Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
A very helpful tool Empty33%A very helpful tool Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
A very helpful tool Empty67%A very helpful tool Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
A very helpful tool Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
A very helpful tool Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
A very helpful tool Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
A very helpful tool Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
A very helpful tool Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
A very helpful tool EmptyA very helpful tool Voting_bar2A very helpful tool Empty 
TerishD (1441)
A very helpful tool EmptyA very helpful tool Voting_bar2A very helpful tool Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

A very helpful tool

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael Pasquale

A very helpful tool Scribbler-1
Michael Pasquale

Male
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-07-22

A very helpful tool Empty
PostSubject: A very helpful tool   A very helpful tool Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2008, 1:42 am

Hey all!!

For those of you who enjoy writing fiction, here is a great site to use as a tool:

http://www.writingfordollars.com

They have a decent list of various paying magazines for you to choose from. Read them carefully because there are only a small handful that accept shorts and things, as opposed to articles. Well, maybe there are more than just a handful, but the list should help give you something to strive for.

I am working on a feature article for one of the family magazines listed there. So, it is worth taking a look.

They also have a fun newsletter that is free for you to subscribe to as well. It is loaded with helpful info, as well as every back-issued newsletter, is archived there as well, so you can simply perform searches too!! Handy stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/michaelpasquale
HYdraMStar

A very helpful tool Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : A very helpful tool Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: A very helpful tool   A very helpful tool Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2008, 2:03 am

ralan.com is also a great site for finding paying markets for short fiction. They also list many 'for the love' markets for those who are more concerned about establishing a name then getting paid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Michael Pasquale

Michael Pasquale

Male

PostSubject: Re: A very helpful tool   A very helpful tool Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2008, 9:11 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:
ralan.com is also a great site for finding paying markets for short fiction. They also list many 'for the love' markets for those who are more concerned about establishing a name then getting paid.

Correct me if I am wrong, but since most writers who write to try and make it their "profession", don't they write to get paid AND build a name for themselves?

I'm sorry, but I love writing to the core, but if I can get paid to do what I love... All the better.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

A very helpful tool Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : A very helpful tool Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: A very helpful tool   A very helpful tool Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2008, 10:28 pm

Michael Pasquale wrote:
HYdraMStar wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but since most writers who write to try and make it their "profession", don't they write to get paid AND build a name for themselves?

I'm sorry, but I love writing to the core, but if I can get paid to do what I love... All the better.

I hear this A LOT... mostly from new writers who are all wide-eyed and think they are going to be the next Stephen King or Anna Rice over night... Oh, the humanity!

Yes, you are right it is better to get paid then not get paid, but if you're completely unwilling to every write and publish anything without getting paid for it you are in the wrong business. Because it happens all the time. In both fiction and non-fiction.

The key to not getting taken advantage of is, you got to know when to take a trade off and when to pass.

If a non-paying market can expose you and your work to a few thousand readers who have never heard of you and may not hear of you otherwise, but after hearing of you will be interested in buying your latest or first novel tossing them a six page short story free of charge could make you a lot of money. This would be a smart thing to do.

If a non-paying market is only on its second, third, or Satan help them taking submissions for their very first publication and their whole marketing plan is a myspace.com page with a couple hundred friends, keep on walking. The really smart upstart publication will throw you at least a ten spot, just to show that they are serious and have the money to do marketing right.

Bottom line, you got to know the markets you are submitting to and the fan base you are trying to reach.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Michael Pasquale

Michael Pasquale

Male

PostSubject: Re: A very helpful tool   A very helpful tool Icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2008, 12:02 am

LOL... Yes. Oh the humanity. I have had some things published that I did not get paid for (on purpose - for exposure), but at this point in time during the game... I would rather get paid. If it works for you to write and get no monetary compensation from it, then that is your choice. Me personally... I would do it again if it would balance out in the long run, but in most cases... It simply just does not.

You can write if you'd like for free, but I just wrote an article/review and made $130 for it. I am working on a feature article that will pay me $250. Both of these will give me exposure, just the same as you writing for nothing. I don't know about you or anyone else on here, but I have bills to pay and if my writing can help pay not only those bills, but also help support my three children, then you can keep your free-be writing for yourself, thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A very helpful tool   A very helpful tool Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A very helpful tool
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: