, I've always been terrified of wasps, bees and such. Yet at the same time since I could walk, I've always had a fascination with insects. It was only a few months ago that I really got over my fear of the sting, when I read up on the ichneumon (whom is my all time favorite insect.), which looks much like a wasp, scarier then most that I've seen, yet is considered a fly. It's 'stinger' (oviposture? Something of that sort.) is actually an egg-laying device. It's terrifyingly long, and looks very sharp, but at the same time the wasp is known for being very helpful to us and the environment. Ever since then, slowly was able to come over my fear of wasps, and now I can silently watch as all the many little stingers buzz over my sunflowers.
Back to top Go down
Teele

Randomness Scribbler-1
Teele

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randomness   Randomness Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2008, 12:12 pm

I have somehow developed this bad typing habit that dictates that I press the spacebar with my index finger, rather than my thumb. lol. I've been working on breaking that habit and it appears to be working. Very Happy

I also collect dice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theclaybox.ca
KillarasGhost

Randomness NewScribbler-1

Female
Number of posts : 21

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randomness   Randomness Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2008, 1:03 pm

Bick wrote:
Ever since that first wasp sting, I've always been terrified of wasps, bees and such. Yet at the same time since I could walk, I've always had a fascination with insects. It was only a few months ago that I really got over my fear of the sting, when I read up on the ichneumon (whom is my all time favorite insect.), which looks much like a wasp, scarier then most that I've seen, yet is considered a fly. It's 'stinger' (oviposture? Something of that sort.) is actually an egg-laying device. It's terrifyingly long, and looks very sharp, but at the same time the wasp is known for being very helpful to us and the environment. Ever since then, slowly was able to come over my fear of wasps, and now I can silently watch as all the many little stingers buzz over my sunflowers.

That reminds me per wasps that used to nest outside my mums back door. Wheneve i've needed to go outside to light the wood heater or for another reason, I would talk to them in vain hopes they wouldn't swarm around me and sting me to death. Same goes for dogs. Well, dogs that seem like they want to rip my throat out and there's only a gate between them and myself. I would talke to them like "Hi, how's it going?" etc... vain, vain hopes they wouldn't hurt me. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

Randomness ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Randomness Th_wel10

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randomness   Randomness Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2008, 3:29 pm

I collect cigarette lighters. Not just the pretty ones, or odd ones, the plain ones too!
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randomness   Randomness Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2008, 4:50 pm

My feet are freakishly small. I wear a size 5 in children's footwear. But my toes are very dexterous. I don't wear shoes/socks around the house and I regularly pick up small items I drop, such as coins or pieces of paper, with my feet.
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Randomness Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Randomness Evil10

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randomness   Randomness Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2008, 5:41 pm

I put random things in the shopping cart and then take them out when I feel like it, its an obsession that has grown from my childhood. I think its a habit and an addiction.
Back to top Go down
Bick

Bick

Female

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randomness   Randomness Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2008, 6:02 pm

I have a daughter. I don't exactly remember how old she is, and as much as I love children, I rarely feel bad for adopting her out.

I constantly listen to Classical music, and the oldies (Frank Sinatra and such.).

I'm afraid of flushing toilets, I run away just as they flush so it's usually the last thing I do.

I can't drink more then a cup of milk before I'm sick most of the night.

I'm afraid of heights yet I can easily climb a tree...
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randomness   Randomness Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2008, 6:12 pm

Bick wrote:
I'm afraid of flushing toilets, I run away just as they flush so it's usually the last thing I do.

My daughter has recently developed this same fear. I have no idea where it's come from. But she comes running out of the bathroom now every time she uses it.

I have a whole different phobia of toilets, which as to do with an unreasonable fear that 'something' is going to come up through it. I think it comes from a snake coming up through my grandmother's pipes and into the her toilet when I was little, but I'm not afraid of snakes at all, so go figure.
Back to top Go down
Bick

Bick

Female

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randomness   Randomness Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2008, 6:16 pm

Quote :
My daughter has recently developed this same fear. I have no idea where it's come from. But she comes running out of the bathroom now every time she uses it.

Surprised! No way. Someone with the same fear as me. It's good to know I'm not alone.

Quote :
I have a whole different phobia of toilets, which as to do with an unreasonable fear that 'something' is going to come up through it. I think it comes from a snake coming up through my grandmother's pipes and into the her toilet when I was little, but I'm not afraid of snakes at all, so go figure.

My fear of the flushing toilet has alot to do with it. It's more of a panic of habit then an actual fear.

There was a child's show from when I was younger called "AHHH!!! Real Monsters!" I grew up watching it and they came through the plumbing to scare innocent people. As a child, I watched the show almost religiously, and it started to get to me, and Ieventually I became afraid of the toilet. And for a bit I stopped flushing xD

Maybe your daughter's seen the show? Or maybe the sound's scary? I know, cats are different then people, but my 6 month old kitten is terrified of the noise.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randomness   Randomness Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2008, 6:26 pm

Bick wrote:

Maybe your daughter's seen the show? Or maybe the sound's scary? I know, cats are different then people, but my 6 month old kitten is terrified of the noise.

No, the only television she watches is a little PBS before school.

I'm pretty sure it's the sound. She has Aspergers, which basically means she processes and responds to sights and sounds a little different then the rest of us. She'll likely get over it just as suddenly as it came on. I hope so anyway, because sometimes when we go out she won't go into a public restroom if she hears someone inside flush a toilet... She is also only seven.
Back to top Go down
Snacker

Randomness ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : Randomness Caring10

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randomness   Randomness Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2008, 7:43 pm

My index toes are a bit longer than the big ones and thin as well. They got the name 'Alien Toe', because they just look like E.T.'s finger when he says "E.T. phone home".
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Randomness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randomness   Randomness Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Randomness
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: Scribbles Cafe'-
Jump to: