Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Which would you prefer? Empty33%Which would you prefer? Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Which would you prefer? Empty67%Which would you prefer? Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Which would you prefer? EmptyWhich would you prefer? Voting_bar2Which would you prefer? Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Which would you prefer? EmptyWhich would you prefer? Voting_bar2Which would you prefer? Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Which would you prefer?

Go down 
+4
HYdraMStar
TerishD
JuJu
Kellycakes
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Kellycakes

Which would you prefer? ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Which would you prefer? Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Which would you prefer? Empty
PostSubject: Which would you prefer?   Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 4:16 pm

Growing up my family and I would sit around watching television quite often. As I got older however I turned to books to get my imagination going. Once it hit 11 or 12 I started writing my own stories.

What are your ideas on television interfering with children's imagination?
Is television a better inlet then reading?
Would you rather your child read or watch television?
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
JuJu

Which would you prefer? ScribblesPrincess-1
JuJu

Female
Number of posts : 287
Current Mood : Which would you prefer? Th_alo10
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Which would you prefer?   Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 4:55 pm

What are your ideas on television interfering with children's imagination? I don't think television interferes with their imagination. It definitely gives them a different way of looking at life....There are quite a bit of educational programs now a days for the children to learn from....However the programs only are on for a half hour where a book is there forever...2) Is television a better inlet then reading? No never ...when you pick up a book you are get more knowledge and remember more...In my opinion reading is the best way to get your mind flowing with advantage's , learning and keeps you thinking...3) Would you rather your child read or watch television? Definitely read they will learn more and have a better imagination...Books keep the mind going with words and knowledge and you can keep it forever....Television only last for a short time....So keep reading to keep the knowledges going....
Back to top Go down
TerishD

Which would you prefer? ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Which would you prefer? Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Which would you prefer?   Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 7:13 pm

Kellycakes asked - wrote:
1) Television did not interfere with mine, or my children. Now, however, I did not watch TV all day, and neither have my children. It is there. It gets turned on. It gets turned off.

2) No. Television is NOT a better inlet than reading.

3) Would you rather your child read or watch television. See #2. Read.

Let me say that I see in my children the same thing that happened to me. TV became boring. It is very repetitious, and eventually shows become very dull. If something catches our attention, we watch, but mostly we now predict the storyline after 5 minutes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Kellycakes

Which would you prefer? ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Which would you prefer? Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Which would you prefer?   Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 2:18 am

I agree Terish, television is quite boring at times. Most times here in our household the television is on but no one is really watching it.

Unless there is something special going on, such as a movie whose preview looks fascinating to me I doubt that I'd ever watch it.

As a child however; my parents allowed us to watch it, usually around the 8'oclock hour where family shows were of some importance. And we were given the opportunity to do what we want. I just wanted to know everyones opinion on whether or not it should be an important part of a child's growing process.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
HYdraMStar

Which would you prefer? Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Which would you prefer? Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Which would you prefer?   Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 3:40 am

Kellycakes wrote:

Question one, most of the children I know who watch a lot of television play games, even imaginary ones, centered around the themes and characters of their favorite shows. So, yes, it is interfering with their imagination, but then I've seen the same sorts of games played by other children who are really into the Harry Potter books. I think the real problem is, and a better question would be, how much is popular culture interfering with children's imagination?

Question two, no, it is not. For the most part, books force children to imagine what a character looks and sounds like. They have to picture movement and action in their heads. With television it's all right there on the screen for them. They don't have to think about or imagine it at all.

Question three, we don't have cable television. I'm against it on almost fundamental level, both form myself and my daughter. So, when the PBS daily line up of children's programing goes off at five in the afternoon her choice for entertainment are reading, playing outside, playing with the cat, or board games. I personally think this has made all the difference in the world with her.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
x_paramore

Which would you prefer? Scribbler-1
x_paramore

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Which would you prefer?   Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 5:07 pm

Obviously, books are better than TV. Maybe it's just me, but TV is the most boring invention ever. Haha. Seriously, I never watch it.. ever. Not that there's anything wrong with it, if it keeps kids quiet, I'm all for it. :P
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Which would you prefer?   Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 6:00 pm

x_paramore wrote:
... if it keeps kids quiet, I'm all for it. :P

I hope you don't have kids anytime in the near future, if you think keeping them quiet is, one, an important goal and, two, and obtainable one. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
x_paramore

x_paramore

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Which would you prefer?   Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 6:02 pm

Lol, all I know is, whenever I babysit, the TV always keeps them quiet and out of the way. :P

And I'm 16 so hopefully noooo not the near future. Hahaha.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: Which would you prefer?   Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 6:06 pm

x_paramore wrote:
Lol, all I know is, whenever I babysit, the TV always keeps them quiet and out of the way. :P

And I'm 16 so hopefully noooo not the near future. Hahaha.

Well, if you're 16 and you've babysat you obviously know more about parenting then I do. bounce
Back to top Go down
AliceInWonderland

AliceInWonderland

Female
Number of posts : 44
Current Mood : Which would you prefer? Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Which would you prefer?   Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2008, 3:49 pm

I never liked watching TV that much in my childhood. I always liked reading books, and in my opinion it is of a greater worth, because children learn to imagine the scene for themselves.
I watch TV once a week... when they're showing some funny shows.
Back to top Go down
Rumpole

Which would you prefer? NewScribbler-1
Rumpole

Male
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Which would you prefer?   Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 10:35 pm

I always perfer a good book to a great TV show. That being said, I would want my son (known from this point on as Little Rumpole: Future Ruler of Earth lol) to actually enjoy reading rather than me forcing him to do it.
Back to top Go down
Sanareth

Sanareth

Male
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Which would you prefer?   Which would you prefer? Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2008, 2:27 pm

Personally I think I'd prefer my children to read, because of all the joy and escape books have brought me. I don't think letting kids watch TV can be that much of a bad thing, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which would you prefer?   Which would you prefer? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which would you prefer?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: Scribbles Cafe'-
Jump to: