Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Empty33%Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Empty67%Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain EmptyHello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Voting_bar2Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain EmptyHello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Voting_bar2Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain

Go down 
+2
TerishD
alexandra
6 posters
AuthorMessage
alexandra

Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain ScribbleSuperr
alexandra

Female
Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Empty
PostSubject: Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain   Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2008, 5:19 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Alexandra, I'm new here so hello to you all.

I've been reading some of the stories and paying attention to the comments. I like the comments (I also like the stories)

I look forward to posting some of my stories here for you to rip apart and in that way help me get better. I will also be commenting on the things/stories I read.

I must warn you that I'm not into poetry even if by some unknown mistake of my mind I've come up with at least four of those things. I'm more into short stories that range from 400 words to up to 2000 words but that's only because I don't have time for longer stories; well, perhaps the real reason is that I can't go on and on and on and on. I might improve that with time, who knows.

I hope this has been a decent introduction.
Back to top Go down
http://alexandrariera.spaces.live.com/
Snacker

Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Caring10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain   Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2008, 5:25 pm

Very decent introduction. Hi Alexandra and welcome to Scribbles...

I like the fact that you are willing to let the other Scribblers rip your stories apart and help you to get better and better. Some people are scared of criticism because it mostly tells you the things you don't want to hear. But you don't seem like being scared. I appreciate that and I'm looking forward to reading your work.

Have fun on the site!

Last edited by Snacker on August 19th 2008, 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
TerishD

Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2008, 5:25 pm

Cool, another story person. Welcome. I do the novels, you do the short stories, sounds like a plan. Glad to have you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
alexandra

alexandra

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain   Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2008, 5:31 pm

Here is the reply box! woohoo! thanks Snacker... stories are like babies, you create them and then it hurts when someone points something bad from it but it what helps you get that baby on the right path and that's why I appreciate criticism.

due to lack of time, I don't do much re-writing, I usually come up with the story in an hour (when I have that time for myself) and then post... but when I've been told to change things I've done it in my word document and then guess what? I forget to post the re-write.

and to you TerishD, I've seen your comments.... you're like a traffic warden, pointing in the right direction, and yes.. you do the novels and I do the short stories.

thank you both for this warm welcome..

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Snacker

Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Caring10

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain   Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2008, 5:36 pm

Yes I do agree with you about the baby thing. It is something you created by yourself. You put a lot of time in it and give it your full concentration. And then someone comes out of nothing and tells you that this and that just don't work.

I know sometimes it seems that it just isn't fair. But in my opinion it is a great thing. I like criticism as well. It tells you where to improve your writing (in case it is a criticism from Terish, Hydra and Kelly - always a great thing) and helps you leading your work on the right path.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
Kellycakes

Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Th_wel10

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain   Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2008, 6:51 pm

Welcome Alexandra! Glad you've made it over to our little area of cyberworld. And another story person. Very lovely. I hope you are enjoying your time here and I can't wait to see what you have to offer.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
HYdraMStar

Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain   Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2008, 8:30 pm

Hello and welcome!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
alexandra

alexandra

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain   Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 12:53 pm

Hello Kellycakes and hydra

thanks for welcome!

I'll be posting stories as I make them (more or less) there's no point in posting old ones....
Back to top Go down
JuJu

Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain ScribblesPrincess-1
JuJu

Female
Number of posts : 287
Current Mood : Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Th_alo10
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain   Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 5:23 pm

Welcome Alexandra, Hope you enjoy scribbles.If you need anything just give us a yell....Welcome .....Hugs Jules
Back to top Go down
alexandra

alexandra

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain   Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 4:05 pm

Hi Juju! no yelling yet.....

not yet.... hahaha

I appreciate the welcome very much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain   Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from a newbie in Valencia, Spain
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Scribe (The Latest News Forum) :: Scribbles Appendages-
Jump to: