Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Who is your Hero? Empty33%Who is your Hero? Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Who is your Hero? Empty67%Who is your Hero? Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Who is your Hero? Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Who is your Hero? Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Who is your Hero? Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Who is your Hero? Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Who is your Hero? Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Who is your Hero? EmptyWho is your Hero? Voting_bar2Who is your Hero? Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Who is your Hero?

Go down 
+5
soujiroseta
Leaka
x_paramore
HYdraMStar
Bick
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Bick

Who is your Hero? ScribbleSuperr
Bick

Female
Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Who is your Hero? Empty
PostSubject: Who is your Hero?   Who is your Hero? Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 12:31 am

I found it rather sad, last week we were asked to think of our Hero. The person had to be famous enough that we could find articles, books or some sort of written information on them. I honestly had difficulty picking mine, and I’m not liking that flaw in me. Of course, the first person that came to my mind was Frank Sinatra, but he’s honestly not someone to look up to. During his lifetime all I can really recall is him looking sexy and wooing women with his gorgeous voice and natural suave. Then there was my favorite author, Walter Moers, who to this day awes me with his writing. With him though, he’s a recluse and I can’t find enough on him to do anything with.

That’s where it ended for me. I thought of Mary Mcleod Bethune, womans/african american rights activist, but I wanted someone I hadn’t studied in 6th grade (If I’m even thinking of the right woman!) There was MLK, but I wanted someone that no one really knew that well. Everyone was doing Malcolm X in our group, or some famous person they have the hots for.

I finally went with Stephen Hawking, who may not be my hero, but I consider him a hero nonetheless.

So, Who are your Heros?
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

Who is your Hero? Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Who is your Hero? Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Who is your Hero? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who is your Hero?   Who is your Hero? Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 12:41 am

As I state on my myspace page: "When you build others up as your heroes they almost always let you down in the end. So, it is best to live without such masters if one is able."

Sure there are people who I admire this or that aspect of their life or career, but there are always, ALWAYS, other aspects of their personality that I don't admire and/or out right detest.

So, I have no heroes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
x_paramore

Who is your Hero? Scribbler-1
x_paramore

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Who is your Hero? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who is your Hero?   Who is your Hero? Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2008, 2:39 pm

Back to top Go down
Leaka

Who is your Hero? Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Who is your Hero? Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Who is your Hero? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who is your Hero?   Who is your Hero? Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2008, 8:59 pm

I'm with Hydramaster.
I don't have a hero. The only hero in my life is me.
I have people that I look up to though.
Edgar Allan Poe, and it has nothing to do with his life I could care about that, because of his writing. His stories are what I look up to in the sense that is what I want to write and that gives me inspiration.
Back to top Go down
soujiroseta

Who is your Hero? ScribbleSuperr
soujiroseta

Male
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Who is your Hero? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who is your Hero?   Who is your Hero? Icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2008, 2:46 am

My hero is without a doubt is Steven Gerrard. He without a doubt one of the most inspiring individuals i have seen in my whole life.
Back to top Go down
Joe

Who is your Hero? NewScribbler-1

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Who is your Hero? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who is your Hero?   Who is your Hero? Icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2008, 4:34 pm

Heroes without flaws are called gods. Heroes with flaws are called humans. Most of my heroes never left as big a mark on the world as they did on me. They won't be found in the search engines of the internet but only in the search engine of my memories. If I had to choose one hero of fame it would be Lou Gherig. The Iron Man never felt as lucky in his successes on the diamond as he felt after amyatrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) taught him how lucky he had been.
Back to top Go down
Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon

Number of posts : 55

Who is your Hero? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who is your Hero?   Who is your Hero? Icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2008, 4:58 pm

I wouldn't call them my heroes but these are some of the people that I look up to:
Alexander the Great
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Joan of Arc
Zhou Yu
and Nietzsche

Edit: Oops, I forgot to add Socrates.

Last edited by Shadow Dragon on October 6th 2008, 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Teele

Teele

Male
Number of posts : 73

Who is your Hero? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who is your Hero?   Who is your Hero? Icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2008, 6:02 pm

I have no definitive heroes; people who I admire in every way, shape, and form. To mould yourself completely after another human being is to lose track of your own identity, and your own ability to be a hero yourself.

But, that being said, there are qualities in others that you can see, admire, and aspire to. For myself, I admire different people for different reasons.

Foremost, in writing, I admire JRR Tolkien for his amazing imagination, and the intricate and intimate detail he put into his stories and his world.

In music, I admire most composers for their ability to create such fine art (specifically Beethoven, Mozart, and Pachelbel). My modern-day musical hero would be David Gilmour of Pink Floyd, for his ability to make his guitar sing with unmatched soul and emotion.

As for personality, beliefs, and the deeper things in life, my heroes are ones you won't find on the Net or in a book. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.theclaybox.ca
Urs

Who is your Hero? ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Who is your Hero? Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Who is your Hero? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who is your Hero?   Who is your Hero? Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2008, 4:51 pm

If I had to take a Hero I would say Jesus known as the Christ.

He lived what he taught, followed the rules he set forth, and when all was said and done, he did what he did out of love and compassion, not worldly gain.

Beyond that, 2000 years after his death, he still making an impact on this world and helping everyday normal people turn their life around and make something of themselves, find love, and contentment in this world. And that IS saying something.

Too bad too many people sully his name and teachings with all kinds of religious mumbojumbo.

But that is my Hero.

there are other people that have talents and traits that I admire, and that list is quite long.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

Who is your Hero? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who is your Hero?   Who is your Hero? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who is your Hero?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: