Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Greetings from Upstate New York Empty33%Greetings from Upstate New York Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Greetings from Upstate New York Empty67%Greetings from Upstate New York Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Greetings from Upstate New York EmptyGreetings from Upstate New York Voting_bar2Greetings from Upstate New York Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Greetings from Upstate New York EmptyGreetings from Upstate New York Voting_bar2Greetings from Upstate New York Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Greetings from Upstate New York

Go down 
+4
Kellycakes
Snacker
HYdraMStar
deathbypen
8 posters
AuthorMessage
deathbypen

Greetings from Upstate New York Scribbler-1
deathbypen

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Greetings from Upstate New York Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from Upstate New York   Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2008, 10:50 pm

Today I discovered an email inviting me to this site. It was great timing actually seeing as how the forum I used to visit is now largely inactive.

All the activity on the message boards is definitely encouraging. I can't wait to read the stories.

I write stories from time to time when my schedule allows it, but for the most part I'm an avid critiquer. I am always trying to improve my skills in editing and hope that those skills may lead to something outside of my current track in life.

I really don't critique poetry, but I enjoy reading it none the less.

~New York Bum
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

Greetings from Upstate New York Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Greetings from Upstate New York Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Upstate New York   Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2008, 10:55 pm

Welcome to the boards, and don't be sky about critiques where applicable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Snacker

Greetings from Upstate New York ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : Greetings from Upstate New York Caring10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Upstate New York   Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2008, 10:57 pm

Hi NY Bum Smile and welcome to Scribbles.

Glad to have you here. I hope to see some stories of you on the board as well, but that is up to you. Our writers are always glad when you give a critique to their stories.

Again welcome to our community!
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
deathbypen

deathbypen

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Upstate New York   Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2008, 11:11 pm

Thanks Hydra and Snacker. I appreciate the warm welcome.

How long has this website been around? I'm amazed at the activity.
Back to top Go down
Snacker

Greetings from Upstate New York ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : Greetings from Upstate New York Caring10

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Upstate New York   Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2008, 12:15 am

We started Scribbles on July 17th this year. Yeah I just recognized today that we have almost 2000 messages. It amazed me too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
Kellycakes

Greetings from Upstate New York ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Greetings from Upstate New York Th_wel10

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Upstate New York   Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2008, 12:23 am

Hi NY! Welcome to Scribbles, we are so happy to see so many new faces around here.

Although the site is still new what I love most about it, is its diversity. We have many different perspectives floating around and that makes for great debate and critiques. Again welcome to Scribbles, and start posting!
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
deathbypen

deathbypen

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Upstate New York   Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2008, 12:36 am

Wow, this is a great turnout considering how long this site has been up. My compliments to the recruiters.

I'd have to agree, Kellycakes, the diversity of the writers and of the forums is really encouraging. I've had the opportunity to read a few posts and I'm far from disappointed. The feedback from the Scribble community is really what sealed the deal as far as joining the site.
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

Greetings from Upstate New York ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Greetings from Upstate New York Th_wel10

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Upstate New York   Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2008, 12:56 am

Well thank you for joining our little family here. We are working hard to keep things going and hopefully we can do so for a long time to come.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
alexandra

Greetings from Upstate New York ScribbleSuperr
alexandra

Female
Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Upstate New York   Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2008, 2:52 am

Hello Deathbypen. Welcome on board

so you're the type of person who points others in the right direction? that's good, Look forward to having you telling me off then and hopefully read some of your work too when you've got time to post it

Back to top Go down
http://alexandrariera.spaces.live.com/
Bick

Greetings from Upstate New York ScribbleSuperr
Bick

Female
Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Upstate New York   Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2008, 7:00 am

Welcome Smile I love your avatar, btw. A HUGE fan of Snoopy.

Can't wait to see you around.

./loveandhugs

-Bick
Back to top Go down
deathbypen

deathbypen

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Upstate New York   Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2008, 5:20 pm

Well, I'm far from perfect, but I hope my two cents helps folks go in the direction they are looking for. I think critiquing as an editor is well...an editor's job. I like to critique as a reader, someone who doesn't tell writers how to write, but rather someone tells writers what I like to read.

Oh, thanks Bick. You're avatar is cute, too! I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me but I realized it blinks.
Back to top Go down
JuJu

Greetings from Upstate New York ScribblesPrincess-1
JuJu

Female
Number of posts : 287
Current Mood : Greetings from Upstate New York Th_alo10
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Upstate New York   Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2008, 8:27 pm

Welcome to scribbles NY, Hope you enjoy the site....Hugs JuJu
Back to top Go down
Rumpole

Greetings from Upstate New York NewScribbler-1
Rumpole

Male
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Upstate New York   Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2008, 2:42 pm

Greetings from Upstate New York Greet013 Hiya!
Back to top Go down
deathbypen

deathbypen

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Upstate New York   Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2008, 9:30 pm

Such a warm welcome from everyone. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Upstate New York   Greetings from Upstate New York Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Upstate New York
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Scribe (The Latest News Forum) :: Scribbles Appendages-
Jump to: