Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Your Hobbies? Empty33%Your Hobbies? Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Your Hobbies? Empty67%Your Hobbies? Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Your Hobbies? EmptyYour Hobbies? Voting_bar2Your Hobbies? Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Your Hobbies?

Go down 
+10
Phalen Schuyler
Michael Pasquale
Sanareth
AliceInWonderland
Kellycakes
HYdraMStar
VergilSparda
Snacker
TerishD
Saphira
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Saphira

Your Hobbies? ScribbleSuperr
Saphira

Female
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2008, 3:48 am

Hey Smile
I would like to know with pleasure what you do in your spare time. Which sport, write, just laying around being lazy... Everything interests me Like a Star @ heaven

Would be great if you would tell me :P

My hobbies:
I hate sports. I also do not need it. I like to eat anything I want. I do not get fat. I enjoy drawing, on canvases also. I am a moderator on a German forum (is exactly same like here). The forum takes up a lot of my time. To finish a lot affraid .

Everybody can imagine: My passion is poetry. 2 years ago I have discovered it.
My whole time is also planned with it.

Saphira Like a Star @ heaven

Last edited by Saphira on August 3rd 2008, 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TerishD

Your Hobbies? ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Your Hobbies? Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2008, 9:00 am

Well, I have my turtles. A whole side of my yard has been modified to make a home for turtles. I have three small ponds, two of which have waterfalls, a nice long stream, and a number of plants. I have about 6 land turtles (three-toed box), 4 red-ears (with many babies each year), 3 stinkpots (and babies this year), and a snapper (I want more snappers so I can have those babies). The turtle area gives me enjoyment and something to do.

I worked most of my life as a computer programmer, and I have a dream of writing a computer on-line game (something very different than what is presently available). I thus will sometimes work on writing code. One day it might happen.

I do like American Football. I am not an avid fan, but when it is football season I will watch the games and talk about the games and teams. Normally I work on my writing and stuff while watching my turtles or listening to music, but during football season I will do my stuff while watching football.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Snacker

Your Hobbies? ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : Your Hobbies? Caring10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2008, 4:17 pm

Wow that sounds very interesting Terish. I try to imagine how everything looks. Maybe you can put a few pictures of the turtles and their whole territory in the gallery so we can take a look?!

I used to draw a lot. Only pencil drawings. I always wanted to try drawing with coal, but it never really happened. The hard part on using coal is that you can erase anything. It would smear anything, and that is not the how it works. I always try to outline everything the way I want it in the beginning, so I don't have to erase anything. Doesn't work all the time though!

I don't know if you can say that listening to music is a hobby, but it is something I do very often. I wish I could play the guitar and could compose songs by myself. Maybe it'll happen one day.

If I would still have roller blades it would be on here too. My brother and I used to drive hundreds of miles in a year with roller blades. We also used to go to skate parks.

I like Football as well and can't wait for the season to start again!
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
VergilSparda

Your Hobbies? NewScribbler-1
VergilSparda

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2008, 1:03 am

I'm trying to learn Japanese and French at the same times, and I'm really into video games, I found Devil May Cry just a while ago, my sister started playing it and then I did, it's really awesome. I love reading and writing, I mostly read manga, and chaptered books, hey, I am 13 :P. I write a lot of different stuff too, killers, romance, random fiction, it's fun. I like watching Anime as well, it's interersting, as well, I've just started Devil May Cry anime, only 12 episodes though Sad and I'm watching Fruits Basket as well, I have two good fan fictions going on about both of them right now. It's fun, and I attempt to play with my puppy here and there. I spend most of my time on World of Warcraft, and writing sites, as well as aim and on Microsoft Word. xDDDD
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

Your Hobbies? Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Your Hobbies? Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2008, 6:59 am

Besides writing and reading related outlets...

I do woodburnings. Basically that is burning designs and pictures into pieces of wood by use of super headed metal pencil. Mostly I make Ouija boards for sale in local and online shops, but it's more or an artistic release then a money making scheme.

I also do a lot of cooking, vegetarian cuisine, but I don't know that I'd consider that a hobby. It's more of a survival response.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Kellycakes

Your Hobbies? ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Your Hobbies? Th_wel10

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2008, 11:21 am

I'm not really sure I have a hobby, perhaps sometimes I dabble in things.

I'm an avid reader. I enjoy drawing sketching occasionally.

I'm a moderator on another forum, I try to keep updates on my personal site, the other forum, I have two Myspace pages, my personal and a spiritual one. Now I also co-work with the admins here on the forums and the Scribbles Myspace page. So basically I spend a lot of time online.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
AliceInWonderland

Your Hobbies? Scribbler-1
AliceInWonderland

Female
Number of posts : 44
Current Mood : Your Hobbies? Thinki10

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2008, 12:40 pm

I like to go out with my boyfriend/friends or just talking with them about just anything. I like these "What if..." questions very much. We often play games to, stuff like "Activity"...
What I also like is travelling. Am always interested in new cultures.
Furthermore I paint, read or I spend time with my parrot, because I like animals so much. Another thing I like to do is going to a lake or even to the sea, hanging around there, swimming...
Back to top Go down
Sanareth

Sanareth

Male
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2008, 1:02 pm

I love fencing, I have lessons once a week. I also enjoy caving, ut I've only been twice thanks to my claustrophobic family. Cycling's fun as well.
If we want to talk passions, as well as writing I'll say flute- and keyboard-playing too. How many of you have felt the perfomence buzz? Way better than any drug you can buy. Smile

~Sanareth
Back to top Go down
Saphira

Saphira

Female

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2008, 4:17 pm

xD yes of course ^^
Back to top Go down
Michael Pasquale

Michael Pasquale

Male
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2008, 6:29 pm

Besides reading and writing, I enjoy listening to music, hiking, rock climbing (only when I travel out of Florida), camping, biking, drawing (though not much these days... I don't know why), playing with my 3 kids, letting my giant dog chew on my hand, surfing the internet and everything else I forgot to mention. Oh yeah, I do play video games, though only when I can get the kids off of them when we are actually home. I also enjoy cooking, though I won't eat my own stuff and I enjoy eating twizzlers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/michaelpasquale
Saphira

Saphira

Female

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2008, 5:29 am

You all have nice hobbies Smile
Thank you for write here :P

Saphira Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Phalen Schuyler

Your Hobbies? NewScribbler-1
Phalen Schuyler

Female
Number of posts : 27
Current Mood : Your Hobbies? Th_sta10

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2008, 3:09 pm

My hobby? COOKING!!! I plan meals more than once a week and make dinner for my family. I plan on going to a culinary school after I graduate from high school. (1 year!). I also love to bake cookies, and I've even made up two recipes of my own. Orange Roll cookies and Chocolate-Strawberry cookies.

I also love to listen to music, read, and watch T.V. My family thinks that I'm weird because I'll do all three at the same time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.writerscafe.org/writers/PhalenSchuyler/
Bick

Bick

Female
Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 4:27 pm

Quote :
Well, I have my turtles. A whole side of my yard has been modified to make a home for turtles. I have three small ponds, two of which have waterfalls, a nice long stream, and a number of plants. I have about 6 land turtles (three-toed box), 4 red-ears (with many babies each year), 3 stinkpots (and babies this year), and a snapper (I want more snappers so I can have those babies). The turtle area gives me enjoyment and something to do.

Oh wow! That sounds amazing. I’ve always had a huge love for animals in general, but I can’t imagine how beautiful that must be. Must be a little bit of heaven for you.
Quote :
I used to draw a lot. Only pencil drawings. I always wanted to try drawing with coal, but it never really happened. The hard part on using coal is that you can erase anything. It would smear anything, and that is not the how it works. I always try to outline everything the way I want it in the beginning, so I don't have to erase anything. Doesn't work all the time though!

That’s pretty awesome! I’ve tried coal drawing myself. It’s… difficult to say the least. That’s very cool that you’ve draw. Anything you like to draw on a general basis? I have this thing for Disney movie characters, or old cartoons.
Quote :
My hobby? COOKING!!! I plan meals more than once a week and make dinner for my family. I plan on going to a culinary school after I graduate from high school. (1 year!). I also love to bake cookies, and I've even made up two recipes of my own. Orange Roll cookies and Chocolate-Strawberry cookies.

Your definitely my kind of person :P I have the same plan, Culinary arts school. I’m aiming for that once I get out my College Program Smile That sounds fantastic, your recipes! I’ve made a few recipes of my own, though I haven’t given them names. But, very cool!

Hobby-wise, I do love to cook and bake. I’m really into stir-frying, and soups. I’m starting to dabble with other things of course, but I’m not much of a risk-taker and it takes me a while to get out of my safety zone. Baking is a big hobby, I bake a lot. I never bake for myself, it’s all for the enjoyment and smiles of others.

I’m not much of a writer anymore, but I still have the habits from when I was writing. I watch people, not in the creepy way. I like to think of them as characters, I suppose. I’m known for going up to people and talking to them about themselves. It’s… not a bad habit but it certainly is an odd habit.

Other then that I have the normal. Reading, TV(Comedy Central), socializing, random graphic art here and there, drawing/sketching, and then the random hiking and biking when I have the time.
Back to top Go down
Snacker

Snacker

Male

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 6:31 pm

Bick wrote:

That’s pretty awesome! I’ve tried coal drawing myself. It’s… difficult to say the least. That’s very cool that you’ve draw. Anything you like to draw on a general basis? I have this thing for Disney movie characters, or old cartoons.

I draw in a comic style. It's a while ago since I drew though. You said you're drawing on the computer correct? Do you have one of those programs for the computer or what exactly do you use?
Back to top Go down
Bick

Bick

Female

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 9:26 pm

Quote :
I draw in a comic style. It's a while ago since
I drew though. You said you're drawing on the computer correct? Do you
have one of those programs for the computer or what exactly do you use?

I've never been able to do comics :x I'm not sure why. It's awful when you have the ideas, but you don't have the skills or tools to let those ideas out.

I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8, I bought it a while back, and I've just never wanted to get anything newer. I have a wacom tablet I use, if you have any idea what that is...
Back to top Go down
Snacker

Snacker

Male

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 9:29 pm

Yeah I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9 and I'm very happy with the program. I'm not quite sure but I think that is that tablet where you can write and draw on with a special pen right?
Back to top Go down
Bick

Bick

Female

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 9:33 pm

Awesome! Jasc is wonderful, it was sad when they were bought out Dx

Yes sir, that's exactly what it is. It's basically a plastic thing, covered with another plastic thing, with a pen. (I'm so magically descriptive, I know. tongue ) I'm hoping to get a larger one eventually. Mines 9 by 6 I think. Something around there. They're handy, and actually have a mouse that goes with them, so... a mouse isn't really needed.
Back to top Go down
Snacker

Snacker

Male

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 9:34 pm

Yeah I always wanted to have one of them, but they were so damn expensive in Switzerland. How much do you pay for them here?
Back to top Go down
Bick

Bick

Female

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 10:05 pm

Mine from a year ago (August) was 99 +tax. If you do get one, I'd suggest Wacom, they are the best brand for tablets, from what all my friends have said. I've never had a problem with my Wacom. The larger ones are from 180-200+ But just the normal, smaller ones are usually around 90+, though my friend had found one for around 48, but she said it was VERY cheap, small and she had a lot of trouble with it.
Back to top Go down
soujiroseta

soujiroseta

Male
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 3:09 am

i have four main hobbies which i practise with religious regularity

1. I write. Writing has been my passion for a long time wether its poetry or prose i just write because i love it.

2. Gaming. I love to play games. In my spare time thats all i do. I play things like R6Vegas 1&2, Devil May Cry 4, FIFA, FEAR, CRYSIS, Gears Of War, Call Of Duty 4 and the like.

3. Anime. I am really into anime. I watch a lot of it especially recently ive even started my own collection and just finished watching Samurai Champloo which was great.

4. Football/soccer. I am a die hard Liverpool FC fan. I support them no matter the circumstance and have dreams of one day supporting them from the Stands of the Kop End.
Back to top Go down
Teele

Teele

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2008, 12:31 pm

Well, I have a broad array of hobbies, AND ITS SITLL NOT ENOUGH!!! lol. A lot of things interest me, and there's lots I'd really like to get into. For now, though, writing is my main hobby. I write fantasy, mostly, based on my own custom world, but I've taken a break from my novels to hone my skills here on the forums. And it's working. Smile

Music is also a huge passion of mine. I play guitar, I have an electric (Fender Strat, for those interested) and an acoustic (Norman), and I'm going to get a classical soon. I love classic rock 'n roll, complete with long, melodic solos, etc. Mostly, I just make up my own stuff when I play. I'm a good improviser. I also like classical guitar, and I'd like to learn more of it.

Next on the list, and the hobby that will eventually become my bread and butter, is computers! I'm taking a Bachelor's in Computer Science, and I love it! Programming, web design, network administration, database administration, and UNIX all intrigue me.

I also love to roleplay! I do D&D (or Star Wars) when I find someone to play, but since gaming partners are scarce around here, I just roleplay on the forums! No complex rules, but still fun. Wink

I used to be big into video gaming, but my love of it has dropped off in the past year or three. When I do play, I like to engage my mind for the most part; strategy or roleplaying. But, a good senseless shooter is fun every once in a while, too!

As to the stuff I WANT to do: I'm interested especially in drawing and anime/manga. I'd like to learn how to draw properly someday. I'd also like to do photography, join a basketball team, learn solid-state electronics and particle physics, and yeah. Lots more! lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theclaybox.ca
Leaka

Your Hobbies? Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Your Hobbies? Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Your Hobbies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Hobbies?   Your Hobbies? Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2008, 12:43 pm

My Hobbies:
Write
Make Graphics
Make homemade gifts
Bake
Cycle
Skate
Make music
Listen to music
Dance
Swim
Play with my cat