Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Quotes With Meanings Empty33%Quotes With Meanings Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Quotes With Meanings Empty67%Quotes With Meanings Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Quotes With Meanings Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Quotes With Meanings Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Quotes With Meanings Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Quotes With Meanings Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Quotes With Meanings Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Quotes With Meanings EmptyQuotes With Meanings Voting_bar2Quotes With Meanings Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Quotes With Meanings EmptyQuotes With Meanings Voting_bar2Quotes With Meanings Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Quotes With Meanings

Go down 
+3
Snacker
Kellycakes
JuJu
7 posters
AuthorMessage
JuJu

Quotes With Meanings ScribblesPrincess-1
JuJu

Female
Number of posts : 287
Current Mood : Quotes With Meanings Th_alo10
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Quotes With Meanings Empty
PostSubject: Quotes With Meanings   Quotes With Meanings Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2008, 4:54 am

If you are a reader or writer you have often read quotes by other famous or not so famous people. While reading did one or more of 'said' quotes inspire you?

I'm a quote collector. Sometimes when I can't find the words to say I read through my collection of quote and see something that says exactly what I was thinking. It amazes me that our connection with other people in the world expands beyond just the normal everyday interaction.

You can find quotes from all generations and walks of life. Sometimes individual quote can also provide you with a writing idea.

My question to you is 'are there any quotes that are important to you and why?'
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

Quotes With Meanings ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Quotes With Meanings Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Quotes With Meanings   Quotes With Meanings Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2008, 5:13 am

"The key that unlocks energy is desire. It's also the key to a long and interesting life. If we expect to create any drive, any real force within ourselves, we have to get excited." -- Earl Nightingale

This quote inspires me in so many ways. It can be applied to all areas of life. Thinking about these particular boards. Scribbles was just an idea at one point. It takes a lot of management to keep it going, trying to get members who are active and participating. Then it applies to my writing, when I reach a certain point in a piece it is either going to die off for a while or its going to keep going until it ends. Upon completion of a certain piece I'm sometimes so happy to share with others. Isn't that enthusiastic?
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
Kellycakes

Quotes With Meanings ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Quotes With Meanings Th_wel10

PostSubject: Re: Quotes With Meanings   Quotes With Meanings Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2008, 3:11 pm

I thought this was a very intelligent quote: "We aren’t what we ought to be. We aren’t what we’re going to be. We aren’t what we want to be. But, thank God, we aren’t what we were."

A lesson in leaving the past where it belongs, behind us perhaps?
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
Snacker

Quotes With Meanings ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : Quotes With Meanings Caring10

PostSubject: Re: Quotes With Meanings   Quotes With Meanings Icon_minitimeAugust 12th 2008, 3:13 am

'The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more,that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds!'

I really like this quote probably because I share a love like that. I never really thought about love and what it may be, or how exactly it may change my life. But when you think about it and you look into your partners eyes, and those things affect you, then you know you're there!
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
Bick

Quotes With Meanings ScribbleSuperr
Bick

Female
Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Quotes With Meanings   Quotes With Meanings Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2008, 2:17 am

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with one single step." - Lao Tzu

I think that's it. That was the quote they had at the first meeting for my College Program, it's a program for High School dropouts and I don't think I'll ever forget that quote, it really does mean a lot. Taking that first step on a journey, and when entering that program, that's exactly what I did. It's become one of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
soujiroseta

Quotes With Meanings ScribbleSuperr
soujiroseta

Male
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Quotes With Meanings   Quotes With Meanings Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 8:59 pm

my signature quotes are my favorites because i absolutely love words and finding out their meanings so i can use them appropriately in my stories, the other one is pretty self explainatory.
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Quotes With Meanings Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Quotes With Meanings Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Quotes With Meanings   Quotes With Meanings Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 9:08 pm

Two quotes that are my personal favorites are:

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us," Helen Keller.

The reason I like this quote is that it is true. We do tend to look at closed doors and never look at open doors. Its just the way we are as human beings.

"Men were born to succeed not to fail," Henry David Thoreau

The reason I like this quote is because its also true. Everyone say I can't when they can. If we didn't have the capabilities of winning then we could truly say we can't.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Quotes With Meanings ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Quotes With Meanings Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Quotes With Meanings   Quotes With Meanings Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2008, 10:53 pm

"There are only three ways to overcome your adversity, effort, planning, and prayer, and since no amount of effort or planning will make this rain stop, I suggest we start praying" I believe this was said by Patton, but I am not sure it was said by a general in war time, that much I know.

I like this one because it is a simple truth of life, and I like quotes that make complex things simple and straightforward.

"There are only two things a man needs to know, what he can do and what he can't do" Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbeans Curse of the Black Pearl.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quotes With Meanings   Quotes With Meanings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quotes With Meanings
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: