Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Can Men and Women Be Friends? Empty33%Can Men and Women Be Friends? Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Can Men and Women Be Friends? Empty67%Can Men and Women Be Friends? Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Can Men and Women Be Friends? EmptyCan Men and Women Be Friends? Voting_bar2Can Men and Women Be Friends? Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Can Men and Women Be Friends? EmptyCan Men and Women Be Friends? Voting_bar2Can Men and Women Be Friends? Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Can Men and Women Be Friends?

Go down 
+6
Urs
x_paramore
soujiroseta
lackeyagogo
TerishD
HYdraMStar
10 posters

Can men and women be friends?
Yes
Can Men and Women Be Friends? Empty78%Can Men and Women Be Friends? Empty
 78% [ 14 ]
No
Can Men and Women Be Friends? Empty11%Can Men and Women Be Friends? Empty
 11% [ 2 ]
Not Sure
Can Men and Women Be Friends? Empty11%Can Men and Women Be Friends? Empty
 11% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 18

AuthorMessage
HYdraMStar

Can Men and Women Be Friends? Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Can Men and Women Be Friends? Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Can Men and Women Be Friends? Empty
PostSubject: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2008, 11:56 pm

This was a topic recently on a local television 'news' show. Can men and women really be just friends? Or does sexual feelings/tension and gender differences always come into play and threaten/destroy the friendship? And if you have a friend of the opposite sex should you share secrets or thoughts with them that you don't with your life partner?
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2008, 12:02 am

I've always had a lot of male friends. Granted many of them have been/are gay, but not all of them. On top of this many of my male friends are either married or in serious relationships and usually I'm, to a lesser degree, friends with their wives as well.

Now, I have had some problems with male friends in the past, but I don't know if that was because of gender or just because these relationships just weren't build on a strong enough foundation of mutual respect.
Back to top Go down
TerishD

Can Men and Women Be Friends? ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Can Men and Women Be Friends? Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2008, 12:40 am

Yes, men and women can be friends. There has to be something however to out-weigh the sexual attraction and differences.

I have female friends from my younger days, and we interact without problem. We went our own ways, and have somehow found our own directions to be only passing and not joining. We might be male/female, but only friends. I believe that such proves the point right there.

Right now I teach, and interact with numerous females. The younger ones know that I look, but also know that I show no interest in them (so sometimes call me a homo). The older ones know that I look, but also know that I show no interest in them (so relate to me without fear). My problem is that I went through two horrible marriages, and have NO desire to enter another relationshp. I like the female form, but consider it dynamite. I am not going to touch. If I was giving different signals, I believe the ladies would be much more reserved around me, so still nothing more than a friendly relationship would develop.

For anything more than a friendship to develop, there must be a willingness on BOTH sides. Often the signals are not there, or they are not received properly, so ONLY a friendship happens. Thus, even a hot-shot Romeo will have females that are nothing more than friends (and the same for the hot-to-trot vixen).
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
lackeyagogo

Can Men and Women Be Friends? NewScribbler-1
lackeyagogo

Male
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2008, 2:50 pm

I say yes, absolutely. As a matter of fact, some of my best friends (some, heh) are ex's from ages ago. The sexuality has to be dealt with one way or the other. Either get to it or move past it and be friends.
It did seem to get easier as I got older, though. Hormones are a real b***h.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lackeyent
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2008, 5:33 pm

Well, I'm glad to see you guys have responded so positively to this question. I posted it in part because out of the twenty or so people they 'interviewed' and who called into the show only one of two agreed it was possible for a man and a woman to be friends without jumping each others bones. Sort of sad, I thought, but I wasn't that shocked by it. I've been in countless romantic relationships with men who where very paranoid about me having male friends, even gay male friends.
Back to top Go down
soujiroseta

Can Men and Women Be Friends? ScribbleSuperr
soujiroseta

Male
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 11:01 pm

no. unless you do what lackeyagogo suggests and deal with the sexuality thing early. Its rare for me to come across to a single guy and girl being just friends. I find that someone always has feeling for the other at some stage. So no unless you nip it in the bud early and get it over with.
Back to top Go down
x_paramore

Can Men and Women Be Friends? Scribbler-1
x_paramore

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2008, 2:05 pm

Welll, I may only be 16 but it's pretty hard for guys and girls to be ''just friends''--in my school anyway. Even if you ARE just friends, and neither of you actually feel anything more for the other, everybody still expects something to be going on. /eyeroll.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Can Men and Women Be Friends? Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2008, 8:36 pm

Guys want to have sex with girls, it is just one of those things. They will "Pretend" to be your friend in some vain hope to get a piece from you, rebound is still laid as far as they go.

So the only way for a man and a woman to be "Just Friends" is if the sexual tension is removed.

Examples: Hydra's post of Gay men. That is one way to remove the sexual tension. She gave another example of happily married men, which is good.

In these cases the men would be "Just friends" and leave it at that, do not try to play them, they have no hope or desire for your body as such they will not "Do all those stupid things your other guy friends would do" they will also tell you flat out if that dress makes your ass look fat.

But the truth is, the Guys that most girls think are just friends, are not, they want some of that, and they are willing to pretend to give a rats hoot about you to get a chance at it. In truth they are thinking "I can't have sex with your childhood dreams why the heck am even pretending to pay attention to this crap?" then you bend over and remind them and go back to telling them how you wanted to be a princess when you grew up.

It's life, deal.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon

Number of posts : 55

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2008, 8:55 pm

I really believe that men and women can be just friends. Not every guy sees girls just as a chance to get laid. I have a question, since I'm bi does that mean I couldn't be just friends with anyone? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2008, 8:59 pm

Shadow Dragon wrote:
I have a question, since I'm bi does that mean I couldn't be just friends with anyone? Rolling Eyes

That my also be why I have a very different view on this. I'm bi and I have lots of female friends I don't have ANY sexual feelings for; a good part of them being either bisexual or lesbian themselves. So, it only seems natural to me that straight people (men) can/are the same way, but maybe it really is different for them.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2008, 9:20 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:
Shadow Dragon wrote:
I have a question, since I'm bi does that mean I couldn't be just friends with anyone? Rolling Eyes

That my also be why I have a very different view on this. I'm bi and I have lots of female friends I don't have ANY sexual feelings for; a good part of them being either bisexual or lesbian themselves. So, it only seems natural to me that straight people (men) can/are the same way, but maybe it really is different for them.

It is different for most straight men. It stems from an evolutionary desire by man to spread his seed and reproduce, it is a bit more involved then just "Feels good" type of thing, hence why men will have sex even with ugly women that they do not find physically attractive (Up to even borderline repulsive), or sex with women that they are not emotionally attracted to at all, simply for the desire to have sex.

With that in mind, it has to be far deeper then "Feels Good" and need for sexual gratification as masturbation could/should curb the desire but it does not.

That is what I was told on the Discover channel documentary about Sex at least.

On a personal note I would wager that Homosexual relations are different as their is not a few million years of evolutionary drive to continue the species backing their urges. As such the sexual encounter would be purely for the simple joy of sexual intimacy or for physical display of emotional connection.

Shadow Dragon wrote:
I really believe that men and women can be just friends. Not every guy sees girls just as a chance to get laid. I have a question, since I'm bi does that mean I couldn't be just friends with anyone? Rolling Eyes

It is a primal urge for most men to be this way, one might even say a necessity for the continuation of the species for heterosexual men to be this way. This is not a bad thing, it is not degrading woman in any way because it is not a taught condition, it is a primal instinct to desire the coupling, it takes willpower or conditioning to override it, and then it is just suppressed for the time being, it has not gone away.

Sure you could be friends with woman, that you found or deemed yourself to be incompatible with due to the fact that they were repulsive to you in some manner.

Look at how you will, it is life and quite literally, the nature of things.
Back to top Go down
soujiroseta

Can Men and Women Be Friends? ScribbleSuperr
soujiroseta

Male
Number of posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2008, 12:18 am

im with ungoof(Urs) on this one. unless you remove that sexual tension there's no going around it. I probably think that this is how it is for a lot of straight men.
Back to top Go down
Teele

Teele

Male
Number of posts : 73

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2008, 9:52 am

I think another factor that plays into this is your general outlook on life. I know, for myself, I'm way more interested in getting to know people (even of the female kind) personally, rather than just physically. Of course, I feel the sexual desire common to man, but it is controlled and suppressed. The reason I do this is, I believe the person themselves is the important thing; not just their body. I wouldn't be interested in having sex with someone I don't know and trust. So, generally, on my end at least, the sexuality has already been dealt with; even before the friendship starts.

I've had numerous friends that are girls, and there has been real interest in something more. From personal experience, I'd say that yes, guys and girls can be friends.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theclaybox.ca
Iulia

Iulia

Female
Number of posts : 27
Current Mood : Can Men and Women Be Friends? Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2008, 3:23 pm

I say, absolutely. Even if there is attraction, people aren't animals who can't control themselves. I have a lot of guy friends, and some are even single without there being any tension (at least on my side). I'm straight and a lot of my male friends are straight, and I think that not only is it possible, it's important to have just friends of both genders.
Back to top Go down
Teele

Teele

Male
Number of posts : 73

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2008, 3:27 pm

Couldn't agree more, Iulia! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.theclaybox.ca
Wicked Redhead

Wicked Redhead

Female
Number of posts : 21
Current Mood : Can Men and Women Be Friends? Evil10
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2009, 1:49 am

Of course they can be friends!

For those of you who said 'no' I'm curious as to your answer- who would a bi-sexual be friends with?
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2009, 11:32 am

Wicked Redhead wrote:
Of course they can be friends!

For those of you who said 'no' I'm curious as to your answer- who would a bi-sexual be friends with?

Shadow Dragon already asked this question. And I believe sufficent answer has been provided.
Back to top Go down
Wicked Redhead

Wicked Redhead

Female
Number of posts : 21
Current Mood : Can Men and Women Be Friends? Evil10
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2009, 4:36 pm

Ah, that's what I get for not reading all the comments. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can Men and Women Be Friends?   Can Men and Women Be Friends? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can Men and Women Be Friends?
Page 1 of 1