Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Empty33%Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Empty67%Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell EmptyJulia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Voting_bar2Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell EmptyJulia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Voting_bar2Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Phalen Schuyler

Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell NewScribbler-1
Phalen Schuyler

Female
Number of posts : 27
Current Mood : Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Th_sta10
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Empty
PostSubject: Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell   Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2008, 10:01 pm

It is said that she strides around in the dead of night
Some people are said to have fled in fright
Because her stately appearance is such a sight
But they say that she is always 'a moaning
Her cracked lips constantly issuing a groaning
And that she always draws a ragged breath
And they also say that it was her spouse that caused her death
Because of her burns, it is water she will always seek
Her life had ill turns, and she was frequently weak
Through the halls of the castle
She always roams
Her life there was a hassle
And she had to die there of all homes
They say that she always pleads for help
And that if you strain your ears
You can occasionally hear a yelp
And someone burst into tears
Then you know that it is Julia

Some people have learned
That she was once pushed into the flames
And that is how she was burned
And the person who did it remains unnamed
It is said that she always yearns
And something in your stomach churns
But some say 'tis just the wind
Or your mind, harking back on the times you have sinned
People stay away from that place
And only those wanting a thrill go there
Though they still make haste
But the one thing they want to see is her once-lovely face
And they also say that those who go in search for her never achieve that dream
But why people find her and some people don't, that will always be a sieve
But there is also a rumor that she was seen near a well
On the grounds of the place she will always dwell
Back to top Go down
http://www.writerscafe.org/writers/PhalenSchuyler/
TerishD

Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell Icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2008, 11:14 pm

Ack. I got the impression that you really did not check this one too well. I like rhyming ones, so did stop to read. The meter really threw me in places. It was inconsistent to the point that some rhymes did not work when they should have. I however appreciated that there was a hint of a story. I would suggest working with the couplets to even out the rhythm of the poem. If this poem was based on a real haunting, a little reference would be nice. Overall, I have to say to you the same thing I told Snacker, tossing out a rhyming one helps bring in those of us that are not really into poetry. So thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com

Julia, On the Grounds of the Place She Will Always Dwell
Page 1 of 1