Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Cliches Empty33%Cliches Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Cliches Empty67%Cliches Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Cliches Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Cliches Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Cliches Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Cliches Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Cliches Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Cliches EmptyCliches Voting_bar2Cliches Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Cliches

Go down 
+2
Kellycakes
HYdraMStar
6 posters
AuthorMessage
HYdraMStar

Cliches Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Cliches Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Cliches   Cliches Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2008, 11:33 pm

This is usually a popular thread on horror writers forums, so why don't have it here? What are the storyline, theme, or other cliches in whatever genre of writing that drive you up the wall?
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
HYdraMStar

Cliches Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cliches   Cliches Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2008, 11:50 pm

For me, and remember I read almost exclusively horror and dark fantasy fiction, the one that drives me crazier then all the rest is last minute divine intervention. The story is going along; people are dying and suffering all over the place, and the evil forces are running rampant, then at the very end divinity steps in and saves the hero and guides his/her hand towards victory. I mean really, where was this divinity with all these glories powers at the start of the trouble? It's just sloppy writing and an heavy handed way to force a happy ending.

Second to the this, are the local librarian types who have a bookcases or two full of 'occult' books of such amazing quality that if they were really on the market, or indeed real, Amazon.com would crash from people flooding their server within an hour. Seriously, where do I get these books, because I've looked?

Third and in the same vein as the second, witches, warlocks, and Satanists who kill babies or animals as part of their rituals. I mean it is one thing if these characters are in a fantasy setting, but when they are suppose to be 'real life' examples it smacks of ignorance and lack of research.

Finally, and this is a fairly recently born cliche, but strong female characters who buck all social restricts place on their gender and just happen to be living in the 1700s. Now, I'm sure there were women back in the day who didn't live the 'traditional' woman's life, but come on does every historical based fiction have to have one of them and why do they all dress like men/modern day women?
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

Cliches ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Cliches Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cliches   Cliches Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2008, 3:41 pm

My pet peeve is most in the area of poetry; most people who write poetry stick to love poems, they are so popular that it seems they have all been done. I would like to see some poetry that is different from all the rest; a different format, a different perspective on what love is or means to the writer. Just be different instead of falling into the category of normal.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
Leaka

Cliches Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Cliches Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cliches   Cliches Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2008, 5:28 pm

A cliche in horror:

Dumb teenagers who don't come up with good plans also a cliche because it seems like everyone likes to write about teenagers who don't know what they are doing.

Sexy vampires, enough of the sexy vampiers it's becoming a cliche because everyone does it now.

Some others:

Boy who finds out he is a wizard

Boy wizards in general

Person who lives poor life finds out he is royal blood

Quest tired of quest or journeys

Person who lives in farm life and finds out he is a chosen one

No more chosen ones

[I have more, but I can go on forever....I don't even think half of what I listed was a cliche]
Back to top Go down
TerishD

Cliches ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Cliches Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Cliches Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2008, 6:17 pm

Leaka - SEXY VAMPIRES? Dracula was a sexy vampire. I agree that there is nothing new in a sexy vampire, but there is nothing new in a sexy teenager either. I would rather read about a well presented sexually alluring vampire than some strutting rooster walking into a classroom. I agree that they have lost the drama and charm of the old gothic vampires. I just don't like the modern presentation of vampires. I don't consider them cliche, only bad.

I am tired of knowing the ending from the first chapter. Modern books are too predictable. It is not cliche, just outline writing where the author -- excuse me, WRITER, they really are not authoring -- knows what is going to happen and telegraphs it from page one.

I am tired of have so few characters that I can guess who did it by simply reviewing who COULD have done it. This is why I stopped watching television. I could often guess who did it by watching the opening credits list the guest stars, and definitely pick it just by how they were introduced.

I am tired of characters whining about "I don't know how to do it" when they haven't done anything to KNOW how to do it (Harry Potter basically had to be TOLD how and when to do the things he did).

I would like to see creativity and initiative return to main characters. Oh, on this same topic - TIME PASSES WITH NOTHING BEING DONE. This really drives me up the wall (Harry Potter again a good example). As a teacher, this does not bother me so much, as I can FLUNK those lazy whining creatures (Harry Potter would not have passed my class).
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Leaka

Cliches Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cliches   Cliches Icon_minitimeOctober 3rd 2008, 7:39 pm

TerishD wrote:
Leaka - SEXY VAMPIRES? Dracula was a sexy vampire. I agree that there is nothing new in a sexy vampire, but there is nothing new in a sexy teenager either. I would rather read about a well presented sexually alluring vampire than some strutting rooster walking into a classroom. I agree that they have lost the drama and charm of the old gothic vampires. I just don't like the modern presentation of vampires. I don't consider them cliche, only bad.
I consider them cliche.
Can't we have a disgusting vampire for once.
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

Cliches ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cliches   Cliches Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 4:05 pm

Quote :
TIME PASSES WITH NOTHING BEING DONE. This really drives me up the wall (Harry Potter again a good example). As a teacher, this does not bother me so much, as I can FLUNK those lazy whining creatures (Harry Potter would not have passed my class).

What do you mean about time passing with nothing being done? Can you give me an example from the Harry Potter books because I don't really understand.

I actually enjoyed the Potter books!
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
TerishD

TerishD

Male

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Cliches Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 7:06 pm

Well, for a LARGE example, the one with the little contest. Harry does not work to figure any of the clues out. He comes up against each contest basically with no preparation. It happens in all the other books as well. I understand that Rowlings is trying to stretch the story over a school year, but it does leave a lot of unproductive time.
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Cliches Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cliches   Cliches Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 7:09 pm

TerishD wrote:
Well, for a LARGE example, the one with the little contest. Harry does not work to figure any of the clues out. He comes up against each contest basically with no preparation. It happens in all the other books as well. I understand that Rowlings is trying to stretch the story over a school year, but it does leave a lot of unproductive time.

Um, that is the way teenagers are. I had always had the impression that she was doing it on purpose about Harry never find things on his own.
All kids want answers without figuring them out themselves. And sometimes Harry figured things out with no ones help.
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Cliches Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 8:30 pm

Shoot, I and most adults that I know want answers without having to figure them out. Rowlings is doing kids a disservice by presenting the idea that it actual happens - and can be depended upon to happen. Every now and then things will go my way, but I know to smile, relax, then get ready for the treadmill again.

Now, admittedly, picking on Rowlings is not fair. Harry Potter is not at any serious level (even though the story does get a little intense). It was just a convenient example. I read the stories. I even say good things about Book 5.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

Cliches Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cliches   Cliches Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 8:36 pm

I liked the Harry Potter books, but I still sort of agree with TerishD. It kind of seemed like the message was, if it's your destiny to do something then you'll do it. It doesn't matter if you are ill-prepared. It doesn't matter if you don't want to do. Hell, it doesn't even matter if you try. What will happen will happen, because it's meant to happen... Now, there is a danger message to depart to young people.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Cliches Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cliches   Cliches Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 9:21 pm

I hate to say this Trish D.

But as it stands, saying that a book series that have received near legendary status like, Harry Potter, would not pass your class, puts you in a very poor light. In my mind that is like a math teacher telling me that Einstein would have failed their class. (I leave it open for you to explain the how the examples differ)

Not to dwell on this, Anyway back on Topic.

A few things I can not stand.

The MC gets into a fight after fight against amazing odds and walks away unhurt.

This drives me nuts. I had to stop reading Orcs because of this. After four consecutive fights where they are out manned they still have not suffered a single loss.I mean I am cool with a fight here or there where Luck was on their side and they overcame superior odds and things like that. But is supposed to be Luck, not the norm.

Also. I love magic, I love fantasy, I live for Sci-Fi and all that, but the inclusion of Magic and High Tech does not allow for the removal of real world mechanics. Sorry! I just can not stand when an author thinks that because they have "Magic" that is an excuse to suspend the reality of life in general.

Those are my rants.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
TerishD

TerishD

Male

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Cliches Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 11:07 pm

Hey, legendary status INVITES ridicule. Truthfully, it is kid lit, so is an easy target for ridicule. You just cannot honestly hold kid lit up to the standard for a mature audience. I thus should be slapped for picking on an easy target (and I consider myself slapped).

But, I did read them. I read ALL seven of them. Trust me, if I did not like them, I would not have kept reading them. Some students have let me know that the third Eragon book is out. I let them know that I still had mental scars from reading the second book, and would not touch the third.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

Cliches Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cliches   Cliches Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2008, 5:03 am

I got another one, the social outcast that is murdered or put to death by the people of their town and they come back from the grave and kill everyone and anyone, but those who murdered them.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Cliches Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cliches   Cliches Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2008, 5:07 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:
I got another one, the social outcast that is murdered or put to death by the people of their town and they come back from the grave and kill everyone and anyone, but those who murdered them.

crap... there went the novel I was working on.

Basketball
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Iulia

Cliches NewScribbler-1
Iulia

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-09-30

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cliches   Cliches Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2008, 5:30 pm

Some of these I read and said "YES!" and some I read and said "oops". Even though I am one of the worst people about getting bothered by cliches, I usually finish any book I start. And if the cliches are found in moderation, I don't really mind them so much. I do believe a character should work hard to achieve their goals, rather than just achieving them, and I totally believe that if there's a battle where winning is against the odds, lives should be lost and the living should be injured.
I respectfully dissagree with TerishD's statement against time passing with nothing happening - it isn't like the characters just sat around for three days, it simply means nothing substantial happened, and the writer doesn't usually want to write about unsubstantial happenings, and the reader doesn't usually want to read about them. That's how life is, things aren't constantly exciting.
Anyway, I think this is a good thread, and the cliches named are good ones to watch out for . . .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cliches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cliches   Cliches Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cliches
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: