Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
A Question of Race Empty33%A Question of Race Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
A Question of Race Empty67%A Question of Race Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
A Question of Race Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
A Question of Race Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
A Question of Race Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
A Question of Race Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
A Question of Race Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
A Question of Race EmptyA Question of Race Voting_bar2A Question of Race Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

A Question of Race

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
HYdraMStar

A Question of Race Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : A Question of Race Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

A Question of Race Empty
PostSubject: A Question of Race   A Question of Race Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2008, 11:13 am

This is an 'article' I wrote this weekend and just put up on my blog, but I thought you guys might enjoy discussing it. It could have just as easily gone up in the poetry forum, but it's not what I think most people would consider traditional poetry. Hope you like it... or at least get it.

Am I White?

I mean to say, am I White enough to rightfully call myself White? Is 3/4 enough White blood to be White? Or do the old rules of 1/8 still apply? I think there are many, perhaps those who have outfits made from bed sheets, that would tell me I am not. Still others who’d call on me to take pride in my White lineage and take the lead from some of my relations and ‘pass‘. While others ask of me that I honor my darker fleshed ancestors.

Certainly, I don’t suggest I’ve had the life experiences of someone more non-White then myself. Not when so many people look at me and see my blond hair and green eyes and assume all manner of things about me; some good, some negative. So, is that where my answer lies? Are we what our life experiences make us? Is race as much a state of mind as it is heritage? Is it perception? It must be. There is very little science to support it and it's been called man's most dangerous myth. Should I get one of those genealogy charts done, where they take your DNA and compare it to that of others and then divided you into dots on a map, and answer the question that way?

Do I get any say in the matter? Of course not, I think. But if I could pick for myself I believe I would choose to be Asian. I would then use my superior math skills to prove I’m not a demure flower. Though, my dirty mouth that is connect to my dirty mind normally does a sufficient job of proving that. Maybe, I should be Hindu or a Jew. But are those religions or races? I’m so confused.

And why do some many people, most whom I’ve never met, care what my ultimate answer is? They put it on all the in style online surveys. Because, it suggest to them how they should relate to me? Because, it tells them what words I’m allowed to use? Does it make my ‘Blondes Have More Fun’ tee-shirt more acceptable if I check other or mixed? Can I still not be a racist and be proud of being Southern if I check White? All indications point towards, no.

What is the answer? Someone tell me, please. Or tell me simply that it does not matter. I promise I’ll try to believe.

I think I shall close this rambling with a line I recently read on a bumper sticker, “We are all African-American… if you go back far enough.”
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
TerishD

A Question of Race ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : A Question of Race Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

A Question of Race Empty
PostSubject: Reply   A Question of Race Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2008, 11:28 am

I like that last line. I teach at a black school, and often tell uppity kids, "You might be African-American, but that does not make you black. Not all blacks are African, and not all Africans are black. Now, if you want to brag about the color of your skin, give me a reasonable proclamation."

My Ward surname is English. No male in the line has married an English wife however. We have Scots, Irish, whatever (my mother's father said, "I am everything but black, and wouldn't admit it if I was") with me marrying a cajun (French background) and then a Russian. I am thus an odd mixture (and my children as well).

Humans are a social animal, and race is a quick division of societies. We thus fixate on race (and gender - one's duties within the society). We have always been a wandering species however, so have always interacted. Having various personalities, our responses in meeting others is also varied (same in dealing with the opposite sex). Finding a common ground is however not a problem with dealing with race or sex, but simply in dealing with other people. When faced with a situation of dealing directly with each other, most do rather well. It is historically group pressure that causes conflict. As great as the population today is, we have the challenge to focus on individuals. Those that can accomplish that, can usually see the good in all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Kellycakes

A Question of Race ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : A Question of Race Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

A Question of Race Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Question of Race   A Question of Race Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2008, 11:39 am

Well put, I believe everyone questions their purity? I actually had a hard time growing up. When I was younger I was called everything but what I really was, problem is I began believing it. Hell I was Mexican from 5 to 12 and I didn't know one drop of the Spanish language. People put a lot on outside appearances.

I remember taking the (practice) SAT's in High School and on the test you had to put your race. I didn't understand why, to compare intellects? Well they didn't have 'mixed' or 'bi-racial', you were either one or the other and I was both. So I asked the person who was watching over the room and she said; "You're black, you look black although you could probably pass for Hispanic." And so I began.

"Look lady, I'm not only black but yes you are right, my father is of African American decent. My mother however is Polish, and I'm very proud to be a mixture of them."

"Well you can check one or the other, if you check both your scores won't count."

My mother arrived at the board of education the next morning. I'm not sure of what was said but another test date was set and I along with everyone who was in the room the day of the first test, took the test. They made the race question optional but they also included the phrase: Check all that apply. A small step for my peace of mind I guess. I scored in the top 10 percentile for the State of Michigan. Go figure.

Little things like this bugged the hell out of me growing up. What am I?

Quote :
I think there are many, perhaps those who have outfits made from bed sheets, that would tell me I am not.
You bet your ass!

Quote :
What is the answer? Someone tell me, please. Or tell me simply that it does not matter. I promise I’ll try to believe.

I can't tell you it doesn't matter because it does. I can't tell you the answer because I'm in the same boat.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
Kellycakes

A Question of Race ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : A Question of Race Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

A Question of Race Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Question of Race   A Question of Race Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2008, 11:47 am

Quote :
When faced with a situation of dealing directly with each other, most do rather well. It is historically group pressure that causes conflict.

My mother was disowned by her entire family, except for one sister. My grandparents didn't care that she was 'with' a 'black' guy until one of her older brothers came to them and told them it was wrong to mix races. This is where the problems began. My grandfather still didn't care much but my grandmother was in agreement with her son and therefore took his advice.

I remember hearing the word 'nigger' for the first time at her funeral. My mother came to pay her last respects even though she had be 'disowned' she still loved her mother. But there was a group people standing in the aisles and one of them commented; 'she needs to get those little niggers out of here.'. I was young and didn't know the meaning of the word but I knew it wasn't good.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
HYdraMStar

A Question of Race Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : A Question of Race Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

A Question of Race Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Question of Race   A Question of Race Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2008, 12:25 pm

Kelly, here in North Carolina, up until the early or mid-60s I believe, there were only two options on birth records, Black or White. Mostly the choice was made on what the race of the mother was. If you were Hispanic or Native American or even Asian it was a tossup which one you where deemed to be. This has made for a lot of murky racial identity for a lot of folks.

You basically need a pen, pad, and some sort of pie chart to figure out my racial makeup. It doesn't help that many of my relatives are flat out in denial that we are anything but pure WASPs.

These days I just answer 'mixed' when that's an option or decline to answer at all when I don't think it should at all matter, which a fair majority of the time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

A Question of Race Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Question of Race   A Question of Race Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Question of Race
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: